Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Postby DJ WRESQ » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 am

I want to address the issues I faced as a large art car owner. First I am sorry if you were denied entrance onto my artcar. It was nothing personal. At the beginning of the week I was informed that police presence had been increased by 300%, a bit of paranoia set in. Then as the week went on and stories began filtering through, like nightvision cameras and armed police pushing through dance floor crowds just to be intimidating, my paranoia increased. Then when a group with a large artcar allowed two beautiful young ladies to enter, and proceeded to party and play for 4 hrs, kissing dancing and using substances, only to return to their camp at dawn, followed seconds later by police and dogs searching and arresting most of their crew, lets just say my paranoia became justified. I am sorry, but I was unable to tell burners from undercovers this year, and instead of putting myself and my closest friends in danger, I chose to keep my doors closed to anyone I did not personally know. Many people who asked to get on were denied, saying mean things and cussing our mothers...I dont care. I felt safe and so did my friends. The absurdly overwhelming police presence has made it so uncomfortable I am actually considering not attending the event next year. To all other artcar owners, watch your ass, to all riders of artcars...blame the assholes with guns for your feet blisters.
DJ WRESQ
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Postby Pink Daddy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 am

As an assistant to the Exploratorium (Colosseum this year), we didn't do anything different because of LEO presence. We only denied rides when it was necessary, due to space and safety concerns.

We were actually boarded by LEOs who didn't 'undercover' very well. But, since we didn't do anything illegal, there wasn't a concern. I can understand your hesitation. The increased LEO presence was a serious problem. From the 60 MPH sprints across playa to respond to minor events, to their constant video monitoring of major dance floors, and the undercover LEOs wandering into EVERY camp I visited.

Also, the BRC Rangers were a pest this year, as well. They seemed to stick their nose into things that really were outside their realm of concern.

Everything seemed to come to a head on Thursday night and I decided to just go to bed. Friday night was better, less law enforcement. Something had to have happened between Thursday evening and Friday evening...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Image
User avatar
Pink Daddy
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby Miles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:32 pm

yeah it was bad.
I feel for you art car peeps, I know I would be paranoid driving one out there too.

thanks for posting this though. I feel like I ran into a bunch of stressed out camp leaders/ drivers/ etc this year and Im sure this was a main cause
User avatar
Miles
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Postby gyre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:25 am

DJ WRESQ wrote:I want to address the issues I faced as a large art car owner. First I am sorry if you were denied entrance onto my artcar. It was nothing personal. At the beginning of the week I was informed that police presence had been increased by 300%, a bit of paranoia set in. Then as the week went on and stories began filtering through, like nightvision cameras and armed police pushing through dance floor crowds just to be intimidating, my paranoia increased. Then when a group with a large artcar allowed two beautiful young ladies to enter, and proceeded to party and play for 4 hrs, kissing dancing and using substances, only to return to their camp at dawn, followed seconds later by police and dogs searching and arresting most of their crew, lets just say my paranoia became justified. I am sorry, but I was unable to tell burners from undercovers this year, and instead of putting myself and my closest friends in danger, I chose to keep my doors closed to anyone I did not personally know. Many people who asked to get on were denied, saying mean things and cussing our mothers...I dont care. I felt safe and so did my friends. The absurdly overwhelming police presence has made it so uncomfortable I am actually considering not attending the event next year. To all other artcar owners, watch your ass, to all riders of artcars...blame the assholes with guns for your feet blisters.

Why do you think you couldn't tell the difference this year?

What kind of artcar did you bring?
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Postby pbmaniac2000 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 am

I'm head of security for the Purple Palace which is the largest art car on the playa. Every year, I have to turn away hundreds of people from our front door. The Palace is definitely big, its just not that big!! I wish people could be a bit more understanding about that one.

In regards to police presence we didn't really change anything at all this year. We were never boarded by leo to my knowledge. Now we do only have 1 entrance to the palace which always has atleast a couple people standing there letting people on. So it may deter undercovers from coming on board. We are constantly one the move too. We have a "special" area that all of our camp mates hang out in too. If we don't know you personally you are not getting up there. That probably helps our situation out as well.

I'm feel so sorry for any art cars that were harassed by the leo this year. They were EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

-Pluto
pbmaniac2000
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

response to gyre

Postby DJ WRESQ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:42 am

I saw 2 definite leo's and they both had tattoos and plugs and great burner garb. It seems they have done their research. This year I had a staircase we lowered down from 7 feet off the ground. No ladder, no entrance. To my knowledge ladders are not standard issue for law enforcement.
DJ WRESQ
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Postby jpk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 am

i was denied from that biggest ship on the playa :( really wanted to get on that ship
jpk
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:44 am

Postby unjonharley » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:52 pm

Here we go, You bunch of pantywaist whiners.. The law wont let you do your drugs and fuck up in general.. There go's your big ass Art Car.. The people on it are so stoned they just stand with a unseeing stare.. Not moving the the music..

Now which Car is the law going to board??

Your going to stay home cuz the police fuck with you, GOOD!!! Pick up your pipe and fuck with the local law..

Only cops that looked my way, Waved and went on to find your sorry whinny ass..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8791
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby gaminwench » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:02 pm

We have a medium sized Mutant Vehicle, carries 22 max. Frequently, the car stops at an installation and everyone exits to explore; while the car is sitting, folks will ask to get on... when told that the car is full (just awaiting the riders' return), people will cuss out the doorman. The folks on the car are random burners, not 'private campmates', and their stuff is on the car, they're expecting to get back on, with their stuff, and continue their ride.
Our doorman's job is to keep us at the limit, account for the riders, and to keep asshats from boarding/exiting while we're moving.

There are MANY reasons, legitimate ones, for a doorman denying entrance to a Mutant Vehicle... your self-entitlement does NOT guarantee a ride...
User avatar
gaminwench
 
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:57 am
Location: Shangri-la
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Thank You!!

Postby TryptaNim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 pm

pbmaniac2000 wrote:I'm head of security for the Purple Palace which is the largest art car on the playa. Every year, I have to turn away hundreds of people from our front door. The Palace is definitely big, its just not that big!! I wish people could be a bit more understanding about that one.

In regards to police presence we didn't really change anything at all this year. We were never boarded by leo to my knowledge. Now we do only have 1 entrance to the palace which always has atleast a couple people standing there letting people on. So it may deter undercovers from coming on board. We are constantly one the move too. We have a "special" area that all of our camp mates hang out in too. If we don't know you personally you are not getting up there. That probably helps our situation out as well.

I'm feel so sorry for any art cars that were harassed by the leo this year. They were EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!


This was my first burn, and The Purple Palace was the first car I got on. I had such an amazing time and just wanted to thank you all for your warm welcome. I was wearing a color changing aduki bean around my neck....It took me a while to be able to get on w/ my friends, but it was well worth the wait.

Reading these posts, I can see why some people were hesitant to let Birgins on, and I certainly can't blame them. I'd heard about the strong LE presence, but had no idea they were tracking art cars! I was camping w/ Lawyers 4 Burners, and heard my fair share of playa citizens stories of LE getting out of control. If you were harassed or mistreated in anyway make sure to get in touch with Lawyers For Burners!

-Pluto
Waiting until I can think of a good 1...
TryptaNim
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: La La Land

Postby Token » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Well now, DJ Whateverthefuck, next year don't build a rave on wheels and the narcs won't be looking up your ass for the Extassy enema.

It's really that simple.

Time for the :



Image
User avatar
Token
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Location: Gold Country, CA
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:25 pm

I wasn't there this year, but I've been a medium-size "artcar" operator for several years, and I can verify about everything said by the others so far.
I get people all pissed off because I won't let them on when they can see physical space available... but I can only take so much WEIGHT.
And then there's the person that asks for a ride, then when I stop he yells "Hey guys! I got us a ride!" and his 10 friends all come running up, and are pissed when I won't take them all.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I wasn't there this year, but I've been a medium-size "artcar" operator for several years, and I can verify about everything said by the others so far.
I get people all pissed off because I won't let them on when they can see physical space available... but I can only take so much WEIGHT.
And then there's the person that asks for a ride, then when I stop he yells "Hey guys! I got us a ride!" and his 10 friends all come running up, and are pissed when I won't take them all.


You going to bring that ugly boat and your ugly self next year.. I need a good laugh.. The tractor worked good. sept I let the belt get twisted.. It ate up fast..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8791
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:03 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote: ... and his 10 friends all come running up, and are pissed when I won't take them all.


Must resist urge ...
User avatar
Token
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:55 pm
Location: Gold Country, CA
Burning Since: 2001

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Token wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote: ... and his 10 friends all come running up, and are pissed when I won't take them all.


Must resist urge ...


now now, bukake boy.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25989
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 am

unjonharley wrote:Not moving to the music.

Yes, this is what Mr. Leo is looking for. Dance, damn you, dance!!!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16319
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby spectabillis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:07 am

unjonharley wrote:.. bunch of pantywaist whiners.. The law wont let you do your drugs and fuck up in general.. .. people on it are so stoned .. going to stay home cuz the police fuck with you, GOOD!!! Pick up your pipe and fuck with the local law..


i would commend you, again, on your considerate and civil posts over police topics.. but it seems sarcasm has since been lost as you continue over the years.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby Buckaroo_Benzai » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Some friends and I (plus several other people around us) tried to get on the big yacht... I can't remember what night, maybe Wednesday... and were told it was a "private party". That didn't seem in the spirit of Burning Man to us, but whatever.
Buckaroo_Benzai
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Postby robrob » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:24 pm

DJ WRESQ wrote:At the beginning of the week I was informed that police presence had been increased by 300%, a bit of paranoia set in.



same amount of cops, same amount of citations and arrests as last year
http://www.rgj.com/article/20100918/EVENTS04/100918009

you can make a lot of excuses for being exclusionary with your MV, and you can blame LE for lots of stuff, but mashing them up seems kinda retarded, IMO.
User avatar
robrob
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: chicago, il
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Re: Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Postby LostinReno » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:57 pm

robrob wrote:
DJ WRESQ wrote:At the beginning of the week I was informed that police presence had been increased by 300%, a bit of paranoia set in.



same amount of cops, same amount of citations and arrests as last year
http://www.rgj.com/article/20100918/EVENTS04/100918009

you can make a lot of excuses for being exclusionary with your MV, and you can blame LE for lots of stuff, but mashing them up seems kinda retarded, IMO.


hrmmmm one less arrest this year over last and we had at least 8K more people, apparently all 8 people hang out on eplaya! :lol:
User avatar
LostinReno
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 pm
Location: 4:30 & G
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:34 pm

LostinReno wrote:hrmmmm one less arrest this year over last and we had at least 8K more people, apparently all 8 [s]people[/s] [of the perps' lawyers] hang out on eplaya!


Fixed.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Did you get denied entrance to an ARTCAR this year?

Postby spectabillis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:40 pm

robrob wrote:..but mashing them up seems kinda retarded, IMO.


probably not the best to call other people retarded when only relying on blm numbers to make your point - there are at least two other major leo groups with a presence.
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:32 pm

Anyone who bitches about all the cops at BM, who is a drug user, needs to remember that we brought it upon ourselves for having an event so widely known as a drug-fest.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
User avatar
Captain Goddammit
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:34 am
Location: Seattle, WA
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby spectabillis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:18 pm

i usually lean towards that perception growing with the soundcamps. and its true enough, but equally true to various city leo groups that occasionally target underground club scenes.

guess its time to blame all those bad apples again? that would be... hmmm... lets see, what % of people have been ingesting narcotics at bman?
spectabillis
 
Posts: 3530
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am
Location: parallel cortex sensory stream interface

Postby jerroc » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:49 pm

Post like this make me want to beat my head aginst the wall. Over and over and over. Why would someone let people get high for 4 hours on their MV... I say let the Leo put on the rubber gloves and teach him a fucking lesson. This should not cause other MV owner refuse rides but instead be aware of the fuckbags they let on. And for the people who got refused rides and are upset... Good maybe next year you won't expect shit to be gifted to you.
jerroc
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 am
Location: Oregon

Postby robrob » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:50 am

And for the people who got refused rides and are upset... Good maybe next year you won't expect shit to be gifted to you.


just to be clear, even though i was kinda snarky, in another recap post that touched on MVs, i recall stating that if you feel an MV should have X policy, then you should go make an MV and implement it.

Personally, i do think some of the MV crews were pretty cheesy, but it's their fucking right to have whatever criteria they want to have- it's expensive, logistically challenging, and inconvenient to get an MV out there and operate it within the BRC and Nevada laws. By god they have every right to decide what kind of vibe and passenger they want on their car. only costumes, only hot chicks, only old school burner buddies you want to recconect with this year- whatever, it's all good- and it's your call. It just seems like a shame to let paranoia and fear dictate your policies.

If you honestly think you're being persecuted by LEO so much that you have to offer a blanket justifcation for your actions on the officially sanctioned public msg board after the burn, then maybe you should reconsider your commitment to having a large format MV at burning man?



ps- as pretty much 100% of the bellyaching police threads on eplaya indicate, pretty much everyone that got busted invited it somehow.

It doesn't take encyclopedia brown to figure out that the guy that does his bumps discreetly at camp with close friends will be ok, and the bass thumping art car covered in naked bitches openly doing drugs all over the playa might be a little bit more conspicuous....
User avatar
robrob
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm
Location: chicago, il
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby SilverOrange » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:29 am

Buckaroo_Benzai wrote:Some friends and I (plus several other people around us) tried to get on the big yacht... I can't remember what night, maybe Wednesday... and were told it was a "private party". That didn't seem in the spirit of Burning Man to us, but whatever.


Yeah. The "private party" was a gift to the people that helped with funding so they could bring the project out to the playa to begin with. Seems pretty reasonable to me.
User avatar
SilverOrange
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:38 pm
Location: Chelsea

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:53 am

I didn't ride on any artcars this year. But I wasn't thinking about it like in years past when I didn't ride on any artcars and was bummed. I happily viewed and admired them. no big deal.
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby Buckaroo_Benzai » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:29 am

SilverOrange wrote:
Buckaroo_Benzai wrote:Some friends and I (plus several other people around us) tried to get on the big yacht... I can't remember what night, maybe Wednesday... and were told it was a "private party". That didn't seem in the spirit of Burning Man to us, but whatever.


Yeah. The "private party" was a gift to the people that helped with funding so they could bring the project out to the playa to begin with. Seems pretty reasonable to me.


We didn't really care, we just thought it was weird. What if everybody did that? Sure would make BM an... interesting... experience. Most people there contribute to something... I thought the philosophy was to share, not to exclude. I can't imagine the camp I was with not allowing people on our art car... that's the point, get on it!... in fact, our driver had a rule that we couldn't get on the art car unless it was more than 2 blocks away from camp, specifically so other people had a chance to ride.
Buckaroo_Benzai
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Postby gunsmith » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:30 pm

people thought I was a cop, all the time, really annoying.
I'm over 30, can't dance unless I'm moshing to a band that doesn't suck ... like the DK's circa 1984 or a good ska band but that doesn't mean I do not appreciate dance music.
I also do not have any piercings and short hair, so I guess I look sorta like a cop.

The best thing to do is send a beautiful young women over to whomever you suspect is a cop and have her offer the suspected undercover, sex, this way she can do a thorough search and make sure he doesn't have a badge and cop's are not allowed to have sex on duty and would refuse anyway due to peer pressure.

I will be near the speakers at nexus, stage left and I consent to a thorough search and sex ( with a beautiful young woman ) to make sure I'm not a narc.
I may not be here now but I was there then
gunsmith
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:55 am

Next

Return to 2010 Art & Performance

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests