Water bottles v. water bladders

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Postby teardropper » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 am

You can carry as much water in bottles as a bladder, but you definitely have to stop and drink. You're not as likely to sip, sip, sip like you should so you don't get thirsty. I've got a small REI pack that has a bladder. Holds all the essentials for a day on the playa. Or night. I like to have what I need with me and don't mind carrying it in the pack. Water bottles carry the water but a bladder makes it easy to keep a steady drink of water, all the time, without stopping, so you're more likely to drink.

Bladders, for me.

Oh, yes, and I have a spare bladder and water bottles as back up. Those bladders are not without their problems. And I like the bladders that have the hoses fixed to them, not the detachable ones. That is just another place for a leak.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
User avatar
teardropper
 
Posts: 1215
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:33 pm
Location: Oregon
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 am

teardropper wrote:You can carry as much water in bottles as a bladder, but you definitely have to stop and drink. You're not as likely to sip, sip, sip like you should so you don't get thirsty. I've got a small REI pack that has a bladder. Holds all the essentials for a day on the playa. Or night. I like to have what I need with me and don't mind carrying it in the pack. Water bottles carry the water but a bladder makes it easy to keep a steady drink of water, all the time, without stopping, so you're more likely to drink.

Bladders, for me.


The Platypus water "bottles" can have the hose attached to them.

And, again, I have zero problems with "remembering" to drink, so that's not an issue for me.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby baconqurlyq » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 am

I have a Camelbak that's made specifically for cyclists, so it has a neat padding system that ventilates the back. I've worn it on long, hot, sweaty rides where the sun was beating down on me for hours. I barely noticed it on my back.

I will, however, take my trusty Kleen Kanteen with me just in case, since I have no idea what system I'll like on the Playa. My Kanteen has a sports sipper and a sling bag that keeps my water a bit cool, so it's utterly dope.

My campmates and I hit REI last night. One of my campmates got a ton of Camelbak electrolyte tablets for all of us. I'm amazed I kept my spending down to reasonable levels in that place.
Popped the playa cherry!
User avatar
baconqurlyq
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Postby Elorrum » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah. REI... I actually went the other day and did a very thorough wander throughout the store. Very proud that I only bought some bike innertubes. what did I see? vargo titanium alcohol stove was the only thing I really wanted. I've made pepsi can stoves, and they are cool, but do not last. My Trangia brass alcohol stove is nice and quiet, and I like using it to boil water, or heat soup. something about titanium though strong light. so nice.

I don't like carrying water, and I'm not a good sipper. Never have been. This means that I find water lighter to carry when it's inside me already, and I gulp in order to stop having to carry the weight of it. I've carried one to two nalgenes with me in my bike basket, backpack, over shoulder. It's true that having to take it out of something (especially something you have to unzip,) sort of discourages drinking before thirst. Last year I tried the platypus in a belt pack arrangement around my waist with a sipping tube. It felt floppy and the water got warm. In a backpack, I prefer the bladder. This year I have arranged a couple of bike frame bottle holders and think that will make drinking more continuously easier. This is the game that moves as you play.
At this time, I'm coming down more on the water bottle side.
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 4479
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby big baby jesus » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:45 pm

"Think I'll do it the low tech way - one bottle in the bike holder and use a carabineer to attach the other to my belt."

I've done that, the swinging bottle got really annoying.

That must be a chick thang.

Men got junk swinging left and right all the time ... well, at least I do. :)

I just don't see what the problem be here."

I hate when I sit on my water bottles...
User avatar
big baby jesus
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Truckee

Postby C.f.M. » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 am

big baby jesus wrote:"Think I'll do it the low tech way - one bottle in the bike holder and use a carabineer to attach the other to my belt."

I've done that, the swinging bottle got really annoying.

That must be a chick thang.

Men got junk swinging left and right all the time ... well, at least I do. :)

I just don't see what the problem be here."

I hate when I sit on my water bottles...


A 1L water bottle, I'm pretty sure none of you "men" are used to that girth, length, hardness (plastic, aluminum, etc.) and weight swinging around. :roll:
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby MistressSybs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:01 am

C.f.M. wrote:
big baby jesus wrote:"Think I'll do it the low tech way - one bottle in the bike holder and use a carabineer to attach the other to my belt."

I've done that, the swinging bottle got really annoying.

That must be a chick thang.

Men got junk swinging left and right all the time ... well, at least I do. :)

I just don't see what the problem be here."

I hate when I sit on my water bottles...


A 1L water bottle, I'm pretty sure none of you "men" are used to that girth, length, hardness (plastic, aluminum, etc.) and weight swinging around. :roll:


Although they all would like to think so... LOL
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
User avatar
MistressSybs
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:56 pm
Location: Texas

Postby big baby jesus » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 am

"...I hate when I sit on my water bottles..."

"A 1L water bottle, I'm pretty sure none of you "men" are used to that girth, length, hardness (plastic, aluminum, etc.) and weight swinging around."

Quite right. Good God, that sounds uncomfortable.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure if I'd want to meet the woman that's used to that "girth, length, hardness (plastic, aluminum, etc.) and weight..."
User avatar
big baby jesus
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: Truckee

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:39 pm

If you'll be so kind to indulge another dumbass question, is there any significant performance difference between stainless and aluminum bottles? I'll only be using them for water, Vitelyte will go in plastic.

TIA
User avatar
Sic Pup
 
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:51 am
Location: Location, Location

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Stainless is heavier.
Aluminum has been suggested as a possible factor in Alzheimer's.
You want to get food grade stainless--12/20 is it? Cheaper grade will cause water to end up tasting a little metallic if you keep the water in if for a day or two. For the most part you are only likely to find the better stuff; the friend who told me this about her bottle had bought it cheap in oakland chinatown.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37437
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Postby thk127 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:21 am

A Bota Bag/ Water Bladder is the best! It's easy to carry and you can always decorate them with extra leather or cloth. They can easily become apart of a costume. The leather ones keep you liquid cooler than any plastic bottle.

I use to work for a guy that made them from scratch. It's extremely easy to make your own and i highly recommend it because durability is key when using a bota bag. I can't even tell you how many times i have seen store bought ones pop or leak after one use.

TIP: Don't fill bota bags with carbonated liquids (unless your pulling a prank LOL) :P
-=First Burning Man 2010=-
User avatar
thk127
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:23 am
Location: Sothern California

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:36 am

Swapped the 3L Camelbak for two Playtpus 1L bottles today, already can tell I'm going to be happier with this. Less cumbersome, more versatile, will be working on the belt this afternoon and have pics on the blog (in my signature) Wednesday.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby kman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 am

illy dilly wrote:
kman wrote:Pass on the pretty civilian models, and go for the military-issue packs that CamelBak makes.
Image

So then were can you get the Military bladders from? My local Army surplus has a lot, and they have some of the camo military CamelBak bags, but not just the bladders.
I've taken and converted a black triangle or one shoulder back pack I've had and loved for years into a camel bak (added some El wire too). I got just the standard blue bladder from my local army surplus. Were can I get the high strength bag from?

Lots of places online, I've never seen them retail.

U.S. Cavalry carries darn near everything military:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?p ... CatID=1604

But you can often find cheaper places:

http://www.code3tactical.com/camelbak-o ... rvoir.aspx

http://www.baumshoe.com/servlet/the-404 ... %A2/Detail

Another option to note, btw, is this bag:

http://www.botachtactical.com/camelbakstorm.html

It's only a couple of dollars more than a replacement bladder (or even the less... note the 10% off coupon code), so it's like getting a replacement bladder with a free carrying bag to use in alternate situations. :) I've used this bag to attach to the exterior of a bigger backpack, when there isn't room inside. Works great.
User avatar
kman
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

Postby illy dilly » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:36 am

kman wrote:Another option to note, btw, is this bag:

http://www.botachtactical.com/camelbakstorm.html

It's only a couple of dollars more than a replacement bladder (or even the less... note the 10% off coupon code), so it's like getting a replacement bladder with a free carrying bag to use in alternate situations. :) I've used this bag to attach to the exterior of a bigger backpack, when there isn't room inside. Works great.

Wish I had seen that with enough time to order, ship, and receive. My bladder is just in my bag, relatively unprotected. The nylon sleeve would have made me feel way more comfortable.
Damn, now there's one more project to start and complete in the next 12 days.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
User avatar
illy dilly
 
Posts: 4798
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:02 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:27 am

Well, the weight distribution is much, much more comfortable with the two bottles on each side. However, seeing it broken down, 2L ain't shit! I could easily drink 1L all at once; no wonder I ran out of water all the time.

Aside from carrying 4+ liters around at all times, though, not really any way to avoid it.

I'm hoping though, that since I'll be using electrolytes this year, I won't be so gd THIRSTY like I was, last year.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:41 am

Or you can slam a liter before you leave camp then fill up as you leave...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
User avatar
Fire_Moose
 
Posts: 2486
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 am
Location: Scottsdale, AZ

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 am

Fire_Moose wrote:Or you can slam a liter before you leave camp then fill up as you leave...


Yeah, I keep a whole seperate water bottle (I got a Firefly for my birthday) @ camp, for drinking around there/in my tent.
User avatar
C.f.M.
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm
Burning Since: 2009

Postby kman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:46 am

C.f.M. wrote:Well, the weight distribution is much, much more comfortable with the two bottles on each side. However, seeing it broken down, 2L ain't shit! I could easily drink 1L all at once; no wonder I ran out of water all the time.

Aside from carrying 4+ liters around at all times, though, not really any way to avoid it.

I'm hoping though, that since I'll be using electrolytes this year, I won't be so gd THIRSTY like I was, last year.


And that's exactly why I always carry a 3l CamelBak plus a 1l drinking bottle in the backpack.

BRC is too damn big to leave camp with any less, for my needs, at least.

Reminds me of the joke about why the Irish never managed to take over the world: Beer glasses only hold a pint at a time! LOL
User avatar
kman
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

Previous

Return to Food & Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests