San Francisco Chronicle calls Burning Man on its racism

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:12 pm

I thought it was always Burningman.com, not .org.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby scorin_soren » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:23 pm

Im from atlanta and the freaKNIK WAS BUSTED BY THE GORVERNMENT!
IF BURNING MAN WAS BLACK THEY WOULD CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD JUST LIKE ATLANTA AND SHUT IT DOWN! JUST CULTURE!? I THINK NOT. BLACK PEOPLE GET LYNCHED FOR TAKING A HIKE STILL TO THIS DAY! BUNCH OF WEST COAST SOFTIES THIS IS A GLOBAL PROBLEM. THINK ABOUT A WAY TO FIX YOURSELF AND FIX IT YOURSELF. BUY SOME HOMIES A TICKET.
Dirty Southern
scorin_soren

Postby Isotopia » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Score_some_meds_Soren.
Isotopia

Postby Trishntek » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 pm

scorin_soren wrote:Im from atlanta and the freaKNIK WAS BUSTED BY THE GORVERNMENT!
IF BURNING MAN WAS BLACK THEY WOULD CALL THE NATIONAL GUARD JUST LIKE ATLANTA AND SHUT IT DOWN! JUST CULTURE!? I THINK NOT. BLACK PEOPLE GET LYNCHED FOR TAKING A HIKE STILL TO THIS DAY! BUNCH OF WEST COAST SOFTIES THIS IS A GLOBAL PROBLEM. THINK ABOUT A WAY TO FIX YOURSELF AND FIX IT YOURSELF. BUY SOME HOMIES A TICKET.

Not that I agree or disagree with what you are saying, but how you say it,,,, you do not need to SHOUT! It is rude and unnecessary.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby jkisha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Geez Trishnik, they said it FIVE F*ckin years ago for christ sakes. You sure must have had a boring day to go digging up a thread this old.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Eric » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Jkisha- Trishntek didn't dig it up- look at the dates on the postings. Scorin_sorin, someone with only 2 posts somehow dug up a bomb thread from 5 years ago to post. Trishntek was responding to that bait.

Hmmm.

Sock, or troll?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:02 am

There's a lot of crap buried deep in the old thread, mundane drivel, irrelevant jokes in limbo and a whole lotta yawn. A few golden nuggets, and this ain't one of them.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:52 am

Eric wrote:Jkisha- Trishntek didn't dig it up- look at the dates on the postings. Scorin_sorin, someone with only 2 posts somehow dug up a bomb thread from 5 years ago to post. Trishntek was responding to that bait.

Hmmm.

Sock, or troll?

My apologies to Trishntek.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Trishntek » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:26 am

quite alright dear,,,, now just put your hands through here,,,,, that's it,,,, now put on foot over here,,,, uhuh,,, and the other one here,,,,, now open wide!!

besides, isotopia responded before i did
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

the freaking chronicle is full of crap

Postby gunsmith » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:07 pm

sf chron is a BS rag, I have an editorial saved in my files from 2003 sf chron- weeping and wailing about the "Patriot Act" - when B.O extended it for another 4 years they had zero complaints.
they're two faced jerks.
I may not be here now but I was there then
gunsmith

Postby Schtev » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:03 pm

I know its five years too late, but...what bullshit. There's no discrimination against people who aren't white. The only REAL barrier to Burning Man is financial, and some effort is made to address that via low income tickets (beyond that I think its up to the theme camps to sponsor people). Just because you don't see a bunch of black people somewhere doesn't automatically make the place racist.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Camp Name: Camp Fuckowee

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:05 pm

steve.t.sullivan wrote:(beyond that I think its up to the theme camps to sponsor people).

Yeah, cause building our infrastructure, and planing our camps, and working together to make a village that works, and buying a metric fuckton of booze and mixers, and inventing theme nights, and making other interactivity, and plotting all year long (yes, it's already begun) simply sucks up our spare cash and leisure time; we need to cut into our eatin' money and work time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby big baby jesus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Darryl: "It's about time that BMORG's racism..." Nothing in the article implied racism, just a lack of people of color.

Don't be a dildo, defend your statement.
big baby jesus

Postby LovePaint » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:16 am

Maybe it's the people YOU interacted with?

For my burn, I was an Asian girl camping with a Latino gay guy and a white girl. Our next door campmates and burn buddies were a trio of Brits who were Anglo-saxon, Indian, and Persian/Irish. I talked, interacted, and hung out with whites, blacks, East Indians, and spent a whole day with some Persian Jews. Sure there were mostly white people there, but there were tons of people from other ethnicities and countries. If anything, there were far less Asians than any other "color" on playa, but I didn't mind.

I didn't feel "barred" for the "racist" event, and found it one of the most inclusive places I've been in. Maybe there are more white people there because North America/Europe/Australia (the most commonly representative continents) have a majority caucasians, and also cause it's hella expensive to go so there's a disproportionate number of middle/upper-middle classers.

I think this is silly though, trying to shove American preconceptions of "skin color" on what felt like a very international, inclusive event. It's like saying all the pale people that I met from the US, France, Germany, Australia, etc are all the same since they have the same color. Shall we have affirmative action at Burning Man now too?
LovePaint

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:47 am

Burning Man isn't racist. Classist, sure, which of course leads back to racism, but it isn't inherently racist.

Divide what goes on at Burning Man into factions, and see how "diverse" the rave scene, Rainbow gatherings, the goth scene, geekdom, etc. are.

Round heah - and allow me to speak for Atlanta, since the previous poster clearly doesn't know what he's talking about - that we have a pretty diverse "scene" down here in the South.

Heck, I flew out of here all the way to Reno with two black virgins (who loved it, BTW).

White people just love to talk about how racist everybody else is.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby teardropper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:33 am

That's right. Tired topic. Radical inclusion. I believe it's meant.

But the article never mentioned it was racist. Didn't imply it. We getta' talk about race without being racist.

Jeez...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Playa Luigi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:19 am

The person writing the story is going completely on hear say. If the author actually went to the event, then they would stfu!!
"I went to Burning Man" - Me
"You went to Birmingham???" - Them
"NO!! WHY would I do that??" - Me
Playa Luigi

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:26 pm

it aint about the schvartze....

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:55 pm

as a half black half italian who considers himself half black and half italian, i know that burningman isn't racist. not a racist word or action have i seen on playa. I love seeing other people of color out there. granted there aren't tons, but over the years there are more and more. i don't give a shit about the color of someone's skin, i care about the depth of their heart. who gives a fuck about race, its a social construct anyway. what is race even, but a way to box people up and separate them.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:18 pm

scorin_soren wrote:Im from atlanta and the freaKNIK WAS BUSTED BY THE GORVERNMENT!

I'm from Atlanta, where I lived for fifteen years, including every year of Freaknik. I think you are full of shit. Unmitigatedly so. Freaknik was shut down by the Atlanta PD and the elected officials of Atlanta, the vast majority of which were/are black folk. The event was shut down because it caused major gridlock on Atlanta's main in-town arteries, featured much too much violence against person and property, and resulted in mounds and mounds of trash all over private property. I know, I lived on Piedmont Park, the epicenter of the event and it got so bad that I stated parking my car in another part of town and riding my bike out to it whenever I needed to get somewhere.

Saying Burning Man, an event that practices radical inclusion, is racist is so incredible stupid. My camp featured caucasians, african-americans, and asians from Colorado, New York, San Francisco, and Ireland.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Penny Dreadful » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:03 am

Speaking on the lack of diversity at BM, for obvious reasons, we black folk are rather shy around crowds of white people dressed in strange costumes setting a wooden structure on fire.

I kid, I kid...

I'm a black woman (I guess) and I went to BM for the first time this year. I've known about the event for ages, since the early nineties and have always wanted to go, but knew no one crazy, fun, experimental, adventurous enough who wanted to join me. I'm lucky to have become close friends with a BM veteran to introduce me to it. I never had so much fun in my life. But more than that, BM was like an epiphany, which I would like to talk about some other time.

I have to tell you I didn't notice how many whites, blacks, or Latinos and Asians were there. I just blended in with every crowd I went into. No big whoop. From my personal experience, BM felt like family. It honestly, truly, felt like a giant family. To call BM racists is to, one, have no understanding of what 'racism' means, and, two, underestimate the financial and educational disparities between whites and minorities that prevent their socializing at events such as BM. Just my two cents.
Penny Dreadful

Aleph.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:12 am

penny my dear, your two pieces of common cents are the most valuable so far in this thread.

be careful, around here, straightforward pure reason will be ignored.

wrap up those nuggets of nougat in a heaping helping of bullshit and perhaps the profound nature of "Emet" will work it's magic.

welcome to e-playa.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:59 am

Thanks, Penny.
I suspected that that might be the case, but I didn't think I had the position to call it as truth.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby pinemom » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:57 am

The only racism I ever see is Purple People....

For some reason one of your camp mates comes into camp covered in head to toe Purple glitter, purple person....Get alot of crap for it!

So dont go PURPLE GLITTER! you will be ostracized..huh Box?
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby gaminwench » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:02 am

In our camp of 40 burners, the (only)black woman cracks a serious whip....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

really, i had NO idea....

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 pm

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy