Roots Society and Opulent Temple Pissed About Placement?

Postby dj_john69 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Oh yeah, i believe i read that Nexus and Disorient got the corners this year. They better bring it big time or go home.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Token » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:51 pm

dj_john69 wrote:
alt12 wrote:
Token wrote:
Plus, El Circo & Do Labs are decades ahead and infinitely better than RS or OT.
|o

Problem is with those two that then you have to deal with the whole douchebag socal burner set.... (no offense to the many non-douchy socal burners, but I'm sure you know what I mean...)

Well said.

Oh tell me about it. Millitant PLUR Ketamine raver fucks.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby The Chinese » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:13 pm

alt12 wrote:
The Chinese wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:
Eric wrote:Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, original will have a shot. Not holding my breath.

Live music, perhaps?

My Goal is to someday Bring Transmorphagon to a Corner over the next few years - Live Music. I would LOVE to see that, even if it wasn't us... One corner for the Thump, one for the live... Electronic Live is OK- Imagine if you landed something like Chemical/Root alongside a RATM kind of thing...I think the place would go CRAZY!!!!!

Chino

Problem with live music on the playa is its very expensive to pull off. A full band, with instruments, equipment, PA, etc. isn't easy to get out there (flights, renting van, etc.). And you may get one guy in the group whose really psyched but getting the whole band to agree to it is another thing. In addition, musicians are usually struggling financially. Except for the very popular groups, money is always tight and they're usually going to want to get paid (unless their already on tour and passing through the area, etc.).... The whole operation is just a lot more difficult than flying one DJ with a laptop out here.... Which is why you don't see that many live acts out there.

I Completely agree, and that's our gift to BM/Bands- We bring the stage, The Backline, the PA. I agree it's really hard, and expensive. To go to the next level, I would have to fundraise in a serious manner to get enough sound & Lights. I mean guys bring 50,000watt rigs out there...I doubt many are owned outright. But I can def see doing it, maybe as my crowing achievement, after which I would walk away. But man, would it be fun. I would just get off on doing it on that scale.

Chino
The Biggest Distraction... Funk On the Playa, Live uncut Funk, TheBomb, Comin at you from the Transmorphogon, 500 Kilowatts of Pure Funk Power. You Will be groovin'. So when yer sick of the Boomp Boomp of the Burn, come down to the T-Dome and Learn....
The Chinese

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:58 pm

wow, talk about tempest in a teapot.

Number One, i was merely speculating as to why one of the Most Integral Founding Members would want to end Root Society AS WE NOW KNOW IT...

this person has recently been blessed with the fortunate news of Fatherhood.

It seems quite logical and straightforward to assume that this might play a role in his decision.

that is all....

my god, it's worse than high school.

as far as entitlement goes, EVERY BODY AT ROOT SOCIETY WORKS THEIR ASS OFF, we do that because thats our gift to the citizens of our fair city.

we like doing it, it's fun, and we do it well.

whatever syd's problem with the BMORG is Syd's Problem, not ours.

We have a HUGE Lineup, New Stages and a Massive Fucking Video Wall so the charges of getting stale i hope dont apply to us.

we've always been avis, and hence, we've always tried harder.

well, this year, we are going to RIP THIS MUTHA A NEW ONE

and guess what, No Apologies, No Regrets.

Crystal Method is not a fucking Rumor. Friday Night we Drop The Nagasaki of Sound.

I guess the Truth Hertz...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:19 pm

A blessing on your House, mozeltov, mozeltov...

Change is good. A break can breath new life into an old project. Moving to a new place can be hard, but bring amazing opportunity.

Often first reactions aren't telling of final feelings.

See you in the dust.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby curiousgnate » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:22 pm

the small funk clubs name i never knew. it was there in 08, it was an inside created to be like a saloon and was at about 730 or 8 and esplanade, you could go on the roof, and the dance floor could fit like a hundred people. the bartenders were crazy nice and super hot. i went there at least once every night and usually ended up dancin there for at least 3 hours. they played everything from 80s and 90s to funk and alternative. they fucking rocked!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Box Burner » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:04 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, talk about tempest in a teapot.

Number One, i was merely speculating as to why one of the Most Integral Founding Members would want to end Root Society AS WE NOW KNOW IT...

It seems quite logical and straightforward to assume that this might play a role in his decision.

that is all....

as far as entitlement goes, EVERY BODY AT ROOT SOCIETY WORKS THEIR ASS OFF, we do that because thats our gift to the citizens of our fair city.

We have a HUGE Lineup, New Stages and a Massive Fucking Video Wall so the charges of getting stale i hope dont apply to us.

Crystal Method is not a fucking Rumor. Friday Night we Drop The Nagasaki of Sound.

Simon you rock. I googled mozeltov when you posted it and was later a bit disappointed when someone said that RS was leaving for the money to be had elswhere. But somehow that did not fit the word Mazaltov. At least in the way that I felt it would be most likely used. So now I get to the end of the thread and I am truly delighted. Mozeltov indeed. Huzzah and congrats! I will be the first to admit that big sound camps are not my cup of tea. But I do appreciate what you guys do. Rock on, or funk on or oonsa oonsa oonsa on. You'll be great wherever you are.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 am

alt12 wrote:Live music, perhaps?
.. The whole operation is just a lot more difficult than flying one DJ with a laptop out here....

a DJ & laptop is ART?
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 am

EspressoDude wrote:a DJ & laptop is ART?

Depends on the DJ and how they bend the music.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby MistressSybs » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:

Live PA or dj set? =)
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:52 am

This rumor serves only to disguise the truly disturbing reality that First Camp is pissed about its placement.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:41 pm

[quote="alt12"][quote="The Chinese"][quote="Ugly Dougly"][quote="Eric"]Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, [i]original[/i] will have a shot. Not holding my breath.[/quote]

Live music, perhaps?[/quote]

My Goal is to someday Bring Transmorphagon to a Corner over the next few years - Live Music. I would LOVE to see that, even if it wasn't us... One corner for the Thump, one for the live... Electronic Live is OK- Imagine if you landed something like Chemical/Root alongside a RATM kind of thing...I think the place would go CRAZY!!!!!

Chino[/quote]

Problem with live music on the playa is its very expensive to pull off. A full band, with instruments, equipment, PA, etc. isn't easy to get out there (flights, renting van, etc.). And you may get one guy in the group whose really psyched but getting the whole band to agree to it is another thing. In addition, musicians are usually struggling financially. Except for the very popular groups, money is always tight and they're usually going to want to get paid (unless their already on tour and passing through the area, etc.).... The whole operation is just a lot more difficult than flying one DJ with a laptop out here.... Which is why you don't see that many live acts out there.[/quote]
As a musician that has played out there several times, the biggest issue is equipment. Unless you are so rich you can replace you $3000 guitar, you are going to bring the $400 Strat, keyboards get really fucked up by the dust. I bring cheap Casio's and used a sound module enclosed in tupperware but it isn't nearly as nice as a Hammond and Leslie.
Transmorphagon has a great location at 3 and the Esplanade. Check out the FUNK there! We sure will.
Galaxo Magic

Postby dj_john69 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:32 pm

Getting closer !!! :D
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby geekster » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am

We have had bluegrass on the playa every year for the past 5 years. It is not expensive to pull off. You do it by providing a venue for the talent. They bring their own stuff. Each musician bears the expense of getting their instrument to the playa and caring for it.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby marcgorcey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:52 pm

geekster wrote:We have had bluegrass on the playa every year for the past 5 years. It is not expensive to pull off. You do it by providing a venue for the talent. They bring their own stuff. Each musician bears the expense of getting their instrument to the playa and caring for it.

hey geekster - sorry - which camp ?
marcgorcey

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:20 pm

I forgot the name, I think it's 4:30 and Athens. There's a thread in the 2010 Art and Performance forum.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby marcgorcey » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 pm

Yep... Iron Rose... I forgot...
marcgorcey

Postby geekster » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 am

But it is only a one-time event, it isn't 24x7 all week. See, that's the thing, I suppose. It is easy to provide recorded music all week. We aren't "bluegrass camp" but we set aside a couple of hours for it during the week. But that also gives OTHER camps in other parts of the city a chance to have a bluegrass event if they want to at a different time on a different day. The artists are out there, all you have to do is decide to provide a space for them to get together.

By encouraging people to bring instruments to the playa we are giving others the opportunity to enjoy them in other places at other times because someone who loves to play won't limit their playing to only our event. Who knows, you might suddenly find fiddles and banjos appearing out of nowhere right outside your camp.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 am

I am not a musician, but it seems to me that the burn offers amazing opportunities to randomly meet other musicians and play with them in an informal matter. At best, this could result in a sort of "master class" effect. I don't like jazz (or it's more accurate to say that I don't get it) but as I understand things there were opportunities to play together as musicians without playing for a paying audience, and that thsi was good for the music and musicians.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 am

Golden Cafe at 7:30 and Esplanade, has, in year's past, provided instruments and a stage for musicians to use in improvisational jams. Saw some incredibly good stuff there last year.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby BurNER4life » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 pm

*Kneeling and bowing to SIMON*

"To do whatever you tell me drill sergeant...."

I'll be out early and am going to thoroughly enjoy watching RS come and go....
Kamp Khufu 7:30 and I

FREE MUSTACHE RIDES!
BurNER4life

Postby Generic Anonymity » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Doesn't seem like such a big deal to be moved two blocks. I'm with Root Society - they've helped my club in college make it out to the playa twice, and we'll be out there with them again this year.

Maybe the, "im curious, will any of you make the trek 2 streets over to come party with us??" was just intended as a bit of silliness.
They didn't say, "the org shucked us back 2 blocks and you better hang out with us or we won't feel appreciated," but using the quote as some sort of evidence that they're upset sure makes it seem like it was read that way.
My messenger in disguise
Makes up for such short goodbyes
You can't come home again
Each time it's different
And the yards around your feet
Fall away while you're asleep
Generic Anonymity

Postby Sail Man » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Eric wrote:Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, original will have a shot. Not holding my breath.

Live music, perhaps?

Opera!
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Sail Man » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:wow, talk about tempest in a teapot.

that is all....

Good right hook Simon :lol: The OP is going down.....

http://thecrystalmethod.com/index.php/tour/

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Jordan 10-E » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 pm

This is a good example of how rumors get started.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Token » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Aw shucks, it's only a DJ set by TCM, not a full band tour.

I demand a refund!
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:04 am

rumor has it that any unhappy Burners will be re-imbursed or refunded in LarryBills (tm) which are good for one free coffee at center camp or a blow job at first camp.*

*actual cash value of the LarryBills is equivalent to 1/20 th of a ravioli at Bruno's.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:07 am

Token wrote:Aw shucks, it's only a DJ set by TCM, not a full band tour.

I demand a refund!

contrary to popular belief amongst some, DJ's are actually people too, they have feelings, you cut them, and they bleed like you and I.

they just dont have belly buttons.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:09 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
Token wrote:Aw shucks, it's only a DJ set by TCM, not a full band tour.

I demand a refund!

contrary to popular belief amongst some, DJ's are actually people too, they have feelings, you cut them, and they bleed like you and I.

they just dont have belly buttons.

I thought their belly buttons were just above their asses, where their tails were attached...........dang, suckered in by another myth.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:59 am

eat me, drink me.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa