Is RV a dirty word

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.
LoveLight

Is RV a dirty word

Post by LoveLight » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi, Ive become very intimate with epalya this week,,I have read more than once that taking a RV will be annoying to other campers- noise ect so you will be forced to camp along way away..maybe alone....LOL..we dont want to be outcasts :(

Im a virgin..for BM anyway...and Im coming from Australia, so I figure RV is the easiest way for my first burn. Ive looked at Classic Adventures Reno website, they sound good and even offer bikes :D
There is only 2 of us and yes we haved camped many times in the outback here in OZ but never used a RV..any tips would be helpful..ty

also can someone point me to the right direction for directions..

Im crazy excited, Ive put a large map on my wall and turned a whole lounge wall into a BM mapping and planning wall..crazy...
Love & Light

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:43 pm

If you aren't in to spending the thousands of dollars on an RV, another option is renting a 16' moving truck from Budget on Gentry Way in Reno. Camp and sleep in the back of it. $400-$600 for the whole thing including all taxes, mileage and cleaning. All depends on your budget and needs/wants..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Optoman

Post by Optoman » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Thousands of RVs inhabit Black Rock City - no need to worry about being cast to the outer lands. You can camp almost anywhere you can find a spot for the RV, your neighbors will appreciate the wind break.

Make sure to reserve early, they go fast !

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Is RV a dirty word

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:01 pm

LoveLight wrote:Hi, Ive become very intimate with epalya this week,
and we love having intimacy with you...
LoveLight wrote:I have read more than once that taking a RV will be annoying to other campers- noise ect so you will be forced to camp along way away..maybe alone....LOL..we dont want to be outcasts ...
So, don't be. Those are behavioral issues. Be thoughtful in your use of the generator. Cover up the advertising on the sides. Talk to your neighbors before you settle down so you can work together and find something that doesn't annoy them and works for you.
LoveLight wrote:so I figure RV is the easiest way for my first burn. ...
Read up on the RV threads. The one about rules (I think it's in the "Share Resources sub-forum) is particularly interesting, as well as the ones about rental companies. Do take a video or photo tour of the rv before you drive off the lot, so you can prove that any dings, etc,. were there when you rented. I haven't used an rv, but I gather that there is at the very least an attitude adjustment, and probably a skill set involved. The batteries are problematic, you might end up having to run the generator longer than you want. It really does seem to me not to actually be a solution to all problems, just trading in one set of problems for another. But once you have the skills, a lot of people find that they really de-stress the burn.
LoveLight wrote:also can someone point me to the right direction for directions...
I hope this does it for you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:04 pm

g'day.

so, if you read and study the "first timers and survival" guides, as well as info on the main Burning Man website, you'll get a lot of your questions answered, and, probably, learn some questions you didn't think of.

RV's are perfectly fine..........the big thing, is, as with all, is respecting others.
IE:
generator noise/time/exhaust.

Other than that, they're only resented by those jealous, or "burnier than thou"..........

the only restriction to where RV's can camp, in "walk in" areas and, otherwise reserved, as in theme camps, Esplanade, etc.

There are many "RV" threads here on eplaya, you just gotta dig for them.

Be sure to do your homework, related to renting. Whether an RV or "box truck".......some places will not allow it to go to the Burn.

There is no "reserving" spaces, so, you'll get what you get, when you get there.......the only caveat, may be, if you have friends that get there early and can save you a spot.

otherwise, do your homework, and, if you can't find the answers, ask here.

Just, be prepared for snarky answers if the answer is to obvious.......or, at times, snark, just for the fun of it.

good luck and welcome
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:46 pm

TY all.

.Crypto the link is helpful...its gunna be amusing me driving a big RV thru the playa..lol

I will keep reading ...
Love & Light

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:30 pm

It's a rolling windbreak. Consider your RV to be an asset.

The ones who are complaining about RVs simply can't afford them and they are projecting their resentment onto others.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Speak for yourself, Dougly. I'm projecting resentment about all those stairs and the absolute fear of driving them.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:28 am

LoveLight wrote:TY all.

.Crypto the link is helpful...its gunna be amusing me driving a big RV thru the playa..lol

I will keep reading ...
Since the playa speed limit is 5MPH, amusing, yes. Be terrified of the interstate and HWY 447!

Do you have any experience?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:50 am

AntiM wrote:
LoveLight wrote:TY all.

I will keep reading ...
Since the playa speed limit is 5MPH, amusing, yes. Be terrified of the interstate and HWY 447!

Do you have any experience?
*keys Jimmi Hendrix*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:56 am

LOl..I drive a very small car but my friend will be driving, he has driven trucks so I think he'll be ok..what a slow drive it will be into the playa..oh well ,music my dears will keep me happy...
Love & Light

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:57 am

I have an RV motorhome I bring to the playa, albeit an ancient one that never had air or a generator. I am a non-RV camper in defaultia and notice that RVers often spend a lot of time, outside of sleeping, eating and showering, inside their rigs. They aren't very social. Also they run their gennies a lot and that is annoying.

When you set up, be sure to talk to your neighbors, consider them as you place your rig. Also, you'll be wanting to run your gennie in the morning so you can sleep a little longer because you've been out till dawn. There is no doubt that, that is why you brought it. So you can sleep. Just run it in the daytime to charge batteries and get respite from the heat and resist running it at night when others are asleep.

Do you have a shade? You'll get to know what's going on better outside. The awning can work, but don't leave it up when you leave. And be vigilant about the wind. It can come up quickly.

So, be respectful when you run your generator, and don't get holed up in your RV, there's too much to do. And if you must hole up 'cause it's hot, invite your neighbors in. You can get to know them, have a little party and give them some relief, too.

Yeah, it's expensive, but if you can afford it, it gives you what you need.

Oh yeah, welcome to eplaya. Can't wait.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:59 am

I imagine there will be a huge line of all sorts of transport, so it will be sheer stupidity if you get lost...I looked at the route on google maps..it looks kinda steep and not very wide..yikes,,music with my eyes closed will do the trick.. :shock:
Love & Light

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:03 am

There's one dicey part near Pyramid lake, just passed Nixon, apart from that I don't think "steep" is the word. It's not even steep at that part, but it's a sharp turn near a steep drop-off and most years someone seems to miss the curve.
But it is a rural two lane road without much visibility.
Do Australians drive on the right? If not, that might be something to get used to.
The Lady with a Lamprey

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:06 am

If your renting an RV, reserve it months in advance!! Also look around eplaya, and the main site. Is a Burning Man friendly or two RV rental companies. Expect them to ask, "are you going to Burning Man?"
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:07 am

Hi Teardropper...Im renting an RV cause im coming from Australia for a 5 week trip to BM them 2 weeks road trip thru Cali then onto NYC so I dont want to have to bring any camping stuff...I figured for my first Burn it would be easier this way...

question...ignorant to say the least..why do I need shade? do you mean over the RV or as an out door typr of set up....

and yes I'll be happy to invite anyone in for a meal..but am not planning to do much sleeping or staying in the RV...as it will be my first Burn,I serously want to try and see evrything I can...

Ive just set up a huge Playa & Roadtrip planning wall in my lounge..for me the fun starts in the planning...

----thank you all for the answers and welcome----xxx
Love & Light

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:12 am

Tom - yes I emailed Classic Adventures in Reno..Im flying into RNO from LA so its my best bet..noticed on his website he has BM packages ...
but wait there's more*** he offers free bicycles with every RV...LOL
His site also said he books out by march every year..so Hopefully i can book it as soon as he returns my email...the money will fall out of the sky or maybe my money tree will have a new leafe or two on it..I was in USA in August for 5 weeks I am really broke...lol
Love & Light

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:15 am

Yeah, you didn't come all that way to sleep.

If you want to sit outside you'll want a shade. Like I said, judicious use of your RV awning (don't they all have them?) will give you that shade. Just watch for wind... and DON'T leave it up when you leave.

Some travel, too? Man, you're gonna' have a good time. Welcome to eplaya, it ain't the playa, and hope I see you there.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:18 am

[quote="theCryptofishist"]There's one dicey part near Pyramid lake, just passed Nixon, apart from that I don't think "steep" is the word. It's not even steep at that part, but it's a sharp turn near a steep drop-off and most years someone seems to miss the curve.
But it is a rural two lane road without much visibility.
Do Australians drive on the right? If not, that might be something to get used to.[/quote]

What happens when you miss the curb?? Can you slide down
..Maybe I'll get out and walk while my friend drives on that part of the road......LOL

No we Aussies drive on the other side...I had a few crazy moments in LA tis August..but the police were really nice about it...lucky for me Im cute...
Love & Light

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:52 am

LoveLight wrote: What happens when you miss the curb?? Can you slide down
..Maybe I'll get out and walk while my friend drives on that part of the road......LOL
I think you tumble no matter how low the center of gravity. And there isn't a safe place to walk either. This is out in the country, the American West. I don't know how it compares to the Outback, understand. It's a state or county road, I'm pretty sure county, and it's thirty or so miles between towns. No shoulder, and you don't want to pull over, because you'll sink the rv in the soft dirt.
The Lady with a Lamprey

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:06 am

ok Crypto ..get it..ouch

xxx
Love & Light

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:11 am

theCryptofishist wrote: No shoulder, and you don't want to pull over, because you'll sink the rv in the soft dirt.
Yeah, Fishy, that's true. A friend of mine had the load he had packed on top of his SUV come loose (used bungee cords, not ratchet straps) and started losing things. He stopped, pulled over so just two wheels were on the shoulder... Well, he had to have a tow truck pull him out. It was a Lincoln and only two wheel drive. Very expensive. Not to mention the traffic hazard he posed.

Do NOT slow down or stop on the road north of Reno, do NOT pass, and just keep up with the traffic. And if/when some asshole passes you, let him in. He may be an asshole, but you don't want him dead in front of you.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:29 am

I've driven up 447 in my big rig a couple times. I soon learned to not give a shit, about the people behind me. On areas like the one Crypto mentioned, I reduced my speed to about 40. If I remember, that spot is a blind hill, followed by a sudden swerve to the left. Just take your time! Once you pass the painted boulders, It should be safe the rest of the way.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:15 pm

Ignore advice from people who don't have or use RVs with generators about when to run the power and why. You run the power when you want power, simple as that.
I can't agree more with TomServo about not giving a shit about (impatient) drivers behind you. Don't let yourself be pressured into going faster than you feel safe.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Well, as someone who has used gennies in the past, been in camps that had gennies running at all hours, I would recommend that one tries to be
considerate of others, too, and be a good neighbor.

Just how I was raised...
\^/
/..\ Furthur

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:02 pm

I wouldnt want to hear e gennie late at night when Im trying to sleep so I wont be running mine...in saying that Ive never used one...
so Im just assuming that Id run it for an hour in the morning to get breaky going and maybe a couple of hours around dinner time..???

Ive only ever driven on flat surfaces..Im from Melbourne..In the outback up north our roads are flat, all you see in red dust for miles, ceratinly no hills or sharp turns, Ive printed out your advise for my mate to read and am also asuming the the GPS will show us when these tight turns are coming..oohhh abit worried now...but he wont be, he's a brave man..:) I

you all very helpful..TY
:D
Love & Light

LoveLight

Post by LoveLight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:02 pm

I wouldnt want to hear e gennie late at night when Im trying to sleep so I wont be running mine...in saying that Ive never used one...
so Im just assuming that Id run it for an hour in the morning to get breaky going and maybe a couple of hours around dinner time..???

Ive only ever driven on flat surfaces..Im from Melbourne..In the outback up north our roads are flat, all you see in red dust for miles, ceratinly no hills or sharp turns, Ive printed out your advise for my mate to read and am also asuming the the GPS will show us when these tight turns are coming..oohhh abit worried now...but he wont be, he's a brave man..:) I

your all very helpful..TY
:D
Love & Light

teardropper

Post by teardropper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm

You'll use it when you need it. That's air and batteries. Use it. Use it in the mornings when you need to sleep. But you just won't need to run it at night. That's all I'm sayin'. Your LP and batteries will get you through just fine till morning.

And the roads.--You've got what you need to know-- that and GPS will get you to the fair Black Rock City in fine shape, and oh so ready to burn.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Snow

Post by Snow » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:19 pm

you should be just fine, just remember what the others said about the shoulder, as you can see its not the greatest:
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:52 pm

Once you pass Nixon, you'll go uphill, around a giant cow shit looking rock. Once around, you'll see a wide open valley, sloping down to Pyramid Lake. Once your going uphill, about to leave that valley, start watching the road extra careful! I think that one turn is on the other side of that incline. Also, is a turn, just past Gerlach and the truck road split you should be careful on. We lost an ice truck their a few years back.

Return to “Building Camps & Villages”