A thought on hexayurts.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Which should I use to build my Hexayurts?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:46 pm

3/4" Plywood?
12%
1/2" Plywood?
12%
Rigid foam insulation?
76%

Total votes : 17

A thought on hexayurts.

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:46 pm

So, I've been planning on building a few hexayurts for me and some campmates and have found that I really like the "Stretch Hexayurt" design.

Here's the link: http://howtolivewiki.com/EN_WIKI/images/thumb/8/89/Stretch_hexayurt_cutting_plans.png/800px-Stretch_hexayurt_cutting_plans.png

I like it cause you can make it so that it folds up like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itb3VG6zcdc[/youtube]

Awesome, right?
But here's my idea, and I was hoping to get some feedback on what you people think.
I was thinking of building it out of plywood. I priced the rigid foam and for a slightly modified version of this, it would cost $89 for the foam. Then I priced the plywood (3/4") at $99.
I was thinking of cutting a hole in the roof for a plexiglass, hinged window, and a hole in a wall for an air conditioner for the main yurt. I was also thinking of ducting all the yurts together to have "central air" for all the others.

So what do you think? About the plywood. About the A/C.
The only time I'm planning on using A/C is when people are trying to sleep in in the morning. Not being able to sleep in after partying all night is a complaint that I've heard from campmates over and over. I'm ok with it.....but then again, I'm a professional drunkard.

And......go!
¡Niers!

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:51 pm

If you use plywood, what will you use for hinges?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm

I was thinking of using door hinges.
Also use some brackets to screw the joints/corners together.
¡Niers!

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Then my next question would be what are you planning on doing to stop dust infiltration at all of the jointed edges?

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 pm

I was thinking on duct tape.....or perhaps velcro and some kind of fabric that is dust blocking.
¡Niers!

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Nylon strap 2 to 3 inches wide siliconed and screwed would make a durable hinge and cover the gaps.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 pm

Next question--why are you even considering plywood?

(Oh, and Velcro is not a good choice if you think it will prevent dust infiltration. We used it our first year because we had the bright idea of having both clear plastic windows and air filters which we could Velcro on and off depending if we wanted air circulation or windows to see and retain the cool when the a/c was on. Bit mistake. Dust blows right through Velcro.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Plywood isn't insulated. At all. It's only benefit is cost, but it loses massively on all the reasons you'd build a hexayurt in the first place- temperature control & dust prevention.

Back in my ren-faire days I stayed in basically a plywood shack- it was an oven during the day and the local temps weren't quite as hot as the playa, and I had some shade.

The great thing about Thermax & the other foams is that they are insulation- they're designed to keep you cooler. No fighting with your materials to try to stay comfortable.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:24 pm

I like the nylon strap idea alot! I think I might just try that.

My reasons for plywood are that it's more rigid, I can use it over and over, it will certainly hold an A/C, and be easier to stake into the ground.
Plus, I can make a locking door for when we're out and about.
¡Niers!

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Niers......check your pm.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:43 pm

I'm also planning on painting the plywood white.
I honestly don't think it would get any hotter than the white dome I have. It has a used white billboard tarp as a cover and since the tarp isn't totally opaque it is like a hot box in there during the day. Not so bad once I added ventilation flaps. But since plywood will be totally light blocking, I don't think I'd have so much heat coming in.
I'm also not planning on being in there for anything other than sleeping.

As far as dust getting in.....I think the nylon strap idea will solve that issue.
Besides.....it's Burningman. Nothing's dust-proof. I'm ok with a little dust. If I wasn't, I don't think I would be going.
¡Niers!

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Well, Eric jumped in and beat me to the punch. The only benefit to plywood might be the ability to lock it up. Though, we have never found that necessary and lock all valuables in a foot locker or keep them in the truck.

Our first Yurt will be making it's 4th appearance on the playa next year, and never found any problems with durability or tying it down.

One of the main reasons we chose the hexayurt was because if its simplicity of design and its insulating properties. I have never seen anyone make any 'major' improvements to the original design.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 pm

White roof coating sticks better than paint and is cheaper.

Ive even used it on the styrofoam panels.

Your panels will last forever.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Well, I'm not stuck on the idea of using plywood.
I think so far....the biggest downside to using plywood is the weight.
I am thinking that it would weigh at least 300lbs. That's alot.
So....the verdict isn't out yet on plywood.
¡Niers!

Postby lucky420 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:45 pm

I like the rigid insulation because that is what it is...insulation. Plywood just seems to hot, like how a shed feels hot in the summer. Of course if you're going to use an ac it will help that factor out. Plywood would have been to heavy for me and my daughter to put up by ourselves...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm

What's the difference in price, you big bunny you?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:16 pm

The 3/4" plywood would cost $99 for one yurt, $89 for the Rigid foam insulation.
¡Niers!

Postby moonrise » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Eric wrote:Plywood isn't insulated. At all. It's only benefit is cost, but it loses massively on all the reasons you'd build a hexayurt in the first place- temperature control & dust prevention.

Back in my ren-faire days I stayed in basically a plywood shack- it was an oven during the day and the local temps weren't quite as hot as the playa, and I had some shade.

The great thing about Thermax & the other foams is that they are insulation- they're designed to keep you cooler. No fighting with your materials to try to stay comfortable.

Eric nailed it...why fight a proven design that flows so well?

Cost savings is small in comparison, plywood is heavy and the rigid insulataion is forgiving....isn't the rigid insulation also fire proof or fire resistant?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby maryanimal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:50 pm

I want a yurt of my own!!! They look like great structures.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Why not just buy two of these http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3M-N-pevHKY/S ... cCubby.jpg. and duct tape them together?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby BAS » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 am

I thought hexa-yurts were originally made out of cardboard? :?

Anyway, after reading the replies, I'll put my vote in for rigid insulation-- it sounds like the best compromise for weight, insulation, and rigidity. (Plus, as has been said, it is a proven design.)

FWIW, what I would really like would be a converted school bus. (Which has the major drawback of: Where do you keep it between trips? Which is where a hexa-yurt would really shine!)
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:56 am

BAS wrote:I thought hexa-yurts were originally made out of cardboard? :?

"Hexacomb" cardboard, which has little honeycomb shapes inside and is about an inch thick, not traditional cardboard with the little ridges.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BAS » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:22 am

Ah, that explains a lot. I have seen that kind of cardboard (actually had to haul some down to the recycling dumpster at work.)

Thanks. I had wondered what kept them collapsing if any wind came up.
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 am

All materials have insulating qualities. It just happens that plywood has about 20% the R-value of rigid foam, per unit thickness.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby JStep » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:15 pm

~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:42 pm

And, about how many years, can these yurts be reused? Especially the foam board ones?

TomServo

Postby Casanova » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:53 pm

@ iNiers ... I know you wrote a rude and retarted post on one of my threads, but I'm not like u..

I build a hexayurt last year not realizing any chance of rain I put a tarp underneath of it so after the rain there was a big puddle and alot of our stuff was soaked so watch out for that and also the wind almost blew the hexayurt down so try to focus on straping down more than you think you will need. Other than that it worked very nice.. It was cool inside and no wind inside, good luck 8)
Casanova

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:57 pm

TomServo wrote:And, about how many years, can these yurts be reused? Especially the foam board ones?

Don't think anyone actually knows the answer to that question. I never even heard of a HexaYurt until it was on display at the Green Man. We built and brought one the following year--that same yurt will be making it's 4th trip to the playa this coming year and I don't see any reason it won't last for many more years after that. I'll keep you posted.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Casanova wrote:@ iNiers ... I know you wrote a rude and retarted post on one of my threads, but I'm not like u..

I build a hexayurt last year not realizing any chance of rain I put a tarp underneath of it so after the rain there was a big puddle and alot of our stuff was soaked so watch out for that and also the wind almost blew the hexayurt down so try to focus on straping down more than you think you will need. Other than that it worked very nice.. It was cool inside and no wind inside, good luck 8)

Your main problem is that you didn't tape properly and didn't tie down properly. The tarp needs to be taped both inside and out--we use the same 6" wide bi-directional filament tape for that as we do for assembly. Additionally, you need to take time to make sure you smooth all of the tape joints, otherwise there are little trails or pockets of air that just allow the water to flow into the yurt.

Regarding anchoring, the instructions for building the tape anchors and tying down the yurt work perfectly if you follow the instructions as outlined by Vinay.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby TomServo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:01 pm

IMHO, they look like a pile of trash. And I wonder how many of them become one, right after the event?

TomServo

Next

Return to Shelter & Camping