The story behind your screen name?

All things outside of Burning Man.

The story behind your screen name?

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:13 pm

I was thinking about this today while driving home from surfing. I mean.. how does one come up with a screen name these days?

Personally, mine is about 11 years old now from when I was mainly living in Costa Rica and used to go on a forum there about the local electronic music scene. I had a vision.. you know.. like.. a nice breakfast cereal from the jungle. Jungle Smacks! Junglesmacks..

More smacks please, maw!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Thecatman » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:20 pm

Primairly because I prefer cats. I have seven.
Plus one dog, and a tarantula that I found in our backyard about two months ago.
At work I'm often refered to as the crazy cat man, because I, along with a few others, feed a colony of feral cats at work. From that colony is where I took our most recent addition, Little Gizmo, when he was about one month old.
The others that feed them only have one or two cats or none at all but feel sorry for the colony.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby weirdscience » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:36 pm

well normally im not good with making up screen names ... its not a gift of mine ... so i was thinking i could either do the normal i do which was mark-hoppus .. but ive over used it over the years cus i used to love blink 182 and again i suck at screen names and when i was younger all i could remember and type out easily was mark hoppus... then i though NAH too over used. then i thought hmmm well i could use my old screen names from Steam, which are/were Commiebear ,Ganjabear, Soviet killer, then i thought nah 2 drug oriented and 2 communist for the bm forums, so then i thought hey i can use my tinychat name / one of my favorite movie titles weirdscience :D
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .
weirdscience

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:53 pm

it's my name.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:55 pm

Anti M = Auntie Em = Aunt Margaret. Spelling courtesy of my nephew.

Maggiemayday has a better pedigree, being my Hayduke alias, but everyone shortened it to Maggie, which is Wrong. Originally was Maggiemayhem.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby busgypsy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:02 pm

I lived in a bus for about 5 years and travelled around. I didn't really consider myself a 'hippie' but more a modern day gypsy with hippie tendancies that had a job and showered...at least every Wednesday... that is still the shower day right?
If you dug a hole through the center of the earth,and jumped in, would you stay at the center because of gravity?
busgypsy

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:28 pm

MDMF... Been using that for 18 years now.

circa 1992 Fighting fires in Southern California after driving from Puget Sound non stop. I am completely lost and actually have a map in front of me in the center lane in Compton California...Rodney king riots were only 3 months earlier.

So here I am in a 300 thousand dollar off road fire truck with four guys as white as snow in the cab and lost.

A car - 1980ish Cadillac Convertible with hydraulics pull up on the drivers side. It does its dance and I am looking down in the car with 5 thugs in it. They turn down the radio and I am stuck. Lights red, and there is a car in front of me. I look back at the car and all 5 of these guys are staring at me when the driver says "What you think you are - some sort of Mac Daddy Mother Fucker?"

I said " No, I think im lost - you know where the 105 is?"

He pauses, looks down, looks back up at me makes the car hop a couple fo times, and says "five lights straight ahead" then lays rubber as he makes a left turn.

Thats where MDMF comes from.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby geospyder » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 pm

One of my hobbies used to be racing. I drove a MR2 Spyder heavily modified for the track. My handle on the racing boards was SilverSpyder. A couple years ago my wife begged me to quit racing. She was deathly afraid that the odds would catch up and I would crash. When I got into Geocaching I dropped the Silver from SilverSpyder and added Geo to the front - thus Geospyder.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby cutmeoffandcallmeshorty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:15 pm

True story, I swear.
Back in 1987 I was working in Australlia in a cabinet shop as a bastard Carpenter. One day, 14th of July actually, I was working on an old bench planer running some boards through and the blade caught the front of my Levi's as I was reaching for the next board and almost severed my Penis three inches from the head.
Luckily, I was saved from massive blood loss and death by a Vietnam era Paramedic Parajumper that was working in the same shop and was airlifted by the Royal Flying Doctor Service to Adelaide (South Australia)
Upon arrival in Adelaide I was "reattatched" minus the mutilated 3" and eventually regained all sesitivity and functions within 6 months and went out for test drive in Late December 87 at one of the liscenced brothels in the red light district, Wow, What a great Christmass gift !
I arrived home in Melbourne for Christmass with my Girlfriends family and besides being the butt of thier jokes and the wonderment of modern medicine I arrived at the time where "Sue" had the oppertunity to see this miricle of modern medicine. Upon dropping my strides and a little fluffing she said , Fuck Me ! cut me of and call me shorty. you still got nine inches and stop your crying.
That was the last Christmass that I spent with Sue. I banged her Mother and her brothers Girlfriend on New Years eve the following week just to prove a piont and as payback for their insensitivity. I left for America shortly thereafter and have been here ever since.

Sooooo, Thats where I got my Eplaya screenname,
Tru FUCKING story.

Regards Shorty.
"Tis better to be well disliked,
Than not liked at all."
Ned Kelly, 1884, Australian Outlaw.
cutmeoffandcallmeshorty

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:50 am

Hey, points for creativity!

MDMF's is great too.. All of these are. I knew there had to be stories behind them. Keep 'em coming..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:40 am

I don't have a lot (as compared to some) but whenever i start to feel sorry for myself i just remember how lucky i am that my kids and my family are all relatively healthy and happy, and that we have an such a great relationship. To me family is everything and i wouldn't trade it for the world. As for the 420 part of my name, well it used to be whenever i would join a board or discussion group "lucky" was usually always taken so i modified it. I am pretty outspoken in my support of decriminilization of mj so it fits... (plus I like it)
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:27 pm

I like to talk during movies.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Artemis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:51 pm

It's my playa name.

Artemis was typically thought to be a virgin. My virgin year the name was given to me.

Now, like the virgin vampire who awakes each day a virgin once again, I keep returning to Burning Man as Artemis, the virgin goddess.
Artemis

Postby teardropper » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Mine was easy. I have a teardrop travel trailer that I camp in extensively. Hence, teardropper.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm

i am actually a lemur....
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:07 pm

TomServo wrote:I like to talk during movies.

you can call me art
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Da Mule » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 am

Ygmir gave it to me.
Da Mule

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:03 am

I was a regular ol'e moose when i came across the wwwyzardd. He enchanted my antlers and gave me an immunity to fire.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtRowIUrhs&feature=related[/youtube]
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 am

Da Mule wrote:Ygmir gave it to me.

He gave me mine too, prolly for the exact same reason.

That boy sure does look good with mayonnaise on his forehead, doesn't he?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Ygmir seems to give "it" to a lot of people.
"Mayonnaise", ha. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby weirdscience » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:I was a regular ol'e moose when i came across the wwwyzardd. He enchanted my antlers and gave me an immunity to fire.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtRowIUrhs&feature=related[/youtube]

pretty sweet dance moves moose
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .
weirdscience

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

It's my name. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Uh... well, I'm blue... furry... somewhat canine in appearance... and did I mention big? :wink:
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby RingO'Fire » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I signed up for eplaya in 2004, when I started getting ready to go to Burning Man for my first (and so far only) time. I thought, "Hmmm... What I do want to use as a screen name? Hmmm..." Then "Ring of Fire!" was the first thing that popped into my head.

I thought, "Perfect! They burn shit at Burning Man, right? So, I've got the fire/burning thing in my screen name. Plus, there's the classic Johnny Cash tune that just about everyone in the world knows. And, Zappa uses 'Ring of Fire' as a euphemism for an ate-too-much-spicy-food burning asshole." So, "RingO'Fire" had three meanings for me and I just decided to kind of go with it.

At the NC and GA regional burns, I go by "Wildman." It's what my buddies have called me since Jr. High.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby Trishntek » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Back in the Compuserve days, Trish and I met online. She in Canada and me in Utah at the time. There was a chat room where we literally spent hours chatting every night for over two years. Her moniker was Trish and mine was ntek.

Trish is her sister's middle name. At the time, I worked graveyard shift in the Emergency Room. So I was the night technologist = ntek
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:21 pm

I've had the nickname maryanimal for about 29 years. It was during the "mind expanding" days of my youth. My then husband, myself and a good friend were smoking a few of those "funny cigarettes" and we were all laughing out asses off over....well what we thought an idea of great proportions (I can't remember). Then all of a sudden my friend Ken just called me maryanimal...can't figure out why...more laughing ensued plus the munchies. He still calls me that to this day. I've been teased about it for years. Most people, especially men, think of it in a...umm...er...uh...comment about my sexual prowess. Far from the truth though. I've had other nickname but we won't go into that!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby jkisha » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 pm

maryanimal wrote:I've had the nickname maryanimal for about 29 years. It was during the "mind expanding" days of my youth. My then husband, myself and a good friend were smoking a few of those "funny cigarettes" and we were all laughing out asses off over....well what we thought an idea of great proportions (I can't remember). Then all of a sudden my friend Ken just called me maryanimal...can't figure out why...more laughing ensued plus the munchies. He still calls me that to this day. I've been teased about it for years. Most people, especially men, think of it in a...umm...er...uh...comment about my sexual prowess. Far from the truth though. I've had other nickname but we won't go into that!

Funny story, sort of reminds me of how I got my playa name.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:58 pm

jkisha wrote:
maryanimal wrote:I've had the nickname maryanimal for about 29 years. It was during the "mind expanding" days of my youth. My then husband, myself and a good friend were smoking a few of those "funny cigarettes" and we were all laughing out asses off over....well what we thought an idea of great proportions (I can't remember). Then all of a sudden my friend Ken just called me maryanimal...can't figure out why...more laughing ensued plus the munchies. He still calls me that to this day. I've been teased about it for years. Most people, especially men, think of it in a...umm...er...uh...comment about my sexual prowess. Far from the truth though. I've had other nickname but we won't go into that!

Funny story, sort of reminds me of how I got my playa name.

JK

So what is your playa name and how did you get it? Inquiering minds want to know!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby brushfire on the playa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:29 am

Someone called me brushfire on the playa because my hair was dyed colors or pink, orange and yellow so I guess it was reminiscent of fire. When I was thinking of my screen name I thought it would be appropriate and kind of playa related. And I thought it was a funny image - a brushfire on the playa...? A little amusing maybe? :roll:
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
brushfire on the playa

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

simple is best.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:14 am

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Next

Return to Open Discussion