Cut out log stoves? at the Empire store....

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Bob wrote:
¡Niers! wrote:does this rocket stove run on playa dust?

Why, yes, if you mine the playa underneath the blue rooms. Careful, it's highly explosive.

Uh, Bob? You might have a small problem with that image you posted. It's displaying the message: "I steal other people's images." Not good.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby TomServo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:24 pm

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... 14f7lq4fd4

Think I need some woodworking tools.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:45 pm

TomServo wrote:
ygmir wrote:hey Tom........I can make you one or more of those stumpstoves.
If you want/need.

That would be cool! If I had the tools, someday, Id like to try making one. Thanx!

just let me know when.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Donna Matrix » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:08 pm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, now I know what you've been up too.

tisk, tisk..................................Image
Donna Matrix

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:17 pm

Kinetic V wrote:Uh, Bob? You might have a small problem with that image you posted. It's displaying the message: "I steal other people's images." Not good.

I saw the image just fine. So, unless Bob edited his (oh yeah, I could look, but not at the expense of my reputation for laziness), we're getting different effects for some reason.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Donna Matrix wrote:SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, now I know what you've been up too.

tisk, tisk..................................Image

have I been naughty?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:Uh, Bob? You might have a small problem with that image you posted. It's displaying the message: "I steal other people's images." Not good.

I saw the image just fine. So, unless Bob edited his (oh yeah, I could look, but not at the expense of my reputation for laziness), we're getting different effects for some reason.

3 different browsers on the laptop, a Verizon phone, and a Sprint phone all showed the same thing that I posted. Definitely YMMV when it comes to that image.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby RichieRiot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm making a smaller burn barrel / wood burning stove out of a 5 gallon drum that is a smaller version of a 55gal drum.

I get them all the time as leftovers/trash working as a painter. They are used for lacquer thinner.

just my .02
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - Pigkiller
RichieRiot

Postby TomServo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:58 pm

ygmir wrote:
TomServo wrote:
If you want/need.

That would be cool! If I had the tools, someday, Id like to try making one. Thanx!

just let me know when.

You going to SF decompression? Otherwise I could organiize a tip up there.

TomServo

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:18 am

TomServo wrote:I apologize, Isotopia. I was looking for a fucking log. And jumped the gun with your reply. I'm donating a 10 gallon steel barrel to a friend, to make her own rocket stove.

If you want/need.

TomServo...I wonder, can you make a rocket stove out of a 10 gallon!!!! size barrel???? If so, sign me up! I think the design used a black stove pipe and other tin cans and twigs for fuel...huh, can it be made bigger without tearing out ones hair in the process? Please let me know if you complete one that works.

ygmir...yea man, crank some of those cut log stoves out! That'd be cool...you could go BIGGER than the originals!
With a SHARP new chain or freshly sharpened chain I wonder HOW big of a log stove could be done? Interesting for sure! (no redwood stumps, ok?)
Some of the log cutters do that stacking of angle cut stumps...it'd be interesting to make each one a cut log stove and light up a whole stack!
Burning log sculpture...maybe light the top ones earliest and watch as they burn down one by one. Still might be too moopy but it reminds me of those interesting cone shaped fire pits that spray 1000's of red sparks about every five or ten minutes when a burning log drops and the sparks blow through the metal screen from the playa breeze and create a curtain of safe, clean, fire sparks...very clever design. I walked through one of those curtains of fire the first time I noticed those...impressive to say the least!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:57 am

moonrise wrote:
TomServo wrote:I apologize, Isotopia. I was looking for a fucking log. And jumped the gun with your reply. I'm donating a 10 gallon steel barrel to a friend, to make her own rocket stove.

If you want/need.

TomServo...I wonder, can you make a rocket stove out of a 10 gallon!!!! size barrel???? If so, sign me up! I think the design used a black stove pipe and other tin cans and twigs for fuel...huh, can it be made bigger without tearing out ones hair in the process? Please let me know if you complete one that works.

ygmir...yea man, crank some of those cut log stoves out! That'd be cool...you could go BIGGER than the originals!
With a SHARP new chain or freshly sharpened chain I wonder HOW big of a log stove could be done? Interesting for sure! (no redwood stumps, ok?)
Some of the log cutters do that stacking of angle cut stumps...it'd be interesting to make each one a cut log stove and light up a whole stack!
Burning log sculpture...maybe light the top ones earliest and watch as they burn down one by one. Still might be too moopy but it reminds me of those interesting cone shaped fire pits that spray 1000's of red sparks about every five or ten minutes when a burning log drops and the sparks blow through the metal screen from the playa breeze and create a curtain of safe, clean, fire sparks...very clever design. I walked through one of those curtains of fire the first time I noticed those...impressive to say the least![/q
uote]

I have no idea how the 10 gallon "burn barrel" will work. I'm more intrested in these stump logs

TomServo

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:11 am

Hi Tom,
nope, not going to S.F. decom.

Also see if anyone from down that way is heading up this way? Might save a trip.

Otherwise, yeah, I can make a couple if you want.
Ping me with what size and timing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:58 am

Let me get back to you. I may be up that way soon. I know for sure Ill be up that way in July.

TomServo

Postby teardropper » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:24 am

Seems like a twig stove would be perfect on the playa. About 15 or 20 minutes of gathering out on the near playa to cook a meal. Oh, you were talking about a log FIRE place...
Well, that's completely different. Seems obvious, really, to see what you were talking about. I wonder why you would get such obviously misplaced and uncalled for snark in the very first comment of a legitimate question?... I thought snark, especially such incorrect to the subject snark, was allowed only after real, and the askers, question was answered?

Well, it is eplaya. Even if it's totally off question, and not very good 'snark' to begin with.

Real answers first, per the moderators wishes, then snark, even wrong and off topic snark.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:53 am

Re: http://www.stumpstove.com/ --

Doesn't look like a chainsaw is involved at all, more like a bandsaw & drill on a peeler log.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 am

Bob wrote:Re: http://www.stumpstove.com/ --

Doesn't look like a chainsaw is involved at all, more like a bandsaw & drill on a peeler log.

The hollowed out stump, looking from above looks like the work of a chainsaw....not that I've ever used a chainsaw..

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... aGohaZ9SZU

TomServo

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:42 am

Ok.....another question. Ygmir you may know this.... does the stump stove need the 6-12 months to dry? Only experience I've had with fire logs is splitting them, when I was pissed off at my step mom.

TomServo

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 am

Bob

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:48 am

TomServo wrote:Ok.....another question. Ygmir you may know this.... does the stump stove need the 6-12 months to dry?

Rule of thumb is a year per inch or two of thickness for hardwood cut green, less for softwood. Article above says the Canadian guy builds log homes, so the stump stoves are probably cutoffs or culls from his stash of Lincoln Logs, already seasoned. The center hole has some kind of fins for ad hoc kindling, and wax-soaked shavings for tinder.

Oooh, here's another one. Amazing what the Google can do for homework assignments.

http://www.woodlandcraftshop.co.uk/firedragonlogs.html

Bob

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:22 pm

I like that one. I wonder if these logs can be traced back historically. It seems like an old technology, and if so can it be patented? Just a thought.

TomServo

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Bob

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Bob wrote:Ahem.

Umm a little different but ok..

Seems like something that couldn't be patented...if it is, I'm patenting dog shit. And charging every dog owner $.25 for every dump.

TomServo

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:16 pm

yeah, I'd say the drying time is about right.......of course, it depends on the size of the log. But, with softwood, a good hot summer and it's good to go.
The big stuff can take longer.
It'll dry faster, if cut to shorter lengths.......also, I bet, if hollowed and grooved as it's gonna be, it'd dry even faster.

I do think it was a chainsaw.........looked like a square hole in the middle, on the vid I saw........
And, I'm damn good with a chainsaw (look at the new roof and ceiling on my rental house next door)...............

At a point this winter, I'll probably just make some, for kicks.
So, let me know when you're coming up.
I'll find some dry pine, in the mean time,,,,,maybe cedar.

Oak would be good, really hot,,,,,,,,but, I hate to waste good house heating firewood.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:26 pm

ygmir wrote:yeah, I'd say the drying time is about right.......of course, it depends on the size of the log. But, with softwood, a good hot summer and it's good to go.
The big stuff can take longer.
It'll dry faster, if cut to shorter lengths.......also, I bet, if hollowed and grooved as it's gonna be, it'd dry even faster.

I do think it was a chainsaw.........looked like a square hole in the middle, on the vid I saw........
And, I'm damn good with a chainsaw (look at the new roof and ceiling on my rental house next door)...............

At a point this winter, I'll probably just make some, for kicks.
So, let me know when you're coming up.
I'll find some dry pine, in the mean time,,,,,maybe cedar.

Oak would be good, really hot,,,,,,,,but, I hate to waste good house heating firewood.

Could you accelerate the drying by baking the logs? I'm sure I could find whole stumps sold as firewood....But it would suck to make one and find out its too green to burn.

TomServo

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 pm

seems baking would be counter productive, not only finding an oven big enough, but, drying to fast can cause wood to split and or crack.
Air flow is as important as heat, in drying. taking the bark off, cutting it to length, sitting it in the sun and where it's breeze will do about as much as can be done.

I probably have some seasoned pine and or fir at my mountain "retreat".......
I'll check when I go up next week.

I'd also imagine, it does not have to be "perfectly" dry,,,,,,,damn close, but, once you get it burning inside........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:45 am

I got a gas heater, so maybe ill bring up some Oak stumps. Its been pretty warm here, with no rain and very little fog, so I'm sure dry logs are easy to find.

Wonder if I could find some Mesquite stumps?.....

TomServo

Postby Da Mule » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 am

Kinetic V wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

3 different browsers on the laptop, a Verizon phone, and a Sprint phone all showed the same thing that I posted. Definitely YMMV when it comes to that image.

He edited...

see you humans get to be lazy while us Mules do all the WORK!
Da Mule

Postby maryanimal » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:47 pm

So how's it going with the log search Tom? Any luck finding mesquite logs? I'm thinking about making a rocket stove. I've looked online and found plenty O' stuff on that subject! Should be interesting.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TomServo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 pm

maryanimal wrote:So how's it going with the log search Tom? Any luck finding mesquite logs? I'm thinking about making a rocket stove. I've looked online and found plenty O' stuff on that subject! Should be interesting.

Not a lot of Mesquite trees in no.cal. are some down south...and I've found an eager supplier of Oak stumps in Napa.

TomServo

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 am

if they're actual "stumps" with roots and such, they will be problematic, in that they'll likely have a lot of dirt and rock embedded in the areas at or below original ground level. Tough on a chainsaw.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear