You are invited to Cat Show & Tell

You are invited to Cat Show & Tell

Postby jpx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 am

Cat people, as well as their allies, supporters, and friends -- you are cordially invited to Burning Man's premiere event for cat lovers: Cat Show & Tell.

This is the event's third year, making it Cat Show & Tell The Third. It is just like it sounds: we gather in a circle, and anyone who likes can have up to two minutes to share what makes their cat or cats so special. We go around the circle until everyone has had a chance. Then we touch noses, rub cheeks, and go our separate ways.

What is the feline equivalent of tooting one's own horn? Not to scratch my own scratching post, but I think this event is the perfect event for Burning Man. It is simple, social, and oriented around sharing. It requires no special gear or equipment. PLUS: it involves cats.

Cat Show & Tell The Third is being held this year at Camp Minitropolis, on Thursday at 1:00 PM. There will be door prizes. Also, be sure to listen for our radio ad on BMIR -- or view it on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYWXfRFQOI.

Well that is about it, cats. I hope I will see you at Cat Show & Tell The Third. Vive le roi!

jpx
jpx

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:06 am

Can we bring cats?
gyre

Postby jpx » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:06 am

gyre wrote:Can we bring cats?

It is my hope that the following story will become legend:

During year one, when Cat Show & Tell was being held a Comfort & Joy, there was an actual cat that came to visit us! He didn't say much. He lived with his humans in an RV that traveled year-round around the U.S. A special exemption was made for this cat to be able to come to the playa, since as you know, in general animals are not allowed. In fact, he was a six year burner and had a tag that said so, along with his camp address and contact information. So in comes this cat in a special evap-cooled carrier and his owner brings him out on a leash and says, "Would you please bring this cat some water from a white dish?" So I obliged, and indeed, this was the kind of cat that deserved water from exactly the kind of dish as was his preference. And he nosed around the shaded dome for a few minutes, then retreated back to his carrier, and then his humans took him away and he was gone.

I'll tell you what I would like --

If there are any artists reading this, and if you plan to come to Cat Show & Tell, please bring your drawing or painting supplies. If you can draw and listen at the same time, while people are starting to talk, I will have you fold some paper into a card and decorate the front, then pass it around for people to sign. Every year there are one or two people at Cat Show & Tell whose cats have just passed away. And it must be very hard to have to share about what made their cat so special, instead of a story about the cat that they can look forward to seeing again once Burning Man is done. Anyways, with a bit of quick drawing, we could have hand-made cards signed by all us burners, to give good wishes to those who have lost their most special friends.

Let's not end on such a sad note. This year's door prize is: a CD of cats purring loudly. I also have #3 in the Watch My Sexy Friends Sleep DVD series (#3 is "Kate") -- let's just say I have to make a copy of that before I leave.

See you soon, cats
for me and my true love will never meet again
jpx

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:33 am

For audio, may I suggest the triple fwoof-fwoof-fwoof tigers make in greeting?
Nightline recently did an 'in the wild' bit, with excellent audio, if you can pull it up.
A wonderful sound.

And of course, tiger or lion cubs chuffing.

I had a cat that seemed to have damaged his throat during an illness, and purred with a very rough, growly purr after that.
gyre

Postby buckycat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:07 am

jpx wrote:During year one, when Cat Show & Tell was being held a Comfort & Joy, there was an actual cat that came to visit us!

My wife was there and saw that cat! She was stoked about it. Sorry I missed Cat Show & Tell this year. I'm gonna try next year.
buckycat

Cat Show & Tell

Postby LunaMoon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:44 pm

OMG I totally missed out on this. I am a total cat lover, so much that I had my husband build an art car of a cat (Cat of a Different Color, AKA CDC) I would so love to attend a Cat Show & Tell next year (2011). I have pictures and stories of my kitties that I would love to share.

We did attend with our art car this year the Critical Cats, Cats, Cats march that ended at Camp Cats Cats Cats. It was a cool party with drinks served in pet bowls.

I wish I could have seen the kitty who has attended burning man for 6yrs. I always miss my kitties when I am at Burning Man. I usually have to bring a stuffed kitty toy to put on our bed at night in our tent just so I have a feeling of one of them is there sleeping on us.
LunaMoon

Postby Thecatman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:14 am

LunaMoon wrote:I have pictures and stories of my kitties that I would love to share.

Looking forward to seeing them.

LunaMoon wrote:It was a cool party with drinks served in pet bowls.

I heard about that Critical Cats march but totally forgot about it. Had I
attended, would I have had to bring my own cat bowl? Cause next year I'm gonna take one from home. Just in case. I don't think my cats will one bowl.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby moonrise » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:15 am

Cats and Moons! (there's another moon here!)

Wasn't there a deep playa Cat World art project at 2010?
(I couldn't find it, I was too busy chasing the Sun...the moon likes to follow the Sun...a never ending story)

Catnip, she lives next door....I'll have to have a cat chat with her, I'll fill her in.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Return to 2010 Art & Performance