Art car for 2011----- question

Art car for 2011----- question

Postby arc » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Rite of passage, as I think about that theme getting a car and driving is one of the big passages we pass into as a teenager. Reading about art cars the rules say nothing that looks like a street car. I have an small electric 4 wheel cart it weighs 200 lbs and is 5 ft long and 32 in wide.
I want to build exterior sheet metal to resemble a 1965 Pontiac GTO.Well this be allowed???

ARC
arc

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:37 pm

No.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby fbcota » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:38 pm

Most likely not. However, if you made it too big or too small I think it could fly. Maybe a characature of a gto. Kinda the way we would remember it if we never saw one for 30 years?
fbcota

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 am

I agree. It can't be a replica or it will just look like a kiddie car. You need to overstate it in ways where we get the idea and the irony. You should know that the DMV does not like small MV's as much as the large ones because they view small MV's as nothing more than personal transportation for the owner. I speak from experience having brought a small MV to BM the last three years. I have an Interactive game that I play on the playa and I also give rides to anyone who needs them, so I tend to be viewed in a better light. Make sure when you apply for your license that you stress the interactive nature of your MV and why it works within the theme. It does make a difference. And make double sure it is REALLY illuminated if you want a night license. They warned me after last year to step it up or no license in 2011. Good luck.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dork » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:39 am

I agree, you run a big risk of not getting approved.

If you used something lighter such as fiberglass or fabric you could pedal power the thing and not have to deal with DMV at all.
Dork

Postby arc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks Dr Helix and all for the info I will rethink my project. I thought going small and electric is the environmental frendly thing to do. But maybe bigger diesel powered will appease the MV inspectors.

arc
arc

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:59 am

While I personally love the idea (and have owned several GTOs myself) I can about guarantee it won't get a playa license.
Kind of a shame, the early GTO, especially the '66 and '67, are some of the finest pieces of art ever created.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Return to 2011 Art & Performance