Large Corporate Donation. Can I Accept?????

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby burningquestions » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:13 pm

For God's sake, polluters...

It is only because of CAPITALISM that this event is even possible. Give out the OJ and be happy we live in a free country filled with generous people and organizations.

How are you arriving at BM? Will you be driving a name brand car/truck/other type of motor vehicle? Will you be wearing name brand footwear? Did you refine your own fuel?

My apologies to the purists who actually walk to the event, whilst drinking only rainwater, and picking their own flowers for sustenance.

If you think you need to go REAL purist, you need to step up your game in a big way. A really big way. I'm not seeing that here. Go private. Go communal. Let's see what you've got.

:wink:
burningquestions

Postby dj_john69 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:14 pm

It would be dumb to say NO to 2000 boxes of good oj.

Next, please contact a nice champagne company and lets drink some mimosas. Nom Nom Nom
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:15 pm

dj_john69 wrote:It would be dumb to say NO to 2000 boxes of good oj.

Next, please contact a nice champagne company and lets drink some mimosas. Nom Nom Nom

+1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby robrob » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Not a single person said "don't take it". Hell, i'd take it if they don't.

i was just trying to offer up a way to distribute it freely among the community without it looking like a promotional sampling opportunity, that's all.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby ursditsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 pm

i'll have you know that i've been sustaining myself with only handpicked flowers and rainwater for years.
ursditsky

Postby burningquestions » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:01 pm

robrob wrote:Not a single person said "don't take it". Hell, i'd take it if they don't.

i was just trying to offer up a way to distribute it freely among the community without it looking like a promotional sampling opportunity, that's all.

Give it out as it was given to you. It's a gift. Be transparent about the gifter or don't do it at all. Why is this a bad thing?

A generous organization has done you well. Capitalism is not bad. Spread the word.
burningquestions

Postby ursditsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 pm

i didn't really post the original question to discover whether bringing the OJ is a "bad thing", each person feels it different. i posted to hear whether a random cross section of burners would want it there or not. a lot of people really enjoy the experience of not seeing much advertising or branding at the event and i've certainly enjoyed this aspect of BM also.

I posted to get a sense of people's priorities. for a random burner, how important is the [b]relative[/b] lack of logos and branding at the event, in the context of a free flow of gifts from any direction be it personal or megacorporate.

Whether the act of distributing the product is "good" or "bad" is relative and just kind of a silly question really. i just want to hear whether people would want it there or not, logo and all. based on the responses, seems that people don't mind much. some mind a bit. i definitely don't think anybody should mind more or less than they do. i want to stoke out burning man, and as a prerequisite to that want to hear about what you all are stoked and not stoked on.

if i got a majority of responses that said "orange juice is good but we don't want to see large scale product placement morph with gifting at burning man. leave the juice at home!" i wouldn't necessarily then conclude that bringing the OJ would be [i]bad[/i]...... but i wouldn't bring it, cuz what would be the point? i want to provide what the people around me are looking and hoping for.

i'm glad people seem to want yummy OJ, whatever shiny package it comes in. cuz we got dat!
ursditsky

Postby Playa Foot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 am

In order to assist with your moral quandry let us pose the following question: If DPW were offered a truckload of PBR would they accept? Even if it was not being offered by Satan?
Playa Foot

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:31 am

I have actually thought about this a lot.

I have a small project in mind, which will require a shitload of cash or some donations to make it really work.

I have called specific companies to ask for donations.
I have set my own restrictions on any use they might make of having made the donation.
I would not go beyond those without approval from the llc.

Once I finally get the right person to talk to, which is the real challenge usually, I make the pitch.
They are often baffled and fascinated.
One person asked about mentioning the donation in a tv ad, but that crosses my personal line.
I suggested using the information and packaging as a promotional item with their distributors.

So I ask them to donate a lot of stuff, then I tell them they can't use it for most conventional promotion, then I ask them to pay to cover up their own logos.
I have to record these calls.
I haven't had any no s yet, though only a few definite yesses.
They are usually fascinated.

I will probably list the donations on a separate website.
And I have mentioned that if people like something, they will usually find out what it is.

I am looking for things that would be useful on the playa.
At least one company recognizes us as a substantial market already.
They said yes.
gyre

Postby Sham » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:43 am

gyre wrote:I have a small project in mind, which will require a shitload of cash or some donations to make it really work.

You may wish to contact the U.S. Government. They are the largest distributor of negociable cash, and I am sure they would be willing to make a large donation to your project. The currency DOES advertise the U.S. on it, but you could block out any reference to them with a Sharpie(TM) marker, and then pass out this currency at will.
Please let me know if you actually pull this off, I would like to hang out around your camp at that time!
Sham

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 am

It helps some that I have some knowledge of how this works in the racing world.
It costs some companies nothing to donate.
Others are effectively shipping you a box of cash.
Those are always the tough ones.

If you have any specific knowledge about obtaining free government money without growing tobacco or something, please forward.
gyre

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:46 am

gyre wrote:It helps some that I have some knowledge of how this works in the racing world.
It costs some companies nothing to donate.
Others are effectively shipping you a box of cash.
Those are always the tough ones.

If you have any specific knowledge about obtaining free government money without growing tobacco or something, please forward.

check the gov website for social programs..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:37 am

I am thinking social welfare, just the corporate welfare size, rather than the govt cheese size checks.

Must be a way to get on the list without going into finance and crippling an entire country.
gyre

Postby This Woman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I'd take it URS, its a gift without requirements. A fairly new corporation tried to romance one of our bartenders with a "gift" of juice. At first I thought they might be same corp, but clearly not the case. Because this one wanted product placement over and above our use of other juices as well as separately displayed and available to our bar patrons. That was an easy NO!
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Gifting is gifting.

Do you try to read between the lines when a human gives you a gift?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Isotopia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:47 pm

The boxes could be MOOP, so perhaps a juice box MOOP receptacle as part of your gift?

There's that pokey camel nose sniffing under the tent again.

The boxes could indeed be MOOP and a small percentage is likely to be just that. Still, why should the onus be on the donor to provide anything to to abte the irresponsible and careless behavior of others?

In some ways I see this as just another argument in line with that of the event doing trash pick up.
Isotopia

Postby geekster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:58 pm

A few years ago we had a bluegrass jam at our camp. We gave out otter pops at the end. Then when the people left, there were several otter pop wrappers in our main hospitality area. We ended up having to pick them up anyway.

The general rule of thumb is that anything that causes people to stop for any reason results in a gentle rain of moop in the area where they are stopped.

Gum/candy wrappers, cigarette butts, matches, just about anything.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby burningquestions » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Shambala wrote:
gyre wrote:I have a small project in mind, which will require a shitload of cash or some donations to make it really work.

You may wish to contact the U.S. Government. They are the largest distributor of negociable cash, and I am sure they would be willing to make a large donation to your project. The currency DOES advertise the U.S. on it, but you could block out any reference to them with a Sharpie(TM) marker, and then pass out this currency at will.
Please let me know if you actually pull this off, I would like to hang out around your camp at that time!

This. Shambala rocks the truth. 8)
burningquestions

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:25 pm

AntiM wrote:The boxes could be MOOP, so perhaps a juice box MOOP receptacle as part of your gift?

juice boxes burn!
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Stickygreen wrote:
AntiM wrote:The boxes could be MOOP, so perhaps a juice box MOOP receptacle as part of your gift?

juice boxes burn!

No they don't. They contain aluminum and plastic as well as cardboard. That makes them toxic.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:41 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Stickygreen wrote:

juice boxes burn!

No they don't. They contain aluminum and plastic as well as cardboard. That makes them toxic.

the juice boxes I buy, contain cardboard, wax,and aluminum, and yes i recognize that burning aluminum is not good for the environment, but so is burning allot of other things.....
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Stickygreen wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Stickygreen wrote:

juice boxes burn!

the juice boxes I buy, contain cardboard, wax,and aluminum, and yes i recognize that burning aluminum is not good for the environment, but so is burning allot of other things.....

Cool! I'll bring my coal powered blast furnace!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby sandypandy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:44 am

this large corporate donation is branding - which is the company's return on their investment. nothing is free. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with it now, probably 10 years ago it would have been rightly frowned on. but now, anything goes.

i was a member of clan destino in 2003 when a group member who worked for hansen got us gifted several pallets of monster energy drink, and other hansen products. we thought great! more for the masses... it's just monster instead of redbull. who cares? people were happy.

the next year, after most of the male leaders of the camp left the group (myself included), clan destino in 2004 (lead by the women) decided that it would be a good idea to up the monster energy drink relationship. they were "gifted" a semi-truck filled with the drinks and other hansen-related novelties. the truck was emblazoned with the monster energy logo, and made a ceremonious journey at the end of the week - up the esplanade, banners blazing! monster energy drink! the new drink of burners.

at the time i was Fing pissed off for ever having any connection with these types of people who would so totally take a dump on the non-commodification principal. but you know what? now i don't give a F! bring on the branding! more corporate donations! make money while you still can out of this event. that's what it's ultimately about.
sandypandy

Postby ygmir » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:49 am

yikes!!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:44 am

Wimmin. You just can't trust 'em.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mdmf007 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:15 am

robrob wrote:Not a single person said "don't take it". Hell, i'd take it if they don't.

There was a camp that gave out 4 or 5 pallets of drinking water - I didnt care what the label said, I just appreciated the gift.

OJ mixes good with a lot of things.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby sandypandy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:52 pm

There was a camp that gave out 4 or 5 pallets of drinking water - I didnt care what the label said, I just appreciated the gift.

assuming that water was a corporate donation, it wasn't a gift in the true sense. a true gift has no expectation of return. by picking up the water, even if you didn't care about the brand, you still noticed it in some way. you still had to deal with holding the bottle until you could properly dispose of it. other people saw you holding the bottle. that's the return on that 'gift' - well worth the cost of investment.

unless you're cool with that kind of thing being done to you out there, don't take gifts that you might suspect are corporate donations - that includes that ben & jerry's ice cream at center camp stunt years back.

truth is, no one gives a S about where the next freebie is coming from - they just want the freebie. people will form a freebie-line out there so fast it will make your head spin: give me the thing! drive me on your art car! give me the experience i read about!
sandypandy

Postby dj_john69 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Any luck finding the pallet of champagne donation yet ?? :lol:
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby sandypandy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:21 pm

i don't know about champagne, but someone out there works for a sparkling wine manufacturer. shouldn't be a problem for them - just ask the boss. mumm: the sparkling wine of choice by burners!

look dude, i just got gifted this bottle of mumm! burning man is awesome.
sandypandy

Postby Isotopia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 pm

assuming that water was a corporate donation, it wasn't a gift in the true sense.

So, Sandypandy is the final arbiter of what does and doesn't constitute a gift?

Thanks for clearing that up for the rest of us uninformed schlubs.
Isotopia

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy