How *Should* We Treat Newcomers?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby Miki » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:41 am

You should give us cupcakes and a pat on the back for every good we do? :D

...or snark us 'till we know better. Yep. (I know better than to ask for something like the above statement) :(
Miki

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 am

Kinetic V wrote:
Isotopia wrote:
So the Iso, should we be treating the DJ's with some Amoxocillin then to cure the infection?

I say we take off and nuke the entire DJ culture from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If nukes can't seem to kill cockroaches what makes you think they'll effectively wipe out DJ's?

As for the Amoxicillin...this is a serious scourge. I'm thinking Vancomycin is required if you want to try the cure route.

Flagyl is pretty nasty as well. It made me wish I were dead.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 am

Miki wrote:You should give us cupcakes and a pat on the back for every good we do? :D

...or snark us 'till we know better. Yep. (I know better than to ask for something like the above statement) :(

Would you actually trust any cupcake handed to you by this crowd?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Miki » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Would you actually trust any cupcake handed to you by this crowd?

Unfortunately, if it looks and smells good...possibly. Dx Most of the crowd is good-natured...I hope?
Miki

Postby Da Mule » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am

Miki wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Would you actually trust any cupcake handed to you by this crowd?

Unfortunately, if it looks and smells good...possibly. Dx Most of the crowd is good-natured...I hope?

Always keep your cupcakes in a sippy cup!

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=37198&highlight=dosed
Da Mule

Postby Trishntek » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:05 pm

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< official cupcake taster
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elorrum » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Da Mule wrote:
Miki wrote:

Always keep your cupcakes in a sippy cup!

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=37198&highlight=dosed

oh I like saying, "sippy cupcake cup" thanks.
Elorrum

Postby can't sit still » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm

I try to avoid being snarky or rude to anyone. The E-Playa may be virtual but it still has a "tone". Each thread has a tone. iso and RG have been snarky with me. I don't see that as being justification for me to reply in kind. There are plenty of people who enjoy a visit here,,, especially the bar. What would I possibly gain by being rude? I've never even plonked anyone. Am I missing something?

I can tell someone that they're " a stupid mutherfucking piece of worthless shit" It's less typing to tell them that they're "wrong". I fail to see the rationale for attacking someone for stupidity or a difference of opinion,,, or even a lie.
"Politics" and "Gods" were closed because of rancor. How does that qualify as "discussion? I try to either maintain a diplomatic tone or just ignore a post,,,, newbies or regulars. Dunno, maybe I have the wrong attitude.
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby gyre » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:48 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Things that keep me here.

A noob simply asked which dust mask was best for the playa and by the 2nd page geologists were discussing the content and size of playa dust.

I don't know where else a simple question would get that kind of in depth answer.

I know a few places.

I have tried to urge people to not be so restrictive in their topics and subjects, but with little effect.
Eplaya's discussion of real life seems quite limited, to me.
gyre

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:40 am

Perhaps that's because the focus of eplaya is not Real Life?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:54 am

There is no rule limiting social discussion, that I'm aware of.
Most eplayans have lives year round.
It's a self imposed artificial restriction.

When you contrast eplaya with many other forums, often with much narrower technical focus, the lack of personal discussion is glaring.
And mostly habit, I think.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:02 am

one might consider, some folks, just don't want to talk, to other folks.

I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:47 am

No one has to.
gyre

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:21 am

For myself, I find eplaya to be helpful, funny and an escape from the default world. I look at it every day and find the topics and discussion a hoot. And I've learned a lot in the three years I've been looking at it. Everything from how to build a hexayurt to playa definitions, to the latest info on playa conditions. And the snark is the icing. I think a forum, any forum of people is always going to have a cross section of people , some good, some bad, some snarky. It took a while for me to summon up enough nerve to post, but I did and although I'm no regular I let my opinions known when I feel strongly enough. I wouldn't change a thing. Let the info/snark continue!!!!!!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:29 am

can't sit still wrote:I've never even plonked anyone. Am I missing something?

I consider my inability to get along with some people as an indicator of what I'm missing. Plonk is a tool. If you don't need it, don't use it.
This board is a hot bed of differing, not simply opinions but, characters, styles of interaction, senses of humor and so on. Some of us are going to have more problems with that than others. No judgment on how any of us manage to behave like grown-ups most or all of the time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:06 am

For what it's worth, Helix, reading about your project here was what made me look at it on kickbuster.com or whatever.
Not that I should be able to buy my way out of being rude to someone.
I think many of us do go to threads where there has been some high-handedness and try to be helpful and explain. Sometimes we find that a frustrating experience. And some of us do it more than others.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Trishntek » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Sometimes we just let our fingers run amok without engaging our brains, let alone our sensitivities.
Trishntek

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Trishntek wrote:Sometimes we just let our fingers run amok without engaging our brains, let alone our sensitivities.

And are you saying there is something wrong with that?

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:19 am

Is it the eplaya or the eplayans which does/do not encourage social discussion here?

Actually, I do have personal conversations with other eplayans, but these are all via PM, or on other sites where conversation is more viable. I feel less inclined to share idle RL chitter chatter here as a moderator. Some people just make me feel as if they're spectators in areas of my life I don't care to share with in this context. I'm too public of a figure here, although I have shared some deep things, I don't like to exchange pleasantries under a microscope.

If you start a thread on tents, then, Hi, how ya doin'? is thread drift.

That's what the bars are for I guess. Or the Fuck thread. The means are there, just not the desire? Start a talk to me thread and see what happens.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:51 am

Eplaya has been a part of some important moments in my life and I've shared things here that I've also shared with face-to-face friends, yet would't shout out to the town. I view it as both an extension of my social circle as well as a resource for technical advice. But anything you post online will, theoretically, be there "forever" and open to the public. That merits some thought while composing a post.

Karine's advice to her kids about it was, "Don't write anything online that you wouldn't want Gramma to read". This is not only a good guideline for them, but practical advice as well. Gramma is the most tech savvy one in the family and that is not a joke.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Trishntek » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:41 am

jkisha wrote:
Trishntek wrote:Sometimes we just let our fingers run amok without engaging our brains, let alone our sensitivities.

JK

Just the facts sir!
Trishntek

Postby gyre » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:21 pm

It doesn't have to be unwise personal info to be interesting.

This stuff comes out in the bar threads because people have it to share, but it is awkward to stay on an interesting topic in those threads.

People need to feel free to talk about this silly stuff without someone complaining that it all has to be burning man.
On the more sociable forums I'm on, there are always a few unhappy to see anything non-technical, but they are a small minority, and no one else pays attention.

Even on a dumb topic like "What Should I Name My Cat?" (Mandu, obviously!), or "What Color Do I Paint My Living Room?", some very interesting things can come up.

I've run into burners on some other forums I'm on.
One would-be even had a "Should I Go?" thread.
Very off topic and very interesting.

I don't know about everyone else on here, but I am comfortable in some very different social circles.
It keeps life interesting.
gyre

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:03 am

eplaya is an information instrument that seems to play itself and can also be plucked (the bumps) or mined (by reading really old threads, whoa!) it seems to live and breathe and float in space, rotating and pulsating with a colorful warm heart beat and rhythm of its’ own, like a gyroscope with virtually endless threads and strings spinning all the time, for newbies we can reach out and read, learn and grow, for long time burners they can ask and do the same when they have a fresh thought or feeling

I belong to two other excellent forums both non burningman (I know about tribe and the other forums, not ready for that) I will not plonk anyone there or here on eplaya...every post is part of the "fabric" of the whole canvas...sometimes I may want to plonk (one annoying person on the other non BM forum but he is one of the founders, I cannot bring myself to do it)

I'm sorry to hear some on eplaya feel the need to plonk, but if harassment etc is the reason, then yes it should be done for obvious reasons

eplaya is not the playa but it's also extremely valuable, to us all...the amazing mods & vets and newbie brainiacs...their intelligence wit, humor and snark......are priceless. The connections made cannot be compared to regionals... (another excellent animal altogether)

I'm sorry I didn't make the meet n greet, I thought it was a handful of people who were going to meet on the paved HWY 447 Sunday night! (Hi Doc, it was fun to deliver Hula Barbie! finding you was like a reverse scaveneger hunt..busy day for me haha) Missing the M&G is one tiny example that eplaya is not the real playa, hahaha...but there's soooo much more....heh heh...dig around here and join the festival and you'll understand the "sooooo much more"

I told 10x++++ long time burner freinds what I learned from eplaya and they were delighted ...Jack Rabbit Speaks was their source..yea, sure JRS is good but they've also realized this is our amazing place...I guess you would call them newbie/eplaya/vets and soon here they will be arriving, if not already...and snark doesn't bother them..it's funny and part of the fabric...

Thank you all kindly for your help to we newbies!

No, I'm not tripping but I am a trip...my grammar isn't perfect, call it Malibu/New Yorker gone to seed in Northern Calif...see you in the dust.... 8)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 am

Trishntek wrote:
jkisha wrote:

JK

Just the facts sir!

Good, cause this place wouldn't be near as much fun if I had to think; and I'm not very sensitive.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:29 am

See, Jackrabbit Speaks is an llc thing. Therefore, I would expect it to not be able to say certain things and to have a very definite point of view. Here we pretty much say what we want, and there are lots of points of view.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 am

theCryptofishist wrote:See, Jackrabbit Speaks is an llc thing. Therefore, I would expect it to not be able to say certain things and to have a very definite point of view. Here we pretty much say what we want, and there are lots of points of view.

Ain't that the truth!

JK
JK
jkisha

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm

I am amused whenever I get called "an official representative of the Burning Man Organization". Especially after I've spanked someone for cross-posting or commerce. They think I shouldn't be so "negative and unsupportive".

Oh dear, if they only knew...
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:32 pm

AntiM wrote:I am amused whenever I get called "an official representative of the Burning Man Organization". Especially after I've spanked someone for cross-posting or commerce. They think I shouldn't be so "negative and unsupportive".

Oh dear, if they only knew...

Thanks for the laugh.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 am

You know, hazing is a Rite of Passage.®
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:32 am

Agreed. And I think it's a very natural way for humans to create and maintain group identity. And I think most of us are very chary of participating in group identity like that, but our instincts still demands it.

It gets interesing if you choose to dig.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion