Mega camps not returning next year?

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Eric wrote:
sktELEMENT wrote:You gotta at least hand it to Root for seriously changing up their venue...those massive screens that they set up as an outdoor venue was pretty sick...shit man, it seemed like they were 3 camps in one..

That wasn't Root Society, that was Nexus- they've been trying to get that corner for something like 5 years, and their camp with its dome, outdoor screens, pyrosphere & playground completely "brought it". Neither RS or Opulent Temple got the corner spots this year.

Though your statement proves the music is entirely interchangeable since you couldn't tell it was a completely different camp....

root DID have the big outdoor screens right to the side of the big dome on 10 and B. Crystal Method was supposed to or DID play there...not sure.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby gaminwench » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:14 pm

It seems that rockstarlibrarian is focussed on DJ stuff... she pulls all of that info together as a service to the community...

Someone (me?) should do the same for the live music; since it's hard to hear over the thumpa, knowing in advance where to find actual musicians is really helpful...

I'll start going through this year's camps for info... I know about Sacred Spaces, Transmorphagon, Jazz Cafe, Lost Penguin, DOTA... pm with more if you've got 'em...

Also would help to know/contact playa bands & players... Mutaytor, Gamelan X, Titanium Sporkestra, Antioquia, GravyBrain, Rob, CelloBoy,... to get their schedules as well... again, pm with any info from this year & I'll start compiling for next year...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby The Chinese » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:09 pm

We weer listed in Rockstar Librarians' list... but we are 50% Band & 50% DJ, so maybe that's why..,.

Gaminwench, That woudl be awesome... I didn't know you guys had a Live music space at DTA... Cool.

Chino
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:36 pm

gaminwench wrote:I'll start going through this year's camps for info... I know about Sacred Spaces, Transmorphagon, Jazz Cafe, Lost Penguin, DOTA... pm with more if you've got 'em...

Burners Without Borders has a live stage as well- Mutaytor played there on (Thursday??). Not the full Mutaytor Show, but a stripped down version.

They had some great musicians early in the week, but, damn, their line-up was crap by the end of the week.

Great neighbors, however.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby mars » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:33 am

junglesmacks wrote:
bluesbob wrote:This was my first year, so I'm no "expert" on anything. My only reaction to mega-camps not returning is an observation. Everyone who came back to our camp with tales of trouble on the playa, from theft, dosed, fights, injuries, or cops, came back from a mega-camp.

I think it's actually a blessing. Let the mega-camps be magnets for that stuff, and leave the rest of the playa in peace. That way all that crap is in one concentrated place getting all the attention, sucking all the LEO and negativity resources and leaving the rest of it that much more free of it.. :wink:

Okay, then, perhaps we need a fake large sound camp to provide the service of being a cop magnet. We can take shifts there...only people with no drugs whatsoever on them...we each take a night and go there and dance, even if we hate the music, just so we can keep the LEO's coming there and make everywhere else a little bit safer.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.
mars

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

For all those snorkeling the BM wave without an O2 tank ...

Back in the days before the trash fence, LSA was two miles downwind and a big trek from the main camp.

There is historical precedent for The Honeypot Project.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Crystal Method was there. I was astonished at how abjectly mediocre and not danceable they were.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:49 pm

... Raver Hippie. ...

Token

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Token wrote:.

... Raver Hippie. ...

*ahem*

It was a Deathguild member who wanted to go, not me! If it helps, I borrowed a bottle of vodka off a large camp's bar, and shoved a raver off when he tried to get menacing. Shoved him right off.
C.f.M.

Postby gaminwench » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:58 pm

continuing Token's tale...
when the LSA was 2 miles away, folks would camp between BM and Rave party on the open playa. After folks died cuz they were run over in their tent by a vehicle going from one party to the other, BMORG invited the Raver party inside the new perimeter fence...
that's the story I've been told...
gaminwench

Postby Tin Halo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

... Raver Hippie. ...

... Photoshopped Amish. ...

:D
Tin Halo

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:07 pm

C.f.M. wrote:

... Raver Hippie. ...

*ahem*

It was a Deathguild member who wanted to go, not me! If it helps, I borrowed a bottle of vodka off a large camp's bar, and shoved a raver off when he tried to get menacing. Shoved him right off.

*smooches*

You went Deathguild and still didn't get laid? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Who the fuck was it?
Token

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:10 pm

gaminwench wrote:continuing Token's tale...
when the LSA was 2 miles away, folks would camp between BM and Rave party on the open playa. After folks died cuz they were run over in their tent by a vehicle going from one party to the other, BMORG invited the Raver party inside the new perimeter fence...
that's the story I've been told...

Dumb ass ravers camping in the middle of the road ...

To soon?
Token

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:14 pm

C.f.M. wrote:

... Raver Hippie. ...

*ahem*

See that, you should've been doing the time warp with me.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Gravybrain » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Gravybrain brought live music to the playa for our 3rd year. There were quite a few other live bands playing some of the same places we played (Mystikal Misfits, The Dept of Tethered Aviation, Booby Bar, Center Camp Cafe). We played in our own camp a few times near the corner of 7:30 and Athens (across from Brave New Melon Camp, we had the 3 story tower) but even cranked up you could not hear our band just a little ways down the street with all the other sound systems going. I think that live music will continue to grow and hopefully more live music stages like Transmorphogon (who had the sickest live sound) will appear. We are still cleaning up our music gear! Gravybrain's goal is to return in 2011 with live music again, wish us luck! In the mean time see you at SF Decomp 10/10/10!
Gravybrain

Postby Trishntek » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:03 pm

We played classic R&R whenever we could hear it in our own camp! The Gypsy Ghetto bus across the street had a nasty habit of staying in camp and crankin' it out to the whole neighborhood. Early in the week, they were going beyond 3AM. I had the impression camps were limited in volume. What about an MV that stays in camp and invades everybody's auricular appendages with megawatts of an admittedly large variety of music? I think the Rangers gave 'em due grief toward mid-week.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby gaminwench » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:15 pm

MV's are *supposed* to turn off sound when approaching Art installations, or when entering the city...
gaminwench

Postby robrob » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:20 pm

I think it's actually a blessing. Let the mega-camps be magnets for that stuff, and leave the rest of the playa in peace. That way all that crap is in one concentrated place getting all the attention, sucking all the LEO and negativity resources and leaving the rest of it that much more free of it..

like a lightning rod, but for bullshit and retards instead of lightning!
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

virgin observation

Postby John Noggin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:13 pm

It was my first year in BRC. I was camped with some more veteran burners at 9:45 and Athens.

It was AWESOME there. Every morning I could go play on the gigantic jungle gym at Nexus. If everyone was passed out at 4am I could just walk over to Root Society and meet some new friends. The music was horrible, but you could dance to it.

It would kinda suck not to have those mega camps so close by, but a lot of other Middle Camps (I dunno what else to call them) will probably expand and become the new Mega Camps. Just my assumption.

It was kinda lame being across the street from camp (?). Brostep all the time does get really old really fast, but we had fun making signs and protesting them and their Neo Hippy/Raver/Chadish music. They had a good laugh at our signs too.

I'll stfu now.

"I'll tolerate your hobbies if you tolerate mine." -[i]The Guns and Dope Party[/i]
Born to kill, Live to die. -U.S.S. Vigilante

I'll tolerate your hobbies if you'll tolerate mine. -Guns and Dope Party
John Noggin

Postby Teo del Fuego » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 am

hat's off to Root Society and Opulent Temple, but it is time for them to go or morph into something we haven't seen and heard for the past six years running.

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of good music out on the playa. Seems folks are finally starting to burn out on the dub step and super whomp shit that works, sorta, only when you're tripping.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:49 am

gaminwench wrote:MV's are *supposed* to turn off sound when approaching Art installations, or when entering the city...

:shock:

Really? I would love to hand out citations for that one year.
C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:50 am

Token wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

... Raver Hippie. ...

*ahem*

*smooches*

You went Deathguild and still didn't get laid? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?! Who the fuck was it?

Will you fight him?
C.f.M.

Postby Token » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:41 am

Sure. Gotta be first night though, before the bad elbow sets in.

If it's Cole, we already have a date for the dome. We both broke before we were going to fight.
Token

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:52 am

Token wrote:Sure. Gotta be first night though, before the bad elbow sets in.

If it's Cole, we already have a date for the dome. We both broke before we were going to fight.

Excuses, excuses. Please pretned to fight over me! That'd be hilarious. The victor gets to unchain me from the corner and carry me out over his shoulder.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwPwSAOoFtQ[/youtube]
C.f.M.

Postby Token » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:33 am

WAIT! Your not Cole's ex, are you?

No shoulder, caveman style by the hair, kicking and screaming. :)
Token

2pm and Esplande 2011

Postby centerofgravity » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Mega Techno Blastoid Camp!!!

centerofgravity

Postby Parasitoid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 pm

[quote="gaminwench"]MV's are *supposed* to turn off sound when approaching Art installations, or when entering the city...[/quote]

I'm sure glad they don't... That would be incredibly lame.
Parasitoid

Postby bluesbob » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:25 pm

I hope everyone comes back next year...then we can complain some more.
bluesbob

Camp Name: AV

Postby Yobi Bear » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:57 pm

[quote="Pink Daddy"]I think that more live musical performances would be a great hit, especially if they had the psychadelic feel of Pink Floyd or Peter Frampton.

Also, I came to appreciate the smaller venues this year. Not only for musical content, but for the smaller dance floor and more intimate feeling. The big stages were just cop magnets...[/quote]

I would HAVE to agree. Cops hanging around those locations definately dampened the feel. I mean I was sober the whole time I was at Opulent Temple, but I was HIGH On LIFE!!! I just couln't stop spinning my Yo=Be frisbee! It was good that they were located on the fringes of the overall encampment...
Don't return to default in the Default World.

Yobi
Yobi Bear

Postby imperatrixi » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 pm

I would be really happy and excited to have live and danceable music at a large scale venue on the playa. I'm in Australia and I'd love to convince some of our live gypsy punk bands to come. Their music is passionate, raucous, soulful and very danceable. I can work up the same kind of frenetic dance euphoria as with dub step but it's live and real, and connecting with the musicians as they play is awesome.

Gogol Bordello are US based, getting them to come and play would blow my mind. They play fast and feisty gypsy punk in case you haven't heard them. I'm sure there are lots of great live and electronic fusion groups who would hit the spot. We have to get them to come!
imperatrixi

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Theme Camps