Camping alone?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camping alone?

Postby RyliFynn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:22 am

I want to have the wildest experience possible at BM and I was wondering if its funner to join a group or camp solo. Are there certain groups that are more on the wild side than others?
RyliFynn

Postby velocirafter » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:15 am

hahaha, i love your enthusiasm!!!

I would say camp with a group, you'll instantly meet people and then you can try and figure out who are the wildest.

If you camp alone people might think you are an undercover....thats not the case is it?!?!?! :roll:
Catch the beats, embrace them and let them go!! )*(
velocirafter

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:06 am

More fun**
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Re: Camping alone?

Postby gyre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:15 am

RyliFynn wrote:I want to have the wildest experience possible at BM and I was wondering if its funner to join a group or camp solo. Are there certain groups that are more on the wild side than others?

There are variations of wild you've never heard of.
It's a huge range of choice.
Having the choice is the fun part.

Solo or not doesn't make that much difference.
gyre

if you are really trying to find a camp

Postby xhoosier » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Go around to the camps and check them out and then if one feels cool then ask if you can camp with them. Our camp is around 7:30 and Cairo.

have a good BM
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Re: if you are really trying to find a camp

Postby jkisha » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:29 pm

xhoosier wrote:Go around to the camps and check them out and then if one feels cool then ask if you can camp with them. Our camp is around 7:30 and Cairo.

have a good BM

Hmmm....not so sure about that one. At least not for me and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't invite a stranger to camp with us on the playa. They haven't paid dues, haven't contributed to the preparation, haven't joined any teams for volunteering at the cafe... But maybe there are camps that will...at BM it's hard telling what can happen, if you ask.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 pm

It's leaving it a bit late to try to find a camp now. I doubt you'll get anyone to recommend "wild camps" to you either. Your best bet at this point is to try to camp near people you think you'll like, then scout things out for next year. If you want to have a wild time, you will. You can take my word on this!
Magpie

Postby Magpie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Magpie wrote:It's leaving it a bit late to try to find a camp now. I doubt you'll get anyone to recommend "wild camps" to you either. Your best bet at this point is to try to camp near people you think you'll like, then scout things out for next year. If you want to have a wild time, you will. You can take my word on this!

Also check the what, where, when to find camps hosting events and activities that might meet your "wild" expectations! ;-)

* a word about the word "wild". What is wild for one person is a yawner for the next. My cousin is considered the wild one in our family. I don't speak of my exploits to my family, lest their ears melt and their eyes explode.
Magpie

Postby DrPeffer » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:26 pm

There's no such thing as "alone" at The Burn.

I mean...Maybe by the trash fence or something....
DrPeffer

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Unless your name is Dickie or something.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby gyre » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:31 pm

Magpie wrote:
Magpie wrote:It's leaving it a bit late to try to find a camp now. I doubt you'll get anyone to recommend "wild camps" to you either. Your best bet at this point is to try to camp near people you think you'll like, then scout things out for next year. If you want to have a wild time, you will. You can take my word on this!

Also check the what, where, when to find camps hosting events and activities that might meet your "wild" expectations! ;-)

* a word about the word "wild". What is wild for one person is a yawner for the next. My cousin is considered the wild one in our family. I don't speak of my exploits to my family, lest their ears melt and their eyes explode
Magpie, you're quoting yourself.
Can you do that?

I want my ears to melt.
gyre

Re: Camping alone?

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:05 am

RyliFynn wrote:I want to have the wildest experience possible at BM and I was wondering if its funner to join a group or camp solo. Are there certain groups that are more on the wild side than others?

Some of the wilder camps with bars won't want you until you are 21.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

I've done both

Postby epic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:28 pm

I've done both and neither is funner. If you're alone you'll meet more people wandering around. If you're with a fun group you'll have a great time. If you're with a lame group that hangs out at camp all day, or has a power tripping leader or drama you'll have a lame time or ditch them and still be alone.
If the camp is structured and expects a time and money commitment you'll have less freedom then camping alone.
I've heard some camp fees are $400 which is what I'm going to pay total for ticket and gas getting there. My food and beverages are $8/day.
If they do group meals and you arent on time you'll have to cook for yourself.
I go to BM to get away from work, not to be assigned duties.
I wouldn't camp with a group unless I had met most of them first. What did you decide?
epic

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:33 pm

Decide on what "wild" means to you.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Shelter & Camping