All EL wire created equal?

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

All EL wire created equal?

Postby CorvusMechanicus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:49 am

So I've bought EL wire in the past, and my experiences have been mixed.

The biggest problem I've had is cheap battery compartments/ whatever the doohickey is that powers them.

Flaky connections, loose wires.

I am under the impression though that these failed units were due to buying cheap stuff, instead of the "real deal"

Anyone have experience with GOOD EL wire? If so, where did you buy it and what did you pay?

I am trying to shop around but don't want to go with a cheap price if it just means it is going to flake out like I've had in the past.
CorvusMechanicus

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 pm

http://www.coolneon.com/

They have all the basics, and everything you need for the real Lytek EL wire. However, they're Burners, and it's a week before Gate. I don't know what your chances of getting stuff in time is. I'd call them. They are by far your best bet for good EL.

http://www.extremeglow.com/

EG has lots of pre-made stuff, and can do rush shipping, which is probably your best bet at this point.

Real EL wire is not cheap. If you want cheap, get LED's. If you want something you can bend, get EL.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby teardropper » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I don't think you're going to change your mind when you get other stuff. Battery compartments on the drivers are kind of basic, not water proof and you have to improvise to attach stuff, like to the spokes. Zip ties are your friend. But they help you and their solutions are workable. I like Cool Neon 'cause they always have time to help. And they're Burners. And if you treat the stuff with some care, and like they tell you, it works very well.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Return to Power & Illumination