Roots Society and Opulent Temple Pissed About Placement?

Roots Society and Opulent Temple Pissed About Placement?

Postby slvrnmph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:16 pm

It seems like Roots Society and Opulent Temple are throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year.

Syd Gris wrote a blog post basically saying there is no appreciation for the big sound camps by the BMorg in this blog http://www.opulenttemple.org/archives/000163.php.

Roots Society wrote on their facebook page the following:
Root Society: Root Society has a new home. ur location is Baghdad and 10:00!
After a lot of coordination with BM management both Root and Opulent are going to move 2 streets back making room for some additional camps.
July 31 at 9:50am

and

Root Society: im curious, will any of you make the trek 2 streets over to come party with us??
July 31 at 9:52am

and at the end of one of their DJ lineups for this year:
Sunday Night - Sept. 5
Temple Closing Party - Root Society's Last Burner Party... ever!


Seems to me like both of these camps are upset that they didn't get prime placement and for Roots Society that seems to be enough reason to not come back to the playa. AM I completely misinterpreting this? What do other people think?

Personally, I like the ever changing nature of the playa and event and look forward to seeing new camps on the 10 and 2 corners as well as the rest of the esplanade. I think moving some of the heavy hitters farther back will help encourage people to explorer the 10 and 2 streets more.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Burning Since: 2005

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 pm

I dimly remember in '96 "Rave Camp" was about a mile away from the rest of BRC.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16320
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:21 pm

I thought they got more space by moving 2 blocks.

Shouldn't make any difference to me. I'll still find them and go dance with my wife !!
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
User avatar
HandJamMasterC
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:18 am
Location: Cameron Park CA
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm

Did anyone else have a problem reading the text on that link? I don't know if it was the color scheme or what, but I think I started having a flashback or something. Anyways, that post by OT was done in February before camp placement.
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Image
User avatar
Pink Daddy
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby sputnik » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:29 pm

White text on a black background makes my eyes hurt.
It's going to be alright.
User avatar
sputnik
 
Posts: 7822
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:17 am
Location: Detroit
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:50 pm

They themselves state that they've had the 2:00 corner for 5 years. That's a ridiculously long time to have one camp hold a corner- let someone new have 2 and 10. Moving may re-energize both Opulent & Roots. The attitude in the blog also had a "whoa-is-me we're not worshiped by the Org" taste which may have been one reason they were moved as well.

Personally, I could care less however. I know that a large percentage of the population (esp. the newer population) loves them, but to me they look & sound alike- same thumpy crap played at high decibel filled with dancing frats & sparkle ponies. I've only been to either when campmates want to explore them.

Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, original will have a shot. Not holding my breath.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:55 pm

If you build it. they will come. no matter WHERE you are.
untz untz untz untz!
don't forget to floss
User avatar
Boijoy
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Metro Mart. 4:30 Plaza
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Elliot » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:02 pm

My vote would be to move them out along 2 and 10 to about Z Street. Those who enjoy that musical style can still find them just fine by homing in on the sound.

(Note I did not say anything negative!) :D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014



ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
User avatar
Elliot
 
Posts: 5281
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Eric » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Elliot wrote:(Note I did not say anything negative!) :D


chicken
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7108
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Eric wrote:Hopefully a camp playing something, oh, I don't know, original will have a shot. Not holding my breath.


Live music, perhaps?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16320
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:31 pm

um, yeah...


i think the OP doesnt know his shit from shinola....


and as far as RS being it's last year, there are reasons that have NO RELATIONSHIP to placement...

jesus...how fucking stupid....

i have a feeling, and i may be wrong, because i do not know for certain, but i believe the reason for the "hiatus" is a direct result of the word "Mazeltov!"

figure it out...

oh, by the way, daft punk is playing the Red Lion in Elko this weekend.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby slvrnmph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm

I think Simon of the Playa doesn't know his shit from shinola.

I think I made it pretty clear I was making assumptions based on unspecific posts, and asking what people thought the real deal was.

If you know so much about what's going on, why don't you say what the deal is.

Yeah, you are a big man Simon of the Playa. Insult me some more, this is the eplaya and I really don't give a shit about what you think of me.

All I know is that I think people like you are fucking stupid. Add something to the discussion other than random insults and vague statements that are without any real information or value.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Burning Since: 2005

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:41 pm

um, i've been with root society since 2005, so i do know a LITTLE something something.



i'm just sayin'.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby slvrnmph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes, you may know a little something, but all you've done is insult me and state you know something and that you've camped with roots since 2005. Does absolutely no good to me and doesn't answer my question. Maybe keeping this supposed info you have secret helps make you feel special. Good for you then. Right now you can still fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'll change my mind if you actually state what Root's reasons for not coming back are. Then your presence on this forum may actually have value for me.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Burning Since: 2005

take another tab, you e-tard.....and chill the fuck out.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Image
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
User avatar
Simon of the Playa
 
Posts: 13856
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Rochester, Nevada.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:02 pm

FIGHT ! FIGHT ! FIGHT!! FIGHT!!

Image
don't forget to floss
User avatar
Boijoy
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Metro Mart. 4:30 Plaza
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby veleda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey all

A lot of Esplanade camps were moved off the Esplanade this year.

Mine included. Sacred Spaces. Our sister and brother camps - Red Lighting and Entheon. etc.

I'm not going to lie that I was hurt, sad, dismayed, frustrated.. and worried that after pouring my heart into having the best camp evar ; ) no one is going to see it @ 6:15 & D.

And then I realized that there is a reason why they DIDN"T PUBLISH THE MAP THIS YEAR AND MOVED MANY LONG TIME ESPLANADE CAMPS OFF THE PLAYA.

They are going for something fresh. It's going to be a surprise and I'm sure a delight.

I'm still quite worried about attendance for our music line up and workshops and events..and SEVEN amazing Chakra Temple/Chill Spaces..

but we adapted.. and we're going to make our block as awesome as can be.
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:36 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Postby Boijoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:50 pm

your camp WILL rock! and you will be close to the bathrooms! :)
don't forget to floss
User avatar
Boijoy
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Metro Mart. 4:30 Plaza
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby bdeywoo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm

slvrnmph wrote:Yes, you may know a little something, but all you've done is insult me and state you know something and that you've camped with roots since 2005. Does absolutely no good to me and doesn't answer my question. Maybe keeping this supposed info you have secret helps make you feel special. Good for you then. Right now you can still fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'll change my mind if you actually state what Root's reasons for not coming back are. Then your presence on this forum may actually have value for me.

So you do not think you completely jumped the gun assuming one had to do with the other?

Unhappy about placement=we are not comming out anymore?

I mean REALLY you make that jump?

It it what it is, all great things come to an end on the playa. Like so many other camps they probably have reached their limit of participation by the "core" members and want to move on.

Sure they are probably frustrated and a bit angry about being moved, anyone who was moved from their home of 5 years would be. I highly doubt they are childish enough to pack up their things and never come back because of it.

Perhaps if it really bothers you, you should take it up with Root and OT rather than slandering them on the board.
bdeywoo
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:19 pm
Location: Biggest Little City

Postby Pink Daddy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Don't be angry, have some corn!

Image
San Diego Co-Regional Contact (E-mail: sandiego@burningman.com) - Camp Inspiratum - What inspires you?
Image
User avatar
Pink Daddy
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:21 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:16 pm

first off i love the new placement this year. not only of the big camps with the same addresses every year but the way it is organized. i think people will be forced to explore more of the city. woo hooooo. last year people seemed to just go to where they were going and not stop and take a look around and check out new shit. i think by placing root and opulent not on esplanade will make people check out other stuff while going to and from them. i know last year i didn't see much on the 2 oclock side past the esplanade and this year i definately will as a bunch of the eplaya peoples camps will be over there grouped together. just as there are a bunch of gay camps together around 730 etc. if you take a look at where camps are placed this year i think it makes a bunch of sense, and kudos go to the placement team, and the team that created the new public plazas. its going to be cool.
Simon you fucking rock. no i said YOU FUCKING ROCK! thanks for the years of dedication and hard hard work. you will be missed during this hiatus, but all i can say is mozeltov!!!!!!! so lets all get ready for an awesome burn, and not hypothesize on how camps feel about their placement, they are where they are and there they will be!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
User avatar
curiousgnate
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 am
Location: Denver

isn't change good?

Postby xhoosier » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:41 pm

This will be only my second burn but isn't change good?

I get kind of tired going to disney land and that fucking castle is always in the middle!
User avatar
xhoosier
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Idaho
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:47 pm

The OP made an assumption that OT and RS were "throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year."

Simon tells him that's not what's happening.

OP throws a hissy fit because Simon doesn't layout *exactly* why RS says it's their final year.

How about, "It's none of your fucking business."

Seriously. Cry moar.
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
User avatar
Dr Jet Sinister
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Yehaw, TX

Postby slvrnmph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:08 pm

bdeywoo wrote:
slvrnmph wrote:Yes, you may know a little something, but all you've done is insult me and state you know something and that you've camped with roots since 2005. Does absolutely no good to me and doesn't answer my question. Maybe keeping this supposed info you have secret helps make you feel special. Good for you then. Right now you can still fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'll change my mind if you actually state what Root's reasons for not coming back are. Then your presence on this forum may actually have value for me.

So you do not think you completely jumped the gun assuming one had to do with the other?

Unhappy about placement=we are not comming out anymore?

I mean REALLY you make that jump?

It it what it is, all great things come to an end on the playa. Like so many other camps they probably have reached their limit of participation by the "core" members and want to move on.

Sure they are probably frustrated and a bit angry about being moved, anyone who was moved from their home of 5 years would be. I highly doubt they are childish enough to pack up their things and never come back because of it.

Perhaps if it really bothers you, you should take it up with Root and OT rather than slandering them on the board.


Do I think I jumped the gun? Maybe. I saw some various posts and I made inferences on what I read. And I found it suspicious that after getting moved from their "home" of 5 years that they would then decide they are not coming back to BRC, especially with various facebook posts that make it fairly clear that they are not happy about the situation. Also, if this is such a no big deal normal end of things on the playa, why doesn't Roots Society be upfront about it? The Deep End had no issue being open about their last year on the playa.

Can you explain how exactly I am slandering them? Did you even bother to read my first post? I posted that I saw some posts on websites and facebook pages. I include those posts in my post here on this forum. I asked peoples opinions. I ask if I am misinterpreting what I've read. How is that slander?

Simon of the Playa posted an attack against me. He said I didn't know shit - which I think I made it pretty clear in that first post that I don't know what's going on and am drawing conclusions and asking opinions. He also stated that my post and what I said and the questions I asked were "fucking stupid". His only response was to attack me, not to contribute to the discussion. Maybe Simon is your special friend and you can't handle someone who isn't willing to play his bullshit games, so now you feel the need to attack me too. At least you don't have to resort to name calling to do it. Once again, I don't know. What Simon thinks and what you think have absolutely no impact on my life. I'm guessing. I could be wrong. I certainly am not telepathic.

Do I really care? No, I'm just curious. But please do tell me how exactly I have "slandered" roots society or opulent temple. It's not like I stated any of this as some sort of fact. The only facts are what roots society posted on their completely public facebook page and the blog on Opulent Temple's website.

I do appreciate all the people that have posted meaningful thoughts on how the city will be different this year. I'm glad the city will be different. I also appreciate veleda's honest response about how they feel about their change in placement and how they are still going to rock anyways.
slvrnmph
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Burning Since: 2005

Re: Roots Society and Opulent Temple Pissed About Placement?

Postby capjbadger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:13 pm

slvrnmph wrote:It seems like Roots Society and Opulent Temple are throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year.

There's your answer. That was not a question.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby slvrnmph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:The OP made an assumption that OT and RS were "throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year."

Simon tells him that's not what's happening.

OP throws a hissy fit because Simon doesn't layout *exactly* why RS says it's their final year.

How about, "It's none of your fucking business."

Seriously. Cry moar.


Yes I made an assumption. Let's have god strike me down with lightening right now.

I think I've stated how I feel about Simon of the Playa's response enough. If defending myself and requesting ACTUAL INFORMATION is being a cry baby then label away.
slvrnmph
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Burning Since: 2005

Postby capjbadger » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:19 pm

slvrnmph wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:The OP made an assumption that OT and RS were "throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year."

Simon tells him that's not what's happening.

OP throws a hissy fit because Simon doesn't layout *exactly* why RS says it's their final year.

How about, "It's none of your fucking business."

Seriously. Cry moar.


Yes I made an assumption. Let's have god strike me down with lightening right now.

I think I've stated how I feel about Simon of the Playa's response enough. If defending myself and requesting ACTUAL INFORMATION is being a cry baby then label away.

You didn't ask for actual info until you were well into being all butt-hurt because someone called you on your shit-talking conclusion. Instead of "defending" yourself, maybe a "sorry" would go a lot farther. Suck it up and carry on. What are parents teaching their kids these days? Sheesh :roll:

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
User avatar
capjbadger
 
Posts: 2692
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Horus' Left Armpit
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

>>> getting bumped off Esplanade.

Postby clerkkent » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 pm

veleda wrote:
A lot of Esplanade camps were moved off the Esplanade this year.

And then I realized that there is a reason why they DIDN"T PUBLISH THE MAP THIS YEAR AND MOVED MANY LONG TIME ESPLANADE CAMPS OFF THE PLAYA.

They are going for something fresh. It's going to be a surprise and I'm sure a delight.




Going with this theory, it'll be interesting to see the result. Having citizens wander around the back streets looking for their favorite camps, while giving previously unheralded camps front row seating will stir things up for sure. I do think some "Esplanade regulars" have been getting long in the tooth, some pretty much 'phoning it in'.
User avatar
clerkkent
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: Fairfield, CA (halfway between S.F. and Sac)

Postby slvrnmph » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:38 pm

[quote="capjbadger"][quote="slvrnmph"][quote="Dr Jet Sinister"]The OP made an assumption that OT and RS were "throwing minor hissy fits over not getting prime placement this year."

Simon tells him that's not what's happening.

OP throws a hissy fit because Simon doesn't layout *exactly* why RS says it's their final year.

How about, "It's none of your fucking business."

Seriously. Cry moar.[/quote]

Yes I made an assumption. Let's have god strike me down with lightening right now.

I think I've stated how I feel about Simon of the Playa's response enough. If defending myself and requesting ACTUAL INFORMATION is being a cry baby then label away.[/quote]
You didn't ask for actual info until you were well into being all butt-hurt because someone called you on your shit-talking conclusion. Instead of "defending" yourself, maybe a "sorry" would go a lot farther. Suck it up and carry on. What are parents teaching their kids these days? Sheesh :roll:

-Badger[/quote]

Then I am sorry. I certainly didn't realize that asking if I was misinterpreting posts I read online about what seemed to be happening and asking what other people thought to get other opinions would be considered shit talking. I also was not aware that having someone say I was wrong gave that person the right to call me fucking stupid. But then this is the eplaya, so I still feel like I should know better. I will certainly be sure to clearly ask for only responses from people that have clear facts that they can openly state online. I will post on this forum like a legal document to ensure there are no further misunderstandings.

Did it ever occur to anyone here that they would be more likely to get a sorry response in the beginning if their replies didn't involve name calling, insulting and curse words? Reading posts on these forums have taught me that was the proper way to respond.
( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)
slvrnmph
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:47 pm
Burning Since: 2005

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm

everyone keeps not focusing on the

hiatus

and the mozeltov

sounds like wedding bells, and that they will be back at some point in the not so distant future to me, i don't know I'll ask Simon at root while they are setting it up on monday. ehhh. not a biggie. at least root will be there this year, and deep end is back as distrikt
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
User avatar
curiousgnate
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 am
Location: Denver

Next

Return to 2010 Theme Camps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests