WTF

All things outside of Burning Man.

WTF

Postby maryanimal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Ok, I was thinking about when my last WTF moment was and it was yesterday. Now I have issues with stupid drivers, especially here. No one know how to merge onto the freeway. So I'm behind two people entering the freeway at 45 mph... so I turn my left blinker on to change to the next land and as I start to speed up but...WTF...I get cut off by the person in front of me still going 45. I cursed under my breath at that damn student driver car! LOL j/k But I know we've all had those WTF moments! When was yours? Was if from a burn, or in the default world!

So, unleash, unload, tell that story, share that story without hesitation! Get it off your chest! I promise you won't be sorry! Plus you'll give everyone a good laugh! And who doesn't need a good laugh every now and then?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:10 pm

My most major WTF moment happens nearly every election where a significant potion of the population votes for people who will never have their best interests in mind.

A small WTF moment was realizing maryanimal changed her avatar. In my mind maryanimal is the Victorian(sp?) of 2011. Whatever you do maryanimal----Don't quit your job. Or at least wait untill right before the burn. Victorian quit her job and I was sad to see her not make the burn with the way she positively affected this board.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby maryanimal » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Awwww...thanks motsky! Sounds like this Victorian was a special person. I can't quit my job as I care for my mom! And regarding the elections...I so agree with you. Even the "better of two evils" is a scarey thought! WTF!! lol

And I changed my avatar because it really reveals the real me, the kinder, gentler person.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:42 pm

I thought you avatar was saucy. There is value in proper perception and visual conveyance to promote a more accurate portrayal of ones self has value.

Oh and WTF! Ethanol makes us burn more fuel(old news I know). Wouldn't the best conservation practice be to eliminate Ethanol from Gasoline so that we would burn less fuel? I'd rather burn my $100 at the burn than in my tank and out the tail pipe.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Sham » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:21 am

My biggest WTF moment happend last night (Saturday night).
I went to a large regional mall not far from my house, that I had not been to in probably a year. There was an addition to it that nearly doubled its size and it was FULLY decked out for Christmas. The mall was packed, and most everyone was dressed in their fancy logo clothes and were in full Christmas shopping mode. WTF is going on with our society? Our we as a group that easily led by the nose to spend our hard earned money on useless, disposable shit, just because the mall hung up Christmas decorations?
This is going to be a very bumpy holiday season for me. I know the economy needs the sales, but I don't like seeing people being so sheepish when buying all that crap just because they feel they have to.

WTF!
Sham

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 am

Shambala wrote:My biggest WTF moment happend last night (Saturday night).
I went to a large regional mall not far from my house, that I had not been to in probably a year. There was an addition to it that nearly doubled its size and it was FULLY decked out for Christmas. The mall was packed, and most everyone was dressed in their fancy logo clothes and were in full Christmas shopping mode. WTF is going on with our society? Our we as a group that easily led by the nose to spend our hard earned money on useless, disposable shit, just because the mall hung up Christmas decorations?
This is going to be a very bumpy holiday season for me. I know the economy needs the sales, but I don't like seeing people being so sheepish when buying all that crap just because they feel they have to.

WTF!

Yes.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby jkisha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:22 am

Hey, if you got it, flaunt it! :(

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 am

As Victorian had to bow out and sell her ticket, we don't want Maryanimal to follow those footsteps too closely.
OTOH, we can hope that Victorian is able to attend this year and will soon return to the board.

Oh, all that was an "aside" not thread drift.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:18 am

blah i screwed up the quote thing.

Anyhoo, Burningman has become my xmas....and my kids (burners) agree whole heartedly!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:45 pm

WTF!

I decided years ago to boycott all mandatory gift giving. I don't give obligatory presents and I don't want them. No Christmas/ Hanukkah, no birthday, no housewarming anniversary wedding divorce.... if it's a day where society expects you to give a present, I won't play along and won't even tell most people my actual birthday so they don't feel obligated to get me something. I've been doing this for close to 15 years now, my friends & family understand (except my parents- they insist they like giving me birthday & Hanukkah gifts. I gave up)

I've worked too long in retail and seen too much "Aunt Agnes likes candles, um.... lets buy her that candle holder...." decision making on gifts. No thought, just a feeling of obligation.

What I will do, and love to do, is to give random presents because I find something that reminds me of someone or that I know a particular person will love, and I love receiving things for the same reason. Because they're truly given as a gift, not because they're supposed to be.

/rant
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby jkisha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Eric wrote:

WTF!

I decided years ago to boycott all mandatory gift giving. I don't give obligatory presents and I don't want them. No Christmas/ Hanukkah, no birthday, no housewarming anniversary wedding divorce.... if it's a day where society expects you to give a present, I won't play along and won't even tell most people my actual birthday so they don't feel obligated to get me something. I've been doing this for close to 15 years now, my friends & family understand (except my parents- they insist they like giving me birthday & Hanukkah gifts. I gave up)

I've worked too long in retail and seen too much "Aunt Agnes likes candles, um.... lets buy her that candle holder...." decision making on gifts. No thought, just a feeling of obligation.

What I will do, and love to do, is to give random presents because I find something that reminds me of someone or that I know a particular person will love, and I love receiving things for the same reason. Because they're truly given as a gift, not because they're supposed to be.

/rant

Hmmm....I actually like those traditions and think they are important, I just don't like how they have become commercialized; which sounds like your biggest gripe too.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby gaminwench » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I jumped on the same train as Eric many years ago... it was a bit hard on the kids, at first, but then they grew to understand the difference between gifting from the heart & gifting 'cuz ya gotta'...
I much prefer the lovely "Oh, I saw this and it made me think of you" random gifts to the obligatory "I shopped 'til I dropped & this is what you ended up with"...
Holidays are about food, family and friends around here, not how much you spent...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:38 pm

gaminwench wrote:but then they grew to understand the difference between gifting from the heart & gifting 'cuz ya gotta'..

Them's the words I was looking for!

Jkisha- I love spending time with friends & family on those days, just not the obligatory gift giving thing.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby jkisha » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Eric wrote:
gaminwench wrote:but then they grew to understand the difference between gifting from the heart & gifting 'cuz ya gotta'..

Them's the words I was looking for!

Jkisha- I love spending time with friends & family on those days, just not the obligatory gift giving thing.

For whatever reason, I never found it obligatory. I actually enjoy doing it. But hell, I would never go to someone's house for dinner and not bring a gift for the host(es), but that's just me I guess.

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby Risky » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Family and I decided long ago to save our monies not swapping useless gifts, and using it instead to plan a visit together.
I would rather have the memories and time together.

My mom is notorious for sending a box full of misc useless stuff.
I told her she gets one shelf in my house, and if she sends more stuff
than the shelf will hold, then I get to purge what I want.
She doesn't send me stuff like that much anymore.

I hate collecting crap because I hate to clean it, quite frankly.
Risky

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:30 pm

crypto, I have no intention of not coming to burning man. That has been my focus for the past 7 months.

However there has been a major thread drift. I only buy christmas things for immediate family only. This year I can't do it since I lost my job and I'm in poverty/starvation mode at this time. I have a new job(s) but it's going to take a while to catch back up. Christmas isn't about gift to others anyway. I hope my family doesn't mind homemade goodies for christmas.
maryanimal

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:42 pm

((((((MA))))))

When it rains it pours, hm Mary? Love and hugs..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:54 pm

(((JS))) Nice to see you!! love and hugs back atcha! yes when it rains it does pour!
maryanimal

Postby moonrise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:00 pm

WTF, my new tenants seem nice, until thier screw up made them late for dinner at some fancy restaurant and the husband (wife is nice) looks at his watch and starts telling ME wtf to do while we're doing lease signing crap....yarite pal...I never wanted to buy both sides of this friggin' duplex, sheesh, now I recall why...I'll politely be very unavailable to the fullest extent of the law during thier non-renewable lease term.
One good thing, I can finally use caller ID! :|

Maybe he'll learn some manners and who is boss, me and his wife!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby drucake » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:03 pm

WTF? I just watched Kate Plus Eight. Its sick and stupid. Sorry, i just had to share.
drucake

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:10 pm

drucake wrote:WTF? I just watched Kate Plus Eight. Its sick and stupid. Sorry, i just had to share.

I refuse to watch some bitch exploiting her children for the sake of money and to gain any kind of fame or pity for herself or her situation. I feel for those children. They'll never have a normal life. Another WTF!
maryanimal

Postby Sham » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:27 pm

drucake wrote:WTF? I just watched Kate Plus Eight. Its sick and stupid. Sorry, i just had to share.

I had a very real WTF a few weeks back when I was contacted by a reality show from a major network. I never heard of this show since I don't watch this garbage. After doing a search on line, I found it is a real show and my art car is what attracted them to me as well as the bizarre antics revolving around it.
The money was really good, but my dignity is worth more than that. I told them no several times but they keep calling. Tomorrow is the deadline, and I expect to be telling them NO one more time.
WTF!
Sham

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:29 pm

So what show was it??
:?
maryanimal

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:30 pm

take the money....use the platform to broadcast your shambalaness.

use the tool that is media and build something.

not to mention, they have cookies.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Sham » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 pm

maryanimal wrote:So what show was it??
:?

I'll PM you.
Sham

Postby Trishntek » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Driving from Ventura to Fullerton and back in one day, twice weekly provides an overwhelming number of WTF moments. It is 100 miles each direction and all city driving conditions. There is no mystery to me why people shoot each other down there.

"It's no secret there are an abundance of idiots on the road and he looks like one of them!" said I while being interviewed for jury duty for a DUI case.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby moonrise » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Trishntek wrote:Driving from Ventura to Fullerton and back in one day, twice weekly provides an overwhelming number of WTF moments. It is 100 miles each direction and all city driving conditions. There is no mystery to me why people shoot each other down there.

"It's no secret there are an abundance of idiots on the road and he looks like one of them!" said I while being interviewed for jury duty for a DUI case.

Smart going, you get out of Jury Duty (he might get off the hook)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:32 pm

I lived in Costa Mesa for years and had a lengthy drive through L.A. Now I have somewhat of a lead foot but people were driving 85 with about 7-8 feet between each other. What an E-ticket ride! (old disneyland reference) I was WTF'ing all the way! Like driving a Nascar race.
maryanimal

Postby Eric » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 pm

maryanimal wrote:However there has been a major thread drift.

:lol:

You'll discover that much like the real playa, a lot of things go off-track here. Thread drift is common to almost every forum I've been on, and for the most part the ones here are interesting at least!

As for your handmade gifts- they will most likely be treasured. I know the ones I give are- I had one friend tell me he'd rather get a gift from me every five years than some of the stuff he gets from other people for every holiday. Something made specifically for someone can make their day.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Eric wrote:
maryanimal wrote:However there has been a major thread drift.

:lol:

You'll discover that much like the real playa, a lot of things go off-track here. Thread drift is common to almost every forum I've been on, and for the most part the ones here are interesting at least!

As for your handmade gifts- they will most likely be treasured. I know the ones I give are- I had one friend tell me he'd rather get a gift from me every five years than some of the stuff he gets from other people for every holiday. Something made specifically for someone can make their day.

Actually I like the thread drifting. it usually always begings a new and iteresting thread! Or a comical/sarcastic thread!

And as for homemade gifts. I'm now in charge of the family Italian christmas cookies and cannoli that has been passed down for generations and I proudly do it! My mom and grandma would bake for weeks making all the delicious cookies and things for christmas! I know the family looks forward to their package in the mail! And I make a mean pumpkin bread!

Thank you Eric! :wink:
maryanimal

Next

Return to Open Discussion