Preparing To Be Nude

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:28 am

If you are even contemplating this question it would probably be best that you keep your clothes on.
burningquestions

Postby Sham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:41 am

The days are still very warm in northern Nevada and the nights are in the 60s. Check out the weather.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USNV0033
Sham

Speaking of nudity...

Postby nickn » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:16 am

Those who like being nude may want to drop in at the art model camp. We are hosting figure drawing sessions with male and female models (5-20 minute poses). Anyone can draw or pose; sign up to pose if you're curious, no experience necessary and all body types appreciated.

We do this in a shade structure in the AEZ (on the "F" side at 6:30, from noon to 3). Some drawing supplies will be available. And we'll have a bar right afterward.

Nick
nickn

Postby geekster » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:55 am

Shambala wrote:The days are still very warm in northern Nevada and the nights are in the 60s. Check out the weather.
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?location=USNV0033

Have a look at this calendar and look at the average temperatures toward the end of the month:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/air ... story.html

That is for Winnemucca, which isn't all that far from the playa "as the crow flies".
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Re: Speaking of nudity...

Postby likecats » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:43 pm

nickn wrote:Those who like being nude may want to drop in at the art model camp. We are hosting figure drawing sessions with male and female models (5-20 minute poses). Anyone can draw or pose; sign up to pose if you're curious, no experience necessary and all body types appreciated.

We do this in a shade structure in the AEZ (on the "F" side at 6:30, from noon to 3). Some drawing supplies will be available. And we'll have a bar right afterward.

Nick

I posed at one of your drawing sessions last time I was at BM. It was fun and I'll look for your camp again.
likecats

Postby nickn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:20 am

Great! Come by any time. What was your name?
nickn

Postby likecats » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:42 pm

nickn wrote:Great! Come by any time. What was your name?

Peter. I haven't been there since 2007 so I doubt anyone will remember me, but I've been an artists' model for years.
likecats

Postby nickn » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 pm

likecats wrote:
nickn wrote:Great! Come by any time. What was your name?

Peter. I haven't been there since 2007 so I doubt anyone will remember me, but I've been an artists' model for years.

OK, I started camping there in 2008, though I visited once or twice in '07. Welcome back.
nickn

Postby swampdog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:27 pm

I haven't checked this thread for awhile - a couple of pages ago Moonrise said that he was more worried about wearing feminine clothes than being nude. I LOVE wearing skirts! They're so comfortable and convenient, plus you get a nice breeze on the jewels. Just go to the thrift store and go to the ladies skirt section. Look for something XL or higher, especially with elastic. You don't even have to try them on, just hold them up and see if they look wide enough. And if you buy something you can't wear? Heh, it was only $5, right? If you get $5 worth of knowledge out of it you're even. Bring it out to the playa to give away, that's starting to look like a well spent $5.

Women get to wear colors that men can only put on a necktie. Our thrift store has some ladies indian clothes, I found something (Salwar?) that looks like MC Hammer pants. They're going to look SMASHING with the sequined vest my mom made for me. A friend said "The goal of men's clothing design in the US is to make men look as straight as possible". To hell with that. I'm totally straight, but I also like to be pretty.

Clothes can be fun again. Go with it!

As far as nude - I think I need to spend some nude time this year. I've been nude around camp but not long enough to be unselfconscious about it. Carcass wash for sure!
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby gyre » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 pm

When they ask you about your boundaries at the carcass wash, just say "No penetration."
gyre

Postby Sham » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

gyre wrote:When they ask you about your boundaries at the carcass wash, just say "No penetration."

My boundaries are "don't get my glasses wet"!
Sham

Re:

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Sham wrote:My boundaries are "don't get my glasses wet"!

Same here Sham...goes for those wonderful cooling misting sprays too 8)

This is a great positive body image thread, time to resurrect it. I've got some extra holiday calories to burn off, maybe a new tattoo to get decorated with, peenerweight gifts to weld, you know the common playa prep stuff for us naked types. :P
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Re: Preparing To Be Nude

Postby tatonka » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:22 am

I would like to try the naked way , still a little shy I guess . Most dont like their own bodies , I think im to thin . At last years burn I was 138lbs ,my kids friends tell me im ripped but I feel skinny. Doc's say being thin is good . Also at my age the ball sack at times hangs as low as my magic staff :lol:

Im the one in the middle , I stopped working out after last burn and have eaten many fattening foods since , have whole milk yogurt with choc icecream on top and cover that in rasberrys every night before bed. And I have gained 6 lbs :D

only time I think I look good naked is after I have a hard workout and your all pumped up . I look way bigger that way , but cant maintain it. As soon as I am relexed I am skinny again. A group of people nude would be best , so you feel like your not the only one .
As my late Mom use to tell my sis's " If ya show everything then the mystery is over" :wink:
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Elliot » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm

:D
Good bump, Tiahaar!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Thecatman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:54 pm

I don't think I'd want to be 138lbs again but I wish I could lose 20-25lbs. And keep it off. That'd put me at about 165. I'm a mere 5'6".
Personally, if I'm parading around the playa in my birthday suit and someone doesn't like my appearance, look the other way until I'm out of sight.
I always keep a pair of shorts and a T-shirt with me though.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby magicmarty » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:44 am

I'm always prepared.
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:24 am

When wearing your birthday suit, wrinkles are just fine as long as you have that freshly pressed look in your eyes. :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Agaton » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:31 am

I once had a visitor to my camp tell me I did not seem to be aware that I was naked. And that was only the second day on Playa. Ti’s that simple, folks.
Agaton

Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:16 am

Preparing to be nude? Out of all the things you do to get to BRC, this takes the least preparation. 8)
Sham

Postby Agaton » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:41 am

True! :lol:
But teh primary benefit is sheer comfort, to my mind.
Agaton

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm

tatonka wrote: Image

Such wonderful memories. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

See now this is why EVERYONE SHOULD COME TO THE EPLAYA MEET & GREET!!!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby magicmarty » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 am

You betcha!
"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties" - Erich Fromm

Stay firm but loose!

MagicMarty
magicmarty

Postby Spadge63 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:19 pm

This will be my 3rd burn and I've taken baby steps mentally and somewhat physically to going nude for a few hours. I started out wearing a kilt and last year I spent an entire day in fashionable boxer briefs and felt quite comfortable. I'm curious to see how it feels roaming around the playa naked. Will I feel exuberantly free or extremely self conscience? There's only one way to find out.
One of the things I love about Burning Man is that it gives me a good place to push my envelope past what I would never have imagined.
“And he didn't get tired or sleepy, for the beauty burned in him like fire.”
― John Steinbeck
Spadge63

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Agaton » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Spadge63 wrote:snip

One of the things I love about Burning Man is that it gives me a good place to push my envelope past what I would never have imagined.

By jove, I think he's got it!
Agaton

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy