Darkwads

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby Boijoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Agreed!! W/ teardropper. The main problem is, buy the time you see a darkwad your ability to avoid a collision is greatly reduced.
Light up feking DarkWads! :roll:
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby mars » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:37 pm

Especially if you're like me and you left your regular glasses at the camp and have to wear prescription sunglasses all night in the dark.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

The Unseen

Postby gyre » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:49 am

If we are going to call the Unseen something, how about unlitiots?
Or unlidiots?
gyre

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been thinking of a name for the people with too much light...or the headlamp to eyes people....

You might have nailed it with Litiots Gyre :)
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Marscrumbs » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Having gotten wacked real good on the open playa my first year as a darkwad I've learned my lesson. Having wacked a few darkwads on the second year I hope they have learned theirs.

Do you really was to become a statsistic?
Play it safe.
Marscrumbs

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 am

It's just a concept, but

http://vimeo.com/14933963
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Colonel Monk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 am

C.f.M. wrote:It's just a concept, but

http://vimeo.com/14933963

I like it.

Mine would say

Light
UP
Facking
Dark
WADS!
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby Tin Halo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:55 am

Some LEO would get one and make it read "Anyone have any hippie cigarettes?"

I'd love to know who the music was in that clip. Drawing straight out of the Bachrach playbook, there.
Tin Halo

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:13 pm

Tin Halo wrote:Some LEO would get one and make it read "Anyone have any hippie cigarettes?"

I'd love to know who the music was in that clip. Drawing straight out of the Bachrach playbook, there.

It's Bacharach all right: "Paper Mache", originally done by Dionne Warwick. Not sure who did this cover, but it's really pretty.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eklypz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm

I bought a bunch of LED bracelet blinkies to help with the darkwad problem. My first couple years, yes, I was a darkwad. I liked being a creature of the night, sidestepping through the darkness muahaha but I learned the error of my ways and the peace of mind of some random idiot not running into your backside and finally come full circle and give away sustainable lighting.

During the beginning of the week I will circle around groups of darkwads and give them educate on why lighting is important in a non-confrontational way but by the weekend, the flux was too strong so just whipped LED blinkies with, "CATCH THAT DARKWAD!", most were caught or soon picked up off the ground. So, be a part of the solution and not just whine and yell at them.

Of course next year, I am hopping on an artboat with my fishing pole and reeling in some big darkwads :D
~o(Eklypz)o~
Eklypz

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Hookahdome

Postby Tin Halo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Eric wrote:
Tin Halo wrote:Some LEO would get one and make it read "Anyone have any hippie cigarettes?"

It's Bacharach all right: "Paper Mache", originally done by Dionne Warwick. Not sure who did this cover, but it's really pretty.

Paper Mache is probably one of the few Bacharach works I've not heard, then. Yeah, this version really does Burt justice.
Again, with the weird timings of things: I've been experimenting with paper mache recipes this week. :shock:
Tin Halo

Postby kman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Eklypz wrote:I bought a bunch of LED bracelet blinkies to help with the darkwad problem. My first couple years, yes, I was a darkwad. I liked being a creature of the night, sidestepping through the darkness muahaha but I learned the error of my ways and the peace of mind of some random idiot not running into your backside and finally come full circle and give away sustainable lighting.

During the beginning of the week I will circle around groups of darkwads and give them educate on why lighting is important in a non-confrontational way but by the weekend, the flux was too strong so just whipped LED blinkies with, "CATCH THAT DARKWAD!", most were caught or soon picked up off the ground. So, be a part of the solution and not just whine and yell at them.

Of course next year, I am hopping on an artboat with my fishing pole and reeling in some big darkwads :D

Local 99 cent store had red blinky bike lights (the kind you usually mount under the bike seat) that ran off two AAA batteries (included, amazingly). Could clip to a belt, a backpack, the hem of your shorts, your hat band, whatever. I gave away 5 this year. Next year I'll be bringing more, that's for sure.
kman

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Some years back, I found a lid that fits on a Nalgene type water bottle, has 3 LEDs under the lid, lights up the bottle. I always have my water, visibility light and JoTS seat-check light all in one.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby kman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:35 pm

The CO wrote:Some years back, I found a lid that fits on a Nalgene type water bottle, has 3 LEDs under the lid, lights up the bottle. I always have my water, visibility light and JoTS seat-check light all in one.

Seen those, look nifty although I haven't actually picked one up yet, for all the times I've held them in my hand. By Guyot Designs, called a FireFlye. Sport Chalet carries them, along with the various online vendors.

http://www.amazon.com/Guyot-Designs-Fir ... B000LGZWJW

I wish they made one that integrates with the Better Bottle lids, as I don't carry Nalgenes at BM since I discovered them. Great for camping, though.
kman

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:56 am

I saw one of those nalgene light lids that is solar....

Kinda dumb id ya ask me.
Fire_Moose

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 am

The CO wrote:Some years back, I found a lid that fits on a Nalgene type water bottle, has 3 LEDs under the lid, lights up the bottle. I always have my water, visibility light and JoTS seat-check light all in one.

That's the "Firefly."

http://boingboing.net/2006/10/25/firefl ... -for-.html

I got one for my bd - took it, but didn't use it. One of our twins had one, too. Attached it to a long rope and swung it around like a meteor.

If I took my Nalgene (that I only have because it came with the light...) out with me, I'd use it. Just a simply way to light up.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 am

and then you can always drop a glow stick into yer nalgene...
Fire_Moose

Postby Elorrum » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:25 am

I have a firefly. Used it this year as last tent light of the night, night drinking water combo. I just love it, though I don't use it thoroughly? I like it as my last light in the shade shelter, sitting, thinking of going to sleep, come on kid, go to bed already light.
Elorrum

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy