Easier to transport stretch yurt

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Postby owstopit » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey Burners!

I'm on the verge of throwing together a Hexayurt this year, but the idea of lugging around an 8x4 foot package seems tricky! I am wondering if I could build the 6 foot stretch hexayurt using two 4x4 foot boards for each wall without compromising the integrity of the structure. Anyway have experience with this? Will this make the yurt far less stable and wind resistant? Pretty much the only thing keeping me from building one right now is the difficulty of transporting an 8 foot long package! Help would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Neal
owstopit

Postby sstrak » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. The 2 long side panels will have to be cut in half as well as the long roof panels.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Any suggestions on how to best reinforce those panels?
sstrak

Postby Token » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:37 pm

It looks like you guys are pioneers in the field.

Try it and let everyone know what happens.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby whaleboy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:52 pm

have you checked out bjurts?
My God, it's full of Stars!
whaleboy

Postby sstrak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:37 am

BJurts are interesting but provide none of the benefits of a Hexayurt: heat insulation, noise insulation, dust-proof, etc.
sstrak

Postby sstrak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:41 am

Reinforcement:

If the long walls and ceiling pieces are in danger of buckling they should be reinforced (beyond additional tape)

What can be done to strengthen these seems without adding additional weight?
sstrak

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:50 pm

sstrak wrote:Reinforcement:

If the long walls and ceiling pieces are in danger of buckling they should be reinforced (beyond additional tape)

What can be done to strengthen these seems without adding additional weight?

Angle aluminum?
Furring strips?
Extra burners? ;)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

6 foot stretch hexayurt mod

Postby sstrak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Angle aluminum?
Furring strips?
Extra burners? Wink
-Badger

-----

Good ideas. The angle aluminum won't work because we're trying to make two 4'x4' pieces of foam board into one 4'x8' piece. Maybe a flat piece of aluminum or 2 perpendicular to the seam and taped down? maybe something lighter or stiffer? wood? plastic?

I'm not a construction expert; aren't furring strips normally 2"x4"s? May be a bit heavy for the roof panels being that the structure is purely made of foam core. Same issue with the Burners. Unless you by furring strips you meant the mink type ;)
sstrak

Re: 6 foot stretch hexayurt mod

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:05 pm

sstrak wrote:
Angle aluminum?
Furring strips?
Extra burners? Wink
-Badger

-----

Good ideas. The angle aluminum won't work because we're trying to make two 4'x4' pieces of foam board into one 4'x8' piece. Maybe a flat piece of aluminum or 2 perpendicular to the seam and taped down? maybe something lighter or stiffer? wood? plastic?

I'm not a construction expert; aren't furring strips normally 2"x4"s? May be a bit heavy for the roof panels being that the structure is purely made of foam core. Same issue with the Burners. Unless you by furring strips you meant the mink type ;)

A flat piece of aluminum will just flex. The L stiffens it up.

The furring strips are not 2"x"4 (1.5"x3.5") but are 2 1/2"x3/4".
Pretty lightweight but stiff enough to keep the junction in your roof from bending in, specially if you were to run it perpendicular to the seam and set it on edge. (easier to bed it one way than the other)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby sstrak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Ah, I think I catch your drift. I plan to buy everything and build it on Friday. I'll let you know how it goes.
sstrak

Postby sstrak » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:56 am

Got the R-Max today. Haven't built it yet but I can tell you that the 2" R-Max
may be more trouble than it's worth. 7 pieces x 2" x double up (cut in half)
=28". That is one hell of a thick brick to stick on top of your car. If I had a
truck it would be no problem. Note: get a 48" drywall square (metal straight
edge) and a long knife. I hope to do a mock build on Sunday.
sstrak

Postby sstrak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:08 pm

OK, 2" R-Max is a lot of work. You need to cut through it very straight. It insulates like crazy. Test build was a success. Pics to come.

And no, cutting the 8 foot sheets down to 4'x4' squares did not hurt at all.
sstrak

I'm back!

Postby owstopit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:24 am

Well, I tried using the smaller pieces and was able to attach the package to the top of my car! I used 10 4x4 Isosceles triangle pieces for the roof, and 8 4x4 square pieces for the walls. Used the heavy duty 6" wide Bi-Directional Filament Tape.

The yurt held up amazingly well in the 45mph wind storm this year! The incredibly hard rain that fell early in the week let a lot of water into the yurt, but none leaked from the ceiling! It just crept in on the tarp floor. In a couple of days it was all evaporated!

There was one minor mishap: During the wind/rain storm, I realized that the door I made needed support. The door opened into the yurt via a Gorilla Tape hinge and the wind was pulling the door outward. Eventually, the pull became great enough that the door pulled on the tape hinge and tore apart part of the door panel. I taped this over and had no more problems for the rest of the burn. I learned an important lesson tho! You should put a water jug on both sides (if possible) of the door during high winds! This will keep it from blowing around in the wind and putting stress on the walls.

My final conclusion is that YES you can use 8 4x4' boards for walls and 10 4x4 Isosceles triangles for the roof. The longer trapezoidal panels from the roof can be made by taping together three of the triangle pieces. The longer walls can likewise be made from two taped together 4x4' boards. JUST MAKE SURE TO SECURE YOUR YURT WELL WITH STAKES AND ROPE!!!

Cause otherwise it'll fly away. If anyone has questions about the construction of this type of yurt, feel free to ask!
owstopit

Re: Easier to transport stretch yurt

Postby Redward » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:32 pm

I am currently working on a 6' stretch hexayurt that folds like an accordion, The hinges work so that they buckle outside and not inside. Won't let me post the picture but maybe you can get it from the description:
front and back 8' panels are cut into 2' 4' 2' sections, the 2' sections folding into the 4 foot face and rear. The side panels are also divided in 2' sections. When stretched out like accordion it is two 4' panels with six 2' panels connecting them in a zig zag on either side. The roof is in two sections. The package is 4'x'4 by 14". Model is built construction starts soon. Let me know if this helps and what you think.
Redward

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Do you have no room at all for anything 8 feet long?
What's you maximum dimension available?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Redward » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:49 pm

The folded down backseat of a toyota carolla. I am leaving about a month before the even and will be carrying my hexayurt the entire time, having it strapped to my roof will hurt my gas mileage to much. The design in model works really well, and after hearing some wind storm stories I am feeling pretty confident in my design. I will just overbuild it.
Redward

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 am

I have a Toyota Prius and can carry a seven foot spear with room to spare. The point goes somewhere in the passenger seat well and the other end near the rear window behind the driver. I have carried 8-foot 2x4's like this.
YMMMMMV!
Ugly Dougly

Postby Redward » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:21 pm

That is impressive of you. I have packed this car with more then I thought she'd hold more then once, but I cannot fit a 8x4 sheet of anything. Challenge brings innovation though.
Redward

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm

Never said sheet. Read again. :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Redward » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes I read it correctly but I didn't get how the 2x4's help the yurt.
Redward

Return to Shelter & Camping