Honda Generator Owners...

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Honda Generator Owners...

Postby cahlm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:12 am

Just got mine in the mail and was wondering about the air filter vs. playa dust. Are you guys cleaning the filter at all during the week? Using a different filter all together? Shed a little light please... :?
cahlm

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Postby TomServo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:29 am

I'm not an owner, but if its new, bring spare air filters...if used, bring spare air filters. I'm betting you paid a bit for it, so take all precautions. This is only a tiny help, but, place it on a tarp.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby cahlm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:47 am

Nah, that's plenty of help. And yes, I did pay a pretty penny for it. I was gonna go with a cheapo but I want it to last for more than a couple days, if that. Plus I respect my neighbors enough to buy Honda.
cahlm

Postby BurningRando » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 am

They are washable foam filters.

I do not change mine on playa but clean and oil them before and after.

If its a brand new unit, might want to run it for a day on a moderate load just to get the first oil change and break-in done before the playa.

Ultimately, its good to have spares for the filter and spark plug.
BurningRando

Postby TomServo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:07 am

cahlm wrote:Nah, that's plenty of help. And yes, I did pay a pretty penny for it. I was gonna go with a cheapo but I want it to last for more than a couple days, if that. Plus I respect my neighbors enough to buy Honda.

EU 3000? Great fucking generators! Like I said, put it on a tarp! The vibration will stir up dust.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Megaflow » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:21 am

you might want to get a smaller main jet for the carburetor. Honda sells one to be used at higher altitude. It does make a difference on the playa.
Megaflow

Postby cahlm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:33 pm

Megaflow wrote:you might want to get a smaller main jet for the carburetor. Honda sells one to be used at higher altitude. It does make a difference on the playa.

Yeah, that was my other question. I'm in Reno so I don't think the elevation change is too drastic, but I still would like to get the full power rating. How do you guys feel about the Eco-Mode? It's quiet, that's for certain, but is it efficient?
cahlm

Postby Elliot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:52 pm

It is a matter of elevation above sea level. I remember checking it, and as I recall... the recommended change-over elevation was a bit higher than BRC. But perhaps it would still be beneficial to change.

I think I always use eco-mode. Perhaps if you keep triggering a large power tool or some such, you might want to let it run at full tilt for instant response, but I don't know why else.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Stickygreen » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 pm

EU3000is owner, and yes eco mode is way better for noise reduction, but if your using it to run a sound system then leave it off. Every time one of the sub's needs a big draw of power, you want it to be there. This isn't always possible with eco mode..

if your just using it to run lights, and general camp stuff, then eco mode is the way to go.

on the 3000is the filter is not washable, but I don't bring a spare, it will last for the week. I change mine when i get home. oh, and change the oil to.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:28 pm

If it seems to want to stop on you and not want to get started, it probably needs a little oil. They do burn some oil and have an automatic shut-off when the oil level gets low.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 pm

EU2000i here, had it for a couple of years now. I use Captain Goddammit's extended fuel tank solution (search the ePlaya for how to rig up extended run time fuel tanks) and once I start it I don't turn it off until I'm done packing up. (5-8 days of 24x7 operation) When I get home I clean the filter, change the oil and that's it. Only once did a dust storm shut it down, I pulled the filters out, beat them against the side of the truck, put them back in and fired it back up. (For the record I've run my unit 17 days straight without shutting it off. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in it, and it never shut down due to low oil and it was running at max power draw)

As for changing the jets, the playa is approximately 4000 ft in elevation (Gerlach, NV's official elevation is 3944 ft). On the EU2000i Honda makes a jet, 99101-ZG0-0600 that is optimized for 4000 to 7000 ft that should set you back about $6 if you want to make the change for maximum efficiency. That being said I operate mine at 8400 ft of elevation consistently with the factory installed jets and while theory says you lose 3% HP for every 1000 ft of elevation I can still operate all of my equipment without fuss.

In short you bought the best generator on the market, IMHO...and it will serve you well.

Oh and if you do have a EU3000i that's newer than 2009, the 4000 / 7000 ft high altitude jet number is 99101-ZH8-0750. And one last thing...Stickygreen is spot on. Eco-throttle doesn't ramp up as fast as many people would like when hit with a heavy load. If you're running it close to the max leave eco-throttle OFF.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I've been bringing an EU1000i (similar to the 2000, but vastly different from the 3000) since 2006. Overall, it's held up though conditions that would have ruined any other genset, though it hasn't been free of problems. My advice would be to install a fuel filter right after the gas tank as they are inexpensive and will prevent playa dust sludge from entering the fuel pump/carburetor/etc and gumming everything up. I know that the 1000 and 2000 do not have a fuel filter installed; I'm unsure about the 3000.

I bring one or two spare air filters as they are cheap and it's best to come prepared. That being said, I've only had to replace the air filter once after running the generator through a particularly brutal whiteout in 2007.

Usually I do an oil change mid event, but that's just because I'm paranoid and it gives me something to do on Thursday afternoon when it's too hot and I'm too hung over to leave camp. I usually check the oil level once per day just to make sure it isn't low, but I don't recall ever having to top it off.

This year I built a generator box for it with a baffled exhaust port and forced air circulation that uses a large truck air filter to pre-filter the air before it gets to the generator. Probably overkill for most people- I'm testing the design for an art installation we're bringing up next year. I'll post pics later.
Abraham Lincoln

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:33 pm

The intake uses four AC muffin fans rated somewhere around 107cfm... not sure what their mmHG rating is. The intake filter is a large FRAM CA7640 which is used on large diesel engines, Dodge and Bobcat I think. The exhaust is a 9" baffled roof vent for a house. Everything was gorilla glued and screwed together- overbuilt for the playa. It will fit both the 1000i (as pictured) and the 2000 should I end up getting one in the future. Trials have shown that the fans generate significant positive air pressure in the box, even with large volume of exhaust coming out the back, but I think I'm going to put some kind of seal around the lid.

I'm going to vandal proof it by running some 3' candy cane rebar though 1" holes in the bottom and probably put some kind of heavy duty latch with combo lock on the lid.

I guess this counts as my overkill be-all-end-all playa dust killer for my Honda. Hopefully I don't have to redesign it too much for next year's art project.

Pics:

Abraham Lincoln

Postby Kinetik V » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am

I LOVE THAT BOX! I would like to build something like that...may just have to do it before the snow flies, the only thing I would change is I would put some kind of waterproof covering over the wood. I've had my generator get buried in 20 inches of snow overnight before.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 am

We use something VERY close to that in our camp. Almost identical in fact.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby cahlm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:37 am

Thanks for all the responses. For the record, I bought the 2000. I tried to convince myself into getting one of the cheap "quiet" inverter genny's, but I just couldn't do it. 17 days straight w/o stopping!? That's why I spent the extra coin on the Honda.
cahlm

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:46 am

cahlm- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how nice/quiet/reliable the Honda is in comparison other generators. Yamaha supposedly makes good inverter gensets, but I haven't seen too many or had any hands on experience with one. Also, your neighbors will unknowingly love you for your decision as well. I've had neighbors in years past mistakenly think our camp was powered by solar- a testament to how quiet these things really are, especially amidst the sea of noise out there.

geekster- do you have any suggestions or alterations to recommend? Anything you would have changed about the generator box in your camp?

I'm still thinking about painting it... Maybe an Arc of the Covenant themed paint job (a-la Indiana Jones)? Anyone have any suggestions on heavy-duty weather seal paint?
Abraham Lincoln

Postby Stickygreen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am

Abraham Lincoln wrote: My advice would be to install a fuel filter right after the gas tank as they are inexpensive and will prevent playa dust sludge from entering the fuel pump/carburetor/etc and gumming everything up. I know that the 1000 and 2000 do not have a fuel filter installed; I'm unsure about the 3000.

this is an excellent suggestion. last year I got about 3 or 4 tablespoons of playa dust (sludge) in my generators fuel tank. I know the exact amount of playa that got in there cause not only did i need to remove the tank to get the playa out, i needed to replace the tank, due to a hole that had rusted through... but the thing is 5 years old, and also i discovered that when playa and gasoline mix, it makes a very corrosive combo, leaving the tank empty for a few months after BM09 wasn't the smartest idea...

live and learn, i guess. the tank was $300 and the experience of tearing my machine down was a good learning experience. I now know where everything is, and I have the confidence to field strip the thing if need be.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Post burn report on the generator box!

Good news and bad news:

THE BAD. In my rush to leave, I FORGOT THE FUCKING FILTER. GODDAMNIT. After beating myself up for a few hours (and several shots of strong whiskey... and trying to barter with random participants walking down the street for a FRAM CA7640 in exchange for cold drinks... and traumatizing a first year with a lengthy tirade about air filters... and several more shots of strong whiskey) I caved in and fired the generator up sans filter.

THE GOOD. At the end of the week, everything in the box was considerably less playafied when compared to things sitting out in the open. The air filter and fuel filter in the generator were almost clean; there was only a slight tinge of white around the intakes, but no substantial accumulation of playa inside the chassis of the genset or on the floor of the box. SUCCESS!

I brought back a couple handfuls of playa dust, which I plan on throwing forcefully into the filter while the fans are running to test it after-the-fact. Overall, I'm fairly happy with the results, considering that with a filter (and possibly Capt. Goddamnit's fuel tank expansion) the box will be ready to provide power to our installation on the playa next year reliably and safely with little supervision.
Abraham Lincoln

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:04 pm

Consider yourself fortunate.

Our camp art car runs off of a Honda 3000. It powers the internal/external lights, the battery charger, half of the sound system, plus the electronics for the fire poofers. We took off for the first evening's cruise without realizing that the filter wasn't installed in the generator. It's stored in a box below the platform, but it's location makes it prone to a large amount of dust intake. Luckily, our camp mechanic and mastermind was able to clean enough of the generator to get it started again. He let it run to try and clear out some of the playa dust. One of our other campmates suggested doing an oil change immediately, but we were surprisingly low on oil.

After we got the generator working again, we had to replace the filter at least three times during the week.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby cahlm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Well, it worked fantastic like I knew it would. I kept it inside the dome, locked to a vertex, except when being used to run the microwave and battery charger. I cleaned every nook and cranny when I got home just to be safe. These things are awesome.
cahlm

Postby Elliot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 pm

Have not looked at the air filter yet, but my EU3000 used no oil while running non stop from Sunday morning pre- to Tuesday afternoon post-. Consumed 27 (or 29?) gallons of gasoline, running mostly at its famously quiet idle.

Its primary load was a full size refrigerator, which drew next to no juice. When the fridge kicked in, the start-up draw just barely make the EU3000 grunt off idle for an instant.

Occasionally we ran tools like a chop saw and an air compressor. And a microwave oven -- which drew a surprising (to me) amount of juice.

Only time I switched it off "Eco" mode was when I needed to cut a big hunk of iron with the chop saw.

I refueled it routinely morning and evening, but it was often still half full.

The refrigerator really "made" our burn. No wasting precious BRC time standing in line to buy ice. No spoiled food. Ice cream and fresh watermelon all week.

I know this sounds like a Honda commercial, but dang... this thing is worth the money.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:12 am

I LOVE the generator box! I'm going to make a larger copy of it for a pair of 2000s. Honda EUs are quiet - even quieter is even better, less dust is better, but the security aspect of anchoring the box down and locking it up is perhaps the best benefit.

Everyone should do the external fuel tank thing. http://ilynne.com/captaingoddammit/
I need to update that set of instructions, I'm not 100% happy with that exact method of plumbing the fuel line through the Honda gas cap.
One of the biggest benefits of the extra tank is that you can filter the fuel supply before it gets to the Honda at all, and you never have to open the Honda's tank.

Everyone should also make their own parallel operation cables, Honda's are a rip-off. The "parallel operation ports" on a Honda EU are simply wired directly to the regular power outlets on the front of the set. You can use nothing more than a short extension cord with the female end cut off and replaced with another male, then plug one end into each Honda. Better yet, buy two 12-gauge power-tool replacement cords from Home Depot and run both into a junction box onto which you've installed whatever outlets you want (I have an RV-style 30-amp outlet on mine so my camper plugs in without one of those
adapters).

The main thing you need to know about operating two (or more) Hondas hooked together is start-up sequence. Connect both sets FIRST, THEN start either or both engines. Don't connect them while they are already running.
You can connect different size Honda EUs, I've run EU1000, EU2000 and EU3000s together in different match-ups and they all play nice together.
Once connected, you can start/stop either set anytime at all. You can run just one and just start the second one when you're gonna be using your microwave or whatever.

The only other caution in doing this is remember that with a double-male connector cord, if you unplug one end with the other end plugged into a running generator, you will have exposed, live terminals. Don't touch them and kill yourself.

A cool thing about running two is that even when you are only drawing a moderate amount of power (that just one set would handle), two units barely idling sound nicer than one unit throttled up, and with two you can usually get away with using Eco-Throttle mode even when you want to run power saws and other large start-up-power items.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:44 am

The trick for making a mechanical seal for the gas cap is to use a drill bit slighly smaller than the barb you are going to use, then heat up the hole by "wiggling" the exposed metal(not the cutting treads)part of the drill bit till it makes the plastic malleable...it doesn't take very much friction, and then simply slam the hose barb through with a hammer.
The platic cap makes it's own seal around the barb after it cools down
I have done this to 3 caps now for other peoples gennies, as well as my own, all with success, no glue or sealant or washers required.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Colonel Monk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm glad to hear that people are using Honda's for their power needs on playa. We had a neighbor this year with one of those Kragen Auto Chinese 2 stroke specials and it was horribly loud.

I lived off the grid with an EU3000i and an EU2000i for a year. Keep in mind that these are not full-time gennys - they have no pressurized oil system or oil filter, so it is imperative that if you will run them long hours you must abide by the Honda oil change schedule of 50-60 hours (I forget exactly....)

Now if you're running them full-time only one week a year, no worries.

The eco setting does have one downfall - the low rpm doesn't keep the engine running hot and free of carbon. Honda suggests warming up the genny 2 minutes or so with ECO setting off and also recommends you run it 2 minutes or so off ECO before shutting down. This isn't too convenient when you're getting ready to go to sleep and just shutting it off. Our genny needed to be serviced after just a year - the head and spark arrestor needed to have carbon removed. It is a standard service item, we probably should have just done it on schedule.

Another thing which will cut down on your runtime is an inverter and a few batteries - you don't need to run the genny for just a few lights or for reefer in the middle of the night (or for the 10-20 minutes it will run each night) - you can charge the batteries during the day and give it a rest. The inverter will make the power you need when the genny is off.

Love the idea of the enclosure - I built one for my MVs battery charger (a Magnum Energy 2000W inverter) and it kept it totally clean all week long.

CM
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby Elliot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:54 pm

This carbon buildup problem.... Would the high altitude jet help on this?

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:56 pm

I thought carbon was an air/fuel mix issue.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:03 pm

It is.

Maybe he meant it will keep carbon buildup off of your sparkplugs?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Fuel caps

Postby crstophr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:24 pm

There is an outfit on ebay selling CNC machined aluminum fuel caps that fit our honda type generators. These caps are already tapped for a proper pipe thread. The caps are about 2x as expensive as buying spare honda caps and hacking them up yourself. After running out of time I bought a full dual extended tank kit from these guys. They came with full shut-off quick disconnects and tank. I added fuel filters.

Worked great this year! Ditto for the person who suggested fuel filters inline inside the generators. I got some crud in my float needle, flooded the engine, fouled the plug and killed my generator. Luckily I can disassemble and clean a carb and had spare plugs. Inline filters are my next and final mod to this setup.

Oh... I had two kipor gennies (the chinese honda knockoffs), not the hondas. They worked great for me.

--Chris
crstophr

Postby Colonel Monk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:44 am

[quote="oneeyeddick"]It is.

Maybe he meant it will keep carbon buildup off of your sparkplugs?[/quote]

Nope. I'm talking about carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and spark arrestor screen (behind muffler).

You ever hear your dear old dad talking about "burning the carbon" out of a motor by running it hard every once in a while? Well at "idle" or low speed conditions engines don't run very hot or efficient - and this can cause the deposition of carbon on combustion surfaces (head,valves,exhaust) due to incomplete combustion of fuel.

Sure, can also be caused by weak spark/improper jetting, but this is a modern engine and I would not be worried about that.

My experience is that the eco setting on the EU gennys is very miserly, but also the low speed results in carbon deposits.

Your manual states you should clean the spark arrestor tube every 100 hours and combustion chamber every 300 hours. We went way beyond that and the genny crapped out eventually - we ran 90% of the time on eco setting.

The mechanic berated us for not maintaining - it was actually pretty funny. The muffler and spark arrestor tube were packed with carbon, and it eventually choked it out.

He pointed out that the manual says run 2-3 minutes full speed when warming up before using eco setting - this he said helps burn off small deposits as they form, and as I said in other post he recommended doing the same at shutdown? I wasn't sure if that was necessary as I have faith in Honda's engineers to document just what is required. YMMV.
dust.
Colonel Monk

Next

Return to Power & Illumination