Early theme = more money for Larry

Early theme = more money for Larry

Postby artcrash » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 am

Well here we go again, the damn man has barely cooled and Larry has already announced another pointless and silly theme. Obviously when BM became the corporation it is, the bean counters sat him down and explained that the sooner a theme is announced the more time there will be to promote and generate ticket sales. I remember when you would wait months till the theme (however ludicrous it was) was revealed. That at least created a bit of anticipation and mystery.....two things that the event has certainly given up over the years.......Ahhhh, to be 2002 again!
artcrash

Re: Early theme = more money for Larry

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 am

artcrash wrote:Well here we go again, the damn man has barely cooled and Larry has already announced another pointless and silly theme. Obviously when BM became the corporation it is, the bean counters sat him down and explained that the sooner a theme is announced the more time there will be to promote and generate ticket sales. I remember when you would wait months till the theme (however ludicrous it was) was revealed. That at least created a bit of anticipation and mystery.....two things that the event has certainly given up over the years.......Ahhhh, to be 2002 again!

Quiteyourbitchen,, Gives artist time to think/work while last year is still in there mind..
unjonharley

Postby Pink Daddy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:00 am

^^^Agreed. I'd rather have 51 weeks to plan something awesome for next year, theme related, than trying to throw some crap together at the last minute...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:15 am

I don't really have much respect for Larry, but the way he ends up on people's hate lists and gets blamed for all the failings of the universe...

And I don't see how this makes him more money. Not that I want it explained; I just see it as another case of: Well, I don't like this development of the burn, it must be Larry's fault and it must be making him money. Procrustian Bed, I think.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:55 am

Conspiracy theorists strike the eplaya, state that everything that happens is sinister, suspicious, or exists to pad the pockets of The Hat. Film at 11.

I like knowing next year's theme as the event winds down. Our group will talk during exodus about what worked this year, what sucked, and then how the theme will mesh with next year's plans. If you want mystery and suspense go buy a Kindle and download some great e-books to get all the mystery and suspense you need without trampling on what the majority seems to really like.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Musicman65 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:20 am

You know it's going non-profit next year right? It was in the BRC Beacon, but apparently the word didn't get out.
Musicman65

Postby ygmir » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:02 am

do you go? yes

do you have fun? probably

do others? yes

so:
WTF does it matter, if someone makes money, or, how much?
WTFC if it's a "for profit" corp. or "non-profit" (which does not mean "The Hat" will not get a salary, it just means, "The Corp" ends up with no "profit")

Why, Why, sit around, being jealous/resentful of whatever someone else gets, or does, without "hurting" anyone, and, in fact, providing (arguably), one of the greatest weeks on earth?

STFU
STFD
DTFK-A
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:06 am

The flavor of the kool-aid year to year makes no difference at all.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:57 am

I'm sorry it bothers you! I, personally, don't give a shit! Their are better things to bitch about.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 am

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:59 am

I think it's one of the best themes in years.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby pinemom » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:38 am

I also think its funny that peeps that have less then 100 posts on here are the first every year to bitch about Larry's salary.

Talk about hater artists!

Wouldnt you wanna make money doing what you love to do???
Come on quit bashing Larry Harvey, he did what most all of us could only imagine.

So dooooooood, give the man props, not bash him. He's a smart smart man.

And supportive to all "kinds" of arts...try doing that at your local art museum!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:04 am

Just look at it like its a concert then, That should make you feel better. Do you go to a concert and bitch that the production company is making too much money?

go to BM have a blast and take it for what its become.

just my 2 cents.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:10 am

Ahhhh, to be 2002 again!

"floating world the redux" is 2012 you sniveling jack-knape.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby jkisha » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:27 am

Isn't it great that we all have free will?

It's so much easier to just not involve yourself with Burning Man any longer if it you don't enjoy its evolution. Complaining gets you nowhere and is a waste of both time and energy that you could be using better doing something that you might enjoy.

Now please exercise your free will and go away. Stop trying to put a damper on Burning Man for all the rest of us that enjoy it as it was, as it is, and how it might evolve in the future.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Isotopia » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Well here we go again, the damn man has barely cooled and Larry has already announced another pointless and silly theme....

I know it comes in a time release version but who knew Ambien came in a text version.
Isotopia

Postby bud buddah » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:48 pm

OK, this theme is too lame. How 'bout "Jonestown reborn" . They serve cool aid when they burn the man. Who's got the balls to drink it? Would that theme be offensive enough for the snarkiest among us?

Themes, themes, who cares really. Folks will come up with creative, fun stuff no matter what the noun they pick. And if you don't like the theme, create your own theme camp with a theme that is so amazing and life changing that it will overshadow Larry's idea. There, the balls in your court.

Bud
bud buddah

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:27 pm

There are themes each year?!?!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:41 pm

It themes like it doesnt matter.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Re: Early theme = more money for Larry

Postby Here and there » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm

artcrash wrote:Well here we go again, the damn man has barely cooled and Larry has already announced another pointless and silly theme. Obviously when BM became the corporation it is, the bean counters sat him down and explained that the sooner a theme is announced the more time there will be to promote and generate ticket sales.

Exactly how do you, as a participant, find yourself more poorly served by the fact that those who intend to build the theme into their projects have more time to polish their efforts?

Complaining about the theme seems to be a yearly tradition, but the only good thing to that tradition, I think, is that the complaining sometimes seems to be done as a joke. But with the possible exception of the Vault of Heaven, looking back over the themes, they all seem to have offered a wealth of creative possibilities to those who weren't too focused on being pissed off to notice them. This year is no exception. Honestly - you can't think of anything to do with the concept of a rite of passage?

Did you never go to school? Graduation is a rite of passage, so any camp in which teaching takes place fits into the theme. Were you raised in some sort of religious tradition? A satire of that tradition would offer a number of rites to allude to. Even if your background is purely secular and religious references are lost on you, how about marriage? That offers you no dramatic material to work with?

Or - and here's a possibility for you to chew on - you could, as an artist, just completely ignore the theme. Lots of people do, and the LLC does not seem to make an issue out of that. So, what, then, is the theme? The theme is Larry Harvey and a few of his friends and associates tossing out an idea which people can use or ignore, which leaves you in the position of complaining that the LLC, having been seen, is also willing to be heard, and to be at least a little creative when they are heard. I can easily picture any member of the LLC smiling and saying something like "guilty as charged, and working on being a little guiltier with each passing year".

Some complaints don't deserve to be taken seriously.
Here and there

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 pm

If it goes goes without saying, STFU.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

who's Larry

Postby jhnt » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:46 pm

Uh Larry?? who's Larry? Wait don't tell me. You mean this thing is not spontaneous. Next thing you'll try to tell me there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy. I don't wanna hear it. Just leave me alone so I can get nekkid and ride my bicycle around the playa.
jhnt

Burning Since: 2009

Postby klark44 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:29 pm

I love to here the whiners bitch as for me I think that everyone involved with the base organization should get payed for their work. the amount of work involved should be rewarded. with a living. if you don't like it start your own burn. and to the org. thank you for the chance to burn.
Klark Raetz is Fire and Mud
stability is an illusion of the moment
klark44

Postby BAS » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 am

The real question is: Will early money = more theme? Or, will a money theme = more Larry? And what if Larry is the theme? And what about an Early Larry Theme?
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby The CO » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:11 am

BAS, those are truly the questions that keep philosophers up at night.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

theme tune

Postby jhnt » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Hey is there any chance that we could come up with a theme tune while we are working on this. You know, when everyone is doing that "monkey chant thing" in center camp, the rest of us could hum the theme tune. How about one night at midnight the whole place hums the tune. I have more great ideas but it think it would be best if I stopped Right Now. Somebody just slap me, if you even think I might go any further with this. Ta ta ta dahhhhh.
jhnt

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 am

klark44 wrote:I love to here the whiners bitch as for me I think that everyone involved with the base organization should get payed for their work. the amount of work involved should be rewarded. with a living. if you don't like it start your own burn. and to the org. thank you for the chance to burn.

Right on.

This will be my first burn and a lot changed in my life in the plast couple of years, so "rite of passage" is apt for me.

I can't imagine how much it takes to set up a temporary city of 50,000 + people for a week with no trace, expecially with the bone heads who leave MOOP in their sites and trash on the side of the road (I assume it's the vast minority of people).

The people who build and plan this insane adventure for the rest of us should be compensated so they don't have to juggle paying rent AND putting this all together. If it were a one-day thing in Prospect Park in Brooklyn, then I would have a different opinion.

I know there is a spoiled rich kid element at Burning Man who don't really uinderstand working for a living (I get that from other photographers, it's a myth, we're not all independely wealthy).

[edit] But I imagine the majority of the Burners work for a living and sacrifice a little -- for a great reward -- to go, to buld theme camps, art installations, flame-throwing bikes and everything else.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and not have pre-concieved ideas of Burning Man, but I imagine it be pretty goddamn awesome.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby The CO » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:45 am

Super Evil Brian, based on that one post, I am presenting you with the prestigious "Sounds Like You Get It!" Award.

Especially the part where:
Super Evil Brian wrote:I'm trying to keep an open mind and not have pre-concieved ideas of Burning Man, but I imagine it be pretty goddamn awesome.

The prize comes with a large box of kudos. Enjoy & see you out there!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:11 pm

The CO wrote:Super Evil Brian, based on that one post, I am presenting you with the prestigious "Sounds Like You Get It!" Award.

Especially the part where:
Super Evil Brian wrote:I'm trying to keep an open mind and not have pre-concieved ideas of Burning Man, but I imagine it be pretty goddamn awesome.

The prize comes with a large box of kudos. Enjoy & see you out there!

Thanks. I read every word on the website and I'm getting as much as i can from the boards here.

I have a good time everywhere I go, always have good service in restaurants ... I'm still a judgemental and pompous bastard by my youthful exhuberance, curiosity and sense of adventure luckily trumps the lame stuff.

See you there, CO :)
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ETT » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:49 am

The theme is inspiring, it has inspired me as this will be my second year to create an art installation in order to make it more of right of passage for my friends and I. So FUCK YOU and stop bitching. Larry Harvey seems to be the mayor of the wildest city in the west, and who the FUCK are you? not the mayor of the wildest city in the west. Your envious, that's what you are.
ETT
ETT

Next

Return to 2011 Theme