Large Corporate Donation. Can I Accept?????

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby ygmir » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:04 pm

of course.
because, everyone who gifts anything out there, always removes the labels and makes the branding illegible.........

shit, a nice gift, is a nice gift..........

*checking for horses mouth*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby veleda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Not to burst everyone's non-commodification bubble.
I've run into numerous 'on playa' artists who have told me they are funded by corporations...

It was very upsetting when i first discovered that not everyone was participating in the concept of 'gift economy'.

That was years ago..I've mellowed...i don't like it but i've mellowed.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am

veleda wrote:Not to burst everyone's non-commodification bubble.
I've run into numerous 'on playa' artists who have told me they are funded by corporations...

It was very upsetting when i first discovered that not everyone was participating in the concept of 'gift economy'.

That was years ago..I've mellowed...i don't like it but i've mellowed.

Instead of mellowing, why not take the time to learn about how small business works? Step out of your little world and embrace a larger picture. It's not all about you.
burningquestions

Postby Eric » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:10 am

As long as corporations don't put signs up or try to use the Burning Man connection in advertising (which the Bmorg would go after), I don't understand why anyone gives a rats ass who pays for the stuff?

Everything out there was bought somewhere along the line, money changed hands. I hand forge the few gifts I give out- I still have to buy the metals, the tools, the fuel for the torch..... there is nothing free, not even "gifts"- everything gets paid for at some point.

If a corporation wants to fund something without attached advertising, whether its OJ or the Belgian Waffle (paid for by a Dutch firm) or anything in between, they should be allowed to fund it,period. They feel good, it benefits the Community (*clink*), everything is good in the end.

side note: at Piss Clear we had our phony ads that we ran in every issue, and multiple times every year we had whiny hippies come to the camp bitching about how we excepted advertising. I always asked them if they enjoyed the paper other than that, and when they said yes, I told them to thank the advertisers because someone had to pay for it. (which wasn't advertisers, but that a different story-time).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby burningquestions » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:22 am

Eric wrote:As long as corporations don't put signs up or try to use the Burning Man connection in advertising (which the Bmorg would go after), I don't understand why anyone gives a rats ass who pays for the stuff?

Everything out there was bought somewhere along the line, money changed hands. I hand forge the few gifts I give out- I still have to buy the metals, the tools, the fuel for the torch..... there is nothing free, not even "gifts"- everything gets paid for at some point.

If a corporation wants to fund something without attached advertising, whether its OJ or the Belgian Waffle (paid for by a Dutch firm) or anything in between, they should be allowed to fund it,period. They feel good, it benefits the Community (*clink*), everything is good in the end.

side note: at Piss Clear we had our phony ads that we ran in every issue, and multiple times every year we had whiny hippies come to the camp bitching about how we excepted advertising. I always asked them if they enjoyed the paper other than that, and when they said yes, I told them to thank the advertisers because someone had to pay for it. (which wasn't advertisers, but that a different story-time).

How about full disclosure for every burner? We should rank every burner's purity.

If you are bringing major corporate sponsers, advertise on your shirt or you should be required to carry a sign. Every burner must be quantified and qualified and their value determined.

Your value would be about 1 out of ten for even thinking of this. Grow your own oranges, squeeze your own oranges, and give them away for free. Otherwise, you are a bad human being.
burningquestions

Postby sandypandy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:17 am

i don't think it's anything that can or should be fixed. the event has evolved into what it is - from googleCO embedded at first camp to the casual corporate sponsorship of theme camps and art.

a gifting economy is still an economy, and the gifts are the commodity.

for me, it's just fun to poke fun at the decommodification principle. the ultimate commodification of the event being its own self-promotion. by building itself larger and larger and becoming a greater and greater spectacle the return on investment is higher ticket sales. it's style without substance and form without function, unless that function is party-time in the desert. that's fine with me. it's fun out there. just don't get caught up in thinking you're a part of something 'important'.
sandypandy

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:52 am

well said
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:02 am

Just a fucking dusty camping trip at the core.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy