2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Hormones.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ranger Genius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:13 pm

gyre wrote:I don't know about everyone else on here, but I am comfortable in some very different social circles.
It keeps life interesting.

That's because you're oblivious to the fact that you're annoying the hell out of everyone around you.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Kiro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:59 pm

An FAQ section seems an obvious and easy fix for most of the new member questions. It could/should be a snark-free zone so people can find answers easily, with only on-topic replies allowed. With no more questions being repeatedly asked, there would be no problem with snarky fuckheads upsetting new members.

The phpBB settings can be changed so that BBCode is activated on accounts by default. People's quotes and images will work as intended from the start, like every other forum on the internet.

With those two changes, it would be easier and friendlier for new members to join in, old timers would be relaxing with people who won't ask irritating questions, and the air of unpleasantness will drift away.

And now, commence snark.
Kiro

Postby AntiM » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Kiro wrote:An FAQ section seems an obvious and easy fix for most of the new member questions. It could/should be a snark-free zone so people can find answers easily, with only on-topic replies allowed. With no more questions being repeatedly asked, there would be no problem with snarky fuckheads upsetting new members.

The phpBB settings can be changed so that BBCode is activated on accounts by default. People's quotes and images will work as intended from the start, like every other forum on the internet.

With those two changes, it would be easier and friendlier for new members to join in, old timers would be relaxing with people who won't ask irritating questions, and the air of unpleasantness will drift away.

And now, commence snark.

The survival guide and the recommended reading are supposed to cover the FAQs.

The BBCode thing has been pointed out toTBTB. Changes are in the air, one supposes.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Kiro wrote:An FAQ section seems an obvious and easy fix for most of the new member questions. It could/should be a snark-free zone so people can find answers easily, with only on-topic replies allowed. With no more questions being repeatedly asked, there would be no problem with snarky fuckheads upsetting new members.

And now, commence snark.

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=4488]Um yeah. That will do wonders...

Or maybe not.[/url]
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:08 pm

In the time it takes for TPTB to change that BB Code setting:

1: The Cubs will finally win the World Series.
2: The Buffalo Bills will finally win a Super Bowl and not choke.
3: Congress will finally take steps to have a balanced budget.
4: America will have hydrogen fueled vehicles.
5: Isotopia and CowboyAngel will become best of friends.

Ok the last one is a stretch but having been around here for over 10 years now I know that glaciers refreeze and grow faster than the pace of change. Sad but true.

Moving on, Kiro's suggestion of a FAQ section is sorely needed and hopefully wouldn't take an act of TPTB to implement. It would also add value to the board and maybe raise it's profile with TPTB so that maybe they'll spend some $$ on upgrades or other needed things.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Kinetik V » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:10 pm

duplicate post. sheesh!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Sail Man » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:50 am

Fire_Moose wrote:YER ALL CYBER BULLIES!!

/runs off crying.

theCryptofishist wrote:Hormones.

No, not hormones. Somebody ran off with his fire staff and left in it's place a package of cue tips. He keeps burning his fingers, and as an added insult lit his prized Elmo on fire accidently :shock:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:56 am

*adds hash marks to "why I love Sailman" scorecard*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 am

It's terrible! I bet it was Da Ass
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 am

AntiM wrote:

And now, commence snark.

The BBCode thing has been pointed out toTBTB. Changes are in the air, one supposes.

I wonder if a Wiki might be more useful than trying to create something in this phpBB. It's hard to follow a long thread of posts with the inevitable thread drift.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby LoveLight » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:39 am

As a newbie, planning now for the 2011 Burn, i have asked two questions only out of concern.coming from another country and not knowing anyone who has been to BM I need answers..the epalya is an awesome reference and I read it often..nearly daily..If I cant find what Im looking for I'll ask..all who answered my questions where informative and polite...and it has made me comfortable to ask again if need be. xxx

BUt - if I ask you how much water do I need, please feel free to do more than snark...
Love & Light
LoveLight

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:39 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
AntiM wrote:

And now, commence snark.

I wonder if a Wiki might be more useful than trying to create something in this phpBB. It's hard to follow a long thread of posts with the inevitable thread drift.

Couldn't a Wiki get just a snarked up and drifted as a BBS Thread?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Artemis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:58 pm

jkisha wrote:Couldn't a Wiki get just a snarked up and drifted as a BBS Thread?

JK

But isn't that the beauty of a wiki? Folks could go in and edit away the snark and drift, no?

On another front, I saw something from cryptofishist about us scaring away Victoria. I originally read that as Virginia and was worried that maybe someone said something about Santa Claus. But who's Victoria and when did we scare her off?
Artemis

Postby lucky420 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:01 pm

are you perhaps thinking of Victorian?
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Artemis wrote:
jkisha wrote:Couldn't a Wiki get just a snarked up and drifted as a BBS Thread?

JK

But isn't that the beauty of a wiki? Folks could go in and edit away the snark and drift, no?

On another front, I saw something from cryptofishist about us scaring away Victoria. I originally read that as Virginia and was worried that maybe someone said something about Santa Claus. But who's Victoria and when did we scare her off?

And do I even care who Victoria is?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:12 pm

lucky420 wrote:are you perhaps thinking of Victorian?

If she was, we didn't scare her away. She couldn't swing it financially and had to sell her ticket. She stopped coming around here--too depressing, I think.

The actual impetus for this was someone saying that there was all this great stuff going on on tribe, but that we scared those innovators away. I forgot who said this, and where, so I didn't reference it. I was hoping it would come up again, but, well, it didn't get flushed out of hiding.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 pm

I bought her ticket.

Met her ex at AZDC and I gathered shes not d

oing well.

He didnt elaberate.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby bx1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:57 pm

LoveLight wrote:BUt - if I ask you how much water do I need, please feel free to do more than snark...

Why would you bring water to Burning Man? It will just weigh you down.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby tamarakay » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm a newbie, have been treated with nothing but kindness. I have read and read and read in the eplaya and have FINALLY figured out how to get almost good answers from the search. So far i have escaped snarkiness, but have spit a good bit of coffee on my screen at others expense.

There is so much to read, so much to digest, that I am glad we started early. Ken and I have started asking each other the "what did you do for burningman today" question and sometimes "read tons of crap on eplaya" is all i can manage. ALL of it beneficial, i've stolen some snark lines and used them on co-workers.

Snarkiness would not scare me off from here, but snarkiness has kept me from asking a few questions.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby JStep » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Speaking as a newb virgin, I think you all are collectively doing just fine. Keep it up, I wouldn't change a thing. And for good reasons.

I like snark, but I've been online since we dialed up to our local BBS and a 700 baud modem was considered a fast connection. It's funny, it's also functional: there are plenty of good, helpful posts, with helpful information, an encouraging word, polite respectful dialog... No one needs to worry about cracking some snappy sarcastic jokes.

I can make my own decisions about what to take seriously and what is just silly, or needless. If I couldn't, if I had a thin skin, took everything personally, expected everyone to be nice to me... would you want me at Burning Man? I hope not. So that's the sort of useful measure of the snark.

Another measure is that the forum itself is kind of a barometer of the culture at large as long as there is a broad representation of Burners on the forum. If this becomes a place where there's no useful information, filled with narcissistic assholes, burnier-than-thou preachers, high-holy mucky mucks... then scaring off decent folk is probably good for them anyway. If it turns out that I get to my first burn and find that the attitude is nothing like I find here, I will be disappointed. I want some snark, some weirdness, the occasional moron to laugh at and over all a majority of funny, creative, helpful people that make hanging out interesting.

Maybe I'll be disappointed, but I have a feeling I wont be.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:49 pm

tamarakay wrote:Snarkiness would not scare me off from here, but snarkiness has kept me from asking a few questions.

And now the question becomes, were those "good" questions. (I don't even know how we define a good question.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:46 pm

In honor of the threads subject matter, I'm a newbie birgin in here and to the Burning Man family. I've been treated with kindess, snarkiness empathy, and have been schooled properly about Burning Man and had maaaaannnnny of my questions answered by a gaggle of experienced and new burners alike. And I love you and thank you all!

I must add that sometimes it's the burners outside of Burning Man that have questionable behavior and intentions. And that's all I'll say about that.

My upcoming experiece at Burning Man next year hasn't been sullied. I am so looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can! I need a tour guide...anyone available? :D
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby ygmir » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:56 pm

maryanimal wrote:In honor of the threads subject matter, I'm a newbie birgin in here and to the Burning Man family. I've been treated with kindess, snarkiness empathy, and have been schooled properly about Burning Man and had maaaaannnnny of my questions answered by a gaggle of experienced and new burners alike. And I love you and thank you all!

I must add that sometimes it's the burners outside of Burning Man that have questionable behavior and intentions. And that's all I'll say about that.

My upcoming experiece at Burning Man next year hasn't been sullied. I am so looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can! I need a tour guide...anyone available? :D

see there.............*hearing the squeking hinges of Pandora's box opening and, we all love pandora, too*

how, oh how to answer this..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:58 pm

LOL ygmir...I would like to know that too!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby Elorrum » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:47 pm

ah, some who flamed out and then you wonder what happened.
guess it happens.
Did anyone meet Winebuff?
Elorrum

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Elorrum wrote:ah, some who flamed out and then you wonder what happened.
guess it happens.
Did anyone meet Winebuff?

yeah Elorrum. You hit the nail on the proverbial head. Whats a winebuff? A wine connasewer? :D
maryanimal

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Winebuff was one of last year's (2010) eager newbs. Yeah, I don't know what happened, but she hasn't been on the board for months. Maybe Doc knows, she had an invitation to talk wine at the Death Village.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:15 am

She was in Hushville, I met her. As far as I know, she had a great time. Ask Marty or Phil, she was next to them.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion