How to Join a Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Postby Trishntek » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Elorrum wrote: Do theme camps even want new people? Is camping in a theme camp something that you could do just one year, be responsible and contribute, and then try another the next year, or is it like asking to join a family? That's a huge difference. Is that a pissy question? uh oh, will reports of my pissy nature be passed through the network now?

1--Yes. If the organizers say otherwise someone doesn't play well with others. Them or you, I'm not sure.
2--The Booby Bar is pretty much family. The family extends to people who will likely never camp with us like AntiM and Le Chat Noir and Ygmir. But like good families, I don't think that you'd have to slam a door on the way out after a screaming match. But be mindful of the fact that burning hard is a form or insanity. You see how humorless some people get when it comes to their pet project or idea. So, it shouldn't be like a family, but sometimes it is, and at those times getting out fast is a very good idea.
3--Not in my book.
4--Too late, you posted on the web. It will be in every job and apartment application for you from now on.

Remember that "Permanent Record" your parents always warned you about? Well here it is!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:10 am

Don't come begging for your posts to be removed... oh wait, eplaya is not a theme camp. Except, in an odd way, it is.

Even our tiny camp runs into misunderstandings. We are a core group of four, with an inner circle of four or six or eight. Most of them can't make it each year, so we stay small. We're in a village, Hushville, so our foot print is limited. Where we run into trouble is when friends of friends get invited into the family circle and annoy the snot out of the Camp Queen Bitch. That would be me most days, but any one of the four of us can take up the role. We do try to meet those we will have camped with us, or at the least, communicate over on Tribe in our tiny tribe thread where we threaten death and dismemberment for rude behavior. The worst thing is when a dear friend of a dear friend acts like an ass... too much water in the evap, sweaty naps on my cot, trash and crap strewn about camp, sitting up and yapping next to the sleeping areas (which is the entire shade structure). It is difficult to say, Hey, you! Get your shit together when the person who invited them in doesn't say a word. Then you get "who the fuck are you?" in your very own camp. Grrrr.

I have stories and they aren't pretty.

A theme camp is something similar, on a grander scale. Learn who the senior members are, and try your damnedest not to push their buttons.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:34 pm

AntiM wrote:Learn who the senior members are, and try your damnedest not to push their buttons.

I think that this is the main thing a new person to camp should try to do. Senior camp members know the camp culture and tend to be pretty well informed of what flies and what doesn't in camp and at the event. Their sweat equity and monetary investment in camp is generally large in respect to other members and they care how well camp "works" very much.
New members may cement their good position in camp by doing what they can to help camp run well and be fun in addition to being a good camp and burning man citizen. As one of the camp leaders for Stag Camp the only people who are on my radar are the ones making a difference. If it is positive I want to keep them and facilitate their fun. If they are disruptive I want to shit can them.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Sail Man » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:10 pm

AntiM wrote:I have stories and they aren't pretty.

Please please please AntiM, tell us some stories. I've got the campfire going.

Anybody have smores?
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Roundtuit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 am

Great thread! Thanks for all the good theme camp info. I didnt even quite understand that you had to be vetted and accepted into a camp. After reading up on all the juicy details... and some of the other stuff... it seems to be a good idea to go solo my first year out. I have experience in carpentry and I have lived in the desert (read middle east) for a collective year and have plenty of experience there. As such I will most likely help out when I see a need. Again thanks for all the good info and keep it coming.
"Cars are our way of moving through life. Cars are an integral manifestation of our being. Cars are an expression of who we are, like clothes. But we can drive naked, so to hell with clothes!"
Roundtuit

Postby gaminwench » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:37 pm

I've been with 2 different theme camps over my 11 years...
Camp #1 - hosted 24/7 performance space (lots of work), 24/7 interactive art, at least 2 MV's. Population (over 7 years) varied from 40-80; newbies were supposed to be 'adopted' pre-playa by a veteran with the camp, to ensure one-on-one info sharing. Dues ran~$100, covering only camp infrastructure and electricity costs. Frequently had 'friends' of campers show up and squat during the event - no dues paid, no helping out, leaving before strike; this eventually caused the end of this camp.
Camp #2 - hosts several events/bands/workshops throughout the week, 24/7 interactive camp installations and large playa art installations 3/4 times during the event. Population 40; newbies must be invited into camp, then 'sponsored' by a vet. Each camper must either build (in early) or strike (stay late). Dues $100 before July, goes up weekly after that. Full kitchen(each camper is assigned to one meal team), sit down dinner each night, showers, electricity, tenter's shade, public dome provided.

My guess, based on personal experience, is that the earlier you find a camp/project to make friends with, the better. Start with making friends, then explore the camping options... ask lots of questions- don't assume anything- and don't tell veteran theme campers how to 'do it better'... if they want to know, they'll ask!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Another thing which annoys ... bringing the SO in when everyone is expecting a soloist. Then having the SO be critical and unfriendly. In my own camp? Fuck off, even though you're a cool cat and we'd get along fine in other situations. Go fucking camp on your own and keep your snarky ass out of my living room.

That umbrella covers friends of friends. They weren't on the agenda, they have to be super or be super-gone.

Almost as bad: playa wives of any gender. Really? You're bringing this home to mom?

We bring a cot for daytime napping, and primarily for when my back hurts and I can't sit in a chair. I need to stretch my spine, and not on the ground. So if I want my cot, you had best not grumble when I make you get up out of it.

At a regional: And don't go through my food boxes and ice chests without asking. Just because I share sometimes does not make my things community property. And don't take the ice from the raw meat cooler for your iced coffee when you haven't bought a single cube of ice, didn't lift a finger around camp, and expected fat old me to unload your gear. I hate you, you're useless. I hope the raw meat ice does its thing quickly.

If I am not feeling well, and am obviously in distress, don't just ask are you okay and then ignore the "no". Get up off your ass and go find MyLarry, or if he isn't with us this time, go find Genius or at least another ranger. I could have died you stoned, stupid fucks. If the wind lifts the shade structure, don't stand there with dumb sheep faces while I hang onto it and am lifted off my feet, go get a useful human being. If you want your stuff, unload it. If you want shade, help set it up. If you want us to haul your friend's tent poles, warn us that they're 14 feet long. Our trailer is only 10 feet. If you didn't bring paper towels, don't use half the roll on the spilt coffee you dropped because you were too stupid to know a hot metal espresso maker would burn your idiot hand. Don't ask to use my camp stove because you didn't pay attention and can't do your cast iron cooking without a campfire and then cook up five pounds of bacon without aforementioned paper towels. don't leave my camp stove packed with grease. Don't get pissy because you brought a ton of raw food with no way to cook it and we don't want sit down meals because this is not a rendezvous event. Don't make a dozen fried egg sandwiches and then leave them sitting out in camp when no one wanted breakfast except you. Don't spread out your MOOPY and boring kindergarten art project in my shade, then run off to dance without picking it up. No, none of us want to color and glue glitter. Don't assume that because I have a few strings of light up that I want you setting up an impromptu bar next to my sleeping head. I mean, within fucking inches when there's a perfectly good giant canvas tent which holds a dozen people behind my shade and tent. You invited her, you go party in her tent. And no, you don't need to dig a rain trench.

Le sigh.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:20 pm

And I hope my dear friends don't jump to the conclusion that I mean them; some of the playa wives were perfectly nice and invisible.

Basically, if you ask to camp with someone and they invite you in, don't assume that means plus one, or plus one with a few friends. Nope, not the case. You must bring your own living room shade if you have extra bodies. we can be neighbors, but don't crowd the host(ess), please.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby The CO » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:03 pm

This thread rocks.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby StewartGilligan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:22 pm

OK so it was suggested that I post here. I am a 32 year middle school old teacher looking forward to my virgin burn in 2011. My brother had his 1st time this year, and he hasn't stopped talking about it since he returned. He turned me on to the concepts of Burning Man, and I like what I have been researching. Obviously forums won't give the experience any credit.

I have been thinking about how I want to do the 1st one and end up getting more questions than solutions. Do I get to know and stay with veterans? Do I solo? Where can I find people like me or people that I will trust and get along with in the most brutal climate possible? Although I don't oppose drugs, I try to be clean in mind. Where are these people? I'm so opposed to drama, and i don't want that.

How can I contribute? Teachers don't make a shitload of money. I'm good with my hands. I came from a family of carpenters. I make a mean omelet. Us big guys do love to eat. I pour good drinks when I need to, but canned beer is just as good. I'm not artsy, but I love beautiful art.

As you can see, I'm kinda lost. From what I gather many are on their 1st trip to the playa. I do know one thing for sure. I don't want to be around anyone who fits in this video; although it does make me laugh hysterically.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
StewartGilligan

Postby Trishntek » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:57 pm

The first thing to ask yourself is:

Do I or have I had camping experience independent of another person's help in any way?

What is my budget and do I seek minimal (i.e. backpack) camping? Car camping? Stand-up tent camping? RV?

The rest really doesn't matter until you answer those fundamental questions.
Trishntek

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:05 am

My guess? Go to your regional meetings and find people with a camp who are building something. That way you get to audition them and know if it's a good fit. If it's not, you may still find someone else local, or you camp solo and if drama hasn't been too bad (a subjective term, but you know your limits) drop in a couple of times during the week.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 am

AntiM wrote:Another thing which annoys ... bringing the SO in when everyone is expecting a soloist. Then having the SO be critical and unfriendly. In my own camp? Fuck off, even though you're a cool cat and we'd get along fine in other situations. Go fucking camp on your own and keep your snarky ass out of my living room.

That umbrella covers friends of friends. They weren't on the agenda, they have to be super or be super-gone.

Almost as bad: playa wives of any gender. Really? You're bringing this home to mom?

We bring a cot for daytime napping, and primarily for when my back hurts and I can't sit in a chair. I need to stretch my spine, and not on the ground. So if I want my cot, you had best not grumble when I make you get up out of it.

At a regional: And don't go through my food boxes and ice chests without asking. Just because I share sometimes does not make my things community property. And don't take the ice from the raw meat cooler for your iced coffee when you haven't bought a single cube of ice, didn't lift a finger around camp, and expected fat old me to unload your gear. I hate you, you're useless. I hope the raw meat ice does its thing quickly.

If I am not feeling well, and am obviously in distress, don't just ask are you okay and then ignore the "no". Get up off your ass and go find MyLarry, or if he isn't with us this time, go find Genius or at least another ranger. I could have died you stoned, stupid fucks. If the wind lifts the shade structure, don't stand there with dumb sheep faces while I hang onto it and am lifted off my feet, go get a useful human being. If you want your stuff, unload it. If you want shade, help set it up. If you want us to haul your friend's tent poles, warn us that they're 14 feet long. Our trailer is only 10 feet. If you didn't bring paper towels, don't use half the roll on the spilt coffee you dropped because you were too stupid to know a hot metal espresso maker would burn your idiot hand. Don't ask to use my camp stove because you didn't pay attention and can't do your cast iron cooking without a campfire and then cook up five pounds of bacon without aforementioned paper towels. don't leave my camp stove packed with grease. Don't get pissy because you brought a ton of raw food with no way to cook it and we don't want sit down meals because this is not a rendezvous event. Don't make a dozen fried egg sandwiches and then leave them sitting out in camp when no one wanted breakfast except you. Don't spread out your MOOPY and boring kindergarten art project in my shade, then run off to dance without picking it up. No, none of us want to color and glue glitter. Don't assume that because I have a few strings of light up that I want you setting up an impromptu bar next to my sleeping head. I mean, within fucking inches when there's a perfectly good giant canvas tent which holds a dozen people behind my shade and tent. You invited her, you go party in her tent. And no, you don't need to dig a rain trench.

Le sigh.

C'mon, tell us how you really feel.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby pinemom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:24 am

Gawd i love this thread!

OH and PLEASE!!!! Dont get your nose bent outa shape if the camp says their FULL....

One of the things we have to do in Theme camps is keep the NUMBERS manageable. No really, if you get to big...then its not at all intimate.

I like the family feel.But my brothers and sisters know we gotta be kick ass hard working!

Oh and that Drama thing...yeah, Ive been smacked up side the head about it by alot of peeps...
Whatever. for them 2 weeks in the desert you betcha sweet ass I say no drama in my camp!~ PERIOD!

why: because you should see the other 50 weeks of my life!

I have been known to kick best buds outa my Bar, Just ask them.

I said..."your clearing out my bar with your bad attitudes get the FUCK OUT!!!!!!"

...and they still love me!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Oso » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 am

veleda wrote:
I'm still not for anything that connects me to Hippiedom..

I missed a lot of things..... never did see the Hippiedome

Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

Postby LoveLight » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 pm

for a virgin burner fom Oz I really like the honest posts here..it just making it more real for me...

so now I need to decide solo or camp..I will keep on checking in...
Love & Light
LoveLight

Postby anthonyk » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:37 pm

Theme camp applications are still open for three more days. In a couple of weeks there will be a list of 2010 theme camps available on the main BM site for you to peruse.
anthonyk

Postby bx1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:42 pm

AntiM wrote:Basically, if you ask to camp with someone and they invite you in, don't assume that means plus one, or plus one with a few friends.

We invited several people into our camp one year and like 3 of them brought a total of 10 extra people with them without even asking anyone. Not to mention none of these new people brought any real supplies to help the cause (they didn't even have enough supplies for themselves). So of course yours truly had to make a supply run mid-week. Not cool. Never again.
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby Trishntek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:51 pm

One of the few things I WILL NOT TOLERATE is a stranger presuming anything within my camp. I'm very hospitable but do not appreciate anyone making themselves at home without at least coming to me personally and introducing themselves. Then they ask before partaking of camp stuff. It's just good manners.
Trishntek

Postby bx1 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Trishntek wrote:The first thing to ask yourself is:

Do I or have I had camping experience independent of another person's help in any way?

What is my budget and do I seek minimal (i.e. backpack) camping? Car camping? Stand-up tent camping? RV?

The rest really doesn't matter until you answer those fundamental questions.

I come from a very heavy hiking / outdoor survival background, but I still found some challenges my first burn (and even others). However, most those were the result of idiots (i.e. drugged up kids passing out in our camp and messing with our gear).
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

Postby Digit » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:18 am

This thread is great!

I missed 2010 (my first burn-to-be), but had started to research as far back as August, as I was 'planning' on going. Alas, the fundage was not there, and therefore, no burn for me. So, instead of getting a bug up my ass, I decided to play the bookworm and read more into it. I've got a group of about 5 or 6 people who are all vet's, 3 or 4 years for each of them, so I've got a good solid group of people to go with already. But, even then, I still thought about joining a theme camp.

This thread hasn't spurned me from the idea, but It's really helpful to know what to look for in good/bad camps, what to expect, not to expect, and having veteran burners around to tell you absolute horror stories about some of those people out there that WILL take advantage of you and yours.

So thanks folks! I've got my camp for this year, and probably a few years to come, but getting a feel for camp etiquette and contributing, whether you belong to a theme camp or not is really going to help come next year.

Thanks for starting this Crypto! And thanks for everyone who's contributed. Really good stuff here. :D
Digit

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 am

Do you have experience in timber-framing, or worked at Ren Faire, or have some background in Norse spirituality? Then please consider Valhalla.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Do you have experience in timber-framing, or worked at Ren Faire, or have some background in Norse spirituality? Then please consider Valhalla.

so if we're a carpenter, a geek or a pagan you're going to kill us? Or am I reading this wrong....

:wink:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:39 pm

I promise only the nectar of eternal existence, after you dispose of your bothersome shell. And an honorable demise in battle of course. Does that answer your question?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Come on, Dougly, show your barbarian mettle by killing those ren fairers now.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Come on, Dougly, show your barbarian mettle by killing those ren fairers now.

Great.

Now Fishy wants me dead too.

Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gaminwench » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Ren Faires are just a gateway *drug* for BM...

Eric: I'm pretty sure I have that flat cap...
gaminwench

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Oh, d on't worry Eric. It's really those Dickens Faire people who deserve to be buried with a stake of holly in their stony little hearts.

Besides, since I know you, I'll give you dispensation.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:32 pm

gaminwench wrote:Eric: I'm pretty sure I have that flat cap...

He was wondering where it went.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gaminwench » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:34 pm

migration???
gaminwench

PreviousNext

Return to 2014 Theme Camps