giant vat of non-newtonian fluid

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:05 pm

I'm holding out for non-einsteinian fluid. Or maybe non-leibnetzian.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm holding out for non-einsteinian fluid. Or maybe non-leibnetzian.
We used the first stuff when making that missle. I couldn't get the other stuff to work since everything was parallel.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:34 pm

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Da Mule wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm holding out for non-einsteinian fluid. Or maybe non-leibnetzian.
We used the first stuff when making that missle. I couldn't get the other stuff to work since everything was parallel.
(Oh damn. That mule knows a lot of higher mathematics. I wonder if he can tell I'm faking it...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Was that him doing math?

I thought he was tap dancing.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:10 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Was that him doing math?

I thought he was tap dancing.
and here I though he was , get ready for this.... Talking out his ass...... Get it, he's an, oh nevermind.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:20 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:How about making it only knee deep? The goal is to make it across? Right? Sinking in knee deep would be a definite indication of failure on the runner and would not possibly drown a small person.
There you go. thats a perfect idea
Were all here cuz were not all there.

BM 2010 Metropolis
BM 2011 Rites Of Passage

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 pm

dagfooyo wrote:Great analysis, thanks everybody! I like the idea of the baggies, that sounds like a good solution - would require a lot of 'em though, two per person, plus rubber bands or something to hold 'em on people's feet. I wonder if we dunked the baggies in sanitizing liquid in between uses if that would satisfy the health department. 'Cuz otherwise that's a TON of baggies.
just buy a shit ton of magnum condoms.
Were all here cuz were not all there.

BM 2010 Metropolis
BM 2011 Rites Of Passage

Johnny Payphone

Post by Johnny Payphone » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:03 pm

We did this by tossing a tarp into a rented U-haul trailer and buying a pallet of corn starch.

-when transporting, it sloshed all over the place, unless we slammed on the brakes, in which case it acted like a solid load

- we held dance-offs to see who could stay on the surface the longest

- little kids would fall on their face and almost die

-the more limbs you get stuck, and the more you struggle, the harder it is to get out. Once you're down on all fours you're doomed.

-it was a huge mess and basically requires water for cleanup.
"Do something amazing once and you'll hear about it for the rest of your life. Do something amazing every single day and you're just another over-achieving brainiac."

The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: giant vat of non-newtonian fluid

Post by The Hustler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 pm

dagfooyo wrote:You know that cool stuff you get when you mix corn starch and water? The stuff that acts like a solid when you move it fast and a liquid when you move it slowly?

We want to set up a GIANT VAT of it on the playa next year, and get people to run across it as a "rite of passage" thing. We'll do it up like a parody of those corporate retreats where they walk on coals, with tiki torches, mock inspirational speakers etc.

Visitors will get a chance to try and dash across the gloop without falling in - and we'll have a hose ready to slosh off anybody who does drop into the goo, accidentally or on purpose :-)

So far it's just myself and my roomate who've come up with the idea. We camp with Black Rock Roller Disco so this vat'll be right on the esplanade. We need volunteers to help plan it out, build the components, set it up, and of course help with the cost and transport of large quantities of corn starch and water :-)

You know you've always wanted to run across a big vat of non-newtonian fluid. Help make it happen at burning man!

Bonus idea, if we get a ton of support for this: Line the bottom of the vat with giant subwoofers - then blast super bass up into it and turn it into the world's largest dancing fluid sculpture! (search "corn starch speaker" on youtube to see what I'm talking about)
That's the oddest and coolest thing I heard all day.

The subwoofer thing reminds me of a Mythbusters episode where they made a giant Mercedes diesel-powered subwoofer inside the car to try to blow the windows out. I think it cranked out 180 decibels at around 15 hz, or something crazy enough to loosen the worst internal log jam.

Large amounts of water in the high desert? You'll need a tanker and a really big evaporation pond.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:08 am

If you ever been on the playa in the wet season you would know that the playa is a big vat of gooey flow.

dewnorth

Glug, glug, gluggggggg.................

Post by dewnorth » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm NOT saying it's true! But I read somewhere that Black Rock Desert is on a fault line that could liquify the playa's surface if there was an earthquake on the fault. So maybe one day we could all have the same experience as walking on your vat of corn starch. (It would be even more troublesome than trying to buy tickets online this year.) One perk: instant moop control.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Glug, glug, gluggggggg.................

Post by Bob » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:08 pm

dewnorth wrote:I'm NOT saying it's true! But I read somewhere that Black Rock Desert is on a fault line that could liquify the playa's surface if there was an earthquake on the fault...
The term is "liquefaction", and it typically occurs in loose water-saturated sand deposits, not clay or silt.

Could happen, though. Nobody's done exploratory transects of the playa to see what's actually there at depth.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

phoon

Post by phoon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:04 pm

I never knew this happened. Corn starch and water? That's even cooler than carbonating watermelon with dry ice. I'd run across that any day just to see how it works.

Elderberry
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:08 pm

Bob wrote:
dewnorth wrote:I'm NOT saying it's true! But I read somewhere that Black Rock Desert is on a fault line that could liquify the playa's surface if there was an earthquake on the fault...
The term is "liquefaction", and it typically occurs in loose water-saturated sand deposits, not clay or silt.

Could happen, though. Nobody's done exploratory transects of the playa to see what's actually there at depth.
My neighborhood is built on a liquefaction zone.

JK
Elderberry

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 pm

considering, Nevada, and the great basin in general is very thin crust, with numerous faults, seems easy to consider there is one, or could be, under or near the playa.
the fault does not have to be directly under it, to shake hard enough to cause liquefaction.
and, I'd bet, since the water table is so high there anyway, in a strong shake it would do just that.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:39 pm

jkisha wrote:
Bob wrote:

JK
JK:
do you have emergency knowledge, in case it happens?
I understand, if you lay flat, you will float.

and, as long as your not face down, and don't get excited, you won't get stuck........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Elderberry
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 pm

ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote:
Bob wrote: The term is "liquefaction", and it typically occurs in loose water-saturated sand deposits, not clay or silt.

JK
Sounds like the same thing I heard you were supposed to do if you get into quick sand.

JK

JK:

and, as long as your not face down, and don't get excited, you won't get stuck........
Elderberry

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:11 am

jkisha wrote:
ygmir wrote:
jkisha wrote: My neighborhood is built on a liquefaction zone.

JK
Sounds like the same thing I heard you were supposed to do if you get into quick sand.

JK

JK:

yeah, the same. Except, getting "excited" (read sexually), and being face down, will not get you stuck in quicksand...........
dang, I just seem so obtuse, at times
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 am

In Gerlach the ground shakes like Jell-O when the train goes by.

Maybe all you need is a train.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:43 am

yeah, and, I've even noted ground movement, if something really heavy goes by camp, on the playa.
like those huge forklifts, carrying something, when DPW is driving them fast.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Bob wrote:In Gerlach the ground shakes like Jell-O when the train goes by.

Maybe all you need is a train.
No wonder it looks all new and shiny every time I visit. It constantly has to be rebuilt.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Servo_Cerveau

Post by Servo_Cerveau » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:52 pm

This sounds like a great idea!

one potential issue to consider is securing the vat when there's no-one from your camp around to supervise. without someone to spot them, someone could quite easily get stuck even in a waist-deep vat of magic mud.

I'd suggest some kind of removable top that you would lock down with padlocks. That way you could make sure there was someone watching whenever someone was running over the vat, to pull out sinkers and oversee MOOP containment.

Return to “2011 Art & Performance”