Portal Patch closure.... WTF!?!

Do you think it was absolutely ridiculous to shut down the Portal Patch on Burn night??

Yes
6%
No
74%
no opinion
19%

Total votes : 31

Postby robrob » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:13 pm

though many people like to be central.

well, then they can expect a lot more traffic, messier portapotties, and it's probably going to be louder than places a little more out of the way and off the beaten path?
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby Angela » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 pm

"yes, thank you.. that's interesting for sure.

I didn't catch who you are, angela...

one of the rangers or a neighbor with a complaint? just curious who the "we" is you were referring to."

rheos,
Feel free to scroll back to my initial post. I was camped across from them all week, and I am pretty much through with being told how they were only on two nights, weren't all that loud, etc., by someone who apparently only visited them, presumably on one of these two nights. They were going almost 24 hours a day all week, even when no one else was in their camp. We (their neighbors) repeatedly asked them politely to tone it down just a little and were given the finger, all week. By the way, we (my camp - Temple of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) clearly stated in our request for placement that we were planning live music and interactive events. We were only running during daylight. They claimed to only be on at night. Could they keep it down for a couple of hours? Apparently not. None of our planned music events could happen because of the volume of the camp next door. So anyone whining about free expression getting squelched by those mean, nasty rangers and fun-hating burners can basically shove it. But hey, this and more were all in my original response, way back on the first page of this thread, which you've chosen to ignore in favor of pressing your poorly educated point, as in, I understand that you feel very strongly about your friends' or whomever's free expression, but you were not camped across from them and getting a giant asshole attitude all week.
Au revoir,
-Angela
Angela

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:12 am

A gross of cheap camp hatchets as gifts.. Reno better stock up on cables..
unjonharley

Postby rheos » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 pm

I do hope you and your anger stay home 2011.. Maybe you will "get it" when you grow up.

you're hilarious. this is my 11th year and i thought i'd been getting it just fine.. believe it or not this is just a new occurrence for me and as someone who used to organize a theme camp and a general curious cat i am interested in knowing all the facts.

i do know that when i went by there on what i believe was Friday night I know for a fact they were silent so I'm unable to believe they were running 24/7. when someone says one thing i know for a fact not to be true it makes me wonder about the other things they are saying.. a natural progression i think.

i also know that i only saw a line-up posted for a Thursday party and a Saturday Party.. I also heard the Thursday party went well into Friday.. but apart from that i don't know much more apart what i've gathered here.

truly i'm actually not angry at all.. just kinda confused as i'm not someone who has ever considered complaining about a stage there..

sorry if the subject line is misleading in making me seem angry.. i just thought it would get more attention.

cheers
rheos

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:24 am

98dB at what distance?

Sounds like some people here are connected with the ORG. Is there a way to require sound campers to bring sound level meters. Uncalibrated ones are under $100 now, even $15. Online, Radio Shack and Harbor Freight. Might be an education in ear calibration.

People not being able to carry on a conversation outside the borders of a camp not at 2, 10 or on the esplanade is my threshold. That would mean sound under about 65dB at camp borders, maybe include the adjacent street in the borders for generosity. Conversation is my highest Burningman value.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Portal Patch closure.... WTF!?!

Postby revjim » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 pm

More disturbing than the loud music, even when the camp was empty, was the ultra-low bass vibrating the ground. The dry lake bed giggles like jello. After repeated trips to both the Portal Patch and the Rangers, the lesson I take from this is to bring bolt cutters. Anyone camping near the Portal Patch or any other ultra- low bass can borrow it
revjim

Previous

Return to 2010 Theme Camps