Art Intallation at BM10: "Ein Hammer" by Jellyfish

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:00 pm

The art piece was a blast. (Pun, I know)

I hopped in line and shot right to the front, because I was solo. Me and the other two random guys hit the mark on the first try. I started hooting and hollering, dancing around. The announcer was like, "He looks like he just won the world series!". I was slapping people's hands as I was running out of the arena. Great fun!
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:09 pm

I hope so!!! I didn't get a chance to see it in BRC (which is one of 3 things I specifically wanted to see this year :-( . . . ) - I know he can't run it in SF (no fire allowed) damnit, but hopefully one of the others???
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I was privileged because Ein Hammer was located in the inner playa almost directly in front of Fandango. I got to watch you in action every night, and hear the cried of "eins, zwei, drei" echo over to our bar.

Beautifully done. Probably my favorite piece this year.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby buckycat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Ein Hammer, you guys rocked it. The pyrotechnics alone were kickass. The performance schtick took it to another level. Tschuss!
buckycat

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Crypto. We hope to bring a couple of the components to the Reno decom (October 9th?), but no flame effects will ensue. Hope to see you there.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby masho » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:46 pm

buckycat wrote:Ein Hammer, you guys rocked it. The pyrotechnics alone were kickass. The performance schtick took it to another level. Tschuss!

Couldn't have said it better. Well done. Zum Wohl!
masho

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:11 pm

I loved the whole power to the playa subplot with kvon and his mentor and soil sampling etc. That added a whole 'nother level to the deal, a special feature for eplaya. It was so beautiful and riotous and what fun theater. A huge huge element of my burn this year. Thank you.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby kman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks so much for one of the most spectacular sights to grace the playa. Ein Hammer was a rollicking good time... I almost wish we had muffed the timing once or twice so we could have been out there a few moments longer!

Mr. Jellyfish, if you shoot me some contact info I have a few photos and videos that you are welcome to grab... nothing earth-shakingly amazing, but since the site says you're collecting stuff...
kman

Thank you Jelly Fish Labs!

Postby TryptaNim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:20 pm

:D
Ein Hammer was amazing! Thank you so much for creating such an amazing piece of art for us all to enjoy! I can't wait to see what you all come up with next year! Any plans of exhibiting it anywhere else?
Waiting until I can think of a good 1...
TryptaNim

Postby Homiesinheaven » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:27 pm

congrats Mister Jellyfish! Ein Hammer was by far the most fun art piece i encountered this year. every time i walked by the lady that ran it was totally on, what a fantastic presenter! the music and dancers in lederhosen really added to the whole experience. it was such a relief from all the horrible dubstep this year and the first time i naturally felt like doing a silly dance and celebrating. a million bravos to you and your team!
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Token » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I fucking hated it! There was no Kvon, no core samples just a pagan Nordic fucking herring, and not well smoked or pickled.

AND WHERE WAS THE FUCKING MENTOR!

I so wanted her to punish me ...
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 am

Bwahaha! Thanks, you guys. I had a dream last night that it was Wednesday on the playa and my crew was reminding me that we needed to install a shade structure for Ein Hammer and I was protesting, saying, "Aren't we done building this monstrosity YET?". It was fun running it like a "show" at night and it certainly took a lot of on-going energy from the cast and crew.

On Monday night after the event, I was standing at the glorious Bliss Dance sculpture, admiring the detail and muscle tone with some friends when a gent approached and offered us sticker gifts from the project. He identified himself as the production manager for the project so I asked if his was a busy week. "Heck no" He said. "During the event all I have to do is come here and turn on the lights". I was one jealous bastard.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:46 am

Token wrote:I fucking hated it! There was no Kvon, no core samples just a pagan Nordic fucking herring, and not well smoked or pickled.

hey now...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:08 am

Hottest hunchback ever.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Token » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:44 am

ygmir wrote:
Token wrote:I fucking hated it! There was no Kvon, no core samples just a pagan Nordic fucking herring, and not well smoked or pickled.

hey now...............

I guess you can punish me but you must wear some classy 40s high heals, a garter and sexy stockings. ;)
Token

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:On Monday night after the event, I was standing at the glorious Bliss Dance sculpture, admiring the detail and muscle tone with some friends when a gent approached and offered us sticker gifts from the project. He identified himself as the production manager for the project so I asked if his was a busy week. "Heck no" He said. "During the event all I have to do is come here and turn on the lights". I was one jealous bastard.

I'm not sure about that, Jellyfish. From the reports you did have fun at your performances.
(and I'm still fucking angry that I had to miss it.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby JanSolo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:06 am

I admit - I think I fell in love with one of the girls in lederhosen. The girl with the short blond hair was yet another good reason to stick around and watch your amazing flaming hammer.

Great art and a beautiful woman - what's not to appreciate?
JanSolo

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:07 am

Token wrote:
ygmir wrote:

hey now...............

I guess you can punish me but you must wear some classy 40s high heals, a garter and sexy stockings. ;)

Or as I call them, "pajamas."
C.f.M.

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:54 am

Token wrote:
ygmir wrote:

hey now...............

*putting french maid outfit and zorro mask away*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby caveatlector » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 am

FYI Ein Hammer was absolutely a highlight for me. Your shtick was gods-damn inspiring.

Quite a standard you've set there, sir.
caveatlector

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:33 am

caveatlector wrote:Quite a standard you've set there, sir.

AFAICT he regularly surpasses himself.

I'm pretty peeved I missed it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:36 am

Yeah. Anybody got pics or video of the Fluffer?
C.f.M.

Postby googbox » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:39 am

I loved loved loved Ein Hammer. The beauty, the interaction, the performance. I stopped by almost every night to tease and play with the strudel girls. Even though I personally didn't work on the project, I saw it grow and heard stories about it all summer long from so many friends who did work on it. When I saw it on the playa, it surpassed all my expectations. I felt a sense of pride like somebody might feel if somebody from their hometown won an Olympic gold medal or something.

Amazing Mr. Jellyfish! Thank you so much for bringing your vision to life so explosively!
googbox

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks, friends. I remember standing on that little stage and looking up at the thing all ablaze and thinking "This really isn't sinking into me yet.". It's your words now combined with the pics and videos recently posted that helps me finally get it that yes, it exceeded my expectations too. I hope the crew feels the same way, and that a pride of "ownership" similar to what Googbox expressed is resonating through the Reno crew and burner community. Many were surprised that we were not from one of the large bay area warehouse district groups so I really felt like we put our humble berg "on the map" of large art installations.

The gorgeous Strudel Girl with the short blond hair is "Sam" and that's all she will let me tell you without subjecting me to beers and schpank-cakes.

Fluffer stuff (last year's project) is at www.mutantvehicle.com/fluffer.htm

I'll eventually cut a compilation video montage of some of the better Ein Hammer images and post a link here.

Be well and do strange things.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:54 pm

ygmir wrote:
Token wrote:
ygmir wrote:

hey now...............

*putting french maid outfit and zorro mask away*

You have no idea how ridiculous this would be. At 6'8" in Playa wear, you need to lead me on a chain while I wear a bling collar ...

I think we got a date for next year ...
Token

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:55 pm

idonteven

!!

I want to play.
C.f.M.

Postby Token » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Piss off wench!

Mr. Furley is mine!

No

Wait

You have a pee funnel

Fuck!

;)
Token

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:12 pm

I thought Ein Hammer was pretty cool, I think I stopped by there every night(let me check my notes).

Hats off to the crew that built it, and to thier GROUP EFFORT to see it finished.

To me there was no better waste of flame standing still on open playa this year.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:52 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I thought Ein Hammer was pretty cool, I think I stopped by there every night(let me check my notes).

Hats off to the crew that built it, and to thier GROUP EFFORT to see it finished.

To me there was no better waste of flame standing still on open playa this year.

A group effort to be sure, One Eye. Let's not forget that without you and your flame effects expertise, we'd all be dancing around a bunch of lame-ass strobe lights. Thank you, Dick, for making Ein Hammer the breathtaking spectacle that touched so very many.
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:26 pm

*does the Dick Appreciation Dance*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Art & Performance