Looking for DJs

Looking for DJs

Postby Pink Daddy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 am

As soon as I thought about creating this thread, I immediately thought of the 'Lucy, daughter of the devil' Burning Man episode, where one of the characters says...

"We're looking for a DJ"

...and all of the guys around them raise their hands and say, "I'm a DJ!"

Well, our theme camp will be having live sound for the first time this year and we're also hosting a deep playa party on Wednesday night, but strangely enough I'm lacking in DJs. Now, before this thread gets flooded with interested people and my PM box is overloaded, let me explain a little bit more about how I want to do this...

Obviously, there are tons of DJs in the Burning Man community. There are good ones and there are, unfortunately, bad ones. So, since most of the people who will express interest in this will be people I don't know, having a mix that I can listen to online will be a definite bonus.

Also, since some DJs have shown to be unreliable, contacting me and submitting a mix will not guarantee you a DJ spot. You will need to come find me when you hit the playa, so that I know that you're still interested. But, even THEN your DJing spot won't be guaranteed. You'll need to find me a few hours before your set so that I know that you're still semi-conscious and at least mildly coherant to be able to perform.

Before I get flamed for the strict guidelines, please know that I've promoted events before and I've come across situations that have warranted the above stipulations. I've had DJs that have told me they've spun for years, only to show up and ask me how to crossfade the channels. I've had DJs that completely flaked on an event and left me high and dry. Finally, I've had DJs so completely wasted that they couldn't stand up.

Sooo... if you're ready to burn, enjoy playing music, and want to have fun with us, please get in contact with me!
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:36 am

sounds like a nightmare to let any random DJ off the street do a set. why dont you ask your DJ friends or people that know reputable artists?
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Pink Daddy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:42 am

Well, kind of a strange predicament. It wasn't exactly discovered until I decided to bring the sound gear this year. I live in San Diego, but I camp with my buddies from Sacramento. The camp itself isn't a sound camp and this is the first year that it will be taken out there. Almost all of my San Diego friends, that are DJs, are camping clear across the playa and haven't expressed interest in travelling the distance to spin. It's not a large system, but enough of a 'boom' to shake your booty. I'm tag-teaming with another friend for the deep playa party and THAT will have a good sound system. But, so far it's just me and him spinning and we need to cover about 6 hours.

There are great undiscovered DJs floating around in the wings, I'm hoping to stumble across some...
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Pink Daddy

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:05 am

You can also post in the "Stages Looking for Artists" thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby C187 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I don't see why anyone would flame your demands. They are reasonable and frankly normal when put into real word context. It's not like any DJ thats worked a organized event hasn't had to check in with a stage/event manager when arriving, then again half or hour before their set time.

Any way, I do have a question for you. I didn't see what type of sets you where looking for. Everyone may be a DJ after all, but we all don't spin the same shit. :roll:
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Pink Daddy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Well, that's the thing. I enjoy all types of music. My campmates are the same way. I'm the sound engineer for our art car and I'm always complimented on the variety of music that is played, not just the typical 'thump thump' 4-on-the-floor that is at every other sound camp on the Playa.

I think that this year will be an experiment on radical inclusion and a way for me to be able to sample what's out there and to network with DJs from around the world. So if the DJ knows what he's doing, and is playing music (not experimental sound projects, I.E. 4 minutes of white noise), then it really doesn't matter what they're playing.
Pink Daddy

Looking to secure DJ Time Slot out on the PLAYA!!!!

Postby ccesco212 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am

Hello Fellow Burners!
My name is Franccesco half of the Production DJ Duo from Miami FL known as SanedracHunter. We are currently looking to secure time slots out on the playa. Please feel free tocheck out our site and Music.

http://www.sanedrachunter.com

Please feel free to forward our site to whome ever you feel would enjoy it. Also if anyone happens to have any info on any camps looking for quality music please contact at

sanedrachunter@gmail.com

Once again Thank you in advance and we are looking forward to sharing our art with everyone out on the Playa.
Much Love
ccesco212

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 pm

I can't speak for everyone that you flame sprayed, but I'm not interested. You just cut and pasted the same post in multiple threads, typos and all. You didn't even care enough to make your posts individualized to the people looking for musicians. Did you even read their threads?
Pink Daddy

Postby bdeywoo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:40 pm

Any interest in my PM Pink Daddy?
bdeywoo

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm knee deep in Playa preps, plus I just jumped onboard for our regional decompression, so I'm letting my flooded PM box simmer for a bit.
Pink Daddy

Postby burnermollyk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:39 pm

seems worth a bike ride over to check it out, wheres it at?
burnermollyk

Postby jeremycurl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm down :) check your PM's
jeremycurl

Postby willywhompa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:28 pm

i love camps that act like they doing you a favor by letting you play. pink daddy you could be attracting bad djs by these hoops you make your djs jump through just to play. Doubt to many skilled producers want to have to come find you on the playa and then come back a couple hours before the set to check in again. want to have a dope sound camp? then assign someone to schedule dj for you. there are lots of sick producers/dj out there and you are probably scaring most away with this. when you aren't paying artists you truthfully cant be upset if it doesn't work out, i mean it is burning man. best of luck and i hope that your party goes off without any problems.
willywhompa

Postby Tara Byte! » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 am

Hello there! My name is actually not Tara.....but it is A$hley! Grand to make your E-quaintance, Pink. I have been up all night packing/preparing to hit the road and drive from NJ to inevitably the playa today. In my state of delirium, I just checked my facebook & a friend of mine had pm'd me a link to this thread. I am interested in playing @ your camp if you can accommodate me. I am happy to post a mix here for you to sample (although it is from about a year and a half ago & not the style of which I currently play). @ the very least, this will prove that I won't be trainwrecking my way through mixes. As far as current style of music I am playing, mostly dubstep & breaks, however, I will also be backing myself up with electro, d&b, tech-house/techno, & a few psytrance tracks for good measure. I DJ & promote all around the northeast and have been doing so for the last 5 years. I play out @ electronic music events (mostly raves/weeklies/fests) appx 2+ times a month so I promise you that I know my way around the faders. My only stipulation to playing, if permitted to do so, is that I need @ least pioneer cdj 400's or above.

Here is a link to my fb page & a mix on soundcloud if you are interested.

Please send me info on the whereabouts of your camp, ty!

info:

fb: http://www.facebook.com/Ashleywithadollarsign

sc: http://soundcloud.com/ashleydj

cheers!
Tara Byte!

Return to 2010 Art & Performance