Satellite photo taken?

Satellite photo taken?

Postby clerkkent » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 pm

does anyone know if/where this proposed satellite photo was posted?

SATELLITE PHOTO BEING TAKEN OF BLACK ROCK CITY SEPTEMBER 2 AT 11:41AM
:"Hi Everyone,...I have arranged with GeoEye for a satellite image acquisition on September 2 at *precisely* 11:41 am. That is NOT!!! playa time ... again, not at 12:00, not 12:15..., not "oh shit where is my watch"... at*precisely* at 11:41am. So if you want to send out a notice to any artists who want to do a project that is captured from *space* (as in not from the airplanes) they need to do it at *precisely* that time. I will get the imagery roughly 24 hours later and it will be posted soon thereafter."

From Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks Volume 14, Issue #33 August 25, 2010
clerkkent

Postby Sham » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:19 pm

For some reason, I think this was a joke and there is no picture. Kind of like cameras in the the porta potties---only bigger!
Sham

Postby alice930 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:53 pm

"It is not the mango, the sunset, nor the lover's kiss, but that we were fully present in that moment."
"Fulfillment in this moment brings unsurpassed joy." Y.S. 2.42
alice930

Postby alice930 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 pm

oops sorry that was 2009
try this:
http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010 ... -2010.html

and follow directions for use in google earth
"It is not the mango, the sunset, nor the lover's kiss, but that we were fully present in that moment."
"Fulfillment in this moment brings unsurpassed joy." Y.S. 2.42
alice930

Postby mournlight » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 pm

thanks for the link, Alice. I could see the circle we made at 1141. They took it - yay!
~Having fun preparing for a creative world~
mournlight

Postby drutter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:00 am

Two things:

1) The notice said it was to take place on Thursday, but the website claims the picture was taken on Wednesday. If the website is right, I laid on a tarp in my front yard for 5 minutes in the scorching heat for nothing!

2) I didn't see a high res option. Anyone have a link? At that resolution, even center camp is just a black dot. No chance of seeing anything other than the general location of the city within the black rock playa.
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby Mosin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:58 am

I made playa angels for 10 minutes on Thursday (11:35-11:45) sporting a brutal hangover, and now I find out the imagery was taken on Wed (!).

No matter though, the resolution of the image relative to the aerial photos of past years SUCKS... even when viewed in "hires" using Google Earth "Geo-Eye Featured Imagery" (as per the instructions via the above link). Unless someone made a giant sign out of RVs (that said "HELF" for example... any Gilligan's Island fans out there?) there is no way to make out single individuals, doing playa angels or not. Oh well... it was fun anyway, but I'm bummed the resolution is so low. I can make out our RV and structures, but everything dithers when viewed closer than 6000 ft.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Mosin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 am

drutter wrote:2) I didn't see a high res option. Anyone have a link? At that resolution, even center camp is just a black dot. No chance of seeing anything other than the general location of the city within the black rock playa.

You need to DL Google Earth, click the "More" tab in the left frame, and click the checkbox for "Geo Eye Imagery". You will instantly see their logo appear over BRC. Click it and select "View Imagery in High Res". Then say "FUCK!" aloud, since you will not be able to see yourself, whether you were out on Wed. AM or not.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Postby djmikel » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:37 am

Apparently, there were several satellite photos taken during the event.

Check out this Google Earth blog to see the "Peacetropolis" photo taken on Thurs.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives ... th+Blog%29
djmikel

Postby Mosin » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 pm

djmikel wrote:Apparently, there were several satellite photos taken during the event.

Check out this Google Earth blog to see the "Peacetropolis" photo taken on Thurs.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives ... th+Blog%29

Nothing posted yet but I hope this pans out... I really was making some sweet playa angels. :D
Mosin

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Mosin wrote:I made playa angels for 10 minutes on Thursday (11:35-11:45) sporting a brutal hangover, and now I find out the imagery was taken on Wed (!).

No matter though, the resolution of the image relative to the aerial photos of past years SUCKS... even when viewed in "hires" using Google Earth "Geo-Eye Featured Imagery" (as per the instructions via the above link). Unless someone made a giant sign out of RVs (that said "HELF" for example... any Gilligan's Island fans out there?) there is no way to make out single individuals, doing playa angels or not. Oh well... it was fun anyway, but I'm bummed the resolution is so low. I can make out our RV and structures, but everything dithers when viewed closer than 6000 ft.

I thought it was "SOL"
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby sputnik » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:57 am

Has anyone found a link to the full image?
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby velocirafter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:18 am

we all ran out of the petting zoo to make a human PZ on the playa but it doesnt seem to be on google earth.

I think we did it on Thursday morning so it looks like the one on google earth was taken on Wednesday......to be honest my memory is hazy so I'm not sure what day we actually did it :oops:
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(
velocirafter

Postby kman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 am

Lame, if they didn't take a full res image.

The google earth/map satellite view of my in-law's house allowed us to identify the model of the car in the driveway. At that res, individual bodies should have been fairly easily recognizable.
kman

Postby velocirafter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:26 am

the one on google earth is pretty high res, you can just about make out individual people
velocirafter

Postby sputnik » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:28 am

The image on google earth was taken on Wed. I've seen a snippet of the image taken on thursday, but not the whole thing.
sputnik

Postby velocirafter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:45 am

ya, i've been able to find the photo from thursday on the geoeye website but it doesnt give the high res on the website and I cannot seem to get it up on google earth.

Here are the details to the photo on the 2nd. Any ideas how to get a look at the high res version? Its not quite as good res as the one on the 1st thats probably why they didnt use it as the default

Search Result 2
Collection Date 2-SEP-2010
Cloud Cover Sunny (1%)
Imagery Source IKONOS-2
Elevation Angle 63.4579
Ground Sample Distance 0.99
Data Owner GEOY
Ordering Identifier 2010090218414800000011606717
velocirafter

Postby velocirafter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:23 pm

Is that photo that ends at 3 definitely the one taken on the thursday?

I've given up looking, i emailed geoeye and they just sent me back to the low res image i had already found.
velocirafter

Postby velocirafter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:32 pm

major success!!

I've gotten my hands on the elusive photo taken on the 2nd. Big thanks to Jennifer from Geoeye who sent it on to me.

http://twitpic.com/2p2bpz

Please see their usage requirements prior to any distribution of the image –
http://geoeye.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=59
velocirafter

Postby AntiM » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:15 pm

I can definitely see my camp, but only because Hushville is so easy to find. Is it me, or are there camps blacked out?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:16 pm

It looks like some weird markings there...

And yes, I *did* find our camp!!! The Apokiliptik Mark on Space was a success!!!!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby velocirafter » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:16 pm

that must be where all the LEO's are camping :D
velocirafter

Postby oneeyeddick » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:22 pm

ygmir wrote:
Mosin wrote:I made playa angels for 10 minutes on Thursday (11:35-11:45) sporting a brutal hangover, and now I find out the imagery was taken on Wed (!).

I thought it was "SOL"

The nordic fellow is correct, I knows my Gilligan !!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby sputnik » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Finally! Yay!

As for being able to pick people out. You can't do that on any of the earlier images, and I know because I was laying on the ground next to my project in 06 and I'm essentially invisible. Also, my guess is that this is the raw image and that enhancement has yet to be done that would help bring out details
sputnik

Postby techbuzz » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:08 pm

[quote="velocirafter"]major success!!

I've gotten my hands on the elusive photo taken on the 2nd. Big thanks to Jennifer from Geoeye who sent it on to me.

[url]http://twitpic.com/2p2bpz[/url]

[/quote]

Thank you!
techbuzz

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:19 pm

How weird that Centre Camp is blacked out. Was this the day that they Bilderbergs were holding their annual BRC meeting?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MistressSybs » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:06 pm

how awesome!
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby Mosin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:15 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
ygmir wrote:

I thought it was "SOL"

The nordic fellow is correct, I knows my Gilligan !!

I stand corrected! HELF was a Far Side... :oops:

Mosin

Postby Psycho » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:How weird that Centre Camp is blacked out. Was this the day that they Bilderbergs were holding their annual BRC meeting?

I don't think anything was deliberately blacked out, I think it's just a REALLY contrasty picture (not sure if they could correct for that after the pic is taken or not). If you brighten it up, you can start to see the patterns on the Center Camp tent.

I think anything that was black, or really dark colored, came out nearly solid black in this photo. You can also see the Yurt camp (I think) with all the weird white cone-shapes coming off the tops of the yurt (sun reflection).

We had a shade structure in our camp that was a kind of reflective dark-gray color (kind of a solar shield tarp), and it's a solid black square in the picture. No detail at all (granted, it's tiny too), but it definitely looks different in the Sep 1 photo. I think the pic just came out bad, probably why they didn't use it on the site. I wish it was higher resolution though..
Psycho

Postby Thecatman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

I can see my truck at 8:30 and K. Its not identifiable as a Ford, but, neither is the folks I was camping with truck idenifiable as a Dodge.
Even though my truck is tan with a fire engine red shell, it looks kinda black like many other objects.
The military helicoptor art car is recognizable at 8:30 and J.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Next

Return to 2010 Art & Performance