UFO sighting at the temple burn 2010

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

UFO sighting at the temple burn 2010

Postby yellowpants » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 pm

No, I'm not talking about skydivers, or some random far away light/laser/kite/weather balloon.

What I saw was an object flying right above my head (maybe 30 ft above me) during the temple burn.

Anyone else seen it?

I am pretty sure it was a UFO, since it was unidentified, and flying. And an object, too.

I will describe more precisely later, because my goal here is to see if anyone else has seen the same thing, and I don't want to influence the responses...
yellowpants

Postby K-mom » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Wait, was it yellow!!?

I saw it too. It was your pants.

Don't worry, mine have been known to levitate too during times of extreme emotion.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby yellowpants » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:53 pm

I am known to lose my pants when I'm excited, but nope, that wasn't it.
yellowpants

Postby percussivepaul » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:16 pm

The little acrobatic flyer, with red and blue lights! It was out Monday night at Tuna Camp too.
percussivepaul

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:46 am

I saw a couple in the city, they're wedge shaped remote control thingys with lights. Cool but if they're low enough, you can hear them.

Another year, another UFO sighting at the Temple.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:46 am

maybe that guy on the cherry picker was going "commando"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:00 am

Or maybe those drugs you took finally caught up to you.

Or it was a gas pocket in the atmosphere.

Or a weather balloon.

Or the men in black messing with your head, you damn hippy.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby David M » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:46 am

We saw a duck fly over. I assumed he was on his way to a watering hole somewhere or he was very lost.
David M

Burning Since: 2009

Postby yellowpants » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 am

It was sphere shaped, with some kind of lens (?) at the bottom and a green and red light (LED?), one on each side of the "lens". It was flying straight, at low and constant altitude.

So you guys are saying this is remote controlled? Pretty impressive, I didn't know we were capable of making this kind of shapes fly.
yellowpants

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:05 am

yellowpants wrote:It was sphere shaped, with some kind of lens (?) at the bottom and a green and red light (LED?), one on each side of the "lens". It was flying straight, at low and constant altitude.

So you guys are saying this is remote controlled? Pretty impressive, I didn't know we were capable of making this kind of shapes fly.

yup, but, aliens were flying them.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:30 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby teardropper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:54 pm

AntiM wrote:I saw a couple in the city, they're wedge shaped remote control thingys with lights. Cool but if they're low enough, you can hear them.

Another year, another UFO sighting at the Temple.

Yeah, that's what I saw from the, I think, southwest side.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 pm

yellowpants wrote:It was sphere shaped, with some kind of lens (?) at the bottom and a green and red light (LED?), one on each side of the "lens". It was flying straight, at low and constant altitude.

You need to spend more time with google.

One annoying video:

http://vimeo.com/1976483
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:21 pm

That's a rad toy, now I want to get an RC Flying Saucer...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Nothin new

Postby mamarain » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm

well if u wern't on some mind altering substance
yes there are UFO in the area all the time
so nothing new there
:shock:
(MAMA RAIN)
mamarain

Postby klone138 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:27 am

When walking to the temple burn this year I saw a red light (pretty high up there) fly across the entire playa, then stop at about where gerlach is. It hovered in that one place for about an hour or so, and the light just turned off as soon as the temple started burning. Plus there was the obvious ufos that hovered over the man and temple burns in 09. They're up there watching us for sure. I think we simply interest them.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buVf6LLuPNc[/youtube]
klone138

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:53 am

So if you're stoned and can't identify the lights in the sky because you don't understand desert optical illusions and spatial distortion at night, they are automatically aliens? If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. There is a Naval Air Station just a few ridges over... and they DO have interesting options in aerial surveillance. Bored flyboys are certainly interested in us. Or be paranoid... yikes! The gubbermint!!!

But no, really, burners are a creative lot and I just can't imagine one who had the know-how and resources to make lights fly in the sky passing up a chance to fuck with people's heads. I would if I could.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:57 am

AntiM wrote:So if you're stoned and can't identify the lights in the sky because you don't understand desert optical illusions and spatial distortion at night, they are automatically aliens? If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. There is a Naval Air Station just a few ridges over... and they DO have interesting options in aerial surveillance. Bored flyboys are certainly interested in us. Or be paranoid... yikes! The gubbermint!!!

But no, really, burners are a creative lot and I just can't imagine one who had the know-how and resources to make lights fly in the sky passing up a chance to fuck with people's heads. I would if I could.

*sprinkles fairy dust on AntiM*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby jkisha » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:11 am

I saw a couple of guys launching mini "hot-air balloons" during the temple burn. Very cool to watch as they floated into the darkness with the flame burning underneath the white canopies. (Until the rangers told them they couldn't send up any more. I guess they might have been either a MOOP or fire hazard, though I assumed they just burned up or out once they disappeared out of sight.

JK
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 am

jkisha wrote:I saw a couple of guys launching mini "hot-air balloons" during the temple burn. Very cool to watch as they floated into the darkness with the flame burning underneath the white canopies. (Until the rangers told them they couldn't send up any more. I guess they might have been either a MOOP or fire hazard, though I assumed they just burned up or out once they disappeared out of sight.

JK

Very MOOPy and very much a fire hazard. They work better at sea level.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 am

I have planed and schemed for years to prank the dark open playa with a UFO..

Only hoping that a team will come together and make it a real happening.
unjonharley

Postby Isotopia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:32 pm

I think we simply interest them.

Christ, another crank.

Anyone else remember those doves that got released at the Temple years back? The same ones reported to have been UFOs?
Isotopia

Postby baconqurlyq » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:51 pm

The first day in, when we were prepping camp, a hummingbird flew into our RV and then back out again.

While it was a known object, what the fuck was a hummingbird doing out there?
Popped the playa cherry!
baconqurlyq

Postby bherrick » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:26 pm

[quote="jkisha"]I saw a couple of guys launching mini "hot-air balloons" during the temple burn. Very cool to watch as they floated into the darkness with the flame burning underneath the white canopies. (Until the rangers told them they couldn't send up any more. I guess they might have been either a MOOP or fire hazard, though I assumed they just burned up or out once they disappeared out of sight.

JK[/quote]

After the temple burn i noticed a moving light in the sky that seemed like it was changing shapes like it was a flame of some sort. At first i thought it was debri that floated off the temple, but it lasted for a long time before it turned into a solid looking object almost like a bright star. It then dimmed and cruzed off till you couldnt see it. When i got back to camp 2:30 and H, I saw 3 more lights that were fairly close to each other that did the same thing. You think these were the hot air balloons that you were talking about?
bherrick

Postby kman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 pm

AntiM wrote:
jkisha wrote:I saw a couple of guys launching mini "hot-air balloons" during the temple burn. Very cool to watch as they floated into the darkness with the flame burning underneath the white canopies. (Until the rangers told them they couldn't send up any more. I guess they might have been either a MOOP or fire hazard, though I assumed they just burned up or out once they disappeared out of sight.

JK

Yeah, I saw several of those that night. Very cool. Beautiful, too.

That said, I totally get why they're not allowed, and why they're somewhat dangerous.
kman

Postby unjonharley » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:51 pm

kman wrote:
AntiM wrote:

JK

Yeah, I saw several of those that night. Very cool. Beautiful, too.

That said, I totally get why they're not allowed, and why they're somewhat dangerous.

They are fire and no control where they land.. Or moop, they travel a long way..
unjonharley

Postby Sic Pup » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:19 pm

baconqurlyq wrote:While it was a known object, what the fuck was a hummingbird doing out there?

Potnoy alighted atop the Orphan-camp shade stucture and pretty much hung for the duration, although he was MIA for the burn..... go figure.
Sic Pup

Re:

Postby I11I1II1 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 am

bherrick wrote:

JK

After the temple burn i noticed a moving light in the sky that seemed like it was changing shapes like it was a flame of some sort. At first i thought it was debri that floated off the temple, but it lasted for a long time before it turned into a solid looking object almost like a bright star. It then dimmed and cruzed off till you couldnt see it. When i got back to camp 2:30 and H, I saw 3 more lights that were fairly close to each other that did the same thing. You think these were the hot air balloons that you were talking about?

I was camped at 2:30 and H as well right next to Mud (Scott) and his picture studio. I was the guy playing guitar (amplified) and we were east of the temple having a picnic in a dark area maybe 2000 feet from the temple. I thought that it was a balloon taking pictures of the temple burn. The mood was very different from the man burning; it was much more quiet and very little talk.

I ended up playing at the temple shortly before sunset the night the man burned because I realized that a perimeter would be set up in the same way that one was set up at the horse on thursday night.
I11I1II1

Re: UFO sighting at the temple burn 2010

Postby Canoe » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:42 pm

Others saw something...
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=47994
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Re: UFO sighting at the temple burn 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 pm

During an intensely spiritual event such as this, certain energies, such as the soul energy of lost beloveds, get liberated and are seen flying into the sky.

No, it makes about as much sense as spacecraft from Uranus. :)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man