Burning Samba!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Burning Samba!

Postby cowgirl » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:27 am

Connecting Drummers and Dancers for a class on the playa! After the class we will dance towards the Man at sunset...

Join on Tribe.net under the name of Burning Samba...

I am teaching a Samba class this year and am looking for a Bateria...
cowgirl

Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance on the playa

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:28 am

All my Brazilian drummer friends are here in Austin and won't make the drive (grumble, grumble), but I thought you might want to know about this similar event we're staging on the playa this year:

Tues.: 8-10:45pm, Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance. Held at SCARAB/Electra camp, and simulcast on Radio Electra. Free colorfully-labelled CDs of the night's music mix to the first 50 dancers.

I've always wished there was more world music on the playa, so starting in '02 I've sponsored an annual world music community dance on Tuesday nights. In '02, it was the Night at the Oasis Dance, which featured North African music as played in the expatriate nightclubs of Paris. Last year, it was the Night in Africa Dance, featuring great Sub-Saharan dance music from Africa. This year, I've got some Brazilian mixes that I think people will really like. Wear Carnaval attire (which can be pretty similar to playa attire as to very "abbreviated" costumes, I suppose), and dance with us under the stars.

If you do manage to get a samba drum corps together, I would love to hear it/see you marching across the playa. Talk about a serious conga line!

waltsnipe, SCARAB Camp
waltsnipe

How Fabulous!

Postby cowgirl » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:55 am

I wish I'd know about your camp the past few years!

BRC has definately been lacking in the worldbeat dept... at least one that is Brazilian...

Doing my homework and trying to get drummers... so far have a few kick ass dancers...

The first class will on Tues eve from 5-6pm where we will dance out to the Man and then I guess over to your camp! This is wonderful... Please keep me up to date before you leave on your location...

You know how things go out there... its tough to organize something once that desert air gets to you...
cowgirl

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:07 pm

What I really want to learn (after Brave Combo's No, No, No, Cha Cha Cha album) are the Cha Cha and the Cumbia. (Of course, Brave Combo playing on the playa would be just wonderful.) Okay, so I like my International dumbed down a little to be comprehensible, but not so far that it's suburbanized.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby madmatt » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:55 pm

Woohoo, I'm there!!
madmatt

Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:22 pm

I'll try to remember to come back here to post the camp location, because I'd love to have you guys there.......I think there's a hidden world music subcommunity out on the playa, and we just need to get together and dance to the stuff!

We're a registered theme camp, so if you remember SCARAB or our sister camp Electra (Radio Electra) you'll be able to see our address in the booklet handed out at the Gate.

I'll also be DJing (playing music, not the beats thing) on Radio Electra every afternoon, which will include quite a bit of world music, and my annual Wed. night radio show--The Send Your Mind Over the Edge Show--from 11pm-1:30 or 2am, will have lots of freaky world music in it (Mongolian and Tuvan throat-singing, Greek space freakouts, etc.).

Look forward to dancing with you guys,

waltsnipe
waltsnipe

really excited...

Postby cowgirl » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:04 am

i think our worldbeat underground has been that way b/c a lot of the music we love comes from tropical, water based societies...

been told by numerous folks that getting tropical culture to BRC was never going to be an easy feat... so i'm really looking forward to dancing to your music and bringing this to the playa...

as i type i'm listening to kpfa music of the world with the music of cape verde....
cowgirl

desert music

Postby waltsnipe » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:18 pm

When I first started to play world music for my campmates/on the radio on the playa, back in '00, I found that the stuff people liked the best were the North African/Middle Eastern tracks......traditional recordings, and especially the hybrid stuff with the dance beats. There is a huge amount of that stuff out there that's really good, so I made that style the theme of the first world music dance I had out in '02.

Your point about "water cultures" is well-taken. Interestingly, the next year's dance with Sub-Saharan African music did not go over as strongly as the North African stuff did the year before (despite the fact that I think the non-desert African music is a stronger set of styles overall).

I've always felt that there was something just "right" about playing desert music (from whichever country) on the playa. A fine synergistic melding of place and musical mood. I guess this year's Carnaval dance will test the theory. Of course, how can people NOT dance their asses off to Brazilian sounds?? :-)

waltsnipe, SCARAB Musical Director
waltsnipe

funny how that goes..

Postby cowgirl » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:21 pm

desert music of course goes well in the desert... but anything overplayed isn't going to have the same oooomph...

sub-suharan booty shakin' didn't go down well? shame! i just saw femi kuti perform here in sf... really inspiring and joyous...

that is what you're talking about with sub-saharan music? afro-funk and high life?

i'm a convert to the brasilian sound and am convinced that when people hear it they won't be able to resist! there is less of a sense of 'drama' that you get with the middle eastern stuff... more of an honest up front sensuality combined with sheer joy...
cowgirl

Brazilain v. sub-Saharan African

Postby waltsnipe » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:55 am

I took the Brazilian mixes out for a test-drive at a party this weekend, and people really seemed to like it. I have high hopes for its effects upon people's hips and backsides on the playa at this year's dance.

Last year, I took the geographical approach to organizing the Sub-Saharan African music dance: started in Senegal (Yousou N'Dour, Ayib Deng, Salif Keita), went down to Mali (the wonderful Habib Koite and Bamada) down into Nigeria (Fela and Femi Kuti, King Sunny Ade) then around the horn and into some of the Central African latin-influenced styles (soukous from Kinsasha, etc.) then into Zimbabwe and Tanzania (Oliver Mtukudzi) and finally down to South Africa. I'm leaving out a lot of names because frankly I can't get close to spelling them. We had a fair turnout at the playa dance last year, but the music just didn't seem to grab people like I thought it would. It may be that through all those very distinct African styles, the beat where the "one" happens keeps moving, so that you can't dance just one way (like, say, with reggae). Don't know. I'll still play lots of that African music on Radio Electra, because I think it's so good and so underexposed in this country.

When listening to the Brazilian mixes this weekend, there is more continuity of style to it....so that may make dancing easier for folks and therefore cause more involuntary buttock gyrations. Hope so, anway.

waltsnipe, SCARAB Musical Director

ps. saw Fela Kuti in Austin back in the mid-80s. It was a cool show, but Femi Kuti blew me away when I saw him at the WOMAD Festival in Seattle a few years back (before Puritan Ashcroft made that annual festival impossible through his obstructionism in foreign musicians being able to get visas to come here to play). Of course, Habib Koite blew everyone out at WOMAD.
waltsnipe

Musica...

Postby cowgirl » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:12 am

You saw Fela??? I'm speechless...

Can only say that Femi Kuti's show was one of the best performances I've ever seen... 2.5 hours straight at the Fillmore in SF!

Back to the topic... sorry to have missed such a fabulous set...

Over-thinking why people don't respond to a beat is possible... it just might not be the right time for the that type of music. Give a year or two and African might be the next thing... I'm pretty confident that the Brazilian thing has been popular for a few years now so people will respond with more confidence in their movement and emotions...

Shit - I just over-thought the whole thing again...
cowgirl

Radio Electra will be at 89.9 on your FM dial this year

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:55 am

Concerning the Radio Electra simulcast of the Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance this year on the playa (Tues. night, 8-10:45pm), I just found out that Radio Electra will be broadcasting at 89.9 on your FM dial this year.

Here's hoping that everyone who can't join us will at least tune in for some fine, butt-shaking Brazilian music!

waltsnipe, SCARAB Camp musical director
waltsnipe

Thank you!

Postby cowgirl » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:37 am

Thank you all for making the Samba classes at Groovig a great experience!

I appreciate everyone crowding into the space to shake it.... it was great fun!
cowgirl

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities