Lighting theft?

Lighting theft?

Postby Mosin » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm

My wife and I are in the concept stage for a 2011 art contrubution, and are thinking of using el wire for a diffused ground effect under the objects, with an outer ring of solar leds for added safety/visibility. My main concern about the el wire is how often I will need to replace it (if at all) due to theft? It will be well mounted...perhaps even epoxied in places, so it won't be just hanging out in the open, but after seeing many an art piece on the playa seemingly pillaged of one or another lighting component I just want to be prepared with sufficient replacements. So to the vets out there... how common is lighting theft? TIA!
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby fbcota » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Not much of a vet. But the past 2 years of projects have been completely theft free. Talking to other artists I have never heard of lighting getting stolen.
fbcota

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:41 am

The LED lily pond from 2002 suffered theft of some of the lilies and dragonflies. Had to be thought out too, as it took a specialized wrench to get them off their stems. I've heard of other desirable solar things lifted, which is why we keep ours high up. There's a thread in lost and found about a lighted star ornament which was taken. I've never heard of fixed el-wire being taken though.

It could happen, but don't let that stop you. Just one of those risks which you acknowledge then proceed to do something cool anyway.

So, what did you see that makes you think it was taken? Just curious...
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby RichieRiot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:56 am

That's just not cool. Stealing from someone's art project. That's the kind of shit that brings real world greed to the playa.

I hope there isn't any theft to worry about. I am working on a small art install for my base camp (not a theme camp) that will be using modified solar lights. It's something I want to display for people just for fun, and to enjoy and I don't want to be at my camp 24/7. I just want to dress up my tent/van a bit, showcasing my art.

I think there should be a new law at Burning Man. Steal someone's shit and face them in Thunderdome. LOL.
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - Pigkiller
RichieRiot

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 pm

RichieRiot wrote:
I think there should be a new law at Burning Man. Steal someone's shit and face them in Thunderdome. LOL.

Problem is, you gotta catch them first.

JK
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby RichieRiot » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:52 pm

[quote="jkisha"][quote="RichieRiot"]

I think there should be a new law at Burning Man. Steal someone's shit and face them in Thunderdome. LOL.[/quote]

Problem is, you gotta catch them first.

JK[/quote]

VERY TRUE. But I am sure if people thought there would be a good show for catching a thief... you never know. Just like the movie.
"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - Pigkiller
RichieRiot

Postby Mosin » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks all for the responses. It sounds like lighting theft is a rarity... thus a few spares (which I would bring anyway in case of mechanical failure) should cover us for the week. And that's a particularly good thing since el wire ain't cheap!

AntiM wrote:So, what did you see that makes you think it was taken? Just curious...

The one that stands out in my mind this year was a mid-playa piece mounted on top of a ~6ft tripod (three large legs... bamboo if I remember correctly) that had surgical tubing with el-wire inside wrapped around each leg from top to bottom, held on with zip ties every foot or so. The el wire strand for one of the three legs was missing, and the empty surgical tubing was left dangling in the wind. The unwrapped, empty tubing is what made it seem more thefty than maintenance (to this seasoned armchair BRC-CSI ;)).
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Postby gyre » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:59 am

Don't use elwire?

And security fasteners might be handy.
gyre

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:04 pm

I can help steal some of yer lighting if you want.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Snow » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:14 pm

never had any lighting taken. 3 years we've used the same solar puck lights screwed down with security screws on 3 different projects.

Ein hammer had all kinds of lights an even lcd tvs and blue ray players. didn't see were anyone tried to make off with them. we were concerned about that. of course it was manned at night too, so that may have helped.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby dr.placebo » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:40 pm

We haven't had lighting theft, but there has been damage nonetheless. Probably just thoughtless, but it's hard to tell. Not sure how to make it more robust without making it super expensive.
dr.placebo

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Seriously I thought this was about Lightning Theft.

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Mosin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:42 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:I can help steal some of yer lighting if you want.

As long as you don't self rely on my mom. (for those familiar with FM's Greatest Post of All Time :lol:)
Mosin

Postby gyre » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:46 pm

gyre

Postby Mosin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm

dr.placebo wrote:We haven't had lighting theft, but there has been damage nonetheless. Probably just thoughtless, but it's hard to tell. Not sure how to make it more robust without making it super expensive.

I'm also considering what a pain it would be to change out failed components with a high-security mount (such as a combo of surgical tubing, zipties, security fasteners, and epoxy blobs). I guess I'll just put my faith in burnerkind and see how it goes this year with minimal security and a few spares on hand.
Mosin

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:42 am

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:46 am

the original:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:51 am

Mosin wrote:
dr.placebo wrote:We haven't had lighting theft, but there has been damage nonetheless. Probably just thoughtless, but it's hard to tell. Not sure how to make it more robust without making it super expensive.

I'm also considering what a pain it would be to change out failed components with a high-security mount (such as a combo of surgical tubing, zipties, security fasteners, and epoxy blobs). I guess I'll just put my faith in burnerkind and see how it goes this year with minimal security and a few spares on hand.

Security fasteners should be easy with the bits.

They make nuts too.
gyre

Postby JStep » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:20 am

So my plan to make an ongoing installation out of bits of other people's art I've stolen throughout the week is a bad idea?
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:16 pm

JStep wrote:So my plan to make an ongoing installation out of bits of other people's art I've stolen throughout the week is a bad idea?

It's actually a great idea. Your art includes stealing. Their art includes beating theives to a pulp. Win-Win, as far as I can tell.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm

there was a plastic pyramid covered with paper money a few years back...only the large denomination bills got stolen, which suggests something. I was amazed any of it survived...(no I did not take any)

never heard of lighting theft...even my easily stolen solar yard lights have survived for many years.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby JStep » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:53 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
JStep wrote:So my plan to make an ongoing installation out of bits of other people's art I've stolen throughout the week is a bad idea?

It's actually a great idea. Your art includes stealing. Their art includes beating theives to a pulp. Win-Win, as far as I can tell.

Dammit, I'm going to have to rethink this... I was so looking forward to "Playa Collage"...
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby gaminwench » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:33 pm

...had lights taken from our art 3 or 4 of the 7 years... solar strings (attached), ceiling light (attached, buried and covered!), blue police flasher (attached)...
we've concluded that we need to budget for fresh lighting every year... and always have back-up for the likely disappearances....

YMMV...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Anything with a ballast, you can remote mount the ballast, and at least stop repeat theft.
Creative use of security hardware can make most of this theft too much effort.

Fasteners range from common to custom made.
I'll offer any help I can.

The important thing is to think of them differently from locks.

For instance, you can use heavy hardware for fastening and security fasteners for locking in place.
I'm doing this on some staircases.
They do make large fasteners though.

You can make your own sleeves for nuts too, that require a deep well socket to reach.

Weird what people will steal sometimes.
gyre

Postby arc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:43 pm

GYRE has it, mount the transformers inside and so they are not accessable. 12 in led light strips they look like cold cathode tubes, put out a lot of light and strong and fairly cheap. about $8 for 12 in. they come in several colors, and will last several years.

ARC
$20 bucks and don't look at the arc
arc

Postby Here and there » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:28 am

Not at all, as long as you're willing to participate in my Shar'ia camp festivities, later in the week. You might have to sign a few waivers.
When in doubt, hit the ignore key. You'll seldom miss anything worth reading, and your blood pressure will thank you.

My Homepage: Torchlight
Other Pages: My Foes List
Here and there

historically speaking

Postby mentaldk » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:47 am

most people only steal thunder
2011 Burning Virgin
---
Don't beleive everything you think
mentaldk

Postby pizzamancer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:04 pm

I know the Harveywood sign was stolen last year. The culprits were pretty easy to find though. It also added a whole new aspect to what was already a cool art installation.
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby lucky.bastard » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:22 am

Razor Wire?
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby ¡Niers! » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:42 am

Electrify everything. Five finger zap!
¡Niers!

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance