PLEASE HELP! Late Mutant Vehicle Registration?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Mutant Vehicle Registration?

Postby Pryde » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:21 am

Question: Can we just bring the vehicle to the DMV and register it or will we be turned away because it was not pre-registered?
Pryde

PLEASE HELP! Late Mutant Vehicle Registration?

Postby Pryde » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:25 am

We have an 8 month pregnant girl who is coming to the Burn with our group. We want to rent and decorate a golf cart for her so she can get around. Its her fifth year in a row to the Burn. She is not sure if she will be able to get around on a tricycle this year due to the baby belly. We obviously missed the mutant vehicle registration window.

Question: Can we just bring the vehicle to the DMV and register it or will we be turned away because it was not pre-registered?

Its going to be a considerable investment in time, space and money to bring the cart with us and we cannot afford to do it if we are sure to be turned away. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What are my options? We need to know ASAP!

Many Thanks!
Rich
Pryde

Postby Sham » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:49 am

Is this for 2011? Unless this is your daily driver, and you intend to park it at your camp, I would leave it home this year. You can bring non motorized vehicles, standing scooters and now a bike with a motor assist. Unregistered mutant vehicles are still not allowed and registration closed months ago.
Sham

Postby SnowBlind » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:14 am

As Shambala said, preregistration is mandatory. Has been for 7 years or so. If you are towing it, it will be impounded at the gate. Even if you get it thru gate somehow, which is unlikely these days, DMV can't process it without the preregistration in their system.
SnowBlind

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:34 am

Have you contacted the dmv?

If not able to, try to get a state handicap permit.
Take it, or whatever paperwork you have to the dmv on the playa, and see what you can do.
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 am

An electric pedalec, or electric assist trike is allowed now for anyone.

Two or three wheels.
gyre

Postby jagermonster » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:54 am

well your not going to be able to just bring it and register it, thats for sure. they're a pain in the ass to deal with even when you do pre-register (at least the last two times i've done it).

Best bet would be to go with the suggestion above in getting a temporary handicap permit, then they can't deny your vehicle.
jagermonster

Postby cahlm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:23 am

gyre wrote:Have you contacted the dmv?

If not able to, try to get a state handicap permit.
Take it, or whatever paperwork you have to the dmv on the playa, and see what you can do.

We had to do this last year. They made us put the MV in D-Lot upon arrival then deal with the DMV once in the gate. It was a huuuuuuuge pain in the ass but we eventually got it through. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone as it was a major hassle. You think your cities DMV are strict? Try the BRC DMV...
cahlm

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Postby Token » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 am

Well here is some more useless inner duche from me just kuz I like you so much.

Your best bet us to get a front wheel for the trike with one of those 700W motor hubs and a few batteries.

It's going to expensive but that is usually the case with last minute items.

Another option is for her to go to the Playa Mobility camp and see if Powerchair can hook her up with an art cruise or a power chair loaner for an afternoon or somesuch.

Good Luck
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:35 am

jagermonster wrote:well your not going to be able to just bring it and register it, thats for sure. they're a pain in the ass to deal with even when you do pre-register (at least the last two times i've done it).

Best bet would be to go with the suggestion above in getting a temporary handicap permit, then they can't deny your vehicle.

Handicap registration closed July 31.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am

You need to pre-register for handicapped permits? That's some bullshit. I don't know about Nevada law but I'm pretty sure they couldn't get away with that in California. Being run from San Fransisco I would think they would know better. I'm guessing in California they couldn't even make you register a handicapped "vehicle". I hope that's not a strict rule.
MikeVDS

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:46 am

If what Crypto said is true, someone who's been denied or even been asked to register a motorized wheelchair who is legally handicapped should ask the ACLU to write a strongly worded letter from their lawyers. They'd probably do it for free and it might loosen up Burningman regulations on things that shouldn't be regulated.
MikeVDS

Postby robrob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:50 am

"8 months pregnant" is not a fucking handicap
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 am

MikeVDS wrote:If what Crypto said is true, someone who's been denied or even been asked to register a motorized wheelchair who is legally handicapped should ask the ACLU to write a strongly worded letter from their lawyers. They'd probably do it for free and it might loosen up Burningman regulations on things that shouldn't be regulated.

It's true, I went through the process.

For a vehicle, my van. No registration for a motorized wheelchair, unless it's one of the cupcakes or otherwise mutated.

All you need is to have one, and a way to get it up there.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MrMullen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 am

robrob wrote:"8 months pregnant" is not a fucking handicap

Because in a month it "cures" itself.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:10 am

Nothing is a handicap until it keeps you from doing what you want to do.

Temporary handicaps are recognized by the states and by the BRCDMV.
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:19 am

Powerchairs are permitted too, unless practices have changed.

The reason for the process is that a lot of people used to bring in wheelchairs for general transportation.
Though I have never run into it myself, I'm told that fake casts were even used.

I believe the pre-registration process is used to check permits against the identity of the person using them.
Obviously sudden injuries, etc have to be dealt with, but pre-registration makes it easier to deal with any issues.
gyre

Postby cahlm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:56 am

MikeVDS wrote:If what Crypto said is true...

Not entirely true. We had absolutely no pre-registration last year and we got BOTH of the MVs registered. Totally not recommended, but there is a slight chance it can be done. Enough of a chance to risk it? Nope.
cahlm

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:02 pm

cahlm wrote:

Not entirely true. We had absolutely no pre-registration last year and we got BOTH of the MVs registered. Totally not recommended, but there is a slight chance it can be done. Enough of a chance to risk it? Nope.

Were these registered as MVs?
Or with disability permit?
gyre

Postby AntiM » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 pm

Token wrote:Another option is for her to go to the Playa Mobility camp and see if Powerchair can hook her up with an art cruise or a power chair loaner for an afternoon or somesuch.

Highly unlikely she'd get a powerchair from him even if one was available. There are few operational chairs, as I understand it, their use is prioritized. I have the feeling that 8 months pregnant is going to be rock bottom. However, there are people who offer golfcart rides, that may be an option.

I could be completely full of shit.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby bluesbob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:52 pm

AntiM wrote:I could be completely full of shit.

Seems like the process is also. Long, tedious, intrusive, red tape.
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:33 pm

AntiM wrote:
Token wrote:Another option is for her to go to the Playa Mobility camp and see if Powerchair can hook her up with an art cruise or a power chair loaner for an afternoon or somesuch.

Highly unlikely she'd get a powerchair from him even if one was available. There are few operational chairs, as I understand it, their use is prioritized. I have the feeling that 8 months pregnant is going to be rock bottom. However, there are people who offer golfcart rides, that may be an option.

I could be completely full of shit.

Power chairs are completely rentable. Google "medical supplies" in your area. Then you'd just need to get it there. If you have a vehicle with a lift or a ramp, you're golden.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Make friends with the mutant vehicles that will be licensed and ride them during the event. Bring something nice and they might let you stay all night and ride around the city.
CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX

Postby cahlm » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 pm

gyre wrote:
cahlm wrote:

Were these registered as MVs?
Or with disability permit?

Disability permits. The precess IS too long to deal with IMHO.
cahlm

Postby jagermonster » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 pm

According to US Federal Laws, pregnancy is considered to be a temporary disability.
jagermonster

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 pm

CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX wrote:Make friends with the mutant vehicles that will be licensed and ride them during the event. Bring something nice and they might let you stay all night and ride around the city.

Yes... winner! Winner! This is your solution.

And I absolutely agree... being pregnant is NOT a handicap! It's a CHOICE she made and if she misses some stuff because of it, so be it. It sure as hell does not warrant bending the very rigid rules the rest of us have to abide by.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 pm

CaptainNemoOfTheNautilusX wrote:Make friends with the mutant vehicles that will be licensed and ride them during the event. Bring something nice and they might let you stay all night and ride around the city.

Yes... winner! Winner! This is your solution.

And I absolutely agree... being pregnant is NOT a handicap! It's a CHOICE she made and if she misses some stuff because of it, so be it. It sure as hell does not warrant bending the very rigid rules the rest of us have to abide by.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii Instead

Return to Transportation