Burning Man 2010 Vinyl Stickers

Postby JStep » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Badfishhh0116 wrote:Awesome! Screen printing is another thing i've always been interested in and considered getting into, just never have. Had a class back in high school where we made our own design and then screens and then made a shirt. i loved it. I used to frequent Shirt.woot (are you familiar?) and do the t-shirt contest once in awhile also. Maybe next year you and i could trade skills for our art? wouldn't mind having some t-shirts of my next design to gift, or even just have it screened onto some paper+mounted as AnitM mentioned as a souvenir for myself. :)

Never heard of shirt.woot ... might have to look into that.

I can give you the skills I've already attained: Just search DIY screen printing on google and instructables.com Here's a starting point http://www.instructables.com/id/D.I.Y.-Screen-Printing/ and they have other lessons on the same subject with different techniques. I'm going to be using the Mod Podge as shown here, there are other ways to do it as well.

You don't have to use embroidery hoops as they do, 2nd hand picture frames and panty hose make a decent screen for small batches. I bought a professional silk screen just because I want my screen to last.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:53 pm

Dang I totally forgot to thank you. I got your stickers in the mail. They are awesom. My friend liked them so much too, that I gave one to her. I also dug your little note, why does this keep falling off my shirt!?!?!

Thanks again!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Badfishhh0116 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:57 am

AntiM wrote:D'oh, I am so not awake this morning. RG does woodblock prints and we've been using our silkscreen for fabric. Next step is paper art prints, a combination of the two.

haha, glad i could help? i just assumed you meant RG was screen printing on scraps of nice paper or something and then framing them.... Sounded cool to me! lol. Guess my misread was a nice little happy accident. I wouldn't mind a design simply screened on a piece of scrap paper and framed is even better. Also, i was totally unaware of "woodblocking", but i checked it out and that's pretty awesome stuff!
Badfishhh0116

Postby Badfishhh0116 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:17 am

Heh, didn't realize the thread went to another page. didnt see ya guys and my "after-the-fact multi-quote skills" are lacking....So...Doublepost!

JStep wrote:Never heard of shirt.woot ... might have to look into that.

I can give you the skills I've already attained....

Definitely swing by shirt.woot.com when you get a chance. Theres a t-shirt design contest every week. The winner gets their design sold as the shirt of the week and they get a percentage of the profits from it. It's pretty cool. I believe Threadless is a similar thing where you submit a design and if it wins you get $500 or something like that.

I appreciate the tips on DIY screen printing. i'll take a look. I actually know a guy that does screen printing, small scale, nothing major or commercial. The thought never really crossed my mind to have him make me shirt for the burn, though in hind-sight, i don't know how i overlooked that. Probably would've been costly though. I'll have to look into the home-made mod podge method. lol.

Snow wrote:Dang I totally forgot to thank you. I got your stickers in the mail. They are awesom. My friend liked them so much too, that I gave one to her. I also dug your little note, why does this keep falling off my shirt!?!?!

Thanks again!

No problem. You're welcome. I'm glad you and your friend enjoyed them. If you do apply them to something, upload a pic, i'd love to see it! I still haven't seen any pics of them applied. I think people must be holding onto them as souvenirs and not applying them to something, lol. [/quote]
Badfishhh0116

Postby Snow » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:36 am

haha I've been having a conundrum about where to put my stickers that I like. Nothing seems permanent enough haha. I think I decided my welder was a good place.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Badfishhh0116 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Snow wrote:haha I've been having a conundrum about where to put my stickers that I like. Nothing seems permanent enough haha. I think I decided my welder was a good place.

lmao, i figured that's this issue for most people. Which i can understand.
It just didn't cross my mind when i was making them and gifting them out. I was hoping next year if i can make it, i'd see them stuck on people cars, RVs, etc. and have the satisfaction of knowing "i made that!", and someone loved it enough to put it on their car. To me, it's different because i can just fire up the cutter and make another if i want to. If i had received a single sticker out on the playa, i'd likely cherish it always and never stick it to anything either, lol. For me , in a way,since i didn't receive any gifts on the playa, i was thinking of it along the lines of being the start of a great scrapbook to have forever and to remember my first burn. I was hoping people that received them would send some pics and i'd stick them all in an album and have a great little souvenir. But ah well, what can ya do? I totally understand if people 'd rather hold onto them than apply them. Though,i bet it would look great on that welder! hah :)
Badfishhh0116

Previous

Return to 2010 Art & Performance