Music at the temple?

Music at the temple?

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 am

i dont remember there being so much music at the temples of the past two years. arent the temples meant to be sacred spaces for reflection and serenity and not for a place to throw a raging dance party? as if there was any lack of dance music on the esplanade. a few friends and i stopped by late one night and had to leave because of the horrible dubstep being blasted. too bad so many art cars took it upon themselves to party there.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby pbmaniac2000 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 am

Did you perhaps stop by the temple on wednesday night??? If so that would have been temple of breaks. Every year for as long as I can remember they have always had crazy thumping bass on wednesday nights.

Our camps favorite saying this year was: "SHHHHHHHH........ You're at burning man!!" Its going to be loud every where. Hell my camper was setup roughly 130 feet from root society's massive 3d screen. If you want quite and solitude, head out to the trash fence!
pbmaniac2000

Postby Lowz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:55 pm

No matter how far you get, you cant never get rid of assholes ... even during the burn of the temple ...
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby bluesbob » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:11 am

I went out to the Temple on Friday night and danced to the Space Cowboys. I respect the Temple and what it means to people, but I saw nothing disrespectful in having a party out there either. I think the two go quite well together. Reverence and irreverence go hand in hand on the playa.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 am

I agree with you homies. I think it should be a place for reflection, not trying to do the best to cope with the noise. Do these people look inside and feel all the tears? Do they look at what is being written there? I went at around 6:00 on Saturday morning and was bothered by the bar scene chatting and noise, and of course the booming art car music. I think that it is insensitive and rude. I hugged a fellow who was beside himself crying while a couple talked loudly about where they were from and how many burns they'd been to. The playa is a huge place, lots of room for music and volume and dancing. I can't think of any place I would ask someone to be quieter, except the temple.
Elorrum

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 am

dang, i sure did pick the wrong times to go there at night. i was inadvertently there on Wednesday, Friday, and late Saturday. :( bluesbob, irreverence is definitely cool but it doesnt need to happen everywhere and at all times. there's a time and place for everything.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby EmilyD » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:23 am

It seems like the Playa is large enough for there to be one place that's meant to be quiet and peaceful. I don't see why the Temple can't be that place. Just one person (or mutant vehicle) creating party noise can disturb the personal reflections of hundreds of others. Free expression is a great thing but so is being caring and thoughtful towards your community's place of mourning and loss.
EmilyD

A place for reflection

Postby TryptaNim » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Lowz wrote:No matter how far you get, you cant never get rid of assholes ... even during the burn of the temple ...

That about sums it up...Despite this being my first burn, it was obvious to me that art cars blasting music had no place by the temple...Temple of Breaks is one thing, but there's no reason the art cars couldn't keep their distance from the temple. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the art cars, but thundering basslines, squelches, and sequences are not something one wants to hear when one is in a sacred place like the temple. Show some respect and steer clear of the temple! (or just don't broadcast any music if you want to be there)
Waiting until I can think of a good 1...
TryptaNim

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:00 pm

The Survival Guide states that Mutant Vehicles are to turn off music when approaching any art piece...

just sayin'...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Like anyone has to follow "guidlines" provided by a few people who have access to a printing press.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gunsmith » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:58 am

I was bothered by the whomever was blowing that stupid horn that fans used at the world cup, a vesuoolia or however you spell it, during the temple burn, and some girl being a loud obnoxious drunk. I was saying goodbye to my late girlfriend-ironically she was always loud and obnoxious when she was drunk. maybe that was a teachable moment? people could at least respect the Temple burn if not the Temple. I guess they were to busy partying to notice what was written there, I found that by being there before 1030 am it was pretty quiet.
I may not be here now but I was there then
gunsmith

Return to 2010 Art & Performance