rv free zone.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

rv free zone.

Postby jpstiffin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:15 am

I know we have the walk-in camping area. So don't tell me about that. I don't hate rvs or loud music or whatever. But every year, I throw up my humble tent and then without fail an old rv will pull up and set up camp. And it's alway the kind of rv that seems to need to run its ac 22 hours a day. I enjoy the desert. I don't want to live in an rv park. I could go to a KOA. It'd be a lot cheaper and they have showers. If we could have a few blocks or streets that would be rv limited or rv free that would be great. And free pie also. Just a thought.
jpstiffin

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:22 am

hey, what a great idea for a theme camp.
I might suggest, you form one, get placement, and, go for it.
Only allowing members with tents.
nice way to participate, and, make a spot for like minded.
Good for you for taking the reins and moving on this.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:30 am

ygmir wrote:hey, what a great idea for a theme camp.

I love that idea - mentioned it earlier to another topic, and would love to see you run with it. May even get a decent sized village allotment if it becomes a hot item!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:42 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
ygmir wrote:hey, what a great idea for a theme camp.

I love that idea - mentioned it earlier to another topic, and would love to see you run with it. May even get a decent sized village allotment if it becomes a hot item!

thanks BBS, I credit you with the initial idea. I knew I had seen something, somewhere, but, couldn't remember, for reference.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Playa Foot » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 am

There is a camp which does not allow generators or amplified music. Hushville at 4:00 and E. There is still time to register check the website.
While RV's and air conditioners are not specifically prohibited I doubt that an air conditioner can run very long on just battery power.
Playa Foot

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:00 am

I would like to see a zone that does not allow generators, but anything else goes. I just don't like the generators. I never understood why somebody would want to travel a long distance to a beautiful place in nature only to sit inside an RV and watch DVDs with the AC on. You can get that at home. If you're camping in nature, and somebody blasts their generator for obviously more than to top off their battery charge, just walk up to the perimeter of their camp, hold your hands over your ears, and stare at them. I don't think that tactic will do any good at Burning Man though.
Packoderm

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:05 am

Packoderm wrote:I would like to see a zone that does not allow generators, but anything else goes. I just don't like the generators. I never understood why somebody would want to travel a long distance to a beautiful place in nature only to sit inside an RV and watch DVDs with the AC on. You can get that at home. If you're camping in nature, and somebody blasts their generator for obviously more than to top off their battery charge, just walk up to the perimeter of their camp, hold your hands over your ears, and stare at them. I don't think that tactic will do any good at Burning Man though.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Do "rainbow" gatherings allow generators? maybe that'd be an option.

it's not for you to "understand" how or why anyone enjoys their "burn".
and, if you feel the need to judge them......well, that's on you.

yeah, "camping in nature", that's BRC...........

Although, I rarely run my generator, and, have it silenced besides, please, feel free to hold your hands over your ears, and stare.
I'll hope, someone stands next to you, and puts their hands over their eyes, then another covering their mouth...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 am

RVs make great wind breaks.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am

ygmir wrote:
Packoderm wrote:I would like to see a zone that does not allow generators, but anything else goes. I just don't like the generators. I never understood why somebody would want to travel a long distance to a beautiful place in nature only to sit inside an RV and watch DVDs with the AC on. You can get that at home. If you're camping in nature, and somebody blasts their generator for obviously more than to top off their battery charge, just walk up to the perimeter of their camp, hold your hands over your ears, and stare at them. I don't think that tactic will do any good at Burning Man though.

Although, I rarely run my generator, and, have it silenced besides, please, feel free to hold your hands over your ears, and stare.
I'll hope, someone stands next to you, and puts their hands over their eyes, then another covering their mouth...........

I don't mean at Burning Man. This will be my first visit to Burning man. I'm just a guest, and I know that noise is part of the experience, and I accept and embrace that. I was talking about when I have a great camp set up miles away from anybody, and somebody drives their RV right next to us and blasts the generator. When that happens, I just might feel like cutting wood with chainsaws at 6:30 the next morning.

[Edited to fix a punctuation error]
Packoderm

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:12 am

Packoderm wrote:
ygmir wrote:

I don't mean at Burning Man. This will be my first visit, I'm just a guest, and I know that noise is part of the experience. I was talking about when I have a great camp set up miles away from anybody, and somebody drives their RV right next to us and blasts the generator. When that happens, I just might feel like cutting wood with chainsaws at 6:30 the next morning.

hhmm., thanks, that makes more sense......thanks.

I guess I was confused by your posting it here, on a thread about burning man related to RV's..........

*tips hat*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Packoderm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:24 am

Packoderm wrote:I don't think that tactic will do any good at Burning Man though.

I thought that sentence made it apparent that I was separating Burning Man from other camping experiences. Anyway, if my writing is not clear, then it is my interest for it to be my burden to slow down, maybe do a bit of proofreading, and make sure that I am able to get a written point across. I started frequenting chat sites when I went back to college a few years ago to get my typing skills in shape. I still frequent them for the same reason plus to practice writing conventions. That's not the sole reason I frequent this site of course, but I still make an effort to try to write clearly. Thank you ygmir.

[Edited to disable HTML and BBCode]
Packoderm

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:29 am

Mod Note: Moved the topic as the Feature Requests pertains to features on the eplaya, not the event or the world in general.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:33 am

The post confused me too, as this is a Burning Man board. That's the context I put it in.

Hushville has three rules: no generators, no amplified music, and LNT. There's a LOT of registration this year, but that doesn't reserve a spot for you. It is first come, first served until we fill up. It isn't tents only, you'll see the odd van or trailer. However, no generators includes not running your vehicle for power. We tend to not have RVs because of the rules.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby kman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 am

AntiM wrote:The post confused me too, as this is a Burning Man board. That's the context I put it in.

Hushville has three rules: no generators, no amplified music, and LNT. There's a LOT of registration this year, but that doesn't reserve a spot for you. It is first come, first served until we fill up. It isn't tents only, you'll see the odd van or trailer. However, no generators includes not running your vehicle for power. We tend to not have RVs because of the rules.

Too late for this year, but I'd imagine the AEZ is generator-free as well. Solar and wind gennies, perhaps, but they're not as loud as internal combustion engine-based gennies.
kman

Postby Isotopia » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't want to live in an rv park. I could go to a KOA. It'd be a lot cheaper and they have showers. If we could have a few blocks or streets that would be rv limited or rv free that would be great. And free pie also. Just a thought.

Sorry hon, but like everyone else at the event you don't get to choose your neighbors. If you think about it your idea essentially penalizes a group of people for making a choice that you basically don't approve of.

And that's bullshit.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm

If members of my camp did not have generators and were not generous with me in the matter, my mobility and ability to see the burn, and even get around in my camp would be severely hampered.

If generators are ever banned at the event, I expect that everyone who agitated for their removal would sign up for a 4 hour shift of pushing me around. And they could not fcuking talk, unless I want to because I might not want to listen to hippie view points.

)I do realize that no one suggested that generators be banned at the event, but last year, I couldn't get around my camp under my own power, and I need those gennies. Plus someone put a sign on the top of the copy machine, where I could not see it, and I spent two minutes trying to get the copier to work, fcuck you very much, whoever did that.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Dood! What kind of camping do you do? I'm a climber, backpacker and sea kayaker. The places I go no way an RV can get to, let alone a generator. When I go to Burning Man...I'm in an RV, man!

We all make choices in life about how we want to live our lives. For Burning Man you can sit naked on the playa surrounded by your water bottles, or show up in a Rock Star $900,000 RV with faux fireplace...and everything in between.

BTW, I scored VIP tickets! Two hot meals and a prepared lunch daily, plus an assortment of cold beverages (did I mention the endless hot showers?).
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Maybe you should go to Burning Man and look around before you say what should be there.
There ARE places like that at Burning Man. Walk-In Camping is the extreme version, and AEZ is just about exactly what you're describing.

By the way, Burning Man isn't a nature camping trip. It's a big, loud, art festival with lights and fire and sound and general craziness. And it's fucking hot; many of us simply sleep during the day, using campers with A/C to make it possible, then party at night.[/i]
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Mosin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:06 pm

The Captain nails it once again. Who starts their genny just to top off a battery anyway? I suspect our old Onan 6.5kw rv genny needs to run about 1/2 hour just to regenerate the batt power it takes to start it up, and we use it almost exclusively to run a/c while sleeping during the day... sometimes up to 6 hours straight.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Packoderm » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:05 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:

Maybe you should go to Burning Man and look around before you say what should be there.
There ARE places like that at Burning Man. Walk-In Camping is the extreme version, and AEZ is just about exactly what you're describing.

By the way, Burning Man isn't a nature camping trip. It's a big, loud, art festival with lights and fire and sound and general craziness. And it's fucking hot; many of us simply sleep during the day, using campers with A/C to make it possible, then party at night.[/i]

You are all giving some interesting points of view, and I'll give it some consideration.
Packoderm

Postby bx1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Hmm.... Well aside from Burning Man the RV vs No RV "camping" debate as been going on a while. However it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

Personally, I like RVs. I think RVs are great. Camping is also great. However, they are two different things despite what anyone says. Anyone who thinks camping includes an RV doesn't get it. However, if (like me) you need an RV to make the not-so-camp-happy wifey happy; you can always use the RV to drive to a campsite and then proceed to camp outside the RV.

At any rate, I like the idea of a RV free zone at Burning Man, but definitely am against banning RVs completely (especially considering there some people in certain situations as already stated that really need them to even attend).
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872

bx1

yup

Postby gunsmith » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:02 pm

I go to b'man for the peace and quiet, ahhhh nature. 8)
gunsmith

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:20 pm

Mosin wrote: Who starts their genny just to top off a battery anyway? .

I do all the time.
It takes about ten hours to charge my batteries, so....since I am running my gennie anyhoot, I might as well have the AC on in my RV, right?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:07 am

Umm, Tek?

"fmvmusicvideo" is a pretty blatant spammer, not someone who needs to be taught how to use BBcode. Inactive thread, non-useful response & a link to something that has nothing to do with either the thread or Burning Man.

I've reported it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby AntiM » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:06 am

Eric wrote:Umm, Tek?

"fmvmusicvideo" is a pretty blatant spammer, not someone who needs to be taught how to use BBcode. Inactive thread, non-useful response & a link to something that has nothing to do with either the thread or Burning Man.

I've reported it.

And I deleted it, plus Tek's unfortunate helpful reposting of the link.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Re: rv free zone.

Postby Corwin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:02 am

Maybe we shouldn't ban RVs, maybe douchers with RVs could be decent human beings and not park their generator 2 inches from someones tent in a bigass open area around I street. But maybe its just sour grapes for not having an RV. One day when I have one I WILL LAUGH LOUDLY AS I TERRORIZE THOSE TENT CAMPING HIPPIES!
Corwin

Postby AntiM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:53 am

Hushville, Hushville, Hushville. Or Hushville's new idea of a Green Zone, which would place camps/villages which do not use internal combustion near each other.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Minxy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:15 am

On the other side of the issue there are the people who set up their tent and shade structure less than six feet away from your exposed generator. Upon seeing them setting up I quickly rushed out to point out the old generator that was five feet from their heads and warned them it will be running every day to power up our batteries and that it's annoyingly loud. They look around the open inside of our block and shrug and keep setting up.

They then spend the next 8 days bitching every day about how loud and annoying our generator is.

I usually put our evap pond right behind our RV in an attempt to keep clueless people from camping right next to the RV (we had someone literally 3 feet away two years ago, I measured it), but these folks ignored the completely wide open space around them and camped RIGHT NEXT TO US.

Can't win I guess?
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby MrMullen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:33 pm

As a man who was pushed by his wife to get an RV for this year's event, all I can say is: RV's ARE FUCKING RAD!!!!

We show up Sunday morning, tired and worn out from driving 16 hours. We just park somewhere and just go to sleep. You know, you can just pull up anywhere and just sleep. No pitching a tent or screwing around with a camp. After a nice 4 hour nap, I wake up and find out our camp placement, so I just drive the RV over there and don't wake up the wife. You know, no pulling up stakes and moving a camp. You just drive over to where you need to be without waking the wife, who is tired as hell. Next, we put the Monkey Hut up and set up the camp, which takes us a few hours. Of course, it's hot as hell on Sunday afternoon and the Wife and I are bitching at each other. Tired, plus lack of sleep, plus hot equals bitchy couple. So how do we fix this? We get in our RV, flip on the generator and AC and go to sleep for another couple of hours. After that we were much better. At night, it was easy to cook our meals since we had a refrigerator, a real stove and place to site that was not in the dust. At night, we sleep in real beds up and out of the dust and the noise. I love Burning Man like nothing else on this earth (Except Wife), but I need some where to sleep that is comfortable and not in the dust and noise. I don't want to bring my House or stay in a Hotel at Burning Man, but I just want access to AC when it is really HOT and clean nice bed at night. Showers and bathroom I could do without, but my wife can not. We're not tourists, we just don't want to live in dirt for a week.
--
Mr Mullen
MrMullen

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm

I myself prefer the happy medium between the extremes. I don't "rough it" merely with a dome tent, and I don't indulge in the opulent luxury of a fully-decked out RV.

I do camp in a tent, but I bring along my manservant, Higgenbotham, to attend to the dust and heat issues I encounter. At times he does seem to suffer badly, but it's an employers' market this decade.
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy