Need new playa shoes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Need new playa shoes

Postby RebA! » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:45 pm

I totally need some new footware for the playa. Its the one thing thats always been missing from my outfits.

Does anyone have any good shoe recommendation thats functional, fashionable and uh.. comfy for my aging (31year old)feetsies?

I wore my merrill mocs a lot, but I kinda felt silly. But they were comfy.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Re: Need new playa shoes

Postby olivia » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:30 pm

RebA! wrote:I totally need some new footware for the playa. Its the one thing thats always been missing from my outfits.

Does anyone have any good shoe recommendation thats functional, fashionable and uh.. comfy for my aging (31year old)feetsies?

I wore my merrill mocs a lot, but I kinda felt silly. But they were comfy.

the shoes i have found most comfy and stylish at burning man have been birkenstock clogs (i spraypainted mine silver) - they're very long wearing with care. this year i wore a big clompy pair of new rocks which were extremely comfortable after i wore them in for a few days off-playa.

http://www.birkenstock.com/
http://www.birkenstockcentral.com/
http://www.vixensandangels.com/ (new rocks)
http://www.gothshop.com/ (sale on new rocks)
olivia

Postby dig » Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:53 pm

Leopard print Chuck Taylor high tops owned my feet this year. Wore them all week - no playa-foot this year and very comfy Image

ð dig
dig

Postby RebA! » Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:59 am

I did the chuck taylor thing before. I love those things(as I have like 6-7 pairs). But the squeak you get when trying to lace them up after a few days on the playa, just irritates the piss outta me.

My quest for a funky comfy shoe continues
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby dig » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:55 am

RebA! wrote:... But the squeak you get when trying to lace them up after a few days on the playa, just irritates the piss outta me.

haha - so true.

ð dig
dig

Postby evie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:57 pm

I would suggest a pair of tevas for the day they can be decorated in any sort of fashion. Glue is my best friend. ( with apoxy 547) you can attach just about anything to anything and all sorts of patterns too. For night wear a comfy pair of tennis shoes. I like puma s but you can make heighten comfort quality with a nice pair of inserts. I would recommend investing through a chiropractor.
evie

Postby Tiara » Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:40 pm

I wore my Merrell mocs a lot too. Can't beat them for comfort. And I love slip-on shoes because it's so quick and easy to take them off for "no shoes inside please" camps.

I'll have to find a photo for those of you who didn't see them, but I had a lot of fun covering up my mocs with child's swim flippers shaped like dinosaur feet.

They worked great as a gimmick to remind people about avoiding playa-foot during my Greeter and Ranger shifts too!
Tiara

Postby tbone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:02 pm

I wear ankle high, leather, steel toes boots - at home and on the playa. Steel toes only because it's hard to find good work boots without them.

I like Dickies, as they are reasonably priced ($60) and durable.
Not terribly sexy, but they protect from rebar, scorpions & snakes (I spend a lot of time in the Mojave) and general abuse. I wear them at least 12 hours a day at home, and at one point, had them on for almost 48 hours at the burn.

I couldn't imagine wearing Teva or Birks out there. On the other hand, if I hurt my feet, I can't work - and I'm self employed.
tbone

Postby MusicVixen » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:07 pm

tbone wrote:I wear ankle high, leather, steel toes boots - at home and on the playa. Steel toes only because it's hard to find good work boots without them.

I wore Birks the first day and knew my ankle high, leather steel toes would be the shoes I would wear for the rest of the burn. No playa foot here. :)
MusicVixen
MusicVixen

Postby olivia » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:27 pm

the clogs are more enclosed than regular birkenstocks - the kind i had were super birkis. i wore them with socks and never got playa foot :)
olivia

Postby MusicVixen » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:32 pm

olivia wrote:the clogs are more enclosed than regular birkenstocks - the kind i had were super birkis. i wore them with socks and never got playa foot :)

I'll give them a try next year...thanks!!
MusicVixen
MusicVixen

Postby tbone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:01 pm

I've been on the playa for about two months in total.

I'm still not sure what "playa foot" is. Care to clue me in?

My feet are the same when I come home (and no, they aren't that bad). My hands get hammered out there, but I've recently started using corn huskers lotion, and I think it's a good thing for out there.
tbone

Postby precipitate » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:35 pm

> I'm still not sure what "playa foot" is. Care to clue me in?

Tingling, burning, cracking, bleeding feet. Happens when the dust
gets in between dead skin and live skin (calluses, etc.) and
basically causes an alkaline burn. Happened to me my second
year. Keeping your feet mostly protected from the dust pretty much
eliminates the possibility. This year, I wore my sandals a couple of days
all day long. Wiping the dust off my feet at night prevented playa foot. I
think my feet are in much better shape this year than they were two years
ago, when I had to do vinegar baths followed by Vaseline every night to
get rid of the awful tingle.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Shiny blue soles!

Postby Guppie » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:04 pm

I am very happy with my Soul Fusion footwear. they have a channel through the transparent sole that allows you to put a glow stick or Led pendant in there and they glow throughout.

http://www.ghastup.com/soulfusion.html

the bonus being, they are very comfortable.

live love laugh

Guppie
Guppie

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:31 am

my vote is SWEAR boots & shoes.

similar to New Rock. just as expensive new.

but i lurked on ebay all year & found two pairs for $50-$80 each.
they are big, cushy, weird & made for dancing - huge platforms.

my two pairs had someone in them every night.

also try the main swear website to see styles & colors & sales (there are 100's) :

http://www.swear-alternative.com/
PetsUntilEaten

Postby nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:16 am

my favorite playa shoes are my green wellies - paired with fishnets and my chain-mail bikini, they look truly dsiturbing. plus they're comfy and functional.

the princess
nymphgonebad

Postby RebA! » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:09 am

PetsUntilEaten wrote:my vote is SWEAR boots & shoes.

similar to New Rock. just as expensive new.

but i lurked on ebay all year & found two pairs for $50-$80 each.
they are big, cushy, weird & made for dancing - huge platforms.

my two pairs had someone in them every night.

also try the main swear website to see styles & colors & sales (there are 100's) :

http://www.swear-alternative.com/

Those are awesome! I gotta find some of those!
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

PLaya Feet & CHeap shoes that work.

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:32 pm

Whatever You do dont wear ECCO Sandals, I love mine, but they were leather and the playa stuck to the dust and sweat and made rocks, So I ended up barefoot. If I could have afforded it I would have gotten a proffessional pedicure first, but did one on my own and it worked pretty well in combination with keeping my feet clean with lemons and aloe while I was out there. There is a misconception thet professional pedicures remove all the valuable calouses that allow you to go barefoot, but it is just the opposite, it is like having your teeth proffessionaly cleaned, without the dead skin, the healthy live skin is a lot less suseptable to cracking. (yes, I do work for a spa, that is my disclaimer) Some sweet man offered me his shoes when He saw I was Barefoot! I couldnt keep them on so I gave them back! My feet were acually ok, but I grew up in amish country and go barefoot a lot and wouldnt reccomend it for everyone, but I really had a hard time keeping shoes on during the day. I had a pair of clunky combat boot style shoes by a company called SODA for night and they woked out really well, $10 at Ross.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Re: PLaya Feet & CHeap shoes that work.

Postby nymphgonebad » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:58 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote: (yes, I do work for a spa, that is my disclaimer)

and what do you do at said spa?

i'm a massage therapist who is proficient in spa treatments as well as other forms of bodywork.
nymphgonebad

Postby olivia » Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:15 pm

PetsUntilEaten wrote:http://www.swear-alternative.com/

oh sweet lord, i still pine for the day i can afford a pair of these:

i would probably break my neck in them tho.
olivia

Postby Badger » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:55 pm

them look like church goin shoes if ever i seem some.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:34 pm

Actually I do graphic design for the spa!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

love my grinch slippers

Postby Trash » Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:02 am

I wear them enough over the years I had real soles put on them long ago. Was a drag trying to find a cobbler willing to put soles on them but was well worth it.

-Trash
Trash

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:23 am

olivia -

i'm telling you - i had a bookmark for searching ebay for "swear" that i clicked daily. i've actually seen a pair of those about my size.

i have some orange "jetty"s and the lt. & dark grey "exterminator" boots - Mine are one size bigger (which isn't so bad in euro-sizes) - but I put pads in the bottom & it turns out that without pads they fit two of my campmates - which was cool.

If you don't know your euro-size (37-42) then best to find out rather than ask the seller - since I've always gotten a range of answers from them. I wear a 39 and I'm a 8.5 or 9 US. I have 40's.

they are ridiculously well made & people collect them - so sometimes 10 pairs will pop up in one week - sometimes nothing.

- pets
PetsUntilEaten

Soul Fusion...

Postby Guppie » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:17 am

okay, apparently that link above was random at best. Try this one

http://www.soulfusionshoes.com

much love

Guppie
Guppie

Postby ceejmo » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:40 am

I usually alternate between my omnipresent calf-high doc martin's and a pair of lunch-lady-white brunswick bowling shoes. The smooth bottoms work well for de-platforming when it rains or i step in something icky and they are way comfy.
ceejmo

Postby Juju » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:51 pm

Aside from my normal daytime tevas and nighttime nikes con socks, I sported some glowy shoes to. My mom bought me a pair of crappy green flip-flops at Wal Mart which I wore a few nights on the playa. The straps light up when you step, and actually recharge so they're moderately glow-in-the-dark. Twas fun keeping them on with my socks. I eschew most light-up glowy things (yes, I'm a prime target for bikers on the playa), but these were fun and made it easy for friends to keep track of me. $5.
"doin' it for the midgets"
Juju

Need New Playa Shoes

Postby Bambi of Finland » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:13 pm

Reba , Try funkefeet.com , they have a great variety of footwear. Don't order the furry boots, they are mine!!!
Direct from a forest near you , BAMBI
Lost in the Forest
Bambi of Finland

Postby DogBoy » Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:24 pm

NATO standard issue Desert Combat Boots. Playa blends right in, they don't overheat, & can be found without much difficulty or cost.
"All you need in this world is ignorance & confidence, and then success is sure." -Mark Twain

"Wickedness is a myth created by good people to account for the curious attractiveness of others." -Oscar Wilde
DogBoy

Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Put On those Playa shoes.........

Postby FairyGirlUtah » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:56 pm

Hey There,
I am a nine year Burner and the best playa wear I have found is a pair of Doc Marten boots that I got in San Francisco at Villains. No laces, slip on, has a knife pocket(you can put other stuff while walking). The boots are purple, now with years of playa dust caked on them. I love them! Plus, you can also wear a nice thick pair of sox and keep you feet from cracking! I even wore them in the fashion shows and Critical Tits rides over the years!
Good Luck!
FairyGirlUtah

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear