Ramadan

Postby burn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:07 am

ah yes thank you everyone for the input.

a list
1. he is going to take is very easy during the day, but i get to decided when and how much water he drinks. i'm going to be keeping a hawks eye on him. ramadan is not about putting yourself in danger. but he wants to do the most he can. hes got a lotta heart.

2. he can see boobies, but during the day he must deny himself sexual pleasures... no sex, no kissing, no jacking off!

3. we are bring lots of delicious dates that we got from a farm in saudi arabia to hand out during iftar (the sunset meal) and sahor (the meal at 1 am).

4. my boyfriend is obviously open minded enough to come to burning man. that should say something. interestingly enough this is the first ramadan that has fallen on the week of burning man and will be the last for another 15 or so years. in a city so huge and diverse, we were just trying to look out for other people keeping up a tradition they have. ramadan is all about family and improving oneself for the next year. does that not align with the burning man core values?
burn

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 pm

burn wrote:ah yes thank you everyone for the input.

a list
1. he is going to take is very easy during the day, but i get to decided when and how much water he drinks. i'm going to be keeping a hawks eye on him. ramadan is not about putting yourself in danger. but he wants to do the most he can. hes got a lotta heart.

2. he can see boobies, but during the day he must deny himself sexual pleasures... no sex, no kissing, no jacking off!

3. we are bring lots of delicious dates that we got from a farm in saudi arabia to hand out during iftar (the sunset meal) and sahor (the meal at 1 am).

4. my boyfriend is obviously open minded enough to come to burning man. that should say something. interestingly enough this is the first ramadan that has fallen on the week of burning man and will be the last for another 15 or so years. in a city so huge and diverse, we were just trying to look out for other people keeping up a tradition they have. ramadan is all about family and improving oneself for the next year. does that not align with the burning man core values?

Oh most definitely. Your boyfriend following his beliefs exemplafies self-expression and making clear cut plans radical self-reliance. Just want to make sure you understand, no one here thinks it's a BAD thing! We all simply wanted to offer what advice we could to make sure he has a fun and safe time. It sounds like you guys have a good handle on what to do, which is perfect.

I have two pieces of advice. First, make certain that if the fasting is making it difficult for him to keep his electrolytes up that you use a good electrolyte drink like Vitalyte (you can order it or find a store that sells it and mix it into the water). All that water and no food during the day can cause electrolyte imbalances which CAN (in some cases) lead to something as simple as muscle cramps or as serious as cardiac and nerological issues. Second, make sure he understands, accepts, and is alright with the fact that even the best laid plans sometimes go awry. He may, in the end, need to recognize his fast at a different time. And that's ok! :)

Have a wonderful time on playa...I will DEFINATELY come and find you guys for a date, that sounds heavenly on playa. I will be on the 3 o'clock side at APOKOLIPTICA, come say hi! :D I go by Muppet or MOD.

In essence, we just want him (and you) to be safe.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Both of you bone up on the symptoms of heat exaustion and heat stroke.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Janet Planet » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Salaam!

"I did a three week stay in Istambul during Ramadan.
It was a ghost town during the day, but at night, man the Turks know how to party.
Had a blast that year."

My observations too, from Mali, Burkina Faso, and Syria.

It seems to me Ramadan and Burning Man have something in common: Lie low all day in the shade if you can and, save your energy for the night's celebrations.

I'd love to share iftar with you!
Janet Planet

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Grandma Frum's Painful Candy

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 pm

will somebody please tell these people that Burning Man is Satan's Birthday Party, and it specifically states on the back of your ticket that Lucifer and his Minions et Al have Exclusive rights to all souls within the confines of the Burning Man Perimeter Fence as well as all of Reno and most of Sparks.

Jews, Christians and Muslins had better beware, it's his party, and he'll fry if he wants to.

buddhists?, well, they're not really a religion, i consider them more like Amway or Mary K, and hence can pass as a pagan without too much trouble.

But you better bet your bippy Beezelbub will be out there, tempting your boyfriend to beat of, eat, and drink ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

i'm afraid that he might have a lapse in faith, and leave the desert a changed man.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:11 pm

precisely why I attend......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby capjbadger » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:will somebody please tell these people that Burning Man is Satan's Birthday Party, and it specifically states on the back of your ticket that Lucifer and his Minions et Al have Exclusive rights to all souls within the confines of the Burning Man Perimeter Fence as well as all of Reno and most of Sparks.

Jews, Christians and Muslins had better beware, it's his party, and he'll fry if he wants to.

buddhists?, well, they're not really a religion, i consider them more like Amway or Mary K, and hence can pass as a pagan without too much trouble.

But you better bet your bippy Beezelbub will be out there, tempting your boyfriend to beat of, eat, and drink ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

i'm afraid that he might have a lapse in faith, and leave the desert a changed man.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And if Ol' Scratch is feeling REALLY orny, he'll sign your boy up with an Eplaya account and tempt him to post. :twisted:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 am

Just remember - people have been doing sabbaticals in the desert for millenia not to grow AWAY from God, but to grow Closer to God.

I wrote - and whacked - this whole long diatribe, but it's not really germain.

Most important - Take care of yourself. 100+ what Fishie said.

IF someone comes up and looks worried about you, you may not recognize you're in bad shape. And if you get told to go to Remsa - it's not breaking fast, it's saving your life.

Hydrate and Electrolyte. Healthy foods between Iftar and Dawn. Don't forget Wudu (or at least Tayammum) and Salat... It sounds silly, but time flashes on playa. Serious. It keeps you focused.

Remember people have been doing this (like I said) for Millenia, follow their wisdom and advice. And bring earplugs!!

Ma'a salama...
bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Previous

Return to 2010 Theme