LED sequencing/supplies

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Theres Always One wrote:I do believe we want enhancement MOFSETs. I found this:

There are two ways in which a MOSFET can function. The first is known as depletion mode . When there is no voltage on the gate, the channel exhibits its maximum conductance . As the voltage on the gate increases (either positively or negatively, depending on whether the channel is made of P-type or N-type semiconductor material), the channel conductivity decreases. The second way in which a MOSFET can operate is called enhancement mode . When there is no voltage on the gate, there is in effect no channel, and the device does not conduct. A channel is produced by the application of a voltage to the gate. The greater the gate voltage, the better the device conducts.

Yes.. N Channel MOSFETs are what we want.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Theres Always One » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:47 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Theres Always One wrote:I got my LED's from Niktronix. http://www.niktronixonline.com/5mm_LED_ ... owslow.htm

Ooooo whoa... notice how on that site they have a whole discussion forum on LED lighting mods.. I would venture to guess that a good amount of info could be drawn from there too.. :wink:

I never noticed that. I doubt they would be much help though since the entire forum has about 9 threads and 50 posts.

If you are looking for a forum I would probably go to these guys http://laserpointerforums.com/

They seem to know what they are doing.
Theres Always One

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Another factor to note when using multiple LEDs of differing colors, is that not all colors shine as bright as the others. If you were to drive all colors at the same 20mA, you would have some flashing much brighter than other colors.

For example.. I have right now on my test board the purple, blue, green and pink all flashing. They are all running at 20mA. The purple is pretty dim, the blue and green blinding bright, and the pink in between the purple and the blue/greens for brightness.

So, what it looks like I'm going to do is run the purple at maybe 25mA, the pink at 20mA, and the blue/greens at 15mA. Pretty much all standard LEDs will run anywhere from 15mA to 25-30mA. In fact, when using a lot of them you may want to only run them at the lowest forward current that you can to save battery life.

FYI just one of these green LEDs is frickin blinding. I'm actually reconsidering using so many, as I would be lit up like a fricking billboard. My original plan was to use 50 per channel for a total of 500 LEDs all over my body. Whoa. Stand back.. lol
junglesmacks

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Are they all wide angle?
gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:58 pm

gyre wrote:Are they all wide angle?

They seem to be.. they are all dome top vs flat top. The viewing angle isn't extremely wide but wide enough. For what I paid for them (around $0.10/each with shipping) I'm not complaining..
junglesmacks

Postby Theres Always One » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 pm

junglesmacks wrote:

They seem to be.. they are all dome top vs flat top. The viewing angle isn't extremely wide but wide enough. For what I paid for them (around $0.10/each with shipping) I'm not complaining..

You many want to consider using a dremmel to scuff up the outside and turning them into diffused lense LED's. This will give them a "softer" feel. It looks better too, IMHO.
Theres Always One

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Theres Always One wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

You many want to consider using a dremmel to scuff up the outside and turning them into diffused lense LED's. This will give them a "softer" feel. It looks better too, IMHO.

Hmm.. very nice idea! In fact.. I just tried it side by side, and I like how the diffused looks way better. I used some sand paper, and it quickly scuffed the surface.

It increased the viewing angle completely, and took away the sharp brightness from dead on straight and made it bright all around. Perfect!

Stoked..
junglesmacks

Postby Theres Always One » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:07 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
It increased the viewing angle completely, and took away the sharp brightness from dead on straight and made it bright all around. Perfect!

Stoked..

:D

If you are doing alot I recommend using a dremmel with a sandpaper tip.

If you dont have one, I put sandpaper on a pencil end to make a sort of tool to do it.

The dremmel is way better though.
Theres Always One

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm

I just realized that the PIC board does have brightness control on it as well. I just emailed Pete to see if that will be included on the next MOSFET model as well. I guess another option would be an external dimmer control..

I also just found a super cool Us based source for a bunch of hard to find LED colors and items.. http://www.unique-leds.com/. Free shipping over $20 and pretty good prices..
junglesmacks

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 am

junglesmacks

Previous

Return to Power & Illumination