Bad
29%
Bad
29%

Total votes: 80

sktELEMENT

Cell Service in Black Rock City

Post by sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 am

My buddy just called me while waiting in line at the burn just now...Cell Service!? Fucking weak... I feel this is a terrible turn of events in BMs history.
Infect Me

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:55 pm

why is it so wrong?

sktELEMENT

Post by sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Its Sunday night, every one is gathered at the temple watching it set a blaze. Amazing vibes in the air...all of a sudden brrrring brrriiiing!!...cell phone ringing...vibes negative

Just as one example.

Or all the new Virgins who are use to having their cell phones attched to them and continue to have it attached to them as they call their bf gf or parents every minute to tell them the cool shit they are seeing...who could really use a week without that technology attached to them. I know how affecting that week without is for me and my friends.

As just another example. It is a special feeling being nearly cut off from the outside world.
Infect Me

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:45 pm

I vote "neither". It IS great to be cut off from technology once a year. If it won't be at Burning Man, fine, I'll do it on a different camping trip. I WILL get annoyed by the tourist talking on the phone during the temple burn, but then again that same person would likely annoy me by other stuff they do as well.

And on another note, it will be easier to allow my default peeps reach me in a true emergency. It's easier than the current instruction they have which is "send someone past the rubber ducky, no not that rubber ducky, to the blue tent next to the white car. I'll be the one with a big ass and cheez doodles."

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:19 pm

The cell phone tower can only handle a minor number of calls. It's made to serve the population of Gerlach, not BRC. So at the beginning of the event, when crews are setting up things, it's very handy and necessary. As folk gather, a few can call home and say that they are all right. But as the City builds in its myriads, the tower gets overloaded and nobody can get out. For the week of the event, the citizens of Gerlach can't use their cell phones, and likewise for the denizens of BRC.

Do you still need cheese with your whine?

oleg8888

Post by oleg8888 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Had it actually happen to you last year?
I did not see a single person with a phone.
And personally was so grateful to be able to call home and check on my family.
I don't go to BM with 50K people to get away from people.
I go there for experiences.
You think a cell phone going off at the burn is bad?
How about an ambulance rushing thru the crowd to help some poor fella who is having a hard attack?
That was my experience last year.
And guess what, thanks to communication technology he is still alive.
Is it just the ring tone that gives you the bad vibe?
How about a walkie-talkie? They are on all the time!
My suggestion: deal with it, don't get angry. You go to BM to be free and let others be free.
Now, go breath some dust and leave some for me
sktELEMENT wrote:Its Sunday night, every one is gathered at the temple watching it set a blaze. Amazing vibes in the air...all of a sudden brrrring brrriiiing!!...cell phone ringing...vibes negative

Just as one example.

Or all the new Virgins who are use to having their cell phones attched to them and continue to have it attached to them as they call their bf gf or parents every minute to tell them the cool shit they are seeing...who could really use a week without that technology attached to them. I know how affecting that week without is for me and my friends.

As just another example. It is a special feeling being nearly cut off from the outside world.

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Slashdot just posted a link to this story about this year's cell phone network at BRC:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/0 ... ml?hpg1=bn

Burning Man's open source cell phone system could help save the world
Solar-powered OpenBTS systems costs pennies a day and operates in the farthest outreaches of Earth.

For the rest of it check out the link....but it's quite informative.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm

We're finding out who the real Luddites are.

sktELEMENT

Post by sktELEMENT » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Rare situations...an ambulance? Please not even the same thing. And in a true emergency BLM and Rangers are everywhere in which they could make contact within a minute to the outside world. Sattelite phones included. It is too bad u can't see it in the same way...If safety and convenience is so imperative perhaps they should open up food stands and sell equipment in case someone forgot. Its just adding more lube to an already slippery slope.
Infect Me

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:27 pm

One of the perks of going to Burning Man in previous years was being able to tell an employer that I'm going to one of the few places left in America WITHOUT cell phone service. It was extra nice when you worked for a cellular provider and could say that. But now...it's pretty much a relic of Burning Man history...

Since this is the future, maybe it's time to develop apps to take full advantage of it...putting one's head in the sand and ignoring the new reality is not an option for me.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:07 am

I'm sure it's inevitable that cell service will reach the playa, and I know there are very good reasons to have it, but lack of cell service and pretty much any other contact with the outside world was something I liked about Burning Man.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

drucake

Post by drucake » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:12 pm

BAD BAD BAD BAD.

stormlight

Post by stormlight » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 am

As one who is constantly on my phone in default world I was surprised how pleased I was to see "no service" on my phone. Got a little service last year which was a minor distraction but better when it's totally off. Since I can get my e-mail on my phone I just checked it a couple times on the wifi at Center Camp in case of real emergency and didn't respond to any as I put on vacation before I left. Knowing I could check gave me comfort but am against any large scale ability to communicate outside Playa. I have a feeling, however, technology will advance and encroach upon our noisy solitude.

velocirafter
Burning Since: 2007

Post by velocirafter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:08 am

if cell phones got really prevalent i'm sure some camp would make it their business to run a denial of service attack for the week to make sure noone could use their phones
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:20 am

velocirafter wrote:if cell phones got really prevalent i'm sure some camp would make it their business to run a denial of service attack for the week to make sure noone could use their phones
And I'd bet that they would be asked to leave the event.

JK

Pink Daddy

Post by Pink Daddy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 am

I got my cell phone out twice at Burning Man. The first time was to check the time (I had a DJ set that night and I lost my watch), the second time was to call my wife on Sunday. I hadn't spoken to her in almost two weeks and I deeply missed her. What was funny was that you only get three minutes, then you get a message that says, "Hey buddy, you're three minutes are up, get the hell off the phone!". Both my wife and I heard it, it was very funny...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: [email protected]) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs377.snc4/46069_461193081927_501436927_6807820_1244164_n.jpg[/img]

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:57 am

Da Mule wrote: It's easier than the current instruction they have which is "send someone past the rubber ducky, no not that rubber ducky, to the blue tent next to the white car. I'll be the one with a big ass and cheez doodles."

hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I needed this laugh, right now. Thank you.

*whew*
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Homiesinheaven » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:17 am

dont panic, Larry Harvey says no dice. you can hear his thoughts on the matter about a third of the way into this recording:

http://s3.shoutingfire.org/larry/LarryH ... ve2010.mp3

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:48 pm

And if you want clarification, call his cellphone on the playa next time you're at BRC...

punapeter

Post by punapeter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:51 pm

sad, people are so addicted to their plastic electronics, need a pulse...
what a sad state when sheeple can't disconnect with their facebook or email or chatting on the phone about bullshit.
I was walking through Berkeley going to the Hat Shop and EVERYONE on the street had either a cell phone stuck to their face or had ear buds in, no one saying hello or good morning to any one they passed. Total disconnect with so much mass humanity.

On the playa only 50k and some can't even satay engaged for a week without checking to see if their default world is crumbling without them.

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:07 am

punapeter wrote:sad, people are so addicted to their plastic electronics, need a pulse...
what a sad state when sheeple can't disconnect with their facebook or email or chatting on the phone about bullshit.
I was walking through Berkeley going to the Hat Shop and EVERYONE on the street had either a cell phone stuck to their face or had ear buds in, no one saying hello or good morning to any one they passed. Total disconnect with so much mass humanity.

On the playa only 50k and some can't even satay engaged for a week without checking to see if their default world is crumbling without them.
So how did you like using your plastic desktop or laptop to type that post?

Instead of mewing about technology being a divider and sticking one's head in the sand to ignore it you could take the other approach and embrace it....and utilize it to enhance the experience of the event. The opportunity to be very creative is staring everyone right in the face and so far I see a bunch of bitching and few people realizing just how much potential this has.

And by the way the uses for mobile devices is not just about facebook or talking about bullshit. For some of us that smartphone is a lifeline. It's what allows me to coordinate someone's medical care from 500+ miles away and be full engaged yet I can still work and provide for my family. I share this as an example of what I do with my smartphone literally every day and I hope by sharing it I can get people to quit using so many dang stereotypes when it comes to tech. Sure being able to post to FB is nice...but it's so much more. Stuff you really never think about. Stuff you may not even be able to wrap your mind around.

Tech pays my bills. Tech has improved my quality of life. And tech is what's allowing me to spend the last month's of someone's life fully engaged in it...and making it as comfortable for them as possible. It's a force multiplier and I thank the divine powers that be literally every morning and every night that it exists and that I have access to it. In short...don't be so quick to shun it...the potential it offers is just too vast to ignore. </soapbox>
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 am

I recently had my art car parked on an urban city street, and was amazed that virtually every young person coming up from the subway, was checking their iPhone or Blackberry. They have mastered the art of walking and texting without looking where they are going--completely oblivious to the world around them. Everyone they needed to interact with, was within that little handheld device.
I recall when portable cell phones first came out, I would be a public toilet stall, and the guy next to me would appear to start a conversation. "Hey, how are you doing". It took me a while not to answer when they would start talking.
People can't back out of a fucking parking space now, without calling a friend to tell them the latest update that, "I am leaving the mall now and I'm backing up my car".
Then there are the minute by minute updates to their MySpaceFace pages. Give it a rest--I don't care if your beloved dog has a rash on his bottom---honest!
Wide spread cell phone use and texting on the playa will destroy the backbone of this event. I can't imagine the same people who can't take a dump without their phone to their face, can make it a week on the playa without their social network for support. "Guess where I'm texting you from?"

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 am

Sad when people are so alienated from their fellow humans that they use the term "sheeple." I think we're talking 1% inspiration and 99% thoughtless (yes, ironic, that) condensation.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Thecatman
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:53 pm

I took mine out one time, Friday morning. Called my wife, just to say hi, we talked for maybe two minutes cuz I did'nt want to press my luck with the service.

I heard that the tower is in Empire.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

punapeter

Post by punapeter » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:00 pm

I guess my last post was censored so I guess that explains this platform.
yes sheeple, those who like the barbies are walking straight into the ovens, you aren't paying attention????

Kinetik V

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 pm

punapeter wrote:I guess my last post was censored so I guess that explains this platform.
yes sheeple, those who like the barbies are walking straight into the ovens, you aren't paying attention????
Cluestick time. SMACK! You didn't get censored. But making those kind of accusations is a fast way to fire up this place and when this group gets fired up...you don't wanna be on the receiving end of the flak. It can be too intense for most.

Now if you want to have a real conversation about cell phones on the playa...and some of us are telecom veterans here, then do so. But leave the other censorship bullshit out of it.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:48 am

Nope, not censored, still sitting there, bold as pixels can be.

Censored? No. I know, I'd be one of the "censors". But unless you were spamming or providing personal info or engaging in a particularly vicious attack, nope. You get to say whatever BS crosses your mind. Then you get to stand by it as the rest of the community states their opinion. Have fun. Keep it above the ... nevermind.

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:12 am

Shambala wrote:I recently had my art car parked on an urban city street, and was amazed that virtually every young person coming up from the subway, was checking their iPhone or Blackberry. They have mastered the art of walking and texting without looking where they are going--completely oblivious to the world around them. Everyone they needed to interact with, was within that little handheld device.
I recall when portable cell phones first came out, I would be a public toilet stall, and the guy next to me would appear to start a conversation. "Hey, how are you doing". It took me a while not to answer when they would start talking.
People can't back out of a fucking parking space now, without calling a friend to tell them the latest update that, "I am leaving the mall now and I'm backing up my car".
Then there are the minute by minute updates to their MySpaceFace pages. Give it a rest--I don't care if your beloved dog has a rash on his bottom---honest!
Wide spread cell phone use and texting on the playa will destroy the backbone of this event. I can't imagine the same people who can't take a dump without their phone to their face, can make it a week on the playa without their social network for support. "Guess where I'm texting you from?"

WINNER......
8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:10 am

cell phones are welcome in my Book.

I've been to 4 burns now while I was drawing unemployment, and i used to have to drive to Gerlach to call in my weekly job searches(99, 01, and 04)

having cellphone service last year saved me from having to go into town twice last year, which is a bigger pain in the ass than it was back then.

I am quite sure I am not the only person who has been in this boat.

This year, 2 days before we left my girlfriends dad had multiple heart attacks, and was airlifted to SLC VA hospital for surgery.
Having service on playa kept her(and therefore mine) mind at ease.
It ain't gonna ruin the event in any way, shape , or form.

Also, last year, I forgot a very crucial part of my artcar's squirtgun...it was sweet being able to just call a friend and have them pick it up from my house instead of having to leave to go back home and get it.

And BTW, there is a cell tower just south of Empire, and now there is one right in the Middle of Gerlach, it's not real hard to spot if you just look for it.

I had service on Playa on the 4th of July also, therefore the playa already has service, and there aint nothing you can do about it except bitch about how it is going to "ruin" the event?

Get your heads out of the sand, seriously.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

punapeter

Post by punapeter » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 am

well I had a retort, and I don't know where it went but to suffice it to say,
if your ego won't let you leave your cell at home, YOU are changing the event for the worse.
It's bad enough there are generators leaking oil and machinery leaking hydrolic fluids, cars leaking oil and transmission fluid, but leaking everything else to the 'outside' world via an Iphone is the Comodification this event wasn't going to include. Now cells have wormed their way in next the movie crew. A tower on the Playa next? Portable phone booths by AT&T?
But no need really, every Tom, Dick and Mary is writing a bi-line for their blog or their web site.
"My virgin tour" by blah blah blah, DJ Ego fresh off the playa, can't play a note but can make that techo nosie download it to his iphone and text it to china, cd will be on sale before the event is over, in Beijing.

My head isn't in the sand. The computer I used is attached to my house not my ass, I don't take my table saw with me everywhere I go either. It's a stupid tool not a pet rock, it won't starve without you. Unplug for a week, kick the habit, you can do it, maybe....all the people I saw walking down Telegraph in Berkeley after the event were either holding a cell phone to their face or had ear buds in, total disconnect. That will be the end of BM when people are all walking around clicking and texting. If you can't see that, you are what's changing BM, not for the better.

BM needs to start over with just the artists and the sculptors, leave the carnival camping moop to those who hit all the "festivals". I can see very clearly what many old timers say about it being mainstream. A big phrat party gone wild. Less contribution more let's party and pretend to be kewl, look at the freaks and take their pictures then go back to their straight world and tell all their friends how they're in the family, yet their only contribution in BRC was their pee on the playa. Cell phones are for selfish people. You aren't that important. If you are stay home with your cell. And if one's relationship isn't strong enough to handle a two week separation with no communication, you're really gonna be up the creek when they all die.

But just keep your ear attached to those devices, you won't even see it coming.

Return to “2010 Theme”