DMV and Art Car Registration

DMV and Art Car Registration

Postby Oreally? » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:17 pm

When we registered our art car (after waiting 4 hours) we were told that our car needed a new paint job and that we should consider doing something more artsy. The car just got a new paint job, is supposed to be ghetto, and is not "pretty art." Not to mention we've been on the playa for 12 years with several versions...

Anyone have a similar experience?

You ain't artsier than me, with your golf cart dangles and its astro turf...
My other vehicle is a mutant.
Oreally?

Re: DMV and Art Car Registration

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 am

Oreally? wrote:When we registered our art car (after waiting 4 hours) we were told that our car needed a new paint job and that we should consider doing something more artsy. The car just got a new paint job, is supposed to be ghetto, and is not "pretty art." Not to mention we've been on the playa for 12 years with several versions...

You ain't artsier than me, with your golf cart dangles and its astro turf...

Art (cars) is in the eye of the beholder.. Yours and my pile in shit was not art to the resgistors beholding eye. In general people liked my crap. I'm happy the beholders eye got shit in it..
unjonharley

Photo please?

Postby factoid » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:08 am

Photo, please?

Otherwise, how can we pass judgment on whether you're artsy enough. ;P
factoid

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Swing City

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:24 am

so, this "paint job" is on the base vehicle itself, or on something that is covering the base vehicle?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:34 am

Never do anything that requires permission.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Query » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:49 am

[quote="Oreally?"]When we registered our art car (after waiting 4 hours) we were told that our car needed a new paint job and that we should consider doing something more artsy. The car just got a new paint job, is supposed to be ghetto, and is not "pretty art." Not to mention we've been on the playa for 12 years with several versions...

You ain't artsier than me, with your golf cart dangles and its astro turf...[/quote]

I would like to see a picture of your vehicle. Because if the DMV hotties and rejected it including the shift lead of the day, I bet others will be quick to slam it too.
Query

Postby big baby jesus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 pm

I am curious about what they let in and don't let in. I saw a giant RV pull in, towing a Polaris Ranger that seated 4. It was stock and looked like they just bought it. About an hour later it cruised by with a foam animal head mounted on the hood. I heared they inspected the vehicles for artisitc merit so it was hard to see how this was let in.
big baby jesus

Postby Query » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm

[quote="big baby jesus"]I am curious about what they let in and don't let in. I saw a giant RV pull in, towing a Polaris Ranger that seated 4. It was stock and looked like they just bought it. About an hour later it cruised by with a foam animal head mounted on the hood. I heared they inspected the vehicles for artisitc merit so it was hard to see how this was let in.[/quote]
You sure it was not a disabled person vehicle? There is no artistic requirement for them but commonly the drivers still decorate them a little.
Query

Postby big baby jesus » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:40 pm

It could have been, I'm not sure that it wasn't. I hope it was.
big baby jesus

Art car situation

Postby bradtem » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Right now the DMV rule is "radical mutation" so that people who look at it don't think of it as whatever it was (pickup truck, golf cart) decorated, but as something new.

The DMV's problem is that everybody wants to bring an art car. 1600 applied this year though I am told only about 800 went far enough in the process to get their invitation. The BLM wants a smaller number. On top of that hundreds of disabled vehicles, and staff and police/emergency.

And then there are the tons of vehicles who don't bother to get a licence. I understand the temptation, it's no fun to wait hours and sit in fear that you might not get one, making all the immense work of building and towing the vehicle up go to naught.

If you saw a truck with a horse head on it, that would either be somebody who didn't try for a licence or possibly a disabled/staff vehicle. Anything that really obviously looks like a stock vehicle is probably in that class.

Vehicles that are pretty good are tempted not to licence because since they look good, rangers and others are unlikely to check for one. At night it's even harder to get checked. If it were not for the BLM restrictions, I think a good system would be to allow you to not have a licence, but if a ranger or dmv worker pulls you over because you look like a non-mutant, then you have to go get inspected in a theoretically shorter line, with a 2nd hit being impound lot. Then only the borderline vehicles would need inspection.

I think the DMV crew works hard but there are ways they could do even better, which I think they want to do.

For those who have not been through it, the gate people don't decide what to let in. Rather there are 4 steps. First you submit an app to the DMV and get an invitation if they think your car is not obviously unmutated.

Second you get to the gate and you show the invitation. The gate staff follow a supposedly simple rule, is there an invitation? They don't judge the vehicles. However, sometimes they do go beyond that. For example in my camp there is a human powered giant mammoth. It does not need a licence because it is not motorized. However, sometimes the gate staff don't understand that (because it's very large) and demand an invite, and don't get the part about human powered. So the crew for that sometimes get an invite just to satisfy the gate staff.

Once towed in you need to go to the DMV in the day for photo/inspect, and then again at night for your night permit. (If you want only a night permit they make you go in the day for the first part.)
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:03 pm

The DMV work hard all spring and summer reviewing the applications. I know two hotties who didn't go last year and still spent all those hours in those on-line meetings discussing the mvs and which to support and why. Easy to second-guess if you don't actually know anything.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I found the application, registration, and, day and night licensing fairly straight forward.
I passed them all.........thankfully, being it was my first attempt at an MV.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby factoid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am

... Aaaaand ... we're back.

XyloVan is undergoing full mutation for 2011: http://www.xylovan.com/

A little bird in the DMV told me our application/design (140th in line after submission 6/28) looks fine and we should get official approval in about 2.5 weeks.

That's enough to get me off my sizeable ass to start building. This weekend.

I'll be damned if I sit out one more burn in a perfectly good art car in one ARTery-assigned spot in the deep playa where hardly anyone gets to use it.

Onward.
factoid

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:30 am

still looks like a ford econoline van to me.....................
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby factoid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:46 am

factoid

Re: Art car situation

Postby bennyd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:30 am

[quote="bradtem"]Right now the DMV rule is "radical mutation" so that people who look at it don't think of it as whatever it was (pickup truck, golf cart) decorated, but as something new.

The DMV's problem is that everybody wants to bring an art car. 1600 applied this year though I am told only about 800 went far enough in the process to get their invitation. The BLM wants a smaller number. On top of that hundreds of disabled vehicles, and staff and police/emergency.

And then there are the tons of vehicles who don't bother to get a licence. I understand the temptation, it's no fun to wait hours and sit in fear that you might not get one, making all the immense work of building and towing the vehicle up go to naught.

If you saw a truck with a horse head on it, that would either be somebody who didn't try for a licence or possibly a disabled/staff vehicle. Anything that really obviously looks like a stock vehicle is probably in that class.

Vehicles that are pretty good are tempted not to licence because since they look good, rangers and others are unlikely to check for one. At night it's even harder to get checked. If it were not for the BLM restrictions, I think a good system would be to allow you to not have a licence, but if a ranger or dmv worker pulls you over because you look like a non-mutant, then you have to go get inspected in a theoretically shorter line, with a 2nd hit being impound lot. Then only the borderline vehicles would need inspection.

I think the DMV crew works hard but there are ways they could do even better, which I think they want to do.

For those who have not been through it, the gate people don't decide what to let in. Rather there are 4 steps. First you submit an app to the DMV and get an invitation if they think your car is not obviously unmutated.

Second you get to the gate and you show the invitation. The gate staff follow a supposedly simple rule, is there an invitation? They don't judge the vehicles. However, sometimes they do go beyond that. For example in my camp there is a human powered giant mammoth. It does not need a licence because it is not motorized. However, sometimes the gate staff don't understand that (because it's very large) and demand an invite, and don't get the part about human powered. So the crew for that sometimes get an invite just to satisfy the gate staff.

Once towed in you need to go to the DMV in the day for photo/inspect, and then again at night for your night permit. (If you want only a night permit they make you go in the day for the first part.)[/quote]

Because it seems everyone wants to do an art car we decided to do something different. I haven't registered it yet but am thinking about a motorcycle all decked out in chrome. In my search I found [url=http://www.chromeworld.com]www.chromeworld.com[/url]. If anyone has any information would greatly appreciate it. Tell me what you think, can post pictures if anyone would like.
bennyd

Postby factoid » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:51 am

No worries. We're in:
http://www.xylovan.com/2011/07/were-goi ... rning-man/

Lots more construction photos and an in-progress video walkaround here:
http://www.xylovan.com/

Fingers to the bone here, but it's going to be fun.
factoid

Return to 2010 Art & Performance