Got Dosed on the playa this year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Got Dosed on the playa this year?

Postby alt12 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:55 pm

I was on the receiving end of an unconsentual LSD dose this year and have since heard other stories of people who were does on the playa this year against their. I would be curious to here others' stories. I was pretty drunk when it happened so am hazy as to how it was that I was dosed (i.e. spray bottle, someone slipped it in my drink, etc.). Perhaps there are some common threads and we can narrow in on the person or peoples going out there and fucking with other people's burns. Luckily, I have a lot of experience with LSD so it was no big deal once I figured out what was happening but I imagine this probably caused more than one bad trip for somebody....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Dosed?

Postby FireShaman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

From stories I've heard from the 'good old days' (pre-96), this used to be VERY common. Personally I think the non-consensual 'sharing' of drugs is far more problematic than most people realize. Sorry it happened to you, and I'm glad it worked out. I don't know anyone this has happened to on Playa, but I have a few friends who took some 'extra-extra sharp cheddar cheese' at a regional and ended up having an... interesting day.
FireShaman

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Pillow Punch

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:01 pm

The incidents I heard about this year involved spray bottles. I am now thankful that none of the several people with spray bottles in the ice line were sharing this gift with others.

We are going to be adding a new rule to our camp (probably village) next year. Anyone that wanders into camp and starts spraying people will be subject to a 2 hour confinement (probably ziptied to the rear tow hooks on my bus) period to ensure that the water was just water.

Lord help the stupid motherfucker that doses any of my camp mates that I can get my hands on.

We had two of our campers dosed at Booby Bar in 2007. One of them was okay with it and rode it without incident, the other person had never even smoked pot before so we took turns babysitting him through his experience.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:13 pm

I got dosed my first year at a "safe" environment, so thereafter I only have drinkstuff with lids... OR it never leaves my hand (my pewter goblet).

I like the spray bottle lockdown, make sure you hold the spraybottle as well.

While I am not fond of the increased LEO presence, someone dosing unsuspecting burners like this deserves to meet our local LEO officers. It's just too bad we can't weight them down with lead and drop them in FrogPond... guess it's a good thing its in the enclosure area. Here, have a dose of THIS.

Or better - make them drink the contents of the spray bottle. ALL of it. Just to prove its safe.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby K-mom » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Actually, I'm curious - what kind of charges would come against said doser? Obviously there's possession, and that probably constitutes a form of trafficking/distribution, but is there another charge for administering illegal drugs to someone against their will? Assault maybe? (I know it is assault in my own opinion, but I'm wondering legally)
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, the posession charge would most likely be a felony, due to the quantity required to dose people with a spray bottle. Intent to distribute would be another felony. The assault charge would most likely be a felony, as well. How many charges should he have?
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:44 pm

We had both a "slipped in drink" and a "spray bottle" dosing this year in our camp. If we ever find those responsible, they will be gladly delivered to the LEO's. Probably still healthy.

Probably.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:49 pm

yeah, you see so many folks spraying people........how ya gonna know?
I'd bet, most are legit, thinking they're doing others a favor.......
tough call.....some nice person, sprays me, and, I take their bottle and go to Rangers, to see if I've been dosed?
dang.
I'm pretty sure I got dosed last year.
I've not done illicit drugs, but, I'm guessing, because, as the fireworks went off around the rocket, the whole sky would change color and melt, as each went off..........

seemed most of the evening was that way.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Now you make me wonder about riding bikes and getting sprayed.. which happens at least 5 times a day if not more. But what do you do?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby FireShaman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:10 pm

I [b]ALWAYS [/b]carry a spray bottle. But I would be glad to take a gulp or two to show you it's safe. Of course, I would take a gulp or two of anyones safe or not....
FireShaman

Camp Name: Pillow Punch

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

that, is a question, for sure.
Being the fragile fellow that I am, I can't really just "strong arm" a spray bottle from someone and run to the rangers, so, well.......I dunno.....maybe take their photo?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby zcassidy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:31 pm

I carried a small spray bottle out with me at night for my friends (and anyone else) to use it as a refresher while we were dancing. A few times I offered other people a spray and some refused while others gladly excepted. Aside from water there was an herbal mixture inside which is very refreshing to a dust clogged nose. I never knew that you could spray LSD onto someone but now I wonder what other people were thinking about us... And if someone tried to grab it from me I would probably have been completely and utterly confused.
Be absurd with your goodness
zcassidy

Postby teardropper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 pm

ygmir wrote:I'm pretty sure I got dosed last year.... because, as the fireworks went off around the rocket, the whole sky would change color and melt, as each went off..........

I don't know. I was completely straight and that was a pretty amazing fireworks display.

I'm pretty sure I'll never get dosed. Who would waste it on an old, paunchy hippie.

Not suggesting anything ygmir, but I'm surprised they got you. I thought it was just the cute, young things.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 pm

hahah, good point...........maybe it was just "overspray"............

haahha, or, Maybe I was just "High on Life" (TM)

or, well, who knows........

ETA:

or, maybe a "friend" was trying to gift me, but, never admitted it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby robrob » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 pm

i never understood why anyone would waste good drugs on random strangers. then again, i also never understood people into the idea of fucking someone who's passed out and unresponsive.

i don't imagine any community handling someone caught doing either very gently.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby MistressSybs » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:10 pm

robrob wrote:i never understood why anyone would waste good drugs on random strangers. then again, i also never understood people into the idea of fucking someone who's passed out and unresponsive.

i don't imagine any community handling someone caught doing either very gently.

exactly!
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby unjonharley » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Spraying me is no different than touching me without permission..

I'm a cranky old fart with two canes. I would not think twice before putting a cane across the bridge of your nose if you suprise me with a cold spray..

Keep your fucking hands/spray off me.

It's assault to touch.. I don't need a cop to correct you.. I will be more than glad to handle that..
unjonharley

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

ygmir wrote:or, maybe a "friend" was trying to gift me, but, never admitted it.

The gft or the friendship?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:or, maybe a "friend" was trying to gift me, but, never admitted it.

The gft or the friendship?

good question.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Pink Daddy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:04 pm

I know some good friends that don't do any drugs. Some of them are in a similar situation as me, having random urinalysis back in the real world. The military doesn't believe in 'accidental dosage', as far as I know.

I would be beyond upset if that happened to myself or anyone I know, especially if it jeopardizes a career.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:07 pm

I'm still questioning the pocket full of quarters..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Bling » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:01 am

Wow, we took every spritz anyone offered, and later in the week when it was hot, I kept my own spray bottle full of cool water and sprayed myself pretty much continuously (and anyone nearby who didn't mind) until it cooled off. Just water. Never occurred to me that someone would spray LSD!
Bling

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:03 am

yeah, you'd not think that.
I always ask, before spraying.
Also, my "coolant" is half rubbing alcohol.....it really cools off, but, some may not like the smell, and, I tell them to cover their eyes.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 am

Pink Daddy wrote:I know some good friends that don't do any drugs. Some of them are in a similar situation as me, having random urinalysis back in the real world. The military doesn't believe in 'accidental dosage', as far as I know.

I would be beyond upset if that happened to myself or anyone I know, especially if it jeopardizes a career.

It's my understanding that LSD cannot be detected in a urinalysis after 48 hours since the active dosage is so minute..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby rangerLEO » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 am

sleep depravation and playa stress can cause symptoms very similar to tripping on psychedelics. it frequently does.

every third person out there is under the impression that they've been dosed at one point during the week.

most of the people on the playa are from the generation after generation X. they were raised in a highly feminized culture that strives to make everyone believe that all men are predators and potential rapists and/or pedophiles. as children, this generation was raised to believe that they are members of an endangered, precious and exalted class - and thus entitled to everything. now these children are adults and rolling out to the playa. this dosing paranoia is a symptom of a really screwed up generation.

almost every woman who gets blacked-out drunk out there claims to have been dosed. in the morning she tells her campmates, and the paranoia spreads. we had one woman in our camp last year who we didn't know very well who did just this. everyone gave her the benefit of the doubt at first, and the suspicion turned to the men in the camp. there was a highly uncomfortable feeling in the camp until days later when we realized she was just a drunk, who repeatedly blacked-out while drinking and further cried wolf about being dosed.

this dosing paranoia has spread across the playa, and is implied in every new encounter - is this person going to dose me? as a man, everytime i see these ladies with lids on their cups, it is implied that she needs it for protection against the men (myself included) around her, because all men are predators. her entire life has been spent in fear of the stranger, and now she has this cup to show the world her defenses are up. the paranoid little brat has grown up, i guess.

from the massive undercover police action on the playa, to the spray bottle paranoia, to the fear of dosing cups - NO ONE CAN BE TRUSTED. every new person you meet out there must be considered a potential risk. makes you wonder what kind of community it really is.
rangerLEO

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:35 am

interesting, and thought provoking post, thanks.
BTW: I'm at the end of the "baby boom".
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Minxy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 am

Hey rangerLEO...not that I disagree with you, necessarily. You made some valid points.

However, I just felt I needed to say that I ALWAYS have a lid on my cup. So the contents don't spill while I'm biking, dancing or hopping around in glee!

It's not always paranoia. :P Sometimes it's just common sense. :D

<3
Minxy

Postby Sail Man » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 am

Sadly, the only thing I got dosed with this year was a cold :(

I swear if I find the person who did this to me I will cough on their food.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby crumpets » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:51 am

Drugs in misters never occurred to me. I was offering mistings to hot looking passers by (hot, not HOTT). I don't think I will be doing so in future, as I'd hate to even cause raised suspicions.

Never understood people who waste their stash on randomers. I can kind of get my head around why someone would spike a drink for their own personal gain, but to mist a passer by and potentially not see them again ... why?!
crumpets

Postby ygmir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:52 am

crumpets wrote:Drugs in misters never occurred to me. I was offering mistings to hot looking passers by (hot, not HOTT). I don't think I will be doing so in future, as I'd hate to even cause raised suspicions.

Never understood people who waste their stash on randomers. I can kind of get my head around why someone would spike a drink for their own personal gain, but to mist a passer by and potentially not see them again ... why?!

the eternal question............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man