Cell Service in Black Rock City

Cell Service? Good Or Bad?

Good
43%
Bad
58%

Total votes : 40

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:21 pm

you guys know, he's already dropped trou, pullin one off, wearing his Napoleaon hat sideway, reading how he's stirred you all up and gotten responses/attention.

Probably has a "pinky and the brain" poster on his wall..
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Finnegan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:42 pm

If there was ever a thread that could use Miss Isotopia at her best this is one of them..

Do not invoke that name! What the hell were you thinking?!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 pm

ygmir wrote:you guys know, he's already dropped trou, pullin one off, wearing his Napoleaon hat sideway, reading how he's stirred you all up and gotten responses/attention.

Probably has a "pinky and the brain" poster on his wall..

I'm still wondering who's sock he is.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Finnegan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Yeah, it smells a little troll-y.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:49 pm

I don't smell sock...........I'm thinkin

trou droppin
basement livin
pud wackin
troll

hey, sounds like a song.......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNM4atakanI[/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:04 pm

CAn I at least point out that given the event's long time association with the tech sector, that perhaps cell service in BRC is absolutely within the "spirit of burningman"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Snow » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 pm

a cell phone is really just a fancy radio, which is just a fancy version of cans on a string. One of my favorite moments this year was when someone strung a can phone from our camp tower to the one in Terminal City!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Did you hear me pissing in the can?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby The CO » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Snow wrote:...our camp tower to the one in Terminal City!

The ONE in Terminal city? We have multiple. Of course, M*A*S*H uses a stealthy one.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 pm

The one in M*A*S*H is the only one I saw.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby punapeter » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 pm

sure am glad I have all you lovely worded folks you set me straight on how I'm supposed to do my burn, evidently I did it wrong, not your way?
Considering I flew in from off the continental US and being handicapped had limited ability to bring much. I think I did well.

I don't think the pastries were made in china and the receivers of them were happy. For all your,"we're experienced and you're just a fuckin virgin troll" is so sweet and welcoming, home I'm so enamored.

But none of you drive my bus so your collective attacks reflects heavy on your mob mentality. Not what I do that suits you. I could do a list like whomever did. Like you know I did this that and that, minute by minute.
I need not prove anything here.
And as I only discovered BM 30 days before I watched him fall I think I did pretty good. Considering the logistics and my circumstances which none of you judgmental folks who accuse me of being judgmental, have a clue about.

No worries, I'm not wanting to be in your click.
But as you all prefer to focus on how things are said and pick them apart, your quote option is overused, I won't share with you the good things that occurred to me and my friends, or the medical miracle. You'd all just berate it as well I'm sure.

But you are a little entertaining I don't watch TV, so if I don't respond immediately I'm peddling the bike to generate more power for my monitor. :roll: :roll:
And people who love to throw out the 'Troll" roll, usually live under the bridge they accuse everyone of trolling.

And@ Snow, don't wait too long you'll melt. I didn't have them drop to their knees, that was a quenched reaction by them. But I love the way people reread things to suit themselves. I could have spent the whole week passing out china wipes and not one person would have turned it down. Certainly no one turned one down.
Sorry I didn't have time in 30 days to cast gold pendants for everyone.

I did give 5 gals of water to an RV who was sucking air. And schooled one coke head on the rules of his behavior he may want to reconsider, he did.
I gave people rides and did what I could. Mostly I tried not to be a burden on anyone with my handicaps. I'm pretty able to do that. I was supposed to go in for surgery no go to the desert, Sorry if my gifts weren't up to your standards, those who got them were happy.
punapeter

Postby Snow » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:24 pm

I don't think anyone cares about your gifts its your know it all pompass holyier than thou attitude that sux.

And I fucking hate cell phones...I might even agree with you if you weren't so off putting, seriously go back and read what you wrote.

Don't take everything so seriously, seriously.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:37 pm

You were driving around a hindicapped-van on playa and the best you could gift was chinese baby wipes and bananas?

I fail to believe that you don't have a cellphone in the real world, regardless of what you say, and BTW, to some of us, there isn't a lot of difference between the two worlds.
oneeyeddick

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 am

punapeter wrote:sure am glad I have all you lovely worded folks you set me straight on how I'm supposed to do my burn, evidently I did it wrong, not your way?

punapeter wrote:if your ego won't let you leave your cell at home, YOU are changing the event for the worse.

[snip]

Unplug for a week, kick the habit, you can do it, maybe....

[snip]

BM needs to start over with just the artists and the sculptors, leave the carnival camping moop to those who hit all the "festivals". I can see very clearly what many old timers say about it being mainstream. A big phrat party gone wild. Less contribution more let's party and pretend to be kewl, look at the freaks and take their pictures then go back to their straight world and tell all their friends how they're in the family, yet their only contribution in BRC was their pee on the playa. Cell phones are for selfish people. You aren't that important. If you are stay home with your cell.

Who's telling who how to do their Burn? Evidently if you say something it's valid, but if we call you on your bullshit we're attacking you.

You, my friend, are the one who started throwing the attitude & holier-than-thou remarks. If you can't live with the fact that this is a place where people are going to call you on those remarks than you're in the wrong corner of the internet.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Rilopie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 am

punapeter wrote:sure am glad I have all you lovely worded folks you set me straight on how I'm supposed to do my burn, evidently I did it wrong, not your way?
Considering I flew in from off the continental US and being handicapped had limited ability to bring much. I think I did well.

I don't think the pastries were made in china and the receivers of them were happy. For all your,"we're experienced and you're just a fuckin virgin troll" is so sweet and welcoming, home I'm so enamored.

But none of you drive my bus so your collective attacks reflects heavy on your mob mentality. Not what I do that suits you. I could do a list like whomever did. Like you know I did this that and that, minute by minute.
And as I only discovered BM 30 days before I watched him fall I think I did pretty good. Considering the logistics and my circumstances which none of you judgmental folks who accuse me of being judgmental, have a clue about.

But as you all prefer to focus on how things are said and pick them apart, your quote option is overused, I won't share with you the good things that occurred to me and my friends, or the medical miracle. You'd all just berate it as well I'm sure.

But you are a little entertaining I don't watch TV, so if I don't respond immediately I'm peddling the bike to generate more power for my monitor. :roll: :roll:
And people who love to throw out the 'Troll" roll, usually live under the bridge they accuse everyone of trolling.

And@ Snow, don't wait too long you'll melt. I didn't have them drop to their knees, that was a quenched reaction by them. But I love the way people reread things to suit themselves. I could have spent the whole week passing out china wipes and not one person would have turned it down. Certainly no one turned one down.

I did give 5 gals of water to an RV who was sucking air. And schooled one coke head on the rules of his behavior he may want to reconsider, he did.
I gave people rides and did what I could. Mostly I tried not to be a burden on anyone with my handicaps. I'm pretty able to do that. I was supposed to go in for surgery no go to the desert, Sorry if my gifts weren't up to your standards, those who got them were happy.

whoa sassy pants... it's just the internet.
Rilopie

Postby Theres Always One » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Rilopie wrote:

Exactly.
Theres Always One

Postby punapeter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Rilopie wrote:

whoa sassy pants, you talkin to your horse? whoa?
oh that was your LOVE expressing delight in my pants.
Good eye, but these aren't the sassy one's, would you...NM

It's just the internet on eplaya, but it's more like on the Oakland school yard. The internet jabs touch nothing on me. Being oblivious to the surroundings that you live in because you have internet access is still unbelievable to me.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

Radical self-reliance living in the bay area where you all depend on oil to feed, heat and support you will be remembering back when you wasted time on, It's just the internet.javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

I don't pay for heat, only half for what I eat and if my diesel keeps getting me 43 mpg off guava/biofuel I won't be paying for power to drive anywhere. Like there's anywhere I need to go.
What will you do when Whole Foods is empty?
When there is no internet and you have no cell service you will have to talk to all those people you walk by everyday and don't even say hello or good morning to because you all have cell phones or ipod buds permanently attached.javascript:emoticon(':(')

this will change when you are standing in line for MRE's, bottle water and TP, with out batteries at the local school gym.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

peace, love.......................duck?!javascript:emoticon(':?')
punapeter

Postby Boijoy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:52 pm

javascript:emoticon ( :roll: )

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby punapeter » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm

Boijoy wrote:javascript:emoticon ( :roll: )

wool socks.lol figures

punapeter

Postby Rilopie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:37 am

punapeter wrote:
Rilopie wrote:

whoa sassy pants, you talkin to your horse? whoa?
oh that was your LOVE expressing delight in my pants.
Good eye, but these aren't the sassy one's, would you...NM

It's just the internet on eplaya, but it's more like on the Oakland school yard. The internet jabs touch nothing on me. Being oblivious to the surroundings that you live in because you have internet access is still unbelievable to me.javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

Radical self-reliance living in the bay area where you all depend on oil to feed, heat and support you will be remembering back when you wasted time on, It's just the internet.javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

I don't pay for heat, only half for what I eat and if my diesel keeps getting me 43 mpg off guava/biofuel I won't be paying for power to drive anywhere. Like there's anywhere I need to go.
What will you do when Whole Foods is empty?
When there is no internet and you have no cell service you will have to talk to all those people you walk by everyday and don't even say hello or good morning to because you all have cell phones or ipod buds permanently attached.javascript:emoticon(':(')

this will change when you are standing in line for MRE's, bottle water and TP, with out batteries at the local school gym.javascript:emoticon(':cry:')

peace, love.......................duck?!javascript:emoticon(':?')

...what?
Rilopie

Re: Cell Service in Black Rock City

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:58 pm

if i may redirect this discussion away from the jr. high cafeteria for a second. i'm interested in what people think of Larry Harvey's thoughts on the matter, specifically the principle of immediacy as it relates to cell phone use on the playa. in light of what these guys are doing maybe this can start a more interesting discussion?

listen to it here:

http://soundcloud.com/user464805/immediacy

the rest of Larry's talk on the 10 Principles can be found here:

http://s3.shoutingfire.org/larry/LarryH ... ve2010.mp3

play nice!
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Re: Cell Service in Black Rock City

Postby jkisha » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Jack Rabbit Speaks wrote:THE PAPA LEGBA CELLULAR SITUATION FOR BRC 2011

Note: this is a participate project, undertaken by members of the Papa Legba camp -- read up, it's interesting stuff. David Burgess writes:

"Once again, the geeks at Papa Legba camp will be running an experimental, non-commercial cellular network based on the OpenBTS software (openbts.org). Their network will support on-Playa text messaging and short phone calls. They support short calls to the default world, but will not route inbound calls, so if someone calls you on the Legba network it means that they must be calling you from the Playa.

Once again, Commnet Wireless will probably try to provide normal commercial cellular service under the AT&T and Verizon brands. What will be very different this year is that Papa Legba camp will be running their network in a band that is not normally used for cellular service in the US (the DCS-1800 band). This change in band will prevent user confusion of not knowing from moment to moment which network a phone is using, and it will improve the performance of the Legba network, but it will also require that people who want to use the Legba network use unlocked phones, probably quad-band.

Most cellphones sold in the US are locked and will remain slaves of the commercial network. So if you want to use a free, open, Burner-run, Playa-oriented cellular service, you will need an unlocked phone. (BTW, most phones sold outside the US are not locked and will work with the Papa Legba network as-is.) The details are given here:

http://papalegba2011.wikispaces.com/FAQ

Also, if you are VoIP/telecom software person interesting in developing SMS-, RRLP- or USSD-based interactive services for the Legba network, please contact David Burgess dburgess at jcis dot net with 'Legba' in the subject line."
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Previous

Return to 2010 Theme