Skin seeking a tattoo artist

Skin seeking a tattoo artist

Postby Zeebs » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello all! I have a dream.. I have a wish... heh.

I am coming back to the Burn after what seems like forever, but is really just a year. This time, I would like to realize a dream I had last year. I am seeking a tattoo artist to put some ink in my skin AT the Burn. And yes, I know dust is everywhere and sterilization is tricky at best. I am willing to accept these risks, so please no lecture. This is not my first tattoo either, so no rants on that either plz.

So, I am seeking a tatt in the new manner, by ink gun, or in a more traditional manner of ink and pokey needle. If you are an artist who will be bringing either of these things, I would love to connect with you.

I am willing to offer tribute to your time and skill, just let me know your favorite booze or let me delight you in whatever way my mind can devise!

The design I have in mind is simple, no shading or intricate detail.

Thank you for your time!
Zeebs
"Wherever you are, BE there!"
Zeebs

Postby Token » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Is this a ploy to basically get a free tattoo?

Thats a pretty clever angle!

Good luck.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Zeebs » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:01 pm

Umm, not a free tattoo. That's not really the point. The point is the location, and the story on my skin. I suppose I could add that I would be willing to wire the artist money before the event, if that would be better for the artist. Just not during, with the cash-less idea and all...

You bring forth a good point tho, and I suppose I should have clarified. The location matters, and the experience.
Zeebs

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Meh, I could see that, just be cautious, make sure you have gauze nosticky bandages, etc, to keep your new art clean. One thing you DON'T want is to have a playa-dustified fracked up tat... or worse, an infection.

I'd love to get a tat at BRC as well... and I'm in the same boat, I know about the clenliness/sterilization angle, etc., I just wonder how many artists will be hauling a 'clave and whatnot out to keep their gear pristine? To me, that's the biggest part. I *know* people out there gift ink - I've seen a number of kewl new tats out there during the run of playa - just don't know the whos or whats...

Good luck (and if you hear of someone let me know)

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby willywhompa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:10 pm

watch out for the sun then, i have seen horrible things happen to fresh tattoos from the sun. I would highly think against this.
willywhompa

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:18 pm

You betcha, ergo my adviso about making sure you have ample supplies to keep it clean, covered, and bandaged (with the correct antiseptiik ointment)...

NOTHING fun about
gangrene from getting a playa tat gone bad...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby klondike_bar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:46 pm

youre gonna wind up with a big bandage shaped tanline at best, and a nasty, playafied infection at the likely worst
klondike_bar

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:06 pm

You should make ink from the playa. that way you have playa in yer skin FOREVER.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Zeebs » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:30 pm

I like the idea of playa with my ink. I suppose it would happen a little anyway, just from getting a tattoo at the Burn. I will bring bandages, thanks for the advice. I am not so worried about a funny tan. The outline of the bandage will fade, and the ink will remain to tell the story!
Zeebs

Postby Pink Daddy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:42 pm

I've seen this discussed before. No one thought it was a good idea to get a tattoo at Burning Man.

Have you ever received a minor cut while setting up your camp? I have. For the two weeks I was there, it didn't heal. There's something about the dust and the heat (no bandages stayed on very long) that just kept the wound open. Considering that a tattoo requires the constant application of ointment for the first week or so, this has to be one of the worst places to get one. Aside from the obvious, it's impossible to have a sanitary condition out there. Imagine being in the middle of receiving your tattoo, then a dust storm comes out of nowhere. Even if everything turns out alright and your arm doesn't rot off, there will be a major difference between the pre-dust tattoo and the post-dust tattoo.

Assuming that you don't care about any of the above and want to get one anyways, good luck finding a sober tattoo artist that has taken their equipment to the Burn, wants to sit down and focus for a couple hours on a tattoo, willing to do it for free (even in a gift economy), and also willing to possibly destroy their equipment in the process.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Moonlit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:54 pm

which reminds me - a few years a drunk guy wandered into our camp happily showed off his new tattoo to us. It was maybe a week after he'd gotten it - and it was infected. Pus and all. Disgusting, and not a good way to treat your new ink.
If you want a new tattoo at burning man and you know the risks, hey, it's your body - but you might end up with piece of crap tattoo that's lost its ink due to infection. Go ahead, make your tattoo artist cry.
And it's my opinion that any reputable, talented artist isn't going to be bringing tattoo equipment to the playa...
Moonlit

Re: Minor cuts

Postby Andy Wing » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:33 pm

I'll second Pink Daddy's experience. A few years ago I had a minor
gash on my ankle that took three weeks post Burn to fully heal.

Have you considered just doing body paint instead? There must be
a dozen camps (including my own, Videogasm, that offers body
painting to passers-by.)
Andy Wing

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: Videogasm/Snowflake Village

Postby BurningRando » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:17 pm

WussMaster 2010! Bulshitometer at max!

I've had dozens of cuts, scrapes, lacerations out there. Not one problem because I know how to deal and care for them.

So many heard mentality lemurs trying to tell you what not to do.

Find your artist, get it done! Your zen, your skin, your trip.

Fuck all the weasels and their personal insecurities!
BurningRando

Postby atomosk » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:31 pm

No one thought it was a good idea to get a tattoo at Burning Man.

It's really not a good idea to do anything out there. Let the man do something stupid but fulfilling.

In fact I suggest you get a tattoo saying "Safety Third," the unofficial motto of BM and let it get infected. It can be performance art :P

I hope you find your artist, do it much later in the week, like right before you leave, and do it inside an RV so no one has to take care of your potential injury.
atomosk

Postby BurningRando » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Find an artist, get the gear up, you can use my RV and Honda generator to get it done.

PM me before Friday.
BurningRando

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm

I used to be in the camp that said no way, don't do it. But having learned a whole lot more about tattoos I can't say that anymore. My advice is to be prepared to keep it clean. The fine folks at REMSA working the medical tent should not be called on to babysit your new body art because you didn't practice radical self reliance and brought the stuff to keep it super clean to prevent infection. Bring plenty of A&D or whatever aftercare products are recommended by your tattoo artist or that you have personal experience with. Remember to be prepared to protect it against UV / (excessive sunlight) as new ink and UV especially in the first 6 weeks is not a good combination. And if you haven't lined up an artist prior to the event when you get out there make damn sure about their equipment...new needles, the ink they're using, their state of mind and consciousness at the time you are getting it done...and in the end trust your instincts.

Beyond that once you get back from the playa how about posting about your experience and show us a picture of what you got done! That way all these naysayers can sit at their keyboards and be like damn, I wish I did that.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby BurningRando » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:48 am

Amen k5.

I'd also like to note that Core, a hook suspension troupe regularly does performances at the hot topic thunderdome and they do just fine.

Why? Because they know how to deal with dermal and subdermal punctures.
BurningRando

Postby Zeebs » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:05 pm

Thank you to the actual observations and cautious suggestions from people. Once again, I think I have an idea of the hazards associated with Burn tattoos, and I am not looking for a free tatt.

Any light on an actual tattoo artist using traditional or newer methods going to the Burn, and artist who would like to be compensated in gifts during the Burn (how about Canadian beer?) or cash before the Burn, I would be interested in speaking with.

Thanks again, guys.
Zeebs

Return to 2010 Art & Performance