A thought on hexayurts.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Which should I use to build my Hexayurts?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:46 pm

3/4" Plywood?
12%
1/2" Plywood?
12%
Rigid foam insulation?
76%

Total votes : 17

Postby JStep » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:13 pm

TomServo wrote:IMHO, they look like a pile of trash. And I wonder how many of them become one, right after the event?

I'm sure a hell of a lot fewer than the tents that get tossed.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 pm

TomServo wrote:IMHO, they look like a pile of trash. And I wonder how many of them become one, right after the event?

Which sort of reminds me of a virgin burner that came in late and said "Oh my god, what have I gotten myself into--this place looks like a refugee village." I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TomServo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

jkisha wrote:

Which sort of reminds me of a virgin burner that came in late and said "Oh my god, what have I gotten myself into--this place looks like a refugee village." I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

JK

Ok...so that same thought came into my mind after I posted. But seriously...foam insulation? Imagine some drunk falling onto one of these yurts... does every burner hop into action to collect all the pieces? Tents aren't much prettier, but they don't break apart into a thousand pieces.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Casanova » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:29 pm

@ jk .. Yea we ran out of tape.. I guess four rolls wasn't enough

@ Tom .. that would almost never happn because they would trip over the rebar before ever getting close enough to knock over a hexayurt
Casanova

Postby TomServo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Casanova wrote:@ jk .. Yea we ran out of tape.. I guess four rolls wasn't enough

@ Tom .. that would almost never happn because they would trip over the rebar before ever getting close enough to knock over a hexayurt

Another reason....and I promise to keep my t post spiel to myself

TomServo

Postby maryanimal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 pm

I think the yurts look cute! I want a pink one!! :D
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby BAS » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:03 pm

(briefly imagines building one out of solid steel, then remembers ovens are made out of steel, and decides to keep idea to himself)
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Casanova wrote:@ jk .. Yea we ran out of tape.. I guess four rolls wasn't enough

Trip over the rebar? Don't know how that would be possible--the rebar is less than 3" away from each corner of the yurt. Nothing to trip on at all.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 pm

TomServo wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

Ok...so that same thought came into my mind after I posted. But seriously...foam insulation? Imagine some drunk falling onto one of these yurts... does every burner hop into action to collect all the pieces? Tents aren't much prettier, but they don't break apart into a thousand pieces.

I imagine a drunk falling into it could cause some damage, though the way our camp is set up, it's highly unlikely. Though a drunk falling onto a tent could also cause damage--snap a tent pole, break something that was inside the tent. Hell, it could get struck by lighting while out there, or a spark could set it on fire, or some idiot could back into it with their car. OMG it's way too dangerous at Burning Man. I'm not going anymore! :(

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 pm

maryanimal wrote:I think the yurts look cute! I want a pink one!! :D

You could do pink. Actually, there are some people, way more artistic than I, that paint them up and they are actually awesome to look at. I'm more concerned with the utilitarian aspects.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:01 am

jkisha wrote:
TomServo wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

I imagine a drunk falling into it could cause some damage, though the way our camp is set up, it's highly unlikely. Though a drunk falling onto a tent could also cause damage--snap a tent pole, break something that was inside the tent. Hell, it could get struck by lighting while out there, or a spark could set it on fire, or some idiot could back into it with their car. OMG it's way too dangerous at Burning Man. I'm not going anymore! :(

JK

Who said it was dangerous? Unless a gasoline truck backed into it and created a pile of foil infused Napalm...I just don't like em....and you should know Mr.Kisha...everyone has their own opinion on eplaya.

TomServo

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:48 am

plywood plus the cost of fasteners will be a lot more than the foil faced rigid foam. Fasteners are moopy, getting dropped into the dust. Duct tape doesn't stick real well to dusty plywood. It is easier to wipe the dust off the foil prior to taping the joints. Fencing T stakes can be used as additional support and drunk repellent. A quick wrap with plastic wrap will keep tape from being a permanent part of the stake.

Maybe if you do a cosmic alignment on a bunch of aluminum yurts you can make a giant reflector to 'flash' the man at sunrise or sunset depending on which side of the city you set up on..

have fun
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:32 am

I know you wrote a rude and retarted post on one of my threads, but I'm not like u..

@Cassanova
Though I posted that "Rude and Retarded" comment after your magical transformation. I thought it was spot on with subject. Quite clever and funny.
If you don't believe me, just ask me.

I'm not asking how to do anything in this post. I live in Eugene.....I think I know how to keep things dry.
I am also quite aware of how hot it gets at Burningman. You had it easy this year.
As far as staking.....I use 2.5' rebar stakes that I bent at the top to look like candy canes. This way they can be pounded all the way to the ground. The only thing that can get them out of the ground is a long prybar and sweat.

So, now back to the topic.

Yeah I don't really like the idea of foam being so brittle. That foam gets everywhere.

@espressodude
The cost would be about the same, if not cheaper for the plywood version.
Door hinges from a recycling yard=cheap. Moopy? You're kidding right? the screws would already be in the wood except for a few. I think I can handle bringing a magnet anyway. Problem solved.
I don't think I'll be using duct tape anyway. I like the nylon strap idea for the joints anyway.
¡Niers!

Postby lucky420 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 am

[quote]IMHO, they look like a pile of trash. And I wonder how many of them become one, right after the event?

To damn expensive to just toss out. With my boards and tape it cost about $500. My boards are stacked neatly in the garage...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 am

The foam doesn't really get brittle, or hasn't for me. As far as foam getting everywhere, you tape all the exposed ends/sides so that it doesn't. The only time I had loose foam was when I was pre-cutting the panels in my garage. If you cut on the playa yeah it would be big moop. I also got the bright idea to paint the outside panels where the "R" logo was. For some reason the paint got sweaty and made the tape difficult to stick at first. Later in the day the sun dried it out and no problem (it was kind of worrisome at first). During the dust storm thursday or friday we hunkered down and drew a fascinating mural on one of the inside roof panels (fascinating to us that is). :wink:
lucky420

Postby JStep » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:07 am

¡Niers! wrote:
I know you wrote a rude and retarted post on one of my threads, but I'm not like u..

Yeah I don't really like the idea of foam being so brittle. That foam gets everywhere.

As per the link I posted (http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_playa) I would stay away from foam or plywood for a couple reasons. 1) the aforementioned MOOP 2) Thermax with foil facing out would be cooler 3) plywood is WAY heavier and thus more difficult to deal with and costly (in gas money) to haul.

Also note:
From the appropedia link: "One material you should not use is plywood, or any other heavy building material. The strength-to-weight ratios of plywood does not work well with the Hexayurt design. It's too heavy. They could hurt somebody. "

A drunk falling onto thermax might damage the yurt, but the material will not break apart into little MOOPy bits, it's basically fiberglass with a foil coating. A drunk falling into a plywood yurt might cause it to collapse onto anyone inside due to the lower strength to weight ratio.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby lucky420 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:34 pm

JStep is right use thermax or rmax. No way you could use uncovered foam boards....I don't think the tape would stick very well either.
lucky420

Postby ¡Niers! » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Well, I may be using the wrong term when I say foam. I'm referring to Rigid Foam insulation....and what I mean when I say that is Thermax. Again, I might be wrong, but I'm sure we are talking about the same things anyway.

I dunno, I spose I'm now leaning toward using Rigid foam (Thermax). I just can't seem to get past the thought of how heavy one would be if made with plywood.

@Jstep
You do bring up a good point. The strength to weight ratio might be an issue, and I would hate to find out the hard way, mid week in Black Rock.
¡Niers!

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:16 am

Again, you'd need plywood about five times the thickness of the foam sheets to give the same insulation value.

I partly agree with the foam haters -- if I wanted to take the time and reserve the space for building & storing one of these things I'd make frames using 2x2 or 2x3 lumber and sandwich the foam between sheets of 1/4" plywood.

A friend of mine got good results quilting bubble wrap insulation between two layers of cheap tarp, and hanging it over a flea market type EMT awning.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping