How important to register your art?

How important to register your art?

Postby sattelite5812 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:06 am

Hi all, I hope everyone's preparations are going smoothly as we get ready to go home!

I have a question regarding how critical it is to register art brought to the playa. My friend and I have decided to bring the art installation we built for our regional burn earlier this summer, and this will be our first time taking art to BRC. I've been told to register with the Artery for placement, but I'm uncertain of the process and how difficult/easy it is to get placement in the desired area (the project is designed for a deep playa atmosphere, and a lot of the effects would be lost if set up in town). We've been going back and forth on whether the Artery is a necessary step, or if we should just bring it and set it up and see what happens. What might happen if we don't register? Removal? Relocation? Nothing at all?

I know several artists who bring installations are on this list, as well as perhaps people who work in the Artery, and I'm hoping someone might have some feedback that would clarify the purpose of registering vs. risk of not. Thanks in advance!
----------------------------------------------------------
It's the ones who've cracked that the light shines through
sattelite5812

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 am

One thing I noticed about the art that is not registered out there is that it tends to get peed on a lot more than the registered and placed stuff.
This is just something I noticed one night, I may or may not be wrong.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:24 am

I would strongly suggest you regester your art with the Artery. If you place it at random you may find you are too close to art that was registered and you will be asked to move it. Also, many art projects will be burned, some like Megatropolis, in a grand fashion. While you may appear to be a far enough distance from a large project, you could still be within their burn perimeter. The Artery is open now and will be open from 9:00 am till late afternoon, with a closed lunch/meeting break hour around 1:00 pm. It is a simple process and even if you plan to burn your art, the paper work will not take very long.

Good Luck,
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby sattelite5812 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:12 am

Thanks for the input, Dustdevil! Do you know whether it's difficult to get desired placing, if not too specific?

Also, you say the Artery IS open... on playa? We don't have early arrival passes. Is there an online form I can fill out, or should I just check in when we get there?
sattelite5812

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:13 am

At this point, just check in. If you want deep playa, you will get it. There's a lot of deep playa.

I had placed art one year, did the online registration and all. It really isn't hard. Just be sure you have a light it at night plan, solar lights will do. My placement was better than I had dreamed, my piece was called "Five Minutes After" and they placed it at ... five minutes after on the Man circle. Nifty. People peed in the little fenced area though.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:34 am

Everything you need to know is on the page below. Online reg closed on July 1st, but you will find a PDF you can print for the art application and just bring it in to the Artery with you.

http://forms.burningman.com/
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby StevenGoodman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:15 pm

Head to the Artery as soon as you can after you arrive. It is pretty simple, but the sooner you go the quicker it will be.

There is TONS of space out in the deep playa.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby sattelite5812 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Will do. Thanks so much for the info, everyone! Looks like the form is tailored to help with exactly such issues as placement and fire/safety.

Can't wait to bring our spaceship out to share! Look for it toward (hopefully) the 10:00 side of the deep playa :D
sattelite5812

Return to 2010 Art & Performance