Jhooks from Deerbusters - beware you may get ripped off!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:38 am

Isotopia wrote:This thread amuses me for no specific reason other than it conjures up the words 'perspective' and 'relative.'

Keep in mind that today ~30,000 children under the age of six died in this world today.

Where's your outrage now?

Those are all probably children that shouldn't have been born in the first place.

JK
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sail Man » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:55 am

mdmf007 wrote:For 80 bucks this seems like a lot of drama.

Especially when you can get the drama and intrigue of Shakespeare for less :lol:

The Merchant of Venice with ticket prices ranging from 20-78$
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:01 pm

jkisha wrote:
Isotopia wrote:This thread amuses me for no specific reason other than it conjures up the words 'perspective' and 'relative.'

Keep in mind that today ~30,000 children under the age of six died in this world today.

Those are all probably children that shouldn't have been born in the first place.

Ouch!

Granted we live in an overpopulated world. Granted the poor have a high birth rate. I don't know that Social Darwinism is an answer to anything.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby cahlm » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:25 pm

I ordered J-hooks from Deerbusters.com and received them extremely quick. Smooth transaction. I like 'em.

Just sayin.
cahlm

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:13 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Ouch!

Granted we live in an overpopulated world. Granted the poor have a high birth rate. I don't know that Social Darwinism is an answer to anything.

So answer this question--Why is it that nobody hesitates to apply biological science to controlling the breeding and improving the quality/quantity of just about every other plant or animal, yet we are hesitant to apply the same science to improve our own species? Logically, it just doesn't make sense.

JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:59 pm

"just about every other plant or animal" is a huge amount of hyperbole. A few dozen, at best, domesticated animals and maybe a few hundred plants. Millions, millions of other species. And we aren't really improving their "quality," just making them more useful to us.
But that's neither here nor there. We'd never even be able to agree on what an "improvement" would be. And we don't have the sort of power over each others life choices that would make it possible to domesticate us.
What you seem to be implying is that we should somehow stop impoverished "third world" residents from having children, I'm assuming by force. Can of worms.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:26 pm

you'd not have to "stop" third world people from having children , "by force", not really.

I think, JK implies, they'd not/shouldn't be born, because, their parents can't feed them, without outside support.

I'd wonder, how world population would change, if at all, if, the industrialized world stopped feeding those who can't feed themselves?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:36 pm

You may not have noticed, but we don't actually feed them. Some of them, some of the time, perhaps.
It is typical for people who live in countries where life is cheap to have many children, because many, perhaps most will die, but some are almost certain to live and take care of parents when they grow up.
We want them to stop breeding? Educate girls, provide opportunities for women to earn money, provide good birth control.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:07 pm

There are many possible approaches to the problem and I agree with you both...education is extremely important, so is birth control.

The problem I have with most 'humanitarian' solutions is that they are religion based and they seem to feed them and encourage them to breed to add numbers to the flock.

And yes, my statement might be slightly hyperbolic, and actually my original statement was a bit blunt--but consider to whom it was originally intended and his original remark; but fear and religious belief are still the biggest deterrent to 'helping' poor and under developed countries and people. Usually only one part of the equation is offered thus never really solving the problem. And people are afraid of science--even in this country. So many problems with tainted meat and vegetables could easily (and safely) be prevented with irradiation, yet it is being rejected as a solution because unfounded fear. There are many examples of this.

And talk about population explosion in this country, and what parts of the country are leading the explosion--and you wonder where the tea baggers and right wing nuts come from.

I could go on, but I'm already afraid I'm going to be asked for cites. :)

JK

OH, and Fishy, where were you this year!?!? I missed you at the eplaya meet-n-greet. :(:(:(

JK
jkisha

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:17 pm

jkisha wrote:There are many possible approaches to the problem and I agree with you both...education is extremely important, so is birth control.

The problem I have with most 'humanitarian' solutions is that they are religion based and they seem to feed them and encourage them to breed to add numbers to the flock.

And yes, my statement might be slightly hyperbolic, and actually my original statement was a bit blunt--but consider to whom it was originally intended and his original remark; but fear and religious belief are still the biggest deterrent to 'helping' poor and under developed countries and people. Usually only one part of the equation is offered thus never really solving the problem. And people are afraid of science--even in this country. So many problems with tainted meat and vegetables could easily (and safely) be prevented with irradiation, yet it is being rejected as a solution because unfounded fear. There are many examples of this.

And talk about population explosion in this country, and what parts of the country are leading the explosion--and you wonder where the tea baggers and right wing nuts come from.

I could go on, but I'm already afraid I'm going to be asked for cites. :)

JK

OH, and Fishy, where were you this year!?!? I missed you at the eplaya meet-n-greet. :(:(:(

JK

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby ygmir » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:You may not have noticed, but we don't actually feed them. Some of them, some of the time, perhaps.
It is typical for people who live in countries where life is cheap to have many children, because many, perhaps most will die, but some are almost certain to live and take care of parents when they grow up.
We want them to stop breeding? Educate girls, provide opportunities for women to earn money, provide good birth control.

well, I suppose that got by me.........seems I read all the time, about food shipments to the third world.
Water facilities.
medical help.
infrastructure....
education

etc.

I'm not, at all, saying it shouldn't happen, by the way.

I was merely, posing the query, regarding the consequences of withdrawal, of same.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:23 pm

LOLOLOL. I was just thinking when viewing a picture you posted in another thread of a soldier carrying 'daMule" about what a knack you have for finding 'just the right' pic; then I come back to this thread and well, just had to comment/compliment you.

JK
jkisha

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:50 am

jkisha wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:

Ouch!

So answer this question--Why is it that nobody hesitates to apply biological science to controlling the breeding and improving the quality/quantity of just about every other plant or animal, yet we are hesitant to apply the same science to improve our own species? Logically, it just doesn't make sense.

JK

its one of those natural laws that allow people to make poor decisions and pop out more mouths when they cant put food in the mouths that are already there.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby MistressSybs » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:14 am

All you naysayers and second guessers... The guy didn't even file for insurance until I made a stink... end result I got my money back from the insurance I PAID FOR with the shipping charge! SO boooyaaaaa!
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

Good for you. I have a couple you could follow-up on. If you manage to collect, you can keep all the money!

JK
jkisha

Postby MistressSybs » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:42 am

jkisha wrote:Good for you. I have a couple you could follow-up on. If you manage to collect, you can keep all the money!

JK

nah... I'm going to give you the advice you gave me... just give up on ever seeing your money again... it's hopeless... ;-)

MistressSybs

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:42 pm

MistressSybs wrote:
jkisha wrote:Good for you. I have a couple you could follow-up on. If you manage to collect, you can keep all the money!

JK

nah... I'm going to give you the advice you gave me... just give up on ever seeing your money again... it's hopeless... ;-)

Thanks, I'll take that advice.

My time is worth more than the money or the aggravation.

JK
jkisha

Postby MistressSybs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 am

most of my aggravation happened right here with all the um help and unasked for advice my fellow burners gave when I posted about my experiences with this company.

all in all, with the company it was about 5 or 6 short emails that netted the exact result they should have.... REFUND for items NOT received! all in total maybe 30-45 minutes...

Oh well. I've learned my lesson - not sharing information here anymore - you guys know it all and let's face it don't need it. So you guys keep doing what you're doing... keep giving away money... it grows on treeeeess! LOL

MistressSybs

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping