EZ Shelter; carport, rebar, ratchet web straps, silicone :)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:35 am

Veterans taught me this method for EZ Shelter;

Bend 2 foot long, 1/2 thick rebar into a candy cane but NOT a rounded top candy cane shape...more like a V shape (round is too hard to pound into the playa) Bend 6" over, this leaves you an 18" length of stake.
You will need 8, I brought 12 just in case.
These pre-cut lengths are cheap and sold at Home Despot.
Buy 'em. bend 'em, bring 'em.

Set up your carport (hopefully it's not a windy day, it wasn't the day mine was set up, generally it's a two person task)

I pounded the rebar stakes in at an angle against the tug of the RATCHETING nylon web straps INSIDE my carport, lined up with the inside edge of the carport canvas and in the spots where it would create an X of ratcheting nylon straps every other section inside the carport. I also pounded the rebar in V and all! and left just enough to get a ratchet nylon strap hook through the top of the V of the rebar.

The 10x20 foot Carport has 8 sections total...two ends and six side sections (three sections per lengthy sides of carport)...I used four V rebar stakes and four ratchet nylon web straps per side... none on the end sections and none in the middle side sections.
Sorry, no picture, basically do four X sections...two on each side and do not do the middle of the sides or either of the ends (I'm not a technical manual writer, sorry)

I attached RATCHETING nylon straps in the X pattern and cranked them down...not too tight and watch the rebar doesn't pull up and don't bend the metal carport frame.
This X inside the car port method takes up less walking area...outside or inside of the carport. Schweet! Space is good, no tripping lol, and the sharp rebar end is frickin' buried! No stuffed animals, plastic bottles or tennis balls needed to protect the feet from injury due to sharp rebar ends, because both ends are now buried.

The X strapping method leaves the ends of the carport useful, you can open or close them as needed...and the same goes for the middle side entrance, that is the section with the kewl adjustable doorway and/or flap, free and clear for entering and exiting and can be left open or closed..I left mine open often.
The opposite side middle section had no X of straps either but there was no entrance/exit...so what, no biggie...there may have been a window, I don't recall...(but I think it does)

A 2 to 4 man tent (4 man tent means 2 man tent, trust me! & you can stand upright in the carport but not in the average 4 man tent) fit perfectly into one end, also a decent size 4 foot camp table & a few folding chairs in the middle, rubber made containers of gear, my water and food in the opposite end...still lots of room to mull around.
Some carports had two tents and a third tent for rubbermades and gear water etc outside of the carport...they accomodated two sleeping tents in other words and a third tent for storage outside of the carport..table n chairs in the middle...still room to mull around.
The carport has many variations of windows and entrances, a very good design for ventilation and blocking sunlight...These carports Kinda look like a G.I. Joe house but maybe some graffiti will fix that....or not...play army if that floats your boat!
Our village/camp had, two potties, a $40 shower tent, minimal kitchen and some main shade...this I could've done myself also but a village/camp worked out great.

(btw, the cost-co carpot was only $189.00 + tax and has been useful since BM, you can keep it or give it away after the event)

Vetrans EZ method to REMOVE rebar;

We wrapped the rathcet nylon web straps once (or twice, up to you) around the top/loophole of the exposed tip of the V in the rebar stake, then two people are needed, each person grabs one end of the strap and simply pull upwards at the same time and the frickin' rebars came out with ease! Check for MOOP and stomp each playa hole back down like a good little burner, hahaha...please do NOT allow MOOP in the first place but you never know and no one wants to stomp MOOP into some rebar hole, of course not.

This method worked great, the carport stood strong in the Tuesday nasty wind storm, it provided a mini shelter for surprise guests who needed to get out of the storm and we were fat and happy and sat and chatted while the enitre time the storm roared outside. All of the surrounding RV's and other structures were gone..we were completely on our own, no other wind breaks that had been there all week remained.
Oh, some dust blew in under the bottom of the carport during the week and on Tuesday, it was minor...laughable in fact. All week a bedsheet thrown over anything seemed to help manage dust if I felt like doing that. (I spaced that one out a bunch, haha, who cares it didn't bug me much)
Also I always zipped the tent (this was habit and it did make a difference, I spaced that once, so I know) I covered the ground inside the car port with several area rugs (tarps also work well, I saw other carports with tarped floors)

One last thing, I brought a can of aresol SILICONE SPRAY for the zippers, all zippers!, tents, carport, clothes... you name it...man did that help and the stuff is cheap at the big box stores. I still have plenty for lubing household mini blinds, vertical blinds, door locks etc. another Schweet BM left over!

I hope I explained this in PLAIN english...PM me if you need further explanation...I'll be glad to answer anything I may have missed.

PS I also like the big box truck or cargo trailer EZ shelter but haven't tried it, yet...please see Junglesmacks and Lovelights threads for that method.
If there's something I may have missed or anyone can improve this thread in anyway, please have at it. Also, I am sure Rmax Hexi Yurts insulate better for hot & cold temperatures and block noise much better and probably other structures do better also.
The carport worked out well for my shelter in 2010, I can handle heat or cold to some degree, especially with proper sleeping bags.

I hope this helps, see you next year! moonrise :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:19 am

yep. we use the X-strap configuraton, but we use specially made spliced ropes. Same thing.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:08 am

I use the same shelter setup, its worked great gor the last 4 or 5 years. The x straps are very improtant as I learned this year. It was before the burn and I was busy working on our art project. Since I was the first one in my theme camp, I was sure I was going to have to move my shelter as usually happens. So I decided to wait till my shelter found its more permanent location to add the x-braces.

It was fine for a week until come sat pre-event. A dust storm and a extra strong gust flattened it to the ground. The rebar stakes held the feet fine but the posts bent over at the roof line and it got flat. I was able to re-erect and x-brace it with some help from my come along and hi-lift jack. It stood fine for the rest of the time even when it was the last thing standing and I got stuck until wed cuz the winds on tues afternoon/night were relentless. I think part of the failure was do to it being all alone on the esplande with no other wind breaks around. I would recommend adding x braces to the ends, that is the direction mine failed.

the fire conclve also uses many carpots in a similar manner. I did notce that my fabric cover is begining to deteriorate, the shelter does see uses at other festivals too.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby TomServo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:31 am

Ok...so were not talking about EZ-Ups.. Quick and easy, but have a playa life of about 3 dust storms. If you're hauling Carports....and ill be hauling two...then weight shouldn't be too much of an issue...ok, weights always an issue. But, for larger camps, you might consider T-posts. Take a good look at the street sign posts. Note, that the post is splinted to a t post. I use the same method, with the legs of my canopy. No guy lines or straps are needed. They may be heavy, but these posts won't budge...and neither will your canopy.
Driving them and removing them is the pain in the ass part. I use a post pounder,and its still a pain....maybe I should ask for help. I'm gonna try spiking the ends of the posts this year, to see if it makes the job any easier. Pulling them is easy, using a pulling tool:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/M1195/M ... ost-Puller

And, either a Hi-Lift jack or an old VW bug jack.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:35 am

I hate pounding in tposts. Done way too much of that in my past and for some reason always end up doing it on the projects. The damn oned DPW gives the art must be rejects cuz they are all bent as hell. You can use a hi-lift without the puller attachment, but those do make it go easier.
Snow

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:38 am

We tilt our carports over, so the splint post method won't work. Both are valid methods, depending on preference.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby TomServo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:46 am

Snow wrote: You can use a hi-lift without the puller attachment, but those do make it go easier.

We snapped a 4x4 in half trying to pull one. Yes, they suck pounding in. That's why I'm gonna try sharpening the end. All the good t posts from DPW are "noodled". That orange tubing around the top of the post...don't ask how we did it! OSHA may be lurking. I don't mind the hour or so of misery, driving those bastards, compared to a week of tripping over guylines.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:09 am

AntiM wrote:yep. we use the X-strap configuraton, but we use specially made spliced ropes. Same thing.

Yea, the X configuration worked great...maybe sometime you can explain the ropes or post a pic of the ropes (I know you're usually very busy AntiM, and there's plenty of time.....to panic later! haha..jus' kiddin')
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I forgot to mention;

If/when I can afford a big box truck rental or preferably for me; to buy a cargo trailer and sleep in that (I can slowly convert a cargo trailer I OWN MYSELF into a decent RV later, this can be done so the cargo trailer is useful for hauling after BM! sorta like a homemade toy hauler) There are veterans here who have explained this to me, perhaps one will post a thread for that down the dusty road...all in due time.
(btw, veterans have also pointed out to me that used towable, beater RV trailers are cheap, but I need a cargo hauler for BM and default life, I will go for a 14x7 footer, this is a popular size for most)

The carport can be used for a main shade living room. Not a large one but 10x20 is a fairly good foot print. All of the windows can be opened or entire side panels and end cap panels can be removed and put back up if the sun gets too bothersome.
I saw this done at small unregistered theme/bar/residential camps...some had a couple/few more carports set in a row, some not, do whatever works best for your situation

Be sure you don't set this carport up with leg spread, get it set nice and squared up, err inward just a little bit, guestimate that if you need to.
I used the small pegs included for staking the legs down but just for temporary placement & extra hold.
Due to leg spread, (lol) I had to re-set some legs because the zippers would not work well without damage to them, the canvas panels were just a tiny bit too far apart, some zippers would not work at all and silicone spray wasn't fixing that! Grrrr!
(*silicone spray was great for all zippers for sure though)

I plan to take care of this carport, I hear they can last for years.
I am very happy & impressed with my carport; it does look G.I Joe cool!
It can also be painted, and/or flags can be saftey pinned to the sides and such, if you want to change it's look.

Once set with temporary small, included stakes;

Do your Rebar! do NOT skip rebar (or playa staples if you prefer those)..Tuesday was the LAST day, and it wind stormed! :shock: we took it down by dark and into the dark with all sorts of lights, whew!
Thanks helpers-campmates and the strangers seeking shelter in a dust storm! :wink:

Remember work gloves! I started the breakdown without them and it sucked, very quickly, as in super fast drying after only partial teardown, latex gloves with vaseline helped soothe & heal my hands, even wihtout vaseline latex gloves will help heal, this I was told by the veteran who offered them up, thanks again! (*it took a week or so for them to feel normal again, I continued vaseline for 10 days lightly after BM, not a biggie but annoying and it could've been avoided easily but I spaced the work gloves for just over one hour, doh!)

Again, rebar or playa staples are a must! All week, no significant wind storms, then wham...Tuesday we got hit...we're talkin' day 9! (see above post, lol)
This carport worked like a champ, a great addition to our loose village/camp.

If you are on a budget, and can ONLY afford a tent, I think one or two inexpensive tarps may make you more comfortable. These seemed to keep some dust out of the tent area and general space (and the face) I think smaller versions of rebar V stakes could be used to stake a ground tarp or two down. The ground tarps sure seemed to prevent those that had them from getting all stuffed up, they are low cost at Harbor Freight and probably other stores too, they do not need to be the expensive ones and they come in ALL sizes. I would be careful not to create a dish effect under the tent in case it rains.

I hope this added advice helps! Please feel free to PM me if you have a question....and any added advice on this thread is of course a welcome addition...we're all in it together and the happier and healthier we ALL are the more fun the whole community will have!

moonrise :D
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:07 pm

We use two carports with an EZ Up wedged between the. The EZ Up is covered with doubled camo netting and we don't stake the feet. The carports hold it in place, and the wind simply blows through. Very dusty, but hell, who cares? We keep everything put away as much as possible.

The carports are not upright. We leave one set of long legs and have a set of short one foot legs on the outside. we call it "clamshell". Still high enough to walk under. The clamshells face each other, with about ten feet between, which is where the EZ up sits. We use the X ropes on the long legs, the back legs have ropes running from the roof to the ground, straight down the back, out of the way.

We don't use the end walls which came with the carports, they ripped long ago. We made custom pieces with either snow camo or billboard vinyl. We block one side of the shade are, leaving a small doorway. the other side serves as the main entrance. The tents are under the carports, as well as one end for the kitchen There's enough room for storage next to the tents. The shade area is our living room. We even have a coffee table.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:11 pm

I have a couch and coffee table in mine as well, even shelves
Snow

Sorry to post outta turn but...

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:55 pm

After reading the first of the carport crowd's experiences I should say that it seems we can collecivley improve on our use of the carport....or I should say I can and more readers sure can.

@Snow sorry to hear yours got flat! Sheesh! fun day eh?
@Tomservo, I'm all about NOT tripping on guy lines (course they're needed on big stuff and art and such I imagine) but my livin' space...please no "trip lines" The guy line method is also a space hogger imho and limited experience.

Here's my biggest oversight so far;

For now I realized if anyone decides to use this for a main living room type of shade it probably needs the X configuration in amost every section except for ONE for entry/exit...otherwise it could become a major "sail", a huge tattered mess and so on...so hmph, were the camps that used this for main shade ever present and diligent about putting the side panels up and or down when wind storms were predictable? Does wind sail through it if only a roof section is attached? Fat chance, I'm guessing there are updraft wind storms, I just wasn't thinking about those out there in BRC :)

Also, nightime windstorms could trash it unless it's a 24/7 camp and that isn't a sure bet, we do sleep eventually. (*some less than others)

Overall, I like my carport, and everyone who visited was amazed and would comment on how BIG the interior was...the carports sure are roomy, can't deny that. I mean, we're talkin' the size of a barn, haha, seriously...nice n roomy.

I know it'll eventually give out, but for now mine is new & super fresh....maybe we can start a parts junk yard, it's the big roof canvas section that I fear will go the soonest.

But hey, at $189.00+ tax....it sure seems like a good deal for many burners...3 or 4 burns, I'm happy with that lifespan and I'm very happy I bought it.

Ironically (did I just say ironic? lol) a beater small towable RV can be as cheap as $500.00! One of those lasts forever.....except I want a decent cargo trailer and those run $5000.00+ if new and are hard to find used...things are just too darned useful to find used. I was told a 14x7 cargo trailer will hold it's value for a long long time...seems to be true from what I have found so far....I'm giving up for now and sticking with the carport until I can find a used cargo (I saw one, nice aluminum for about 3,800 obo recently but can't swing it right now)

The veterans who taught me this particular method sure were glad I showed up with a nice new carport...thing is did I have it easy? 2010 was a mild weather year...
Back to carports and such....feel free to carry on.......I'm all ears and eyes
moonrise

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:23 pm

it wasn't really a big deal to get mine back up, maybe lost an hour of work on the art project. I only had my trouble cuz I was lazy and tried to save redoing some work. I also usually have an EZ up as a porch and it has worked great but it had a run in with a Uhaul this spring.

NEVER throw away old carport parts, there are many who need them and I know people who will take your old one.

I keep mine zipped up tight most of the time as I only rest there and am either busy working or playing. It does make a great refuge from the duststorms though, albiet far from dustproof. Overall it is a good way to go for a shelter, only thing I would prefer would be a RV or trailer. But I've got the carport down to a science now.

I have used the cargo trailer working at other festivals (use it to transport equipment), I like the feeling of a tent much better than the hollow garage feeling but thats just me. I'm sure with some sprucing up it'd be just fine.

To reiterate, make sure to use rebar stakes and x-bracing (there aren't really any guy's to trip over. And also a need trick to save space is to insert the short poles into the verticle poles for transport.
Snow

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:31 pm

AntiM wrote:We use two carports with an EZ Up wedged between the. The EZ Up is covered with doubled camo netting and we don't stake the feet. The carports hold it in place, and the wind simply blows through. Very dusty, but hell, who cares? We keep everything put away as much as possible.

The carports are not upright. We leave one set of long legs and have a set of short one foot legs on the outside. we call it "clamshell". Still high enough to walk under. The clamshells face each other, with about ten feet between, which is where the EZ up sits. We use the X ropes on the long legs, the back legs have ropes running from the roof to the ground, straight down the back, out of the way.

We don't use the end walls which came with the carports, they ripped long ago. We made custom pieces with either snow camo or billboard vinyl. We block one side of the shade are, leaving a small doorway. the other side serves as the main entrance. The tents are under the carports, as well as one end for the kitchen There's enough room for storage next to the tents. The shade area is our living room. We even have a coffee table.

That's bad ass! Yeah, a living room is the ticket...sounds like a live work loft on playa to me! *w/storage

snow wrote;
I have a couch and coffee table in mine as well, even shelves

One big truck you must be drivin' or several trips...bless those that live close and can haul so much on out to the playa and bless those that travel so far with packed trucks etc or very well thought out long distance plans executed by the overseas burners...heck, bless everyone...even the ones fallin' outta the sky! Gotta love the sky divers and those colorful shows they put on!
moonrise

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:34 pm

no just a small pickup and a trailer, all loaded to the hilt. The stripper pole and giant sit n spin by far take up the most room HAHAHA. Anyone want a stripper pole, I'm so over stripper poles on the playa
Snow

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Its the utility trailer idea that I used this year and it worked great.

I called it the playa pod.

With the cooler, it was 30 degrees cooler inside and I had to use a blanket when napping.

The shade was 12x40. No guylines.

Took maybe 10min. to turn it back into a utility trailer.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Okay, this thread is way above my head. But triangles are more stable than squares, which is why the X works. I think circles may be stable, too, but we are reaching the end of my technical knowledge...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Snow » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:20 pm

which is exactly why we play tick tack toe with X's and O's and denote hugs and kissess with XOXO. These traditions date back to the time when Pythagoras plagerized the egyptions and published his "big idea" with pendant publishing. The Greeks put Chinese reverse engineering to shame.
Snow

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 am

For a few years I used a Costco canopy to great results. I would use very large V steel stake anchors (18" I believe) I would also stake the legs down.

That got given to a friend, so I've moved to the stuff sold by these guys:

http://www.shelsys.com/

You basically pick a config, they send you a nice red bin with all the joints, ball bungies, cover and instructions. You buy your own EMT which you cut with a $5 hacksaw. Took me about 30 min. to cut all my lengths. EMT was about $7 for 10 feet from Home Despot...give or take.

My canopy ended up a little cheaper than the costco, but now is incredibly flexible/extensible.

Notes: It's better to have high shade cloth material instead of the solid of the costco canopy.

Shelter systems sells a nifty thing. It's a set of stakes: http://www.shelsys.com/catalog/accessories.html

Basically they are rebar with a big washer welded on a few inches from one end. You pound them straight in, up until the washer is out of the playa. You then put the leg of the canopy over the stake itself. Then you use the washer to hook a strap or tie down to and run it up to the "shoulder" of the canopy above. They sell those elastic tie downs which are basically thick bungie cords that stretch about 7 feet.

I had ratchet straps in case, but this system worked like a charm! During wind storms the whole thing just sorta "shivers". The screen allows much of the wind to go through, while the bungies have some "give".

By going this method, you can add a couple parts and convert to other shapes and sizes.

Even if people had a Costco, I'd recommend SS stakes....it makes the legs very, very stable.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Postby moonrise » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:27 pm

Yea, well LoR you kicked my ass! In a good way though...haha...as I suggested this thread can be improved much and bumped in the spring when everyone needs it the most.

What is EMT? :? (duh?)

Also, I'll stake the legs (grrrrrr..MORE work! ok, ok Ill do it!) but I tell ya...it sure was nice to be in that barn of a carport during the Tuesday storm....nice n roomy and yes, there were some moments when I was ready to pound the rebars in (just in case) with the sledge hammer...phew... (I had to explain to the storm refugees I was stroking the sledge hammer for safety reasons ya know, just kidding!... but I did keep my eyeballs trained on it's whereabouts)

snow says DON'T Throw away carport parts. There really is a junk yard for them! Who knew? Plus the smaller legs slip into the larger for storing and hauling.

I'm waiting for Motz to show up and explain how Stag Camp did such a good set up (could be same as yours LoR)...Stag Camp's shade reminded me of my Sicilian relatives back East....'cept they'd grow grapes and huge squashes over the massive structures...very cool...lots of outdoor furniture and dinners and some rustic red wines. Don't me get started on the Tomatoes and that whole argument "who grew the best, the most etc"...it could get ugly!

What about aluminet? Too costly or has it come down in price?

Is the SS companies shade cloth just as good I wonder...we had some attached to my truck and stretched from here to there for a quick shade for some tenters who truly needed this, in a big, big way...poor dears were roasting to death! Brave, but gimme a break...aluminet was instant salvation. :D

Also I like the idea of adding a shade porch somehow, to my carport...hmmm..maybe this SS stuff or who knows........so many options :? !
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:09 pm

moonrise wrote:What is EMT? :? (duh?)

Emergency Medical Technition
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:You basically pick a config, they send you a nice red bin with all the joints, ball bungies, cover and instructions. You buy your own EMT which you cut with a $5 hacksaw. Took me about 30 min. to cut all my lengths. EMT was about $7 for 10 feet from Home Despot...give or take.
LoR

Yea Fishy, we'll need an Emergency Medical Technician after that!
I couldn't resist...(I'm just kiddin' around as I'm sure you can guess)...I'll get an answer soon enough.

I couldn't find the answer on either of those webpages....I figure LoR will be back, EMT as in shade structures is_____________________________?
moonrise

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:39 pm

emt=electical conduit
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Ok....

EMT is electrical conduit. It's sold in 10 foot lengths in various diameters at home improvement stores. Mine I think are 1 3/4" I think.

Even if someone had the Costco canopy, I'd recommend buying some of SS rebar stakes. Your legs will go over them, so there's no trip hazard, and that little washer invention makes for one secure canopy! One of those "smack you head/why didn't I think of that?" things once you see it in use.

Yes, in most cases I think Aluminet is superior to shade cloth. But, it isn't always a good fit. First, it's more expensive, especially when you compare like for like: 10 X 10 or 10 X 20 with taped edges & grommets. Second, playa dusted aluminet is...well...a real friggin' mess to deal with. It's pretty bulky, and not as easy to clean when home. Our whole shelter kit (save the EMT pipes, of course) breaks down and fits into one fliptop bin. I sprung for the length joiners. This allows me to use two shorter EMT lengths (5 footers in my case) to create one long 10' section. Breaks down much easier for transport!

Shade cloth comes in two main varieties...one is knit/stretchy and the other is more woven plastic. Both types come in various shade abilities...the highest being 90% shade cloth. Your friends sound like they were under some lighter shade cloth...maybe 50-60% shade. Otherwise, their tent or whatever was making them hotter.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Return to Shelter & Camping