A Burner Lexicon

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Thanks, I meant to include that, sputnik!
Kit O'Connell ~ kitoconnell.com
Writer, Critic, Freak ~ kitoconnell@pobox.com
kitoconnell

Postby weirdscience » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:30 pm

sputnik wrote:BMIR - Burning Man Information Radio (I'm listening to it right now)

I've always heard flaming soccer called Redneck Soccer

where you listening to it?
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .
weirdscience

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:06 pm

There have been too many mainstream news articles talking about "Larry Harvey's trademark stetson" for there not to be some sort of push back from the animals in the cages.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:18 pm

I've used "the Hat" both on the playa and in my rant in the BRC Weekly, as well as here. I know Adrian has used it, and he's barely ever on eplaya- that's my area to cover.

I don't think I'm the first of us to use it in one of the papers, but I'm way too lazy to go look.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks. The Hat seems like a great topic for a future entry.
kitoconnell

Postby moonrise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:36 pm

Cool, that's all I have, unless regionals, burners I know n met etc or my memory (and brightly lit colorful dreams) remind me of more :lol:

Off topic but funny, by sheer coincidence (sorta a coincidence) I brought a Setson hat and daytime wear tan pants/black shirt and had a disabled golf cart...we joked I could Impersonate Mr Larry Harvey but never got around to it...perhaps next year, haha

We now return you to our regular programming;
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Moonrise: I'm reminded of that mutant vehicle from some years past which was the 'Official Transport of Larry Harvey' complete with a idolatrous Larry Harvey statue on the roof.

Anyone have a good photo?
kitoconnell

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:45 pm

moonrise wrote:..we joked I could Impersonate Mr Larry Harvey but never got around to it...perhaps next year,

Oh, I wonder how many Larry Harveys we could get out there at once. I'm sure someone could make it into an event. March on First Camp carrying swordfish or something.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:15 pm

Woops...I missed several pages (wasn't notified more than once by eplaya, oh well)

TTITD <---- excuse my ignorance but what does that mean please? (Doh!)

@WS YES everyone is encouraged to play BMIR on a radio at their camp!
We had grid 24/7 power so I left mine on until it fried/died..I think, need to test it again.

BUT the coolest was that BMIR announced at midnight Sunday "Whether you are on the playa or not, Burningman has started for you too!" Then great sounds/music & commentary...my friends, who could not go, told me they liked this! (JRS emailed links) There was also a video camera live feed...apparently everyone was commenting about the bone tree..."move it" or "what is it?" From Brazil and etc. These feeds were great "gifts" from computer whiz burners :D

(btw, they also play the same radio station with speakers pointing out of all possible places/windows/doorways in Harlem! on weekends etc when they have block parties & bonfires in the streets...at least they did in the 1970's & '60's but I won't tell you the details, except to say I was a kid and not alone, ever)

OK, sorry Kit...no entries and do not want a thread drift to screw you up! :oops:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:17 pm

TTITD is That Thing In The Desert, on which there is already a lexicon entry. :D
kitoconnell

Postby Isotopia » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:47 pm

One of my favorites: choadster

It means everything you can imagine. Usually associated with males a group of males. AKA 'alpha asshat.'
Isotopia

Postby Isotopia » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Douchectomy: a severe dressing down of a choadster (see above)/frat boy/rave tard or first year DPW bag boy by an opinionated woman, comfortable in her skin, willing to take no shit from stupid (often young) males and more often in possession of an encyclopedic knowledge of bullshit than not.

In her element (or given the opportune moment) such women can rightly be considered one of the most dangerous individuals on the playa at any given time of day.

Approach with extreme caution - or reverence.
Isotopia

Postby moonrise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:01 pm

@Kit..Oh yea, I forgot (duh, haha) TTITD

Redneck Soccer;__________________________?
I don't know but I may get my nit picking ________ smacked here...

1) Rednecks are bigots...uh oh (non-Radical Inclusionary term? or non-Radical inclusion of Redneck(s)? if it gets dropped...it never will! the game at least..what would it ever be called? over my head at this point)

2) The Greenies probably think this is MOOPing (unless there's a giant DG pad tarp or whatever...burn scar prevention)

Uh, (some) old time vets must think...bunch a damned pussies!

There's a very nice, beautiful woman here in our area (still burning I do think) and she has a car trunk FULL of these ready to go! Hahaha...where's Fire Moose, she's ready to play!

Sophomore_______________________? useful or a nonce word?
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Oh GOOD...Iso has arrived :!: WOW :!:

Kit, Iso is going to give you writers cramp! VOLUMES Added...law school sorta writers cramps & calluses...

WOW!______________________? useful or a nonce word?

*moonrise "might" duck and/or run*
@Iso, not patronizing...hope ya' add some VOLUMES imho

Also, where'd TdF go? :?
moonrise

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Redneck originally referred to those working hard for a living.

The exact origin is in dispute, but some say it originated in Oregon.
gyre

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks everyone for the continued suggestions.
kitoconnell

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:32 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
moonrise wrote:..we joked I could Impersonate Mr Larry Harvey but never got around to it...perhaps next year,

Oh, I wonder how many Larry Harveys we could get out there at once. I'm sure someone could make it into an event. March on First Camp carrying swordfish or something.

count me in

we can include all shapes, sizes, ages, genders, whatever else I missed... imagine what Larry would think.."wow, I could've looked so different" he might get a rush!

what's with the swordfish though? I am lost.....will they feed/cook for us? BYOSF?
(swordfish, not cryptofish...don't get nervous!)

It would give us all an excuse/reason to buy Stetsons! :D
(I just happened to have that "close enough" style of Stetson hat, just sayin'...prices have come down too! :)
moonrise

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Isotopia wrote:Douchectomy: a severe dressing down of a choadster (see above)/frat boy/rave tard or first year DPW bag boy by an opinionated woman, comfortable in her skin, willing to take no shit from stupid (often young) males and more often in possession of an encyclopedic knowledge of bullshit than not.

In her element (or given the opportune moment) such women can rightly be considered one of the most dangerous individuals on the playa at any given time of day.

Approach with extreme caution - or reverence.

Mind if I ask what's the bag boy part mean? (to me, it is a grocery sacker in the supermarket)
moonrise

Postby Isotopia » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:57 pm

Generally speaking I mean it to suggest an individual coming in on the ground floor to a new position at a firm that holds out the...promise of recognition either through association with the employer or the possibility of grabbing on to the ladder to work one's way up. Think mail room.

Often enough - as witnessed by those familiar with DPW - such newbies quickly assume that by sheer first or even second year association they are somehow miraculously imparted with the Ubber Burny Attitude (see WikiBurnApedia) that gives them permission(s) on how best to define for others what is/not acceptably cool/uncool behavior once inside the event.

see also: 'Puppy,' 'neophyte,' 'poseur,' 'pretender,' 'sycophant,' 'Little Bitch,' or overly pieced/tattooed Gate staff.
Isotopia

Postby sputnik » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:15 pm

weirdscience wrote:where you listening to it?

http://bmir.org
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:36 am

Isotopia wrote:Generally speaking I mean it to suggest an individual coming in on the ground floor to a new position at a firm that holds out the...promise of recognition either through association with the employer or the possibility of grabbing on to the ladder to work one's way up. Think mail room.

Often enough - as witnessed by those familiar with DPW - such newbies quickly assume that by sheer first or even second year association they are somehow miraculously imparted with the Ubber Burny Attitude (see WikiBurnApedia) that gives them permission(s) on how best to define for others what is/not acceptably cool/uncool behavior once inside the event.

see also: 'Puppy,' 'neophyte,' 'poseur,' 'pretender,' 'sycophant,' 'Little Bitch,' or overly pieced/tattooed Gate staff.

Beautiful! will do! overly peirced/tatted is my favorite! as in, funny! some do NOT realize, there's a limit to the number of acceptable body holes!
y'a know? can go beyoooooond body art! :lol: :shock: :!:
moonrise

Rangered

Postby kitoconnell » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:14 pm

Today on A Burner Lexicon, we verb a familiar word: http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-rangered/
kitoconnell

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:12 pm

'poop society'

The term lovingly used by those members of the org who got their jollies placing the JOTS ten feet from the big dome.

'up yours'

The resounding motto of Root Society and its people to the Haters.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Sparkle Pony

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your continued interest. Today, the long awaited entry on Sparkle Ponies:
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-sparklepony/
kitoconnell

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:57 pm

kate IS a Rock Star.

Long Live The Eye Candy!

Sparkle ON!
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Burner Boots

Postby kitoconnell » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:kate IS a Rock Star.

I have not met her in person, but based solely on her willingness to help by writing a long detailed email about the topic of 'sparkle ponies' (much of which was not even used), I must emphatically agree. A total rockstar.

Oh, I had trouble reaching eplaya the day I posted it so I neglected to mention this entry here:
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-burnerboots/
kitoconnell

Playa

Postby kitoconnell » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Today on A Burner Lexicon, 'playa':
http://kitoconnell.com/lexicon-playa/
kitoconnell

Postby Isotopia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Kit, one correction to consider...

The playa is not really sandy, but covered with a substance about the consistency of talc known as playa dust.

The the top inch or so of 'dust' in question is actually known as glacial flour because it originated during the last ice age when the glacial melt from the eastern Sierra Nevada filled the basin which was the ancestral Lake Lahontan. The rougher, hard conglomerate just beneath the sand is known as cruft and is the component which makes life so damn hard driving (and removing rebar of any depth on the playa.

Also, here's an interesting definition for playa by the desert nature writer Arturo Longoria that sounds a bit more... romantic

playa

The Spanish word playa means "beach," "shore," or "seacoast." However throughout the Spanish-speaking world - and in the United States along the Texas Gulf coast, Florida's Gulf and Atlantic coasts, and southern California's Pacific coast - the word usually refers more specifically to a sandy beach. Playa is also used when describing the sandy bank along a river bend, or at the edge of a lake or pond. In a curious appropriation of the word (perhaps as a mistranslation), geologists and geographers have developed an elaborately esoteric definition of the word. Accordingly, playa refers to shallow gravel-bottomed, recharge wetlands in semiarid and arid prairies, or dry non-vegetated flat areas at the lowest sections of undrained desert basins. One might speculate that while viewing a wetland, a scientist inquired of a Spanish speaker, "What do you call this?" The Spanish speaker - referring to the to the sandy edges around the wetland - said, "Es una playa." Unable to fully understand the foreign tongue, the scientist wrote dutifully that a "shallow gravel-bottomed etc." is called a playa. What we are seeing is a language evolving. Perhaps two hundred years playa will mean universally more than a sandy beach. For now, however, millions of Spanish speakers know the word playa only as beach.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Isotopia wrote: glacial flour

Is lovely in of itself.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Could we state that the near-surface material of the lakebed is composed of predominately fine-grained unconsolidated lacustrine, alluvial and aeolian sediments, derived from erosion of the surrounding mountains and fluvial deposits transported by the Quinn River and other adjacent drainage systems, largely glacial in origin but supplemented in more recent geologic history by arid landform weathering processes?

In any case, "a substance about the consistency of talc" is qualitatively vague, or meaningless.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy